Luminar 3 Unusable

Comments

122 comments

Nick Barber

No joy at all with the first update for me. My previous issue was that Luminar 3, after importing all my images, doesn't go beyond the initial splash screen - I just get a spinning wheel. As per the email, instructions I uninstalled the programme and reinstalled using the previous installer which would download the latest version. Did that and tried to start Luminar 3, only to get exactly the same problem as before. Looking at Task manager (Windows 7, 16 gig of RAM, i7 processor) the memory bloating is actually worse - about 10% more usage than before the supposed fix.

Comment actions Permalink
    Darryl Brooks

Yeah, new update crashed building initial gallery same as the original.

Sandra Chung

Yikes! I typed too soon.  The update has just stopped short of bricking the program.  It takes 10 minutes to just get past the splash screen, and that's with both Windows 7 and Windows 10. It loads up quicker if just used as a Photoshop plugin. The splash screen disappears in under two minutes.  The Digital Asset management cobbled into Luminar isn't an asset.. it's more like a royal pain in the @ss

Asus B85-Pro Gamer, 32gb ,CPU Xeon(R) E3-1231v2 3.40GHz, GeForce GTX 1070 w/4GB DDR3 ram.

Your program should NOT be running this slow.

walter born

The reason why we stick here and hope for L3 to finally becomes usable is L2018, which is still a landmark piece of software...which L3 definitely is not...yet.

Second try today, no changes visible. First start still loading since 20 minutes.

Drag and drop is obviously removed. In Luminar 2018 I can drag a picture in the software. L3 does not even load a picture via open file.

Gallery invisible although it took the file structure from the first version(that scanned overnight)

Support now seems to suggest to de-install by using CC Cleaner, which I will not do. CC Cleaner tends to destroy more than to help, which is a known fact. Anyways, the way this desaster is handled says a lot about Macphun and I think we will see that firm disappear soon.

Also the mail that they sent out announcing fixes says enough about the amount of problems involved. They should simply call it back and give money back to those who bought it. I would claim for a refund if I had not bought L2018 which works fine.

Bert Schmitz

When I installed L3 and had downloaded my 42000 images, it could not be opened anymore.  After complaining, Skylum send me an e-mail that told me to remove my images from L3 and download them as separate folders. What was crazy as I have hundreds of folders.  After the latest update all my images downloaded but it takes a long time to open a file.  Working in L3 is extremely SLOOOOW and a few times the whole program has stopped working while editing an image.  This program is not ready and uses their customers as Beta testers.  (See how much so called fixes there are in the first update, and it still does not work correct.)  I for one have enormous buyer's remorse, I had hoped that this could replace my "Lightroom 6" but even as that is slow, it is still much faster than L3 and never stops or crashes.  I don't think you will stay long in business with releasing a buggy program like this.  I think you should consider giving people for whom the program does not work there money back.  I have Windows10 with the latest update.

Heinz Quenteux

I also had the database error. I sent catalog files to their support. They told me that the problem is due to bad Exif data. They asked me to rebuild the database and use another folder than the one that contains the photo with bad Exif data. I cannot image a more silly advice like that one. I own hundreds of folders and Lightroom doesn't have any problem creating a catalog. So for me Luminar isn't an alternative to Lightroom and i hope that people won't buy the program any more. I never experienced something like that.

Peter Halter

Same Problem: Opening Luminar 3 takes a lot of time (>50 sec), browsing through the catalog is slow

>53.000 Pics
    Program and catalog/Cache stored on SSD
    AMD Ryzen 7 / 3.8 GHz; 16 GB RAM; Geforce 1060;  3840x2160 on a 32" Display; Win 10 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Peter,

We're aware of the performance issues, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

We will release an update meant to target these issues at the end of January - beginning of February.

Denis Kotsee

@tim roach 

1. Did the thumbnails go black immediately after you added a folder to your library?
    2. Are all the thumbnails black?
    3. What is the camera model that the images that display black were shot on?
    4. Did you move the images to another location on your drive or in Luminar?
    5. If the thumbnails didn't go black immediately after you added a folder to your library, can you remember what preceded the issue? Did you apply any edits to any of the images? If yes, what edits did you apply?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

tim roach

Now here is some other weird things that are happening. 

#1: When I try to save a preset to use on  other photos that has multiple layers nothing but the top layer is saving.

#2:If I copy a settings from a photo to use on another photo everything copies over INCLUDING the file name of the photo I copied from! So what happens is after the paste is applied and I go to save the new photo to jpg it now has the filename of the photo the copied settings came from instead of the photo I pasted them to.

#3: When I am working on a photo and move on to another photo in the same library then go back to the photo I was working on Luminar sometimes will keep all the develope settings greyed out and never switch the photos along the bottom[default view mode} to the photo I just went back to.

all 3 of these happen on both my PC and MAC versions

.... just a start for now. I am sure I can have more later.

tim roach

In reply to your previous question, all this occurs on a fresh library, no deleting or changing of anything. Just trying manuver around in the library to pic different photos to edit causes those problems. The black thumbnails was usually after an edit. The 2 camera brands I use are Sony and Nikon.

Leila Evans

@tim roach - We are aware of these issues, but could you please answer the questions (1-5) my colleague asked you previously? 

tim roach

@tim roach 

1. Did the thumbnails go black immediately after you added a folder to your library? um no, they usually went black after I started clicking on either the library window or switching to the edit tab and back again.     But FYI this problem seems to have been cured with this latest update 301 [2751]
    2. Are all the thumbnails black? see above
    3. What is the camera model that the images that display black were shot on? I only have Sony and Nikon but it would happen with any library folder. Even jpgs
    4. Did you move the images to another location on your drive or in Luminar? nope
    5. If the thumbnails didn't go black immediately after you added a folder to your library, can you remember what preceded the issue? Did you apply any edits to any of the images? If yes, what edits did you apply? Sometimes, Usually it happened after I started to switch between edit and library windows. Sometimes not changing anything then sometimes after an edit.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I am running a 2011 imac with 8g ram and 500g ssd the drives I was reading the raw images from was external usb.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Tim, thank you for your cooperation, we have forwarded all the info to our technical department.

Steve Mekler

My Luminar 3 doesn't load in Windows 10.  It seems to be running the hard drive with no end and the opening page remains frozen on the screen showing a bunch of frozen images.  Why in the world would Skylum put a Windows version that doesn't work??????????? This is just unbelievable.  I would rather have kept waiting for something usable.  Are you guys for real, or is this just a sad joke to irritate consumers?

Denis Kotsee
    1. Did Luminar launch before or are you having issues on the first launch?
    2. If this is not the first time you're launching Luminar, have you successfully completed the initial setup (a series of windows where you create a catalog and add a folder with photos)? Were there any issues during the process?
    3. If you have successfully added a folder with photos to Luminar: what is the location your folder is at, and how large it is (how many files / how much space does it take up on your HDD)?
    4. Were you able to successfully work on photos in Luminar before?
    5. What was the last thing you can remember that you did in Luminar before encountering the issue?
    Paul Harding

Each opening of Luminar 3 on an up to date iMac with 16 gig of RAM sees a 'spinning wheel' as the program struggles to load. On my second computer it was worse and never able to transfer Photos Library into Luminar 3? Never had this problem with Aperture.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Paul,

Please reach out to our support team at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to investigate.

Stefan Andel

Installed new Luminar 3 on Windows 10. First start: "Reading File Structure" - seems to me, that will read forever ... As I see, this is very common problem with this software. Why your developers do nothing with this problem? But, my mistake I bought Luminar, especially after trying Aurora from the same company. Performance of Aurora was also very pure ... I switched to Photomatics, no problem with that software. 

Anastasia Davis

Hi Stefan! I am sorry for the inconveniences. It seems that something hinders Luminar to read a file structure of catalog. Could you try removing your catalog?

On Windows:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.

Best regards,

Walter Born

New version, downloaded today. Installation hangs at 54% and says no internet connection. Restart, then it installs. Startup slow, but faster than last time. Seems to build a catalog. Nothing shows up afterwards. New (slow) start,seems to work, adding a folder with 125000 pictures on NAS. Takes a while, not very long. So far it seems the main reason for all the trouble had been removed. Now I can work and check the functions.

Anastasia Davis

@Walter Thanks for the feedback. As far as I understood everything is fine now. Please let us know if there are any issues.

David Martin

Luminar 3 is unuseable in it's present state. Spinning balls every time it starts up and takes forever each time. I have removed it completely and re-installed 3.0.2

I shall be removing it completely now and look forward to trying again when it truly comes out of Beta ....

Stefan Andel

From my experience, Luminar needs a little better hardware for its good performance. On old machines, it is very difficult to get from it, what it is able to do. When installing, choose empty working directory. It will start more quickly, without long waiting time to get into the program.

Anastasia Davis

@Stefan You are right, older machines have some issues with Luminar. As for the newer ones, we have a great amount of positive feedback on 3.0.2.

David Martin

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

That may well be but I won't be buying a new machine to cope with Luminar 3 development. (I can pay a sub to Adobe for the next 20 years and get a first class package that works properly all the time)

Thomas Helzle

Well, if each and every other photo editor performs well on a machine and Luminar  doesn't, I think it's statistically not totally invalid to assume that something is wrong with Luminar.

My machine has 64 GB RAM, a 6 core i7 @ 4.1 GHz, a GeForce GTX 1080 TI + a GTX 980 TI running Windows 8.1 x64 and Luminar 3 still performs very badly.

And my recent experience with the batch function convinced me that the Luminar crew, while being very good with imaging code, doesn't have a hint of a clue when it comes to proper file IO. The batch converter seems to load ALL images one throws in into memory at once, trying to create thumbnails. It took over 40 GB of RAM for that with ~64 RAW images. And I was already on the next page from the thumbnail page, so it wasn't only done in the most idiotic way possible, but also continued for more than half an hour after I LEFT that page with the thumbnails... And only THEN it started to actually batch convert - where memory consumption fell to ~3-4 GB...
    That has nothing to do with my machine, but with the programmer writing the software...

The pathetic messages from the support team make it only worse actually.

My impression so far is, that the file IO is done in such an idiotic way that it chokes everything else. Each parameter or other change seems to trigger multiple simultaneous reads and writes that drive any normal HD into a frenzy. On a SSD it may not be so obvious, but it still is very very bad practice.

Blaming the users and their machine does not help anybody.

Cheers,

Tom

Stefan Andel

I agree, Luminar could be quite good software, but there are some problems in its implementation. As I wrote in my first comment: "Why your developers do nothing with this problem?" ... What you wrote above, seems to be true.

Daniel DiBernardo

Downloaded the latest update with no issues.  Took a long time to load the gallery with images, but all looked good at this point.

Went into the program to try processing a few photos.  2 out of three times the program crashed, and in all cases the sliders seemed stuck and would not move smoothly or at all.  A few times clicking on space next to the slider made it jump to that spot, but overall, the program is still pitiful. 

My PC is an HP with Intel Core I7-6700K, 4 GZ CPU, 24 Gigs of Ram, NVidia Geoforce GTX 745.

I use On1 Raw, Photoshop Elements 14, Topaz Studio and other Topaz programs.Nik Software, PhotoMatix 6.0 and Aurora with zero issues.  Was hoping Luminar would work as advertised, unfortunately, this is still useless software, and money wasted.  I would never recommend this product to anyone.

David Martin

The reply from Thomas Helzle above confirms my worst suspicions .... that the code is rubbish.

Why on earth does it take equally long to start up even AFTER it has catalogued your photos?

Why does it show 0% progress while the dreaded beach ball of death spins intermittently away?

Expectations were raised that an alternative DAM to LR would be supplied by MUM3 and you were obviously running into problems meeting those expectations. As a result (I guess) the decision was taken to release software under pressure from the public when the software was nowhere near meeting those expectations.

Sad because Luminar 2018 is solid and useful as a standalone or as a plugin from LR.

I use all the above programs plus Capture One and a few others and have never had a problem with any of them despite my machine starting to getting a little long in the tooth.

Instead of blaming the customer for not upgrading his machine every 6 months you would do yourself a favour realising that you have released a program long before it is vaguely competitive at any price.

Good luck out there!

Dave

Please sign in to leave a comment.