Luminar 3 crashing on MacBook Pro

Comments

37 comments

James Doyle

I just downloaded and installed v3.0.2 and the program launched successfully. It is behaving exactly as I expected it to so far, which is to say it's easy to add and access folders and files including rating stars and hearts. Thank you!

Fun true story: I was momentarily sure there was still a problem when I loaded a new folder called "blood_moon" and only saw this recipe card that I knew was randomly in the folder. Then I remembered it was called blood_moon and the rest of the files are 99% black...all was well!

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

I'm very sorry that the update isn't working well for you. Please send us the following, along with a link to this thread to support@skylum.com.

Please send us your catalog:

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    2. Right-click the Luminar Catalog folder > click Compress and wait for the process to finish.
    3. Send us the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.

If you can recall, it would help us a lot if you could tell us which folders were added to your Luminar Catalog and where they were located: on an internal or external drive. You can make a screenshot of the filesystem, for example.

If your copy of Luminar is crashing, send us crash reports:

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar 3 in their names and attach them to your email.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please also send us your Hardware UUID:

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
    2. Click About This Mac.
    3. In the window that opens, click System Report.
    4. In the window that opens, make sure Hardware is selected in the column on the left.
    5. Locate the Hardware UUID string, copy it, and paste it into your reply to this email.

Thanks in advance. We look forward to hearing from you.

David Medeiros

Updating this thread with latest on my L3 stability issues. It seems (fingers crossed) that I am finally up and running. I was mixing L2018 lmnr files in my image library and the Catalog couldn't handle that I guess. After removing the lmnr files and rebuilding the Catalog I can finally browse my library at full speed with no crash so far. I am... cautious at best for the moment and won't really be relived until I get more images in the library and have been at it for a few weeks with out any crashes. I'll update again later.

On a related note, I don't think I ever saw anything suggesting L3 couldn't (or shouldn't) be reading the L2018 lmnr files. My assumption was lmnr files were a native file type for Luminar and L3 would read them just fine. If I missed any notices to avoid the lmnr files that's partially my fault I guess, but I think that should have been top priority for user communication if it was a known bug.

At any rate I now happily get to complain about other stuff for a while... like no virtual copies and no ability to copy and paste raw files from in app!   ; )

Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing the update!

Luminar 3 should be able to read L18 .lmnr files (https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-8-opening-luminar-2018-files). However, there are known issues with .lmnr files where the Save Original Resources checkbox had not been ticked when originally saving the .lmnr which we are working on.

David Medeiros

Thanks Angela,

This was almost certainly my issue as I had L3 open all day yesterday after removing the lmnr files and it ran fine. I did notice that if I ever opened an lmnr file in the L3 editor, I saw the image but none of the editor menus worked. So that might have been a clue to me if I'd been paying more attention. I just assumed it was intentional and lmnr files were not fully supported but viewable.

I'm not sure when Skylum discovered the lmnr file bug, for me it took a very long time for that fix to be suggested and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else in the forums. I suspect this is the same cause for a number of other users with similar stability issues. I think Skylum should be sending out a specific recommendation across the user base to remove the lmnr files until there is a stable fix.

Supena Krisnadi

I just have the same issues as well today. The Luminar version is 3.1. Was working properly before until today suddenly it won’t open and crashes everytime I try to open it. Already tried the AppCleaner as suggested and download and reinstall clean copy from the link they provided.

The problem persist, and I already leave message on the support page.

I hope Skylum solve this issues fast since Luminar is my only editing software that I use now.

Looking forward to hear from them soon...

Maryna Skylum

@Supena Krisnadi

Try the following solutions:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Start Luminar. Click File > Catalog > Open > navigate inside the folder you renamed in Step 3 > double-click Luminar Catalog.luminar file.

If the 4 steps above don't help:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Open Finder.
    5. Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    6. Launch Terminal.
    7. Paste the following string into the Terminal window: defaults delete com.macphun.luminar3
    8. Press Enter on your keyboard.
    9. Close Terminal.
    10. Launch Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup. Go through the initial setup. Leave the location of the catalog at the default (in Pictures folder).

If it doesn't help, please, contact us at support@skylum.com. We'll investigate the issue.

Please sign in to leave a comment.