Luminar 3 Unusable

Comments

127 comments

Darryl Brooks

Maurits posted some good stuff (what order is this forum in, btw, his is the latest post and is in the middle of the first page. 

The program does give you the option of where to put the library, but it doesn't work. You click the link to move it to a new folder, but the windows dialog it uses is looking for a filename, not a folder. I've tried run as admin also, but will play around with the defender settings tomorrow. I have to assume that A) most of the people for whom it works are on Apple, B) Most where it doesn't are on PCs and hopefully, C) Skylim is working hard and fast on a fix. It seems that none of the photo editing companies spend any time testing on Windows machines. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Sandra Chung

Yikes! I typed too soon.  The update has just stopped short of bricking the program.  It takes 10 minutes to just get past the splash screen, and that's with both Windows 7 and Windows 10. It loads up quicker if just used as a Photoshop plugin. The splash screen disappears in under two minutes.  The Digital Asset management cobbled into Luminar isn't an asset.. it's more like a royal pain in the @ss

Asus B85-Pro Gamer, 32gb ,CPU Xeon(R) E3-1231v2 3.40GHz, GeForce GTX 1070 w/4GB DDR3 ram.

Your program should NOT be running this slow.

Heinz Quenteux

I also had the database error. I sent catalog files to their support. They told me that the problem is due to bad Exif data. They asked me to rebuild the database and use another folder than the one that contains the photo with bad Exif data. I cannot image a more silly advice like that one. I own hundreds of folders and Lightroom doesn't have any problem creating a catalog. So for me Luminar isn't an alternative to Lightroom and i hope that people won't buy the program any more. I never experienced something like that.

Thomas Helzle

Well, if each and every other photo editor performs well on a machine and Luminar  doesn't, I think it's statistically not totally invalid to assume that something is wrong with Luminar.

My machine has 64 GB RAM, a 6 core i7 @ 4.1 GHz, a GeForce GTX 1080 TI + a GTX 980 TI running Windows 8.1 x64 and Luminar 3 still performs very badly.

And my recent experience with the batch function convinced me that the Luminar crew, while being very good with imaging code, doesn't have a hint of a clue when it comes to proper file IO. The batch converter seems to load ALL images one throws in into memory at once, trying to create thumbnails. It took over 40 GB of RAM for that with ~64 RAW images. And I was already on the next page from the thumbnail page, so it wasn't only done in the most idiotic way possible, but also continued for more than half an hour after I LEFT that page with the thumbnails... And only THEN it started to actually batch convert - where memory consumption fell to ~3-4 GB...
    That has nothing to do with my machine, but with the programmer writing the software...

The pathetic messages from the support team make it only worse actually.

My impression so far is, that the file IO is done in such an idiotic way that it chokes everything else. Each parameter or other change seems to trigger multiple simultaneous reads and writes that drive any normal HD into a frenzy. On a SSD it may not be so obvious, but it still is very very bad practice.

Blaming the users and their machine does not help anybody.

Cheers,

Tom

David Martin

You have summed its up perfectly .... there are plenty of alternatives out there and I find the manner in which Skylum appear to shift the problem onto the customer instead of accepting responsibility for a very poor software release .... very strange.

I will not be dabbling in things Skylum in future having contributed since the original MacPhun development started.

Shame.

David Martin

Just to be clear .... the Luminar 3 specifications required are:

Early 2010 or newer [2012]

MacOS 10.11 or higher [10.14.3]

RAM 8GB or more [16GB]

Disk Space 10GB or more [400GB]

My machine meets these requirements [figures in brackets] so to suggest "problems with older machines' is kicking the can down the road. The problem is with Luminar 3.

Nacho Maans

Same issue as many posters: perpetually stuck at 0% of "Updating Image Gallery". Luminar 3.0.2 is unusable.

Using a MacBook Pro 2018 with latest macOS

Thomas Helzle

Helena - it worked already in Luminar 2018, you actually removed the format from Flex/Luminar 3... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Raw M

yea it's awful slow. fix it please

Melvin Montevirgen

I'm running both Luminar 2018 and 3. Luminar 3 still doesn't allow drag and drop from windows explorer into an open Luminar 3.

Does anyone know if this is also apparent in Luminar 4? I don't think its even worth paying for the upgrade at this point with a broke function. I'll probably stick to 2018 for a few more years.

Sandra Chung

They dumped a beta version on us, then had the audacity to say the problems with it were our computers.  No updates/upgrades in the entire year, and a notice that they've come out  with a new version?  Carrot and stick much?  Many will buy the new one in hopes that it actually works this time. 

Me? I'm just going to keep using 2018, and if it can't read newer RAW files, I will use it as a plugin for Photoshop. 

Thomas Helzle

What a strange company. 2018 was really good, opened unexpected formats like EXR, had a very flexible system to place filters however one wants and even repeat them multiple times. No database so it was hard to use as a main application but what it did was solid.

Version 3 was unusable for most of the year, the speed was absurd, the workflow too limited and the whole system "too small" in focus.
    Now it's at least working, although it's still not exactly giving me an experience I find good. It seems Skylums focus is mosty on home and casual users, for professionals there is just too much basic stuff missing and we do not need "one click" solutions but flexibility and depth, image data and structure for our huge libraries, not just one large wall of pixels.

Now Version 4 is announced and it looks as if one of the strong points of Luminar is history, the ability to use the filters in any way, order and number I want. And it also looks like more focus on one-click stuff instead of using the good image tech they undisputedly have to make Luminar into a powerful tool for pros.

It's their software of course, but I personally do not understand the direction this is going at all - less features and flexibility with each release? Outch.

Cheers,

Tom

Sandra Chung

Really? After a few years of problems, you still respond with "contact us to investigate'?  

Allow import albums and folders already created. It's asinine for me to have every album/folder I have created over the course of 15 years have to be RE-created in Luminar, or I have to have every flipping photo in one HUGE window, and having to slog through them all. It's stupid. How difficult is it to make Luminar accept drag and dropped folders?

Nevermind.  I re-iterate. Use Luminar as plugin for OTHER photo processing programs.

Danny Ruben

I have found that if the Luminar catalogue is in a OneDrive folder there is a lock on the PC.

If you are using Luminar in a OneDrive folder, try closing all Luminar tasks in task manager, letting OneDrive complete synchronisation and then pause OneDrive before opening Luminar.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Peter,

Please send us the information listed by Denis Kotsee above to support@skylum.com and we'll investigate.

Milan Vjestica

I am getting the "Database Opening Failed" message. I tried the recommended reboot, same result. I have sent the catalog file through via the method provided. 

Also operating on Windows 10. 

Ken Stadtman

I'm having the same issue as many users. I'm on Windows 10 Pro. Initial cataloging of image folders appeared to complete successfully but when invoking Luminar 3, it asks for a trial or user key. No matter what I select, the program aborts with no error message after about 15 seconds.

Pasquale Vinelli

I just had a similar problem,the installation is quick but when i click on the lunch button it pops out a small message failed to load database and it remains the small luminar splash screen...i have to kill the process in the task menager  to close it.

Thomas Helzle

Got the update today. The intro screen told me to point it to my photo folder. After 30 minutes it's at 3%...

OMG...

Edit: After 4 hours it's at 6%... 

Peter Nowlan

https://we.tl.t-6nEk0s9uYO

this only consist of 2 gb out of 45. It took 15 minutes to transfer. to do all would take 4 hours plus

David Roe

To be fair.......  yeah I am back.....

Uninstalled Luminar 3, cleaned out every trace that could be found.

DISABLED the One Drive Cloud from Microsoft. (Who should never be trusted with my files BTW)

Re-installed Lunimar 3

Created a Folder and did not use the picture folder.  Dropped about 5 gigs of raw files in a directory in it.

Fired up once complete, did the activate thing and boom.

It loads, the library loads, pick a pix and edit away.....  it seems to work as one would expect.  Still a little on the slow side but now I would say something went right.

Is it a Lightroom killer?  Once everything is figured out on how it all works I would say yes. 

BTW I loved 2018 and it did replace LItghtroom for the most part.

There are some things that I have questions about but at least now it works.  Testing to proceed.

Darryl Brooks

Same here, but never finished building library. Constant crashes. Uninstall and resinstall, same result. 30K images in library. Crashes between 5 and 25%. Have opened a ticket, but uninstalled for now. Either it works or it doesn't, and right now, it doesn't.

Paul Judkins

My Luminar hangs on zero while updating the catalog. I have to Force Quit and then the program won't restart. Restart the Mac and do the same again and it hangs again. A little bit disappointed as I was really looking forward to having the DAM..

Erwin Gutzeit

"The program failed to start again after it closed (this is happened after running for the first time after the installation). It stuck on the Luminar opening logo. I'm using Windows 10 Version 1803."

I have the same problem like the others above.

Bartosz Michalski

I think similarly. At the moment Luminar 3 is unusable for work. I have problem with export - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Often when I try to edit a photo, it displays in poor quality and editing options are not available. Restart helps, but the problem returns. Changes made to photos appear with a delay. After removing the folder, it continues to display with a warning icon and grayed out name. Removing and creating folders works only in Windows explorer, really?

Luminar 3 has potential, but it needs a big patch.

Sorry for my English.

Gerardo Medrano

Some users of Luminar 3 that are not having problems with the installation and execution of the program?. I can not pass after the welcome screen!. Using Win10 Pro.

Darryl Brooks

It's nice we're all contacting support individually, but it would be great if progress/solutions are posted back here or in a public forum of some type. Looking around the forums and various social networks, there are a lot of people having the same problem, while many others are not. There has to be a common thread between people that can't make the software work at all vs those who are having success with it. 

Nick Barber

Same problem here - I have a large photo library - 2.17TB of Photos - and after the initial import of images,  Luminar 3 bloats memory wise and won't open. Windows 7.

The only way to send the folder to support, by the way is to zip the folder and send as one file - rather impractical otherwise.

Nick Barber

Here's the link to my catalog files - https://we.tl/t-urRfRLc90y

Daniel Ward

This same problem happened to me today as well. It took 2 hours to catalog my Master Photos Folder.

After that Luminar 3 Choked & Crashed! Had to reboot Windows 10. I think the problem is handling large photo folders.

My "Master Photos Folder" is 468GB. After reboot I deleted the Luminar Catalog folder in My Pictures let Luminar

rebuild it a single photo folder at a time, did not try to let Luminar have my whole photo collection.

Please sign in to leave a comment.