Luminar 3 Unusable

Comments

122 comments

Wing Tam

Yes, the speed is horrendous compared to Lightroom. My Luminar 3 boot up time is around 20 minutes for 132,499 images. This is on a 6 core Intel xtreme i7 Overclocked to 3.9ghz, 16Gb Ram. Lightroom loads in 8 seconds.

Also when I checked Task Manager, Luminar only uses 12% of the CPU power and 768meg of RAM. But Power usage is Very High.

Does it really have to reload the library every time it boots? It should know where my image Folder is, since I've already cataloged all my images from the previous boot up!

Something seriously wrong with this!

Comment actions Permalink
    Wing Tam

I thought I would use a new approach. Rather than cataloging all the images, I will catalogue folders when I need to. 

So I went about deleting my Image folder from the catalogue. Luminar was still running after 30 minutes and then noticed that it was not responding, so had to force quit. Now Luminar 3 loads in 10 seconds. 

Which brings me to the point of why the Skylum team thought the version of Luminar at this stage, was acceptable in terms of usability. Clearly the DAM is not ready. I just hope that you guys will bring out a fix soon.

Satya Raju

I have had the same issues. Long time to load, then crashing and freezing, windows slowing down.  I thought it was something unique I was doing. I think I will wait for the update before installing.

Shaun Mullins

Same problem here. Have contacted support via the Skylum website and waiting for a reply. It worked upon initial install although the initial folder population took hours. After shutting down and later attempting to start back up, it just won't open just like original poster described. My machine is Win-10, Intel I7 8750H, 16gb RAM, SSD System drive, HDD data drive, GTX 1050 4gb graphics. There are less than 25,000 total photos in my library.

Daniel DiBernardo

I agree that Luminar 3 is virtually unusable.  I have a Windows 10 Machine, 4. gz, 24 Gig of Ram, NVidia 4 Gig Graphics Card, Intel Core I-7.  Takes 4-5 minutes just to load the program, then takes forever to load the libraries, and then many of my folders are simply grayed out showing nothing in them.  I cannot delete them from the list. Program is so painfully slow on all counts I cannot use it.  Luminar 2018 was much faster.

Further, I have Aurora 2019 and Luminar 3 does not show up as a plug in, only Luminar 2018 is shown.

Mitch Kite

I just wanted to mention that creating the image gallery has been running for over 12 hours and is showing only 70% complete.  I will admit that there are a lot of photos (approximately 100,000).  I'm just trying to understand how long it should be taking.  Is there a way to use Luminar 3 while the image gallery is created in the background?

Tom Wallach

Guess I should have checked here before launching L3.  Just started the process and with over 100,000 photos on the external T drive I guess I'm looking at a looooong time.  Time to shut this down and let it run overnight.  Not sure how large that file is going to be but is it possible to have the Picture folder placed elsewhere if size becomes an issue?  I'd probably locate it alongside my Pictures on the external drive.

Mark Ellis

Having same issue,  All I get after installing is Splash Screen with a rotating circle.  I let it run for about 10 min and couldn't exit the program.  Luminar 3 didn't even show up in Task Manager to kill the task.  Had to reboot the machine.  Tried this 3 times.

My System is Windows 10 Pro, Rizen Thredripper 24 core CUP, 32 Gig Ram, Nvidia 1080ti Graphics card.  

Luminar 2018 Runs just fine.

Reed Radcliffe

I have a large number of photographs in my catalog -the majority of which are on a NAS storage device. It took the first launch of Luminar 3 almost 3 hours to get to the point where it launched to the application after creating the catalog. It would not let me activate, so I restarted the program. Then it took almost 40 minutes to launch - I was able to activate, so I did and was at odds with the amount of time it took to launch. I figure the huge amount of photos on my NAS was dragging it down, so I looked for a way to take that folder out of the catalog. I was unsuccessful in finding any settings or preferences. Can you let me know how to do this?

Barry Sachais

Luminar 3 is unusable! On1 Raw, the 3rd piece of software along with LR and PS, run smoothly on my Win 10 OS. Luminar 3 is a disaster and Skylum should never have released it in its current state. Thumbnails take forever to show. Editing is painful to go through. Until this is fixed ON1 RAW will be my go-to program, along with LR and PS. Really, ON 1 RAW could be my only post-processing software; however, Lumenzia, a luminosity masking extension to PS (and reasonably priced) is so good that Luminar 3 will probably end up being a $ loss for me. Skylum, shame on you for releasing this software!

Ferdy Aengus

I had the same problem, on windows it is impossible to work, 2 hours to load the photos, very slow and every passage from one folder to the other stops and the photos disappear 

walter born

I used Luminar 2018 with great pleasure and sucess on my computers.
    L3 does not seem to be really usable.

Startup needs more than 20 minutes...in case it does not freeze.
    Building preview needed around 12 hours and still after starting it needs minutes for folders containing below 100 pictures. When you close luminar and restart it, it again needs more than 15 minutes to come up or freezes. While I worte this message, during about 25 minutes L3  did not startup yet.

Oh, an I did not find a way to save changed pictures. The menu simply does not exist to save pictures.

I have around 150000 pictures in my folders. Win 10 newest version, Ryzen 2950 16core procesor and GTX 1080 graphics card plus 32Gb Ram. CPU load during startup is pretty low so the problem is within Luminar that does not seem to use resources.

On a positive note I can mention that I am happy that Luminar 2018 ist still installed on my machine, so I can still use it until L3 is finished and usable. I really wonder if it had been tested before release.
    I have signaled all this towards support yesterday as well.

Marc Meylemans

I have a similar issue as Denis Kotsee describes above.

1. It took ages to create folders and updating its contents after the initial install of Luminar 3 (talking hours here -

2 Many folders showed '0 photos' (and was greyed out), while in reality there are definitely photos present in these directories.

It took a long time to display all the thumbnails of the pictures in each folder

3. This was basically unusable, so I decided to uninstall Luminar 3 with the thought to re-install and select only a small subfolder with pictures (much less pictures!). But after uninstall/re-install now the program fails to start again. It gets stuck on the Luminar opening logo and I cannot even point it to the particular subfolder with much less pictures (hundreds instead of many thousands of pics).

When it is showing the logo, my disk utilization for Luminar 3 is somewhere around 95% ! It is almost as if the app still seems to be 'crunching' on the much bigger set of pictures/directories that I first pointed it to...as if it was not uninstalled completely and does not restart from scratch after an uninstall/re-install cycle!

I'm using Windows 10 Home Version 1809. Hardware, Intel i7 6th gen, 24GB RAM, 2 TB HD.

David Thompson

I have the same experience of Luminar 3 not loading after the initial install and selecting a folder where all my photos are stored and it was obvious that the program was attempting to make a catalogue of all my images.
    As the above comments tried to un-install and re-install just did not work.

Here's the workaround for me, I'm using windows 7 Ultimate.
    I used an aggressive un-install program Your Uninstaller to completely remove the software. Then most importantly I searched C drive for Luminar 3 entries, finding most at Users\UserName\AppData\... etc. and deleted all that the system would allow.
    Did a hard reboot then created an empty folder/directory for the location of photos.

The re-install of the Luminar 3 then gave me the option to select a default folder for photos, which in my case was the empty folder created.
    I can now load the program for use to make edits, but still using Lightroom for my catalogues.
    And don't forget to install the Plugins from the file menu to link to Lightroom and Photoshop.

I think the people at Skylum need to address the catalogue issue when first installing the program and the load time of program launch.
    I have yet to see what happens after I create a few catalogues within Luminar 3 and if this further affects the programs loading time.

David Ford

Same problem here - Luminar stuck on splash screen after apparently running ok with my catalogue initially. Have reinstalled three times now and the problem persists.  Pictures folder and catalogue are on D:\Pictures (not C:). Windows Task Manager does not even show Luminar as a running application. Windows 10 latest release and patches.

yves bonnemaison

i have the same problem.

every time I run Luminar 3, the disk is 100% for several minutes making the soft unusable, it looks like it indexes the photos at each boot, of which I do not use it. Fortunately I did not uninstall luminar 2018.i'm in France

Fraser Thomson

I'm having problems since I installed Luminar 3 it is useless you cannot see the picture files if you run your mouse pointer over the area you can see there is something there. The Programme takes 3 minutes to load. Computer specs  

S p e c i f i c a t i o n s: 
    - AMD FX-6300 6-Core Black Editon, 3.5 GHz, turbo core 3.8 Ghz Max turbo core 4.1Ghz 14MB Cache Socket AM3+ "Unlocked"

- Motherboard - M5A78L-M /USB3, Socket AM3+, 760G + SB710, 4 x DDR3, DVI/HDMI/D-Sub, PCI-Ex16, RAID

- 4X DDR3 DIMM sockets can be upgraded to 32G RAM

- Graphics - Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3000, Maximum memory of 1G (1024 MB)

- Multi-VGA output support - HDMI/DVI/RGB ports

- 8 Channel high definition audio, Optical S/PDIF out

- GbLAN Ethernet, Broadband Modem ready

- 8x USB Ports in total(4 USB 3.0 ports, 4 xUSB 2.0)

- 32GB DDR3 1600RAM

- 1TB (1000GB) high speed SATA3 6Gb/s Hard Disk

- Optical - 24X Dual Layer CD/DVD Writer

Bruno Choi

it takes nearly 5 minuets to get start everytime....(stucked at the opening logo...)
    pc: surface pro i5

ADAM FAVRE

I cannot get the software to launch. Emailed tech support and tweeted.  No resposne yet which is fine.

Windows 10 machine. Had it running and all it would do is keep trying to populate the library for hours and nothign would respond.  I finally installed the first installation and reinstalled thinking I gave it too big a task. I now cannot get it to reinstall. have wiped every trace of it from hardrive and registry.  It hangs up on the gray LUMINAR 3 screen after launch and never even takes me to the "trial or purchase" screen.  The hard drive starts grinding and grinding and will sit for minutes and half hours or more. Wasn't sure what it was doing to my hard drive so I made it stop and have now uninstalled for the moment.  Looking to see if I see any helpful feedback anywhere before I proceed.

Darryl Brooks

Maurits posted some good stuff (what order is this forum in, btw, his is the latest post and is in the middle of the first page. 

The program does give you the option of where to put the library, but it doesn't work. You click the link to move it to a new folder, but the windows dialog it uses is looking for a filename, not a folder. I've tried run as admin also, but will play around with the defender settings tomorrow. I have to assume that A) most of the people for whom it works are on Apple, B) Most where it doesn't are on PCs and hopefully, C) Skylim is working hard and fast on a fix. It seems that none of the photo editing companies spend any time testing on Windows machines. 

Thomas Helzle

I think this is what's called "Banana Software".

Ripens at the customers... ;-)

The grinding harddrive really gives me the creeps. It first happened for hours when the database was created (and the DB is on a separate HD from the actual images...) - not sure how much lifetime this took off the drive.

It also happens when I open L3 (can take minutes), when I look at a different folder or otherwise change my view. It takes between several seconds and several minutes.

And it happens - if shortly - each time I change ANY parameter in L3. It seems to do concurrent excessive writes all the time. This slows everything down a lot, is loud and definitely doesn't do any good for the drives involved.
    This surely should be buffered in RAM and written/read in a way that does not drive my HD to extinction.

I never had any database behave like that before ever and I use several applications that use them.

I'm back to Luminar 2018.
    This new version is somewhere between an Alpha and Beta stage at best...

Cheers,

Tom

Barry Schwartz

Looks like the Luminar 3 was not ready to be issued to the masses.  I tried several times with different folders to be used as a catalog and it never worked.  I then opened it after deleting the catalog file as instructed on the web site.  It worked OK, but I could never figure out how to try and create a catalog again from inside the software, once it has been loaded and used.  I don't make a living off my photography, so I can tolerate these types of problems, but if you want folks who are more serious in that they have a financial stake in their processing their images, you have got to be more careful about making sure it works well before issuing it.  Once a person loses trust in the product product, it's hard for you to win their trust back. 

Jeffrey Hirschl

Same problem. Upon launch Luminar 3 splash remains on screen for minutes. It is hitting the disk hard. Here's a post I made in a different thread. I've been unable to find a method of stopping the scan for images and loading into the library...

Installed Luminar 3 and just wanted to see the landing page to look around. I was greeted by a "welcome wizard", and I could find no immediately-apparent way to dismiss this. So I went through it. It ended with Luminar 3 starting to load pictures into its library from an area that I did not want it to load from. Whenever I launch Luminar 3 again, it keeps loading, slowly BTW on a very-performant PC.

I would have appreciated the welcome wizard presenting a summary page at the end stating what it intended to load and from where, providing me the opportunity to say "no, don't do that". Now I have to turn to manuals and/or tutorials to find out how to stop the loading and remove the photos already loaded from the library, without accidentally permanently deleting them from my disk. I expect a beginner's photo editor to "help" the user in this way; I expect a professional tool to do things when I'm ready to do them.

When I'm ready I will load over 30,000 images, but I want to do it when I'm ready. Please fix this "welcome wizard" in the fix release in two weeks that has been promised.

Jeffrey Hirschl

Sorry, Skylum. Uninstalling and going back to using Luminar 2018.

Don Hamilton

I also am unable to use Luminar 3. I get the error message: DATA FILES FAILED TO INITIALIZE. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and always get the same result. Luminar 3 will not run.

Milan Vjestica

It easily gives the impression that the software was not adequately tested. Judging by the number of people posting it is a serious issue.

Now my inbox is getting flooded with posts. Time to unfollow and wait for support to respond.

2018 works fine, just needed the DAM to make it a real alternative to LR. 

Seriously thinking about alternaitves like C1 or On1.

Jeffrey Hirschl

I don't need the Library functionality now. Is there a way to tell Luminar 3 to essentially operate as Luminar 2018 did? Perhaps an initialization file change or Windows Registry change? If there is, I could use Luminar 3 as I did Luminar 2018 without the library function.

I'm on Luminar 2018 now. But if that ever needs reinstallation or installation on another machine, I'm basically out of luck. I guess I could create a dummy folder with one picture in it for Luminar 3 to "find" and then act like Luminar 2018 from there on out, but I should not have to use a workaround like that.

Please let me know if there's a way to disable Libraries and make Luminar 3 operate like 2018.

Heinz Wolf

I am on Windows 10 and had no issues with the Luminar 3 installation. On first Luminar 3 start I let it use the default Windows folder "My Pictures" which holds only ~600 copies of my originals which are located on network drives. I wanted to start small and ony on local drives as I expected issues with the new library module. It still took a long time to bring these 600 files into the Luminar library but then it turned out not even usable with such a small library. Most times it simply got stuck showing the message "Reading file structure" after Luminar start. Fortunately sometimes the startup did not get stuck ao I managed to remove the top level folder from the library again (this was also only successful after several tries).

Now I am using Luminar 3 only for single image editing without any library function. I like the editing capabilities of Luminar but this library module is worst piece of software I have ever seen. This will damage the reputation of Luminar significantly and highly recommended not to release such untested and useless software in the future. Better fix these quality issues (plus the still horrible performance compared to Lightroom) with first priority.

I am really pissed off.

Jeffrey Hirschl

I found a further problem... I reinstalled Luminar 3 and pointed it to an empty folder, so it wouldn't try to look for anything. When I opened a single image for "Quick Editing", the scrollbar under the Luminar Looks was inoperative. It was always very thin and hard to use in even 2018, but now I'm unable to scroll through the Luminar Looks. Has anyone else seen this?

O/S is Windows 10.

Also I'm wondering if anyone from Luminar looks at this thread, and if not, how do I report bugs to them?

Sandra Chung

Yes, it does take quite a while building the image gallery, all depending on how many folders and photographs you have taken, but once that's done, I had no problems. This is on a dual boot Win 7/Win10 machine.  I pointed Luminar 3 to my photography HDD, and yes, it took a few hours for it to compile the image gallery.  I have another photo editing program that had to do the same thing.

Unusable? Hardly.  Takes a bit of time to learn the new lay out, but it's quite usable. I'd show results, but I installed L3 on Win10 first, and it's currently building the image gallery on my Win7.

Please sign in to leave a comment.