Luminar 3 is here

Pinned

Comments

15 comments

pierspazio .

Hi.
    Database Initialization Failed error on Windows... where is the luminar catalog to delete?

Aydın Salur

Thanks for the new version that I was waiting. Now I check from the updates in the menu but it says I am up to date with version 1.3.2.

How to update to new version ?

Warm regards to all and happy new year.

Duc Vu Anh

Does Luminar require Internet connection to load the Library??? Mine without Internet load nothing, no preview, no any editing at all. When I turn on the Internet, thing works. Wondering if Luminar take some of my information sending to your sever, in the background? Luminar 3 for PC.

Besides, shortcut key for Windown, especially Touch screen PC like MS Surface pro, not working at all. I can not zoom 100% by double touch the image, very annoying :(

Colin Grant

This is how things have gone this end with a Mac install.
    1) Download from servers very fast indeed - well done.

2) Install went flawlessly. No problems whatsoever.

3) Loading images seems pretty good except some tifs/tiffs are taking an absolute age and one or two look like they will never load?

4) I like the approach and clearly a lot of work has gone into this so far. Never thought the DAM would interest me but this does have bags of potential, especially if speed can be kept up.

5) Some slowness when rendering images that have ben edited in L3. It takes a while to load the image and its adjustments. Seems to get tangled up with the loading of Looks. Same applies when switching a filter on and off so as to see the impact of the adjustment.

6) Once searches across exif, smart folders and keywording has been added this will be a very nice piece of software.

7) Nearly forgot, can we please have the ability to see the names of images and to change them, in both thumbnail and edit views?

This is a great effort and thank you. Hopefully this means Skylum are back on track :-)

Bruce Cole

Got the Database Initialization Failed error. Have uninstalled it, I'm now back to Luminar 2018.

Questions:

1) Is Skylum still going to support/update Luminar 2018? Or is it a dead duck? I'd like to know before I invest too much time learning how to use it.

2) If Luminar 3 is the chosen way forward for Skylum, will there be an option for not installing the library features and just use the photo editing aspect of the program (as I currently do with Luminar 2018)?

Anthony Djudzman

Tell us how to get LUMINAR 3 with Library. I check the updates on the menu it says currently is the newest version. It is now 19th of December 2018. How come?

Tim Gillespie

Here is my take as a professional photographer, web developer, technical expert with a database of over 250,000 images.

You can and should ONLY use this software to check it out and begin the evaluation process. This is not a stable release under any circumstances. I have had to force quit over 10 times and it blows up all by itself once in a while.

Mac 2011 (late) 8 gb 10.11.6 EVO 860 SSD

Note to anyone having issues starting up. BLOW AWAY YOUR EXISTING CATALOG. And then let the program work off a default catalog. Then, if it stays up, you can begin to load directories. Start small. This thing is quite unstable and indexing your entire hard drive will most likely end in failure. It did for me.

Impressions.

1. Very unstable across all attempt at use. Locks up frequently.

2. Resourse intensive. Way too much. Lightroom does not do this.

3. Seems to be able to handle only a small number of photographs while remaining responsive.

4. DO NOT TRUST IT WITH YOUR IMPORTANT PHOTOS. Or any for that matter. Back everything up!!!

5. This software shows great promise when they actually hit a 1.0 status. They are not there now. It might be good when they bake it.

Use it for evaluation purposes only. It will be many months before this software sees it's first disk array full of juicy photos around here. All long time indeed!

Denis Kotsee

>Database Initialization Failed error on Windows... where is the luminar catalog to delete?

C:\Users\%username%\Pictures

>Does Luminar require Internet connection to load the Library???

Internet connection is required only to run the trial and activate Luminar.

>Slowness.

Will be addressed in 3.1.0

>can we please have the ability to see the names of images and to change them, in both thumbnail and edit views?

I don't yet know whether this will be added and in what form but we're hearing quite a few comments like this, so we'll take this into account for future versions.

>Is Skylum still going to support/update Luminar 2018? Or is it a dead duck? I'd like to know before I invest too much time learning how to use it.

We'll focus on Luminar 3, since it's a direct successor. If you learned Luminar 2018, you already know Luminar 3.

>will there be an option for not installing the library features and just use the photo editing aspect of the program

Yes, you can either use Luminar 3 as a plugin, or do File > Open Images For Quick Edit.

>Tell us how to get LUMINAR 3 with Library. I check the updates on the menu it says currently is the newest version. It is now 19th of December 2018. How come?

Download it in your Skylum account or from the trial page: https://skylum.com/support

Keys for Luminar 2018 activate Luminar 3.

Frank Fiorentino

Why does the recently edited images filter continue to show images after all adjustments have been reset?  It seems it would be more useful to see images with edits vs. images without edits.  It helps to manage which photos need work.

As Colin said above, once additional features are added this will be a nice package.  I am still reluctant to give up LR but if all continues as planned I can see myself fully migrating to Luminar.  My creative cloud photography plan expires in August of 2019 and I hope to not have to renew it.

Colin Grant

>can we please have the ability to see the names of images and to change them, in both thumbnail and edit views?

I don't yet know whether this will be added and in what form but we're hearing quite a few comments like this, so we'll take this into account for future versions.<

Thanks Denis,. Without this very basic functionality I cannot see how the Library can function as a fully fledged DAM. Keywording will help but renaming images is a very basic database function. And not being able to see the name of each image when in edit or library is a very strange omission - that info tab does not cut it. I appreciate the names are viewable when in full screen as opposed to thumbnail. I shall try and get used to that.

Thanks again. The software is very stable on my Mac but I cannot entertain the Library for any production work, not as yet anyway. Come keywords and things might be better - I do like what you are building though. Well done and thanks :-)

Saul Tavarez

I Bought Luminar on the App Store last year where's my free update? i'm having to use the trial version of luminar 3 because i can't update my current one

Jub De

Denis Kotsee Firstly I have not received any email advise of the Luminar 3. Ironic indeed that my other email address keeps in receiving Luminar 3 marketing ads. I have to go to my account and click the download link. I have installed Luminar 3 3 times and my account indicates LUMINAR 3/Manage my License/license code is grayed out but its there. WHY CAN I NOT OPEN LUMINAR 3.0 WITHOUT INTERNET CONNECTION?

Robert Barr

I agree strongly with Colin regarding the inability of a user to change file names in the Library (I refuse to call it a DAM because of it lacking such basic features as naming files and adding keywords.) One of the first things I do in my workflow is to change file names from the camera generated gibberish to a meaningful name. And I can't do that in Luminar. For me, Luminar 3 failed right out of the chute because of this issue. And for Skylum to say that they may not even fix this, well that is just sad. My opinion of Skylum has just eroded another notch. They continue to be way behind the competition.

Dmitriy Makeev

Finally bought C1. Thanks Skylum for high hopes!

Denis Kotsee

@Saul Tavarez create an account at skylum.com, and send us a proof of purchase for Luminar 2018 - we'll add both L18 and L3 to your account.

@Jub De I couldn't find a Skylum account registered on your @yahoo.com mail - if you could email the support team and let them know with which account you're having this issue, we'd be glad to help.

>WHY CAN I NOT OPEN LUMINAR 3.0 WITHOUT INTERNET CONNECTION?

I'm assuming this is because you're running L3 in trial mode. As soon as we fix your license, you'll be able to activate L3 and run it in offline mode.

Please sign in to leave a comment.