Luminar 3 Unusable

Comments

122 comments

Sandra Chung

I have to agree with many of the posters.. Luminar 3 as a stand alone just doesn't make the grade.  I know people wanted "Digital Asset Management" (although making your own folders on the time and date of a shoot, title by subject isn't that difficult), and Skylum tried to cobbled together Luminar with DAM.

Slow to load, slow to process, prone to the sliders just not responding.

However, using it as a plugin for CS6/CC works perfectly.

My advice? If you want to used Luminar as a stand alone, don't get the update until all these issues are resolved, or you'll just end up frustrating yourself.

Comment actions Permalink
    Thomas Helzle

Today I decided to step out of the drama with Luminar 3.

Since Skylum representatives stated that Luminar 2018 won't be updated to fully support the Fuji X-T3 (and of course only allows single image editing), Lightroom CS 6 doesn't read the X-T3 images at all (and I don't intend to follow Adobe into their raincloud), OnOne didn't convince me workflow/quality-wise and Capture One isn't exactly what I'm looking for these days, I just bought Alien Skin Exposure X4 (https://www.alienskin.com/exposure/) which now fully supports the X-T3 and has many similarities with Luminar in the creative department.
    It comes with tons of very good presets, even has DOF/Bokeh (something I use a lot), has no performance problems at all, even shows a filter preset preview on the full size image by just hovering over the preset very quickly.
    Instead of in a database, it saves the settings in a subfolder of where the original image resides, which makes it very easy to transfer edits between computers.
    They obviously know how to use file and memory cache to speed things up and I can just go to a folder on my harddrive and start working without any delay.

I had an eye on it for a while now, but still did hope that Skylum would get Luminar 3 to work as it should.
    I can't see that happen now any time soon, and the unprofessional and arrogant attitude/communication didn't exactly help.

If there are problems with your software (and there are many), acknowledge them and take responsibility for them. That allows users to support you with fixing them and keeping faith in your basic abilities.
    If on the other hand you blame users and their machines for every shortcoming and act as if there isn't anything wrong with Luminar 3 at all when it obviously still is in early beta stages, I don't feel inclined to waste any more time with you.
    If you had declared this an open beta and invited people to participate and give feedback - fine.
    If you declare this release software, I profoundly question your abilities as developers and as a company.

I wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Tom

David Martin

You have summed its up perfectly .... there are plenty of alternatives out there and I find the manner in which Skylum appear to shift the problem onto the customer instead of accepting responsibility for a very poor software release .... very strange.

I will not be dabbling in things Skylum in future having contributed since the original MacPhun development started.

Shame.

Jeffrey Hirschl

After having read all of the comments on this thread and others, and considering that I have the same class of machine (and photo library) as many of the posters, I've decided to exit being a Luminar 3 software tester and just move on to other software. I consider my investment in Luminar to be a total loss; since Skylum has made no statement as to 2018 support, I must assume that is no longer a supported version.

I realize that all software has bugs. However, as other comments have observed, Luminar 3 thus far has the "feel" of alpha-grade software. As another person commented, if Skylum had declared Luminar 3 an open alpha or beta, I would have been happy to test it and provide comments, while still using Luminar 2018.

My request of Skylum is to provide either a refund or a swap to another Skylum software package (perhaps Aurora HDR) to affected users. The swap to another package could be done at minimal cost to Skylum, while still maintaining some measure of user goodwill.

David Ford

I reached the end of the Luminar 3 road when 3.0.2 did not deliver a usable result. I feel cheated having paid for Luminar 2018 on the promise of the new Luminar 3. It is indeed totally unusable in any productive sense and, in my view (as an ex-software tester and developer) is poorly architected in a way that no 'fixes' are ever going to address properly. What I have found in the last week, is that Alien Skin's Exposure X4 is almost exactly what I expected Luminar 3 to be. 

Over the years, I have found it important to choose software only partly on its functionality. Equally important is the company behind the software. I don't use Lightroom, despite the software being reasonably good, because ... Adobe. I won't be using Luminar 3, because it just doesn't work and because Skylum as a company won't take responsibility for a bad piece of software; choosing instead to blame users and 'older' machines - this is, in my view, inexcusable.

Very sad. The end.

Sandra Chung

I have to agree. Skylum release an alpha-beta or Pre-Release version for us to use, and then report the problems in the forum,  because they were too much in a hurry to follow the "2019" banner (my opinion) . I'm fortunate enough to have several different Raw processing programs (On1, CaptureOne, AlienSkin X4, DxO, and TopazStudio) to choose from, and for me I will keep using Luminar '2018' as a plugin.

You guys really stuffed this one up.  

Helena Carter

Hello Everyone,

We're really sorry about your experience. We're improving Luminar 3 performance with each update and our developers are working hard on it. We never blame our customers for the old machines, our software just has the system requirements which are essential for the smooth performance. 

Jeffrey, as to your refund request, please, reach our Support Team here https://skylum.com/support and we'll gladly discuss it. It won't be a problem to provide you with a copy of Aurora HDR 2019 using your purchase of Luminar 3 as a credit. Hope to hear from you soon.

As to pre-release, we have a new blog post on this topic. Please, check it out, here we describe how the soft launch work: https://skylum.com/blog/what-is-a-soft-launch

Nevertheless, if you're facing any issues with Luminar 3, please, don't hesitate to get in touch. Currently, we're investigating most common issues and majority of them already have the solutions. 

Best regards

David Martin

Just to be clear .... the Luminar 3 specifications required are:

Early 2010 or newer [2012]

MacOS 10.11 or higher [10.14.3]

RAM 8GB or more [16GB]

Disk Space 10GB or more [400GB]

My machine meets these requirements [figures in brackets] so to suggest "problems with older machines' is kicking the can down the road. The problem is with Luminar 3.

Sandra Chung

@Helena Carter I have a dual boot PC.  I tried Luminar 3 on both my Windows 7 drive, and my Windows 10 drive. Luminar 3 is slow and sluggish.

Asus B85-Pro Gamer
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @3.40GHz
    32 GB ram
    Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 10 Pro, both 64bit
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    2tb + drive space.

Your company unleashed a beta version.  And no, the problems being reported weren't solved with v3.02.  I shudder to think what 3.03 will do.

I'll stick with On1PhotoRaw.

Nacho Maans

Same issue as many posters: perpetually stuck at 0% of "Updating Image Gallery". Luminar 3.0.2 is unusable.

Using a MacBook Pro 2018 with latest macOS

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Nacho, 

I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

Please try the following solutions:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Start Luminar. Click File > Catalog > Open > navigate inside the folder you renamed in Step 3 > double-click Luminar Catalog.catalog file.

If the 4 steps above don't help:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Open Finder.
    5. Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    6. Launch Terminal.
    7. Paste the following string into the Terminal window: defaults delete com.macphun.luminar3
    8. Press Enter on your keyboard.
    9. Close Terminal.
    10. Launch Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup. Go through the initial setup. Leave the location of the catalog at the default (in Pictures folder).

If the 10 steps above don't help:

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    2. Right-click the Luminar Catalog folder > click Compress and wait for the process to finish.
    3. Send to the support the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.
    4. Also please let us know where are your photos stored, and where was your Luminar Catalog stored prior to when this issue appeared.

If the issue remains please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support

Andrew Floyd

Luminar 3 took 150 minutes to convert 1553 jpeg images and to export no l do not think lightroom is dead

Kate Williams

Hi Andrew, 

We are continuously improving the performance of the app and we will make sure to make Luminar faster in future updates.

If you want us to take a deeper look into your case, please, get in touch with our support team at http://www.skylum.com/support 

Thanks in advance. 

David Martin

Clearly the Luminar 3 problem has not improved and I have ditched it long ago - and permanently - as an alternative. There are plenty of very good alternatives out there that actually work.

Luminar Flex works perfectly with all of the alternatives and is a delight to use.

I have been a great fan of Skylum from the early innovative offerings and it is sad to see Luminar 3 rushed out in such poor condition.

Regards,

Dave

Thomas Helzle

Same here, only problem is that it seems that Flex no longer supports opening OpenEXR files which Luminar 2018 did and which is great for me since I'm a 3D artist and EXR is my main format for rendering - Luminar is very good for giving 3D renders that special touch...

So basically I have to stay with Luminar 2018 for this and use Exposure for photo editing until maybe one day the catalogue in Luminar 3 is usable.

Cheers,

Tom

Helena Carter

Hi Thomas,

We're working on implementing this format support in the future, however, there's no ETA yet.

Still, you can help us a bit and send your OpenEXR files samples to support@skylum.comthat will be much appreciated.

Best regards

Thomas Helzle

Helena - it worked already in Luminar 2018, you actually removed the format from Flex/Luminar 3... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Raw M

yea it's awful slow. fix it please

Mark Ellis

Slow isn't the word for it.  Been extreamly slow since day one,  I haven't bother putting in back on my system,  To me it was a waste of money upgrading.

Kate Williams

Hi Raw, Mark, 

Please contact us at https://skylum.com/support if you'd like us to investigate your cases. We'll be happy to help. 

Melvin Montevirgen

I'm running both Luminar 2018 and 3. Luminar 3 still doesn't allow drag and drop from windows explorer into an open Luminar 3.

Does anyone know if this is also apparent in Luminar 4? I don't think its even worth paying for the upgrade at this point with a broke function. I'll probably stick to 2018 for a few more years.

Helga Rowles

Hi Melvin, you can drag and drop a photo to the Luminar 3 icon (if the application is closed) to open it for Quick Edit. I'll make sure to pass on your vote for this functionality to our developers team.

Meiko Meissner

Luminar 3 for me has been a complete pain-in-the-butt-experience to work with. Excuse my language, please. Nice ideas, sleek design...but it is so slow and crashes 2 out of the 5 times I use it. It just took longer than 10 minutes to export 44 pictures to the internal HD. Loading the catalogue or even a single picture takes ages.

I hadn't been using it for a while after I initially bought it in 2017. Then, it proved a painstakingly slow piece of software. I went back to using Apple's Aperture. This summer, I gave it a second try. No improvement. What a disappointment. I wish I could get my money back on this. 

Sorry, Skylum. I really don't get the point of developing new AI's or even a new, paid(!) version as long as the version that customers have already paid for does not work properly. 

Johan Puisais

After the purchase of Luminar 3 I had to wait months before getting a usable version (but still slow), this was already outrageous, but now offer a version 4 pay less than a year after the calamitous set day is even more so.

The slightest thing would have been to offer this version 4 version 3 buyers who painfully wiped the platres.

Skilum is not respectful of its customers, I can understand that the adventure is difficult, but not to be deceived!
    Lloyd O'Daniel

Johan,

They did that with 2018 to 3, but they have never fixed 3. And 3 still doesn't contain features promised in 2017 to get customers to upgrade to 2018. Luminar 4 will be the same. Yes, it will add eye candy features that may or may not work as advertised either. But my belief, based on experience, is that it will still be half-assed software. I'll continue that belief until I see proof to the contrary.

The big problem with Skylum is that they promised features for L3 that never have materialized and made a big deal about having no paid upgrades in 2019. They could have kept their word on that. But they instead renamed their upgrade to Luminar 4 to renege on their promise. They keep saying that they will continue to fix and upgrade Luminar 3, but that is now in 2020 if ever. If they were legitimate, they would not put their prior promises on the back burner behind L4 development, or they would have included those features as part of the Luminar 3 free upgrade promise. It is bait-and-switch.

Sandra Chung

They dumped a beta version on us, then had the audacity to say the problems with it were our computers.  No updates/upgrades in the entire year, and a notice that they've come out  with a new version?  Carrot and stick much?  Many will buy the new one in hopes that it actually works this time. 

Me? I'm just going to keep using 2018, and if it can't read newer RAW files, I will use it as a plugin for Photoshop. 

Melvin Montevirgen

@Helga: My initial question was simple, Is drag and drop available/fixed in Luminar 4? Since I didn't get a straight answer, I believe that is not fixed. This was a function available in Luminar 2018/Aurora 2019.

removing such a simple function is a step-backwards for a new/beta release.

sorry, but I am not at anytime paying and upgrading to Luminar 4, considering the poor experience with Luminar 3.

I'm sticking to Luminar 2018 and most-likely shifting to Perfectly Clear.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Melvin! It wasn't the "No" answer. There is just no info on that yet. You will be able to test it on your own soon.

Meiko Meissner

Dear people from Skylum,

I keep getting emails about how I can only buy L4 for a special price for a couple of days longer..."LAST CHANCE TO BUY LUMINAR 4 FOR THE LOWEST PRICE".

I have a non-satisfactory-working L3 and - before trying you to sell me an upgrade - I would very much like you to fix L3 first so I can finally use the software I have paid for a year ago...

Is that too much to ask?

Kind regards, Meiko

Thomas Helzle

What a strange company. 2018 was really good, opened unexpected formats like EXR, had a very flexible system to place filters however one wants and even repeat them multiple times. No database so it was hard to use as a main application but what it did was solid.

Version 3 was unusable for most of the year, the speed was absurd, the workflow too limited and the whole system "too small" in focus.
    Now it's at least working, although it's still not exactly giving me an experience I find good. It seems Skylums focus is mosty on home and casual users, for professionals there is just too much basic stuff missing and we do not need "one click" solutions but flexibility and depth, image data and structure for our huge libraries, not just one large wall of pixels.

Now Version 4 is announced and it looks as if one of the strong points of Luminar is history, the ability to use the filters in any way, order and number I want. And it also looks like more focus on one-click stuff instead of using the good image tech they undisputedly have to make Luminar into a powerful tool for pros.

It's their software of course, but I personally do not understand the direction this is going at all - less features and flexibility with each release? Outch.

Cheers,

Tom

Please sign in to leave a comment.