Luminar 3 Unusable

Comments

122 comments

Peter Nowlan

I am experiencing the same problem. I've downloaded and uninstalled 3 times and get similar results but not same results each time. 45 minutes 1st download and unable to complete; 2 hours to download and get 4000 photos but could not restart after exit. 2 hour +30 minutes 3rd attempt and system froze. I'm in Canada

Comment actions Permalink
    Peter Nowlan

PS: I am using Windows 10. When Luminar 3 is loaded the whole system slows down dramatically.

Meiko Meissner

Luminar 3 for me has been a complete pain-in-the-butt-experience to work with. Excuse my language, please. Nice ideas, sleek design...but it is so slow and crashes 2 out of the 5 times I use it. It just took longer than 10 minutes to export 44 pictures to the internal HD. Loading the catalogue or even a single picture takes ages.

I hadn't been using it for a while after I initially bought it in 2017. Then, it proved a painstakingly slow piece of software. I went back to using Apple's Aperture. This summer, I gave it a second try. No improvement. What a disappointment. I wish I could get my money back on this. 

Sorry, Skylum. I really don't get the point of developing new AI's or even a new, paid(!) version as long as the version that customers have already paid for does not work properly. 

Lloyd O'Daniel

Johan,

They did that with 2018 to 3, but they have never fixed 3. And 3 still doesn't contain features promised in 2017 to get customers to upgrade to 2018. Luminar 4 will be the same. Yes, it will add eye candy features that may or may not work as advertised either. But my belief, based on experience, is that it will still be half-assed software. I'll continue that belief until I see proof to the contrary.

The big problem with Skylum is that they promised features for L3 that never have materialized and made a big deal about having no paid upgrades in 2019. They could have kept their word on that. But they instead renamed their upgrade to Luminar 4 to renege on their promise. They keep saying that they will continue to fix and upgrade Luminar 3, but that is now in 2020 if ever. If they were legitimate, they would not put their prior promises on the back burner behind L4 development, or they would have included those features as part of the Luminar 3 free upgrade promise. It is bait-and-switch.

Robert Law

After editing photo in Luminar 3 and then trying to open another file the library can no longer display any images.

The library and film strip down the side is blank and the edited images in the edit folder can not be seen. I have to close Luminar 3 and then reopen to make the library display the images.

Thomas Helzle

Today I decided to step out of the drama with Luminar 3.

Since Skylum representatives stated that Luminar 2018 won't be updated to fully support the Fuji X-T3 (and of course only allows single image editing), Lightroom CS 6 doesn't read the X-T3 images at all (and I don't intend to follow Adobe into their raincloud), OnOne didn't convince me workflow/quality-wise and Capture One isn't exactly what I'm looking for these days, I just bought Alien Skin Exposure X4 (https://www.alienskin.com/exposure/) which now fully supports the X-T3 and has many similarities with Luminar in the creative department.
    It comes with tons of very good presets, even has DOF/Bokeh (something I use a lot), has no performance problems at all, even shows a filter preset preview on the full size image by just hovering over the preset very quickly.
    Instead of in a database, it saves the settings in a subfolder of where the original image resides, which makes it very easy to transfer edits between computers.
    They obviously know how to use file and memory cache to speed things up and I can just go to a folder on my harddrive and start working without any delay.

I had an eye on it for a while now, but still did hope that Skylum would get Luminar 3 to work as it should.
    I can't see that happen now any time soon, and the unprofessional and arrogant attitude/communication didn't exactly help.

If there are problems with your software (and there are many), acknowledge them and take responsibility for them. That allows users to support you with fixing them and keeping faith in your basic abilities.
    If on the other hand you blame users and their machines for every shortcoming and act as if there isn't anything wrong with Luminar 3 at all when it obviously still is in early beta stages, I don't feel inclined to waste any more time with you.
    If you had declared this an open beta and invited people to participate and give feedback - fine.
    If you declare this release software, I profoundly question your abilities as developers and as a company.

I wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Tom

David Ford

I reached the end of the Luminar 3 road when 3.0.2 did not deliver a usable result. I feel cheated having paid for Luminar 2018 on the promise of the new Luminar 3. It is indeed totally unusable in any productive sense and, in my view (as an ex-software tester and developer) is poorly architected in a way that no 'fixes' are ever going to address properly. What I have found in the last week, is that Alien Skin's Exposure X4 is almost exactly what I expected Luminar 3 to be. 

Over the years, I have found it important to choose software only partly on its functionality. Equally important is the company behind the software. I don't use Lightroom, despite the software being reasonably good, because ... Adobe. I won't be using Luminar 3, because it just doesn't work and because Skylum as a company won't take responsibility for a bad piece of software; choosing instead to blame users and 'older' machines - this is, in my view, inexcusable.

Very sad. The end.

Mark Ellis

Slow isn't the word for it.  Been extreamly slow since day one,  I haven't bother putting in back on my system,  To me it was a waste of money upgrading.

Meiko Meissner

Dear people from Skylum,

I keep getting emails about how I can only buy L4 for a special price for a couple of days longer..."LAST CHANCE TO BUY LUMINAR 4 FOR THE LOWEST PRICE".

I have a non-satisfactory-working L3 and - before trying you to sell me an upgrade - I would very much like you to fix L3 first so I can finally use the software I have paid for a year ago...

Is that too much to ask?

Kind regards, Meiko

Johan Puisais

Hello, I confirm that luminar 3 is incredibly slow and collapses the system under windows 10.
    Trouble loading a raw, hopelessly empty editing window ...
    Import into the catalog of new images very very slow.
    I think we are wiping the platres of this new version.

Win10 + Intel i7 + 16Go ram

Wayne McPike

Unusable. After editing an image and choosing from left hand panel a second image to edit, it hangs. Right hand panel to choose filters remains greyed out. Only option is to close program and restart. After loading folder of images it was terrribly slow and hangs. Removed folder and went with single images. Still the same.Can't seem to get anything done.

walter born

The reason why we stick here and hope for L3 to finally becomes usable is L2018, which is still a landmark piece of software...which L3 definitely is not...yet.

Second try today, no changes visible. First start still loading since 20 minutes.

Drag and drop is obviously removed. In Luminar 2018 I can drag a picture in the software. L3 does not even load a picture via open file.

Gallery invisible although it took the file structure from the first version(that scanned overnight)

Support now seems to suggest to de-install by using CC Cleaner, which I will not do. CC Cleaner tends to destroy more than to help, which is a known fact. Anyways, the way this desaster is handled says a lot about Macphun and I think we will see that firm disappear soon.

Also the mail that they sent out announcing fixes says enough about the amount of problems involved. They should simply call it back and give money back to those who bought it. I would claim for a refund if I had not bought L2018 which works fine.

Sandra Chung

I have to agree with many of the posters.. Luminar 3 as a stand alone just doesn't make the grade.  I know people wanted "Digital Asset Management" (although making your own folders on the time and date of a shoot, title by subject isn't that difficult), and Skylum tried to cobbled together Luminar with DAM.

Slow to load, slow to process, prone to the sliders just not responding.

However, using it as a plugin for CS6/CC works perfectly.

My advice? If you want to used Luminar as a stand alone, don't get the update until all these issues are resolved, or you'll just end up frustrating yourself.

Jeffrey Hirschl

After having read all of the comments on this thread and others, and considering that I have the same class of machine (and photo library) as many of the posters, I've decided to exit being a Luminar 3 software tester and just move on to other software. I consider my investment in Luminar to be a total loss; since Skylum has made no statement as to 2018 support, I must assume that is no longer a supported version.

I realize that all software has bugs. However, as other comments have observed, Luminar 3 thus far has the "feel" of alpha-grade software. As another person commented, if Skylum had declared Luminar 3 an open alpha or beta, I would have been happy to test it and provide comments, while still using Luminar 2018.

My request of Skylum is to provide either a refund or a swap to another Skylum software package (perhaps Aurora HDR) to affected users. The swap to another package could be done at minimal cost to Skylum, while still maintaining some measure of user goodwill.

Sandra Chung

I have to agree. Skylum release an alpha-beta or Pre-Release version for us to use, and then report the problems in the forum,  because they were too much in a hurry to follow the "2019" banner (my opinion) . I'm fortunate enough to have several different Raw processing programs (On1, CaptureOne, AlienSkin X4, DxO, and TopazStudio) to choose from, and for me I will keep using Luminar '2018' as a plugin.

You guys really stuffed this one up.  

Sandra Chung

@Helena Carter I have a dual boot PC.  I tried Luminar 3 on both my Windows 7 drive, and my Windows 10 drive. Luminar 3 is slow and sluggish.

Asus B85-Pro Gamer
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @3.40GHz
    32 GB ram
    Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 10 Pro, both 64bit
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    2tb + drive space.

Your company unleashed a beta version.  And no, the problems being reported weren't solved with v3.02.  I shudder to think what 3.03 will do.

I'll stick with On1PhotoRaw.

Andrew Floyd

Luminar 3 took 150 minutes to convert 1553 jpeg images and to export no l do not think lightroom is dead

David Martin

Clearly the Luminar 3 problem has not improved and I have ditched it long ago - and permanently - as an alternative. There are plenty of very good alternatives out there that actually work.

Luminar Flex works perfectly with all of the alternatives and is a delight to use.

I have been a great fan of Skylum from the early innovative offerings and it is sad to see Luminar 3 rushed out in such poor condition.

Regards,

Dave

Thomas Helzle

Same here, only problem is that it seems that Flex no longer supports opening OpenEXR files which Luminar 2018 did and which is great for me since I'm a 3D artist and EXR is my main format for rendering - Luminar is very good for giving 3D renders that special touch...

So basically I have to stay with Luminar 2018 for this and use Exposure for photo editing until maybe one day the catalogue in Luminar 3 is usable.

Cheers,

Tom

Johan Puisais

After the purchase of Luminar 3 I had to wait months before getting a usable version (but still slow), this was already outrageous, but now offer a version 4 pay less than a year after the calamitous set day is even more so.

The slightest thing would have been to offer this version 4 version 3 buyers who painfully wiped the platres.

Skilum is not respectful of its customers, I can understand that the adventure is difficult, but not to be deceived!
    Melvin Montevirgen

@Helga: My initial question was simple, Is drag and drop available/fixed in Luminar 4? Since I didn't get a straight answer, I believe that is not fixed. This was a function available in Luminar 2018/Aurora 2019.

removing such a simple function is a step-backwards for a new/beta release.

sorry, but I am not at anytime paying and upgrading to Luminar 4, considering the poor experience with Luminar 3.

I'm sticking to Luminar 2018 and most-likely shifting to Perfectly Clear.

Denis Kotsee
    1. How large is your photo library?
    2. We'll speed up the generation of previews in the next update.

3. Please send us the contents of your Luminar Library folder, so that we could investigate this issue. The default location of this folder is C:\Users\UserName\Pictures\

Here's how you can send us the files:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this post.
    David Roe

Why in the world would you let the program use One Drive?

Have taken 3 off my computer at least 2018 works right!!!

All the hype for a program that does not start up all the time, lags bad, it is a nice black eye in my book.

Jonathan Meddings

In two hours, just 50 of my photos have been imported. I just see the Reading File Structure notice. I'm not impressed so far, what is Luminar 3 doing? Surely it only has to locate my folders? 

As a Windows user I'm feeling a little left out Skylum, you keep publishing Mac tutorials, but not Windows tutorials.

John Kennington

Program will not start.  Windows gives "Program not Responding."  All I see is the splash screen.  I have installed the latest Nvidia drivers.

Followup:  I suspect the problem is a database creation error on install.  I moved all of the contents of Luminar Catalog to a temp backup location and started the program.  It started just fine and I was able to create a new database.  

Wing Tam

Yes, the speed is horrendous compared to Lightroom. My Luminar 3 boot up time is around 20 minutes for 132,499 images. This is on a 6 core Intel xtreme i7 Overclocked to 3.9ghz, 16Gb Ram. Lightroom loads in 8 seconds.

Also when I checked Task Manager, Luminar only uses 12% of the CPU power and 768meg of RAM. But Power usage is Very High.

Does it really have to reload the library every time it boots? It should know where my image Folder is, since I've already cataloged all my images from the previous boot up!

Something seriously wrong with this!

walter born

I used Luminar 2018 with great pleasure and sucess on my computers.
    L3 does not seem to be really usable.

Startup needs more than 20 minutes...in case it does not freeze.
    Building preview needed around 12 hours and still after starting it needs minutes for folders containing below 100 pictures. When you close luminar and restart it, it again needs more than 15 minutes to come up or freezes. While I worte this message, during about 25 minutes L3  did not startup yet.

Oh, an I did not find a way to save changed pictures. The menu simply does not exist to save pictures.

I have around 150000 pictures in my folders. Win 10 newest version, Ryzen 2950 16core procesor and GTX 1080 graphics card plus 32Gb Ram. CPU load during startup is pretty low so the problem is within Luminar that does not seem to use resources.

On a positive note I can mention that I am happy that Luminar 2018 ist still installed on my machine, so I can still use it until L3 is finished and usable. I really wonder if it had been tested before release.
    I have signaled all this towards support yesterday as well.

Marc Meylemans

I have a similar issue as Denis Kotsee describes above.

1. It took ages to create folders and updating its contents after the initial install of Luminar 3 (talking hours here -

2 Many folders showed '0 photos' (and was greyed out), while in reality there are definitely photos present in these directories.

It took a long time to display all the thumbnails of the pictures in each folder

3. This was basically unusable, so I decided to uninstall Luminar 3 with the thought to re-install and select only a small subfolder with pictures (much less pictures!). But after uninstall/re-install now the program fails to start again. It gets stuck on the Luminar opening logo and I cannot even point it to the particular subfolder with much less pictures (hundreds instead of many thousands of pics).

When it is showing the logo, my disk utilization for Luminar 3 is somewhere around 95% ! It is almost as if the app still seems to be 'crunching' on the much bigger set of pictures/directories that I first pointed it to...as if it was not uninstalled completely and does not restart from scratch after an uninstall/re-install cycle!

I'm using Windows 10 Home Version 1809. Hardware, Intel i7 6th gen, 24GB RAM, 2 TB HD.

David Thompson

I have the same experience of Luminar 3 not loading after the initial install and selecting a folder where all my photos are stored and it was obvious that the program was attempting to make a catalogue of all my images.
    As the above comments tried to un-install and re-install just did not work.

Here's the workaround for me, I'm using windows 7 Ultimate.
    I used an aggressive un-install program Your Uninstaller to completely remove the software. Then most importantly I searched C drive for Luminar 3 entries, finding most at Users\UserName\AppData\... etc. and deleted all that the system would allow.
    Did a hard reboot then created an empty folder/directory for the location of photos.

The re-install of the Luminar 3 then gave me the option to select a default folder for photos, which in my case was the empty folder created.
    I can now load the program for use to make edits, but still using Lightroom for my catalogues.
    And don't forget to install the Plugins from the file menu to link to Lightroom and Photoshop.

I think the people at Skylum need to address the catalogue issue when first installing the program and the load time of program launch.
    I have yet to see what happens after I create a few catalogues within Luminar 3 and if this further affects the programs loading time.

ADAM FAVRE

I cannot get the software to launch. Emailed tech support and tweeted.  No resposne yet which is fine.

Windows 10 machine. Had it running and all it would do is keep trying to populate the library for hours and nothign would respond.  I finally installed the first installation and reinstalled thinking I gave it too big a task. I now cannot get it to reinstall. have wiped every trace of it from hardrive and registry.  It hangs up on the gray LUMINAR 3 screen after launch and never even takes me to the "trial or purchase" screen.  The hard drive starts grinding and grinding and will sit for minutes and half hours or more. Wasn't sure what it was doing to my hard drive so I made it stop and have now uninstalled for the moment.  Looking to see if I see any helpful feedback anywhere before I proceed.

Please sign in to leave a comment.