Luminar 3 and external drives

Comments

13 comments

Denis Kotsee

Could you please let me know what's your OS?

Comment actions Permalink
    adam ooo

macOS Mojave

Steve Ratts

I have this same issue as will many other photographers. When traveling obviously I need to use my laptop (MacBook pro running Mojave) and don’t have my desktop with me. Laptops don’t have large internal hard drives so any photographer working on the road is likely to be relying on an external drive.

The issue I’ve seen goes one step further though. I’ve observed numerous crashes in Luminar 3 when using an external lacie drive connected via thunderbolt. No similar crashes seen on my desktop (also Mac running Mojave)

Peter Gutbrod

I'm shocked, that's a biggy. I have not tried it myself but if that is true, it is the worst bug you can imagine in a software. It could ruin hundreds or even thousands of hours of work only because a drive becomes temporary unavailable.

IMO this must be priority no.1 to fix. Until then Luminar 3 is definitely dangerous to use .

Steve Ratts

I'm hopeful that the 3.0.1 release planned for the end of this month will fix the crashes. It shouldn't be that hard to sort out what's causing segmentation faults. The one crash I saw when operating without the external drive also happened to occur when I first opened the app after disconnecting the external drive - so maybe it was going out and looking for it that caused that crash. Since then I've had it open continuously for more than 24 hours.

In the mean time I'm enjoying getting some stick time with L3 and seeing how my workflow may be able to adapt to the L3 DAM, etc. I do agree with many folks on this forum that I feel a bit like a beta tester - however I am optimistic that the issues will get sorted out in time (never as quickly as we'd like...)

But, yeah - it really does need to be compatible with a workflow that includes storing files on an external drive. There's only so much room I've got on my internal drive on the laptop.

FYI, when including the external drive I think the number of images in my catalog is north of 65K, so reasonably biggish, but by no means gargantuan.

Peter Gutbrod

I have my pictures on different storage location. The once currently in work on SSD, those done on a big ironwolf drive and the really old ones on NAS. Luminar has to support this otherwise I cannot use for productive work.

Plus edits must somehow move if I use a laptop in field and later move the picture to my main computer. Seems there is no way currently to do this. I've made already a feature request for Sync edits between computers.

M L

Wow! I haven't gotten that far with Luminar 3 to see this but I agree auto-scanning and getting rid of offline drives is a major problem. Other software I have used that uses the same type of "mimic the file system" type of structure vs. storing the photos in its own database just puts the pictures in a grayed out mode when they are offline but still leaves everything it knows about them or has done to them in the past in tact. They don't delete them from the catalog unless you tell it to. The solutions I've seen that auto-scan will scan the filesystem for new/deleted photos but still keep the info about the edits or what you've done to them with metadata, ratings, etc. in it's own database. That way the drives can be offline but still not lose the info about them.

I can't believe they missed this. They obviously didn't have any photographers with big collections test their software for them before releasing. That will definitely keep me from moving to Luminar until this is fixed. Thanks for alerting everyone to the problem.

The crashes are one thing and I think they will be able to address those but not being able to handle content that is sometimes offline and sometimes online is a HUGE gap.

Steve Ratts

My comment above may not have been quite clear. As far as I can tell L3 isn't removing images from the catalog when the external drive is disconnected. Presumably (though I've not yet tested it) any edits you've done to files on an external dive are still known to the catalog, and once you reconnect it those edits are apparent.

I don't think anything destructive is being done. The issue I was reporting is that if my external drive is attached L3 will crash if/when I try to edit any of the files on that drive. Other than the rather long time it took to import ~65K photos from my external drive to the catalog (no images moved, just thumbnails being created and entries created in the catalog) I haven't seen a problem with adding the images on the external drive to the L3 catalog. Of course being able to actually edit them has been a problem.

I've basically been using L3 for a few days now with my external drive detached and working with some photos on my internal SSD. L3 hasn't crashed by merely attaching the external drive; but if I select an image on that drive and try to edit, then BOOM it's crashed. Hopefully they'll get that sorted out soon (planned 12/31 bug fix release?).

Right now I've got L3 running (and has been for a couple days solid) with the drive detached. I can navigate to those folders in the catalog and see that there are photos, but for some reason don't see any thumbnails (are thumbnails also stored on the external drive? I thought those would be with the catalog on my internal drive). Each photo has the triangle with exclamation point icon in the upper left indicating it's offline. When I attach the external drive the thumbnails become visible in the library and the triangle/exclamation point icon is removed. I just don't dare try editing any of those files or... BOOM/crash.

YMMV.

Cheers,

Steve

M L

OK. I'm confused now. If I'm interpreting it correctly, @adam ooo is saying that if he detaches his external drive then the pictures get removed from the catalog (e.g. "Long story short - if I edit photos, detach a drive, open Lumiar and then attach the drive again; all changes are gone. Just beacuse Lumiar deleted them while scanning for the removed drive. ") but in @Steve Ratts second post it sounds like that is not the case. Are y'all interpreting those two posts the same way. I am not in a situation where I can test that at the moment but I'm very curious as to the answer.

I understand what Steve is saying about the crash but that seems to be a separate issue than whether or not the information that Luminar knows about a photo on an external drive persists when that drive is put offline and then brought online at a later time.

Not that Luminar has metadata at the moment, but in my current workflow I frequently am updating metadata and picking keepers/not-keepers while the drive is offline b/c my current software can show the photos and their metatdata while the actual media is offline.

Curious and concerned minds want to know. ;)

Steve Ratts

Well, I'm not sure how much our two experiences are in fact similar or ifferent. In my case I've been unable to edit any photos on my external drive so it's therefore impossible to tell if L3 is retaining or dumping the edits.

I've got a hunch, which I've yet to test out, that the problem I've observed relates to the relatively large number of photos I first imported into the catalog from the external drive. I plan to test this by removing all folders from the catalog which are physically located on the external drive and then adding in just a few to see if limiting the size has any effect.

If I'm able to get to a point where I can edit photos on the external drive without seeing L3 crash, then I can also see if detaching and reattaching the dive keeps the edits or looses them.

Steve

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

When a drive is disconnected you will not be able to edit the photos on that drive. However, when you reattach the drive all of your edits will again be accessible. 

If you're experiencing something different please create a support ticket at https://www.Skylum.com/Support

Aron Weinstein

my photos (max mojave OS) are on a NAS. I'm not sure the previews are properly being loaded or saved in the catalog.

When I am not on my network, the photos all disappear from my catalog. they are not greyed out, I don't have previews, etc. the whole set of folders and the main directory seem to just disappear. this is not the behavior I think is described.

any ideas?

Denis Kotsee

Do I understand it correctly that when you are disconnected from your network, the network folders you added to your library disappear completely? Do they reappear when you connect to your network?

Please sign in to leave a comment.