Luminar 3 a possible deletion danger

Comments

12 comments

Denis Kotsee

>As soon as I began to navigate to the new folder by first clicking on Pictures (Folder), Luminar began to load EVERY photo in that folder (some 50,000+ images).

This is strange, Luminar will start importing photos only if you click on Add Folder. Are you sure you haven't accidentally clicked it after you've navigated into the Pictures folder?

Removing images from Luminar puts them in Luminar's internal trash but the images stay on your hard drive. Emptying Luminar's trash sends images to your system trash. Only if you delete files from your system trash will it remove the files for good.

Comment actions Permalink
    Richard Huggins

Pretty sure this happened to me also.

Don Patrick

Having all my 45,000+ Lightroom Masters removed from their dated folders and sent to the system trash via Luminar trash...now there's a scenario that I certainly don't even want to think about!

Can I uninstall Luminar 3 without loosing the images currently in it and the various folders in my enclosing Pictures Folder?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Don,

Yes, you can delete Luminar 3 without affecting your images (you will lose any edits you've made in Luminar 3, though). Luminar's catalog references their current location, but doesn't move them except in the instance of Emptying Luminar's trash - which as Denis explained above, will move them to your system's trash. In order to permanently delete the images you'll also need to empty your system's trash.

Mark Phillips

This is pretty messed up.  In order to forget all the pictures I accidentally imported into Luminar 3, I had to delete the app completely and reinstall.  When can we expect a fix that allows us to remove images from Luminar 3 without deleting them from our system?

Don Patrick

I completely uninstalled Luminar 3 and reinstalled it making sure that I 'imported' only the 67 photos I wanted. However, there are still photos showing in All Photos and in Recently Added. See screenshot.

Unfortunately here appears to be no way to correct this.

Question was this software beta tested before public release?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure I understand - are you wishing to delete images from Luminar BUT keep them in the same referenced folder? If you wish to remove a folder you can right-click and choose Remove From Catalog. 

Denis Kotsee

@Don Patrick @Mark Phillips @Richard Huggins 

1. The way L3 adds your photos to the catalog is by referencing the location of the photos.
    2. If you wish to make L3 'forget' a folder you added to the library, right-click the folder in the panel on the right > Remove From Catalog. This removes the reference to the folder. This does not affect the folder on your disk.
    3. If you wish to remove your folders/photos from disk via L3, then use the in-app trash. In my first reply to this thread I explained how it works. This does affect the files and folders on disk.
    Don Patrick

Referring back to my earlier unanswered post about having NO Albums and NO Folders and NO Photos in the LR Trash. (Note that I did remember to click "Show" in these instances). One would therefore assume that I have NO photos in Luminar 3 at all.

Please explain why Shortcuts/All Photos continues to show a total of 1731, and more importantly how do I completely remove these from Luminar without removing them from my computer?

(See Screenshot below)

Valentin Popa

Is there a solution to this problem? In Luminar 4 it still exists :( This is annoying, I can't use Luminar when it’s cataloging unwanted photos. Tthere must be a way to delete photos from the catalog without physically deleting them!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Valentin,

Luminar' library currently catalogs every image in a selected folder. There is no way to exclude certain images from the catalog.

My best suggestion is to move images that you don't wish to have cataloged into a folder that is not referenced by Luminar.

Peter Hansen

I recently upgraded Luminar från 1 to 4.1. I don't like the new delete function at all -in fact it thrashed some important photos.. but, Gott sei dank,  fortunately i had made a backup before processing. Now i processed my photos the old way à la Luminar 1 - i.e. one photo a time - with the addition backing up the image before processing.

Please sign in to leave a comment.