Luminar 3 Unusable

Comments

122 comments

Denis Kotsee
    1. How large is your photo library?
    2. We'll speed up the generation of previews in the next update.

3. Please send us the contents of your Luminar Library folder, so that we could investigate this issue. The default location of this folder is C:\Users\UserName\Pictures\

Here's how you can send us the files:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this post.
    Comment actions Permalink
    Peter Nowlan

I am experiencing the same problem. I've downloaded and uninstalled 3 times and get similar results but not same results each time. 45 minutes 1st download and unable to complete; 2 hours to download and get 4000 photos but could not restart after exit. 2 hour +30 minutes 3rd attempt and system froze. I'm in Canada

Peter Nowlan

PS: I am using Windows 10. When Luminar 3 is loaded the whole system slows down dramatically.

Danny Ruben

I have found that if the Luminar catalogue is in a OneDrive folder there is a lock on the PC.

If you are using Luminar in a OneDrive folder, try closing all Luminar tasks in task manager, letting OneDrive complete synchronisation and then pause OneDrive before opening Luminar.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Peter,

Please send us the information listed by Denis Kotsee above to support@skylum.com and we'll investigate.

Milan Vjestica

I am getting the "Database Opening Failed" message. I tried the recommended reboot, same result. I have sent the catalog file through via the method provided. 

Also operating on Windows 10. 

Ken Stadtman

I'm having the same issue as many users. I'm on Windows 10 Pro. Initial cataloging of image folders appeared to complete successfully but when invoking Luminar 3, it asks for a trial or user key. No matter what I select, the program aborts with no error message after about 15 seconds.

Pasquale Vinelli

I just had a similar problem,the installation is quick but when i click on the lunch button it pops out a small message failed to load database and it remains the small luminar splash screen...i have to kill the process in the task menager  to close it.

David Roe

Why in the world would you let the program use One Drive?

Have taken 3 off my computer at least 2018 works right!!!

All the hype for a program that does not start up all the time, lags bad, it is a nice black eye in my book.

Thomas Helzle

Got the update today. The intro screen told me to point it to my photo folder. After 30 minutes it's at 3%...

OMG...

Edit: After 4 hours it's at 6%... 

Peter Nowlan

https://we.tl.t-6nEk0s9uYO

this only consist of 2 gb out of 45. It took 15 minutes to transfer. to do all would take 4 hours plus

Johan Puisais

Hello, I confirm that luminar 3 is incredibly slow and collapses the system under windows 10.
    Trouble loading a raw, hopelessly empty editing window ...
    Import into the catalog of new images very very slow.
    I think we are wiping the platres of this new version.

Win10 + Intel i7 + 16Go ram

David Roe

To be fair.......  yeah I am back.....

Uninstalled Luminar 3, cleaned out every trace that could be found.

DISABLED the One Drive Cloud from Microsoft. (Who should never be trusted with my files BTW)

Re-installed Lunimar 3

Created a Folder and did not use the picture folder.  Dropped about 5 gigs of raw files in a directory in it.

Fired up once complete, did the activate thing and boom.

It loads, the library loads, pick a pix and edit away.....  it seems to work as one would expect.  Still a little on the slow side but now I would say something went right.

Is it a Lightroom killer?  Once everything is figured out on how it all works I would say yes. 

BTW I loved 2018 and it did replace LItghtroom for the most part.

There are some things that I have questions about but at least now it works.  Testing to proceed.

Darryl Brooks

Same here, but never finished building library. Constant crashes. Uninstall and resinstall, same result. 30K images in library. Crashes between 5 and 25%. Have opened a ticket, but uninstalled for now. Either it works or it doesn't, and right now, it doesn't.

Paul Judkins

My Luminar hangs on zero while updating the catalog. I have to Force Quit and then the program won't restart. Restart the Mac and do the same again and it hangs again. A little bit disappointed as I was really looking forward to having the DAM..

Jonathan Meddings

In two hours, just 50 of my photos have been imported. I just see the Reading File Structure notice. I'm not impressed so far, what is Luminar 3 doing? Surely it only has to locate my folders? 

As a Windows user I'm feeling a little left out Skylum, you keep publishing Mac tutorials, but not Windows tutorials.

Wayne McPike

Unusable. After editing an image and choosing from left hand panel a second image to edit, it hangs. Right hand panel to choose filters remains greyed out. Only option is to close program and restart. After loading folder of images it was terrribly slow and hangs. Removed folder and went with single images. Still the same.Can't seem to get anything done.

Erwin Gutzeit

"The program failed to start again after it closed (this is happened after running for the first time after the installation). It stuck on the Luminar opening logo. I'm using Windows 10 Version 1803."

I have the same problem like the others above.

Bartosz Michalski

I think similarly. At the moment Luminar 3 is unusable for work. I have problem with export - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Often when I try to edit a photo, it displays in poor quality and editing options are not available. Restart helps, but the problem returns. Changes made to photos appear with a delay. After removing the folder, it continues to display with a warning icon and grayed out name. Removing and creating folders works only in Windows explorer, really?

Luminar 3 has potential, but it needs a big patch.

Sorry for my English.

Gerardo Medrano

Some users of Luminar 3 that are not having problems with the installation and execution of the program?. I can not pass after the welcome screen!. Using Win10 Pro.

John Kennington

Program will not start.  Windows gives "Program not Responding."  All I see is the splash screen.  I have installed the latest Nvidia drivers.

Followup:  I suspect the problem is a database creation error on install.  I moved all of the contents of Luminar Catalog to a temp backup location and started the program.  It started just fine and I was able to create a new database.  

Darryl Brooks

It's nice we're all contacting support individually, but it would be great if progress/solutions are posted back here or in a public forum of some type. Looking around the forums and various social networks, there are a lot of people having the same problem, while many others are not. There has to be a common thread between people that can't make the software work at all vs those who are having success with it. 

Nick Barber

Same problem here - I have a large photo library - 2.17TB of Photos - and after the initial import of images,  Luminar 3 bloats memory wise and won't open. Windows 7.

The only way to send the folder to support, by the way is to zip the folder and send as one file - rather impractical otherwise.

Nick Barber

Here's the link to my catalog files - https://we.tl/t-urRfRLc90y

Daniel Ward

This same problem happened to me today as well. It took 2 hours to catalog my Master Photos Folder.

After that Luminar 3 Choked & Crashed! Had to reboot Windows 10. I think the problem is handling large photo folders.

My "Master Photos Folder" is 468GB. After reboot I deleted the Luminar Catalog folder in My Pictures let Luminar

rebuild it a single photo folder at a time, did not try to let Luminar have my whole photo collection.

Tobias Braun

Same for me, started it for the first time. Added my image location through the wizard. On the last page no progress was shown. Closed then Luminar and then it wont open again. Deleted then the complete catalog folder content and I could open it again. Now without the wizard in place I could add a folder over the Folder + button on the right and it seems to read in the images (I have a lot).

Lets see when it will be ready.

Maurits Rietveld

Just downloaded and installed Luminar 3 on my win10 pc,

Luminar 2018 works fine on this machine,

I see the splash screen for a while and then nothing!

I did try in on my windows 10 laptop. Every thing downloaded and installed....

Pushed - Launch -  splash screen Luminar 3 ....yaeeeey

Then nothing.

So just now  gave it another go on my first machine .... splash screen..... bit of activity in the cpu but then back to 5 % almost idling. 32g mem  stable at 12%,,,

So this is not working!

(Day later)
    Maybe run as administrator? No, the same . Briefly it shows up in background processes, then it's gone.

..... noticed when in list background processes behind Luminar 3 it flashes 2x : suspended

1 hour later:

OK,

I switched off my Real-Time Protection (W10)

Luminar 3 did start!

Protection on L3 could not open the catalog.

Protection off. L3 starts and I…

made a new catalog on my second non-system disk.

Protection on. L3 starts and says database initialization failed

In Windows Defender added exclusive for the pictures folder –database failed-  no luck

Allowed in Defender Luminar through controlled folder access no luck

Database ini failed.

Even now no luck with protection off.

Maybe  the problem would be solved if the programm asked:

Where do you want your database catalog to reside \ be?

Stephen Van Patten

Similar experience as others are having. I will continue to use Luminar 2018 but have uninstalled Luminar 3 since to say it is ridiculous and does not work is the understatement of the century.

Robert Law

After editing photo in Luminar 3 and then trying to open another file the library can no longer display any images.

The library and film strip down the side is blank and the edited images in the edit folder can not be seen. I have to close Luminar 3 and then reopen to make the library display the images.

tim roach

I have the problem of really slow opening of any library of over a few thousand photos. Im i5 Dell Optiplex 7010 quad core 3.2 with 8 gig of ram 512gig SSD and the Photos are on 4tb USB3 drive. I have thousands of RAW photos of offroad races I take each year and for 2018 is over 17000 photos! BUT the folder I am curently editing in is only a little over 1000. I save in a seperate folder by each race class in each event. Then the other item is thmbnails black after an edit. The photo is also black afterwards. quiting and reloading still same on same photo. When I get the chance I will check to see if my mac is doing the same thing on the same folder. Then if I click on any sub folders in the right hand pane all the thumbnails go black. If i quit the program the right pane problem is gone untill i start moving between folders again.

Please sign in to leave a comment.