Using an external editor

Comments

10 comments

Daniel Scholz

Hi Michael, have you tried to save this picture in a different directory? Photoshop, just like any other software, allows you to choose a folder where you want to save your files, doesn't this work? 

K.G. Wuensch

Why should that be needed? This would certainly break the connection Luminar had with the file when it was handed over to the other application for editing...

Michael Sonshine

Oh, yes. Of course. I could save the image to a work folder and then manually reload it into Luminar. But my question has to do with having Luminar reload the changed image file in the same way other workflow tools like CaptureOne, Dxo's PhotoLab, AlienSkin's Exposure and ACDSee's Photo Studio do. Luminar gives users the ability to send images to external editors, but does not automatically reload them after they are saved.

I do not see the logic in allowing users to send an image to an external editor for work and then not automatically reloading it to allow users to continue to work on it. I was asking if there was some way to have Luminar do that without having to go through the manual steps you mentioned. I thought that perhaps I just did not know what I needed to do to make the process seamless.

Michael Sonshine

I downloaded the new version of Luminar and found that it treats folder images very differently than Luminar 2018. It displays all of the images in any specific folder as thumbnails that can be loaded so if you use the "Open in" functionality to send an image to Photoshop or some other pixel editor, edit it and save it back to the same folder that the original was in, Luminar will display the new thumbnail and you can click on it and automatically load it.

That is enough of a solution for me as it makes Luminar a reasonable workflow tool.

Stephen Campbell

Michael, when I tried to send a file that I was working on to LR it hung LR up and I could not see anything in LR and I frankly do not know what I did to get it back to L3. I am running on a MacPro with 64GB. Any thoughts?

Michael Sonshine

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We have been traveling and I only now have a moment sitting here waiting for my wife to finish her shopping.

I have been able to repeat my success with Photoshop, so that functionality seems to work properly, but LR seems to be a bit more difficult. I did get it to work, but here is what I had to do:

1) Send an image to LR. On my system I have the latest CC version,

2) In LR, mark the image for importing and then import it,

3) Switch to Develop Mode,

4) Do whatever edits you want.

5) Export the image. The only way I was able to do this successfully was to do the following:

a) Select File -> Export ...

b) In the Export Location dialog box I picked Choose Folder Later,

c) In the File Naming dialog box I picked Filename - Sequence, although I do not think that is important,

d) I set the rest of the settings as I wished and pressed Export,

e) When the location dialog box appeared I browsed to the folder that was open in Luminar 3 and saved the image,

f) I then exited Lightroom

6) I looked in the displayed image thumbnails in L3 and scrolled down to the bottom. I found the I'm age I had just exported from LR.

I used this rather unusual sequence of steps because of issues I had when exporting to LR. I did not have the same problems you mentioned. I could see the L3 image in LR and I could import it. I could edit it but when I did a normal export from LR and returned to L3 I found that it had frozen and I could do nothing with it. I had to terminate it and restart it to get anything to work, but exiting LR after the export seems to have fixed that issue, at least for me. Let me know if this works for you or if you find some other solution.

Stephen Campbell

Michael, thank you for exploring possibilities until you found a solution and also thank you for taking time to explain the process in precise detail. I am glad you found a solution and I will keep it in mind. But, frankly it makes the workflow excessively complicated for something that should be built into by Skylum/ Luminar from the get go.

Michael Sonshine

Oh, yes, I completely agree with you.

I would not want to go through all of that to use Lightroom but, fortunately for me, I don't use LR except rarely when I might need some specific functionality like the mapping display. I only detailed what I found because I thought you might need it.

As for myself, I will use the Photoshop linkage because that works properly. I think you should file a bug report in regard to LR as the developers need to know that it is failing. If you are not going to do so please let me know so I can.

Stephen Campbell

Michael, go ahead and file it. I am working on couple of other bugs with Support and the developers.

Stephen Campbell

I have found a solution at least on a Mac but I tend to think it might also be a solution for those of you on Windows. Matt Seuss has an excellent video on not installing or uninstalling the Library. Here is the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxXokR-ayoY I encourage you all to watch it. I just followed his suggestions and I have not experienced any of the issues that I have written about on several of these forums.

While the Library concept that Skylum has designed I think will eventually prove to be awesome this initial iteration seems to be the "root of all evil" that we are experiencing.

I just went to plug-ins and transferred an image to LR. It shows up in the Import dialogue. I am going to do some minor processing and round trip it back. If you don't hear from me, it isbecause it worked!

Please sign in to leave a comment.