Luminar 3 RAW and JPEG

Comments

19 comments

Denis Kotsee

You can quickly jump in and out of the full image preview by double-clicking the image. The full image preview shows the filename and extension above the filmstrip with the looks.

Comment actions Permalink
    sam kusnetz

i suppose the real question is: does L3 support viewing RAW and JPG versions of the same photo as a single item?

if not, what is the skylum-recommended approach for working with cameras that have a RAW+JPG option? should we manage our files so that only the RAWs end up in the L3 library?

Lorry Lawrence

I agree with Richard. Many of us have been waiting for an Aperture replacement and I had high hopes this release would pair the RAW and JPEG (as it does in Aperture) however it's not there.

Going in and out of each photo is not efficient.

I tried to find a filter so I could only show the RAW files and that doesn't seem to exist (or if it does it's been hidden away somewhere).

Tony Collins

Oh, that is a bit poor.

Might even be a deal breaker for me. You need to add it to the list of fixes, and it should be pretty simple to implement:

If raw file exists don't show jpg with the same filename.

Roger Backhouse

Yes, but it would be a LOT better to have the option to show the filename.ext clearly underneath (or above) the thumbnails, and in the filmstrip. OK, the filmstrip would have to be larger, but in my view it needs to be larger anyway. I guess this depends on what your screen resolution is, but even on my 27" non-retina iMac, I find the filmstrip too small to be usable. Or the filename could be superimposed on the thumbnails. This would make it much easier to use.

Is there a thread where users can make suggestions for improvements?

Rob Faucher

I second what Roger Backhouse is saying.  At minimum, please provide us with a mouse hover over that displays the filenames in the library.  This should be a quick feature to implement.  Otherwise, I find it very aggravating to determine which files are raw or jpg when they coexist in the same folder.

Also, when can we expect more EXIF info displayed in the info panel?  I find it rather spartan.

Achim K.

Well, Luminar 3 first approach seems to be quite poor. My focus is on RAW treatment and I don`t find any RAWs in my Luminar gallery. 

Denis Kotsee

We'll add RAW+JPEG functionality in one of the updates next year: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

sam kusnetz

that's great to hear, denis.

i'm still interested to know skylum's recommended way of working until then, though. do you recommend not importing JPG versions, for example?

Petr Nosek

It is also my question. I have purchased luminar 3 months back and I still wait before I start using it as all my photos are saved in batches RAW+JPEG at the same folder so I basically can not import my existing library as I would have all images doubled. I talk about 100000+ photos. So I need some effective way how to handle this. The road plan states "FEBRUARY-MARCH 2019" -we are now in March 2019, can this be tested somehow? I am offering to test this feature on my large library.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Petr,

RAW+JPG support is not yet available, but I anticipate the addition in the next update which is currently planned for later this Spring.

The Roadmap will be updated soon to reflect this.

Diana Spitzley

I would like to prioritise my Raw files as they're the ones I want to work with in Luminar.

The way I  have done it is to select - Sort by Gallery Images,- Sort By File Type, - Ascending.  This at least brings all the Raw images to the top of the page

Ping Chou

Any idea when 3.1 is supposed to come out? I still haven't really started using Luminar 3 yet and a big reason is the RAW + JPEG functionality (or lack thereof) and it's kind of annoying. I have been looking for an Aperture replacement since they have discontinued it. I can't stand Lightroom and On1 is not much better. I was hoping for Luminar to be the answer, but at this rate, I may start looking elsewhere. In all honesty I could care less about the AI they keep pushing, because it seems their focus on that has hampered their development of the things that actually matter, like usability and functionality.

So please focus less on the bells and whistles and more on the ease of use and asset management.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ping Chou,

Luminar 3.1 is out now. You'll be prompted to update next time you launch Luminar 3. You can also download the latest version from the My Software section of your Skylum account.

Federico Lazzari

So glad this feature has been added!!! Congratulations to the Luminar team.- I think you are doing a great job for Aperture lovers and Lightroom haters. It does take a little more time than desired by anxious amateurs like me, that prefer Aperture-like funciontality first and fancy AI later .....  But patience is paying back with a product that ultimately will be best-in-class. 

With v3.1.1 it's easier to view JPG/RAW/both than it was in Aperture 3, IMO.

To take it to the next level -for someone like me- I'd love to compare JPG vs RAW individually in a fast and easy way, and select which one I want to work with on a case by case basis. (On certain events/shoots, as an amateur, I'd rely on in-camera JPG and selectively work with RAW on a few photos). I'd end up with a mixed view of JPG and RAW files, not a single criteria. I kind of think Aperture was able to do something like that.... 

Kate Williams

Hi Federico,

Thank you for your kind feedback! 

That's a great suggestion - I will make sure to speak with our tech team about it! 

Lukasz J

My version is 3.1.2 and I can still see RAW and JPEG separately. Any ideas?

Importing only RAW would help as well, but the importing feature is not much more than copying everything.

Helena Carter

Hi Lukasz,

Please, contact our Support Team so we could investigate the issue

https://skylum.com/support

Tony Collins

Are your raw and jpg in the same folder. Hiding one of them only works if they are.

Please sign in to leave a comment.