Hanging With Aperture

Comments

10 comments

Mark Dodd

The short answer is Aperture and Photos store the images within the Library file itself and thus is not accessible from Luminar or other programs in that setup, but there is a change you can do to make the original files accessible to both Aperture and Luminar. Also, the edits you have done in Aperture will not be adjustable in Luminar, but you can access a final "version" of the file from Aperture in Luminar.

I'm working on a longer reply that will have the steps involved in how you can get to your Aperture images in Luminar 3.   Will see how to handle the Apple Photos images as the photos app keeps the images in the library file.

Just want to do some testing to confirm my instructions work as written and will post as another comment and probably on my blog as well.

Matthieu Kopp

We are a startup company working on some exciting tools for photographers.

We plan to release a first product in early 2019 to enable Aperture users to safely migrate their catalogs (with edits and organization structure) to other DAMs.

If you are interested in having us support Luminar 3, please drop a note on our web site.

Matthieu

https://cyme.io

Sharon Suskin

Matthieu: Of course I am interested in anything that will help Aperture users migrate to Luminar.  I am concerned that Liminar is in the middle of working through their problems, so I don't know how another program might help. It seems like a confusing situation to jump into.

Mark:  I would love some directions to describe the step by step process.

Matthieu Kopp

@Sharon : Thanks. I agree with your statement. We are looking at ways to make it possible...and are looking forward to Slylum adding the missing pieces (IPTC, Keywords) in order for our solution to leverage all the features of their product.

Mark Dodd

Sorry for the delay, I probably won't have time to test things out until after Christmas.  Been rather busy with holiday and family related things.

At the moment, after reading other posts, I would hold off on moving. I've heard there is going to be a patch released later this month to fix some issues and an update released in January. 

Either way, I will write up the instructions as soon as I have the time

Wil van Beers

Hi Sharon, I use Lyn to get access to my Aperture library and move images (final versions) to the folders I have assigned to Luminar. Of course it means another $20. But for me it was an easy setup to achive the result I needed.

Mark Dodd

I've created a short video showing how you can make your Aperture Photos available to Luminar 3

https://www.markdoddphotography.com/recommends/aperture-to-luminar-3/

I will have to apologize as the audio is a little low. Just turn up your volume and you will be able to hear me.

Sharon Suskin

Mike,

I can't remember if I responded to this already, so forgive me if I did.  I was excited to see you had created a video, but I can't hear it at all. I have turned up video and computer and I can't make out the words. Is there some way to boost the volume on your end?   BTW- Happy New Year!

Mark Dodd

Sorry about the poor audio. if I can’t fix it I’ll do a new recording as soon as I can

Mark Dodd

I've replaced the poor audio quality video on my site with a new one and uploaded it to YouTube

You can still access it via

https://www.markdoddphotography.com/recommends/aperture-to-luminar-3/

Please sign in to leave a comment.