Database opening failed

Comments

79 comments

SCHL1TZER

Hi *.

I had the same problem as you all (Version 3.0.2.2186). Forget all tha re-installing and registry-cleaning. None of that will work. What worked for me was deleting the whole 'application data'-folder as follows:

• go to the folder C:\Users\<yourUsername>\AppData\Roaming\Luminar 3
    • delete the whole content of the folder
    • Start Luminar 3 and run throught the wizard again

I did NOT use the default database folder, but used a custom folder on the D:-drive. Now it works for me.

Have fun.

Comment actions Permalink
    Denis Kotsee

Please send us the contents of your Luminar Library folder, so that we could investigate this issue. The default location of this folder is C:\Users\UserName\Pictures\

Here's how you can send us the files:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

James Thomson

This latest theory that an apostrophe or similar in the catalog path is responsible for the Database Opening Error sounds like desperation. It's always "maybe this " and "try that", nothing definite.  I repeatedly tell them that L3 does not allow you to select a location for the catalog, it defaults to the Pictures folder - if I'm wrong tell me how to do it. That is ignored, it's really poor.

I've tried to work with Skylum but there seems to be no issue management there. I've now had five different folk essentially telling me the same as PP above. There's no ownership, they ignore my responses and we go back in a loop. It's beyond frustrating.

There's, unfortunately for Skylum. another issue here. My 'Pictures' folder path has the dreaded apostrophe but Microsoft won't allow the offending folder to be renamed. I've read that it is possible if you edit the registry, I've also read that it must not be attempted under any circumstances.

I'm bowing out until the next release. However, I'm not going to do Skylum's job for them, if it's not been properly tested then I'll regrettably bin Luminar and stick to Lightroom.

Graham Remington

This is what did ,

Answer for all: THE SOLUTION IS: Delete all content of the folder: C:\Users\(YOUR USER)\AppData\Roaming\Luminar 3\
    Note : Remember - ! AppData is a hidden folder ¡

Bradley Reeder

I seem to have the same issue so will watch to see how you resolve this.

Gyger Daniel

perso il n'y a rien dans C:\Users\UserName\Pictures\

jeff crawford

I had the same problem, uninstalled the Luminar catalog file in my folder I was trying to use ie. "pictures" the website says user/name etc. wasn't there its in your folder. Uninstalled the catalog and was able to get into the program then add folder on right. Im still waiting for it to populate however after 2 hrs. I have 108gb of files.

All other programs "On1 photo raw 2019 took 10 min.

David Reece

https://we.tl/t-TYxUgnbC29

Gyger Daniel

David Reece que veut tu que l'on fasse avec ces deux fichiers ?

Denis Kotsee

We have discovered that this issue occurs due to bad EXIF data in the photos that are being imported into Luminar. We'll release a hotfix for it soon.

In order to get Luminar up and running while we fix everything, follow these steps:

1. Reboot your computer.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\UserName\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for Luminar Catalog folder, search your custom location.
    3. Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.
    4. Start Luminar. This time it should open without errors.
    5. When adding an image folder to your Luminar catalog, specify another folder with photos (not the one you pointed Luminar to before encountering the error).
    Grahame Dunkin

Have done the above but it still wont open, it reloads a new Library every time i try to open the programme.

Jeremy Alderton

Thanks Denis, but I'm never given the option to choose a folder.  The program simply won't start and immediately throws the error.  I deleted the Luminar Catalogue Folder, deleted my Pictures directory, rebooted after ever step and I'm still getting the error.  

Galen Dalrymple

Denis: I followed your procedure from 4 hours ago and my software still gets the same "Database opening failed."  I've reinstalled 3X and deleted the Luminar Catalog from Pictures/User, etc., as per the instructions each time and it still won't open. 

James Thomson

Same error here with Win10, 64 bit, all updates applied.

Anyone else lost as to what email they’re talking about here?

1. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.

Jungle Crapanzano

Hi, I'm having the same problem which, by the way, prevented me from buying the application during the sale period.

@Denis, any idea when the patch will become available?

Cheers

Jungle

Nick Buchko

I'm having the same issue.  Within 10 seconds of hitting the Launch button, I get the Database Opening Failure error.  This appears to be different than the issue that Dennis is talking about fixing above, which references problems with bad EXIF data being imported into L3.  My program never even gets that far to look for pictures.  Dennis, will the fix that you're discussing also apply to the Database Opening Failure issue?

Peter Alan Fowler

Having the same issue "database opening failed" ,tried deleting the catalog but made no difference !

Cathy Nicol

Also same issue. i was never given an option to look for where my pics where either. After I removed catalog It just never starts. with catalog database opening fails. 

Nick Buchko
    Since Luminar 3 was launched on the 18th, I have been unable to install it due to a "Database opening failed" error which occurs within 10 seconds of hitting the Launch button. Months ago I had a similar problem being unable to install ON1 Photo RAW 2018. Ultimately, at the suggestion of the ON1 support personnel, I created another Account on my laptop and the ON1 software installed without an issue. When I returned to my 1st Account, the ON1 software was visible on the Desktop and worked from there as well.

Tonight I tried the same procedure with L3. I went into the 2nd Account on my laptop and was able to install L2 flawlessly. After watching Matt Suess's recent video about not having the Luminar Catalog in the Pictures folder, I told it to place the Catalog in the Documents folder, but upon checking the Pictures folder, I see that the Catalog is there. I cannot, however, figure how to pull pictures from the 1st Account into the 2nd Account.

I returned to the 1st Account, but find that, unlike the ON1 software, L3 still gives a "Database opening failed" error and will not install. I suspect that there is some software in the 1st account that is causing a conflict that will not allow L3 to install.

At this point I'm confused as to whether to try to find a way to bring my pics from the 1st Account into the 2nd Account, as I don't want to have issues when I ultimately get L3 working in the 1st Account. At least it's some kind of progress. Hope that this may help someone else and I can figure how to get some pics into the 2nd account.
    Nick Buchko

Got the L3 update today (12/29).  I removed all prior attempts to install L3 from my Windows 10 computer and attempted to install L3 as a fresh start.  This time the program allowed me to choose a folder other than the Pictures folder.  I previously created a folder on my desktop to which I pointed L3.  As soon as I hit Next, I immediately again got the "Database opening failed" error. When I click on "OK", the program closes. I tried to install L3 a second time but got the same results.  For whatever reason, the update did not solve the "Database opening failed" problem for me as L3 still will not install.

Galen Dalrymple

Same thing happened to me, Nick. Frustrating. Except, when I uninstalled and reinstalled it, the program dies even before giving me a choice of where the folder should be located. 

Nick Buchko

Galen, I just uninstalled and reinstalled again, and I got the same result as you.  Right after hitting Launch, I get the database opening failed and the program fails before I even am asked about which folder to choose.  I wonder what database the program is referencing?

Galen Dalrymple

Nick: I don't know for sure, but I think that it has to do with the Luminar catalog. Earlier posts from support had said it was due to bad EXIF files, but in my most recent test, there were no any images there to have EXIF file problems. And I tried it again with 3 pictures in the Pictures folder....alas, the same problem. It doesn't matter at all, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm not sure that Luminar knows, either. They sure don't seem to at any rate.

Shoaib Ahmed

Facing the same issue here. Luminar 3 refuses to start. May I know where to pick up the update from? My Luminar won't open to even suggest an update.

Galen Dalrymple

Yeah, when I start Luminar 2018 it doesn't indicate there is any update available, either. Here's the update link: https://skylum.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1075f8a85c0416fdd300304f0&id=a5f6c1d620&e=72f03cccdd

That came to me via an email. 

Shoaib Ahmed

Thank you Galen, the update doesn't fix the error for me either. Though it did give me an option to select a folder and I pointed it to an new empty folder and it throws the same "Database Opening Failed" error and quits.

Galen Dalrymple

Same thing happened to me the first time. After that, it never even gave me the option to select a folder. Guess we'll have to wait for Skylum to really come up with a fix. 

Bradley Reeder

I just redownloaded the install file Luminar3.S3 but it does the same thing "Database Opining Failed". The sad thing is I posted a message 12 day ago but still has issues. 

Nick Buchko

For what its worth, I mentioned this a few days ago.  I suspect that there's some conflicting software or issue on my pc that is  preventing L3 from loading (obviously from my description, I'm not a computer expert). As a work around, I created a new account (Settings, Accounts).  I then installed L3 from this account rather than from my primary Account.  Luminar 3 loads right up. I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled L3 several times from this new Account with no issues.

I pulled over a few pics to this Account, put them in a newly created folder on the desktop (not in the Pictures folder) and brought the folder into L3.  I was able to easily access the pictures, edit them and save them.  I'm still confused about creating  Catalogs, etc. so I'm going back and rewatching the Matt Suess videos on the subject and the Jim Nix videos. I have erased the Luminar Catalog from the Pictures folder (which does not contain any pics in the newly created Account). Everytime I open L3, however, it recreates the Luminar Catalog in the Pictures file, but for now I am being careful to keep all pics in folders not contained in the Pictures folder.

I don't plan on this being my long term solution, but at least it gives me access to L3 in the interim. I'll probably use this work around as a learning experience with L3 until Skylum finds a solution to the Database Opening Failed error.

Angel Brown

Same issue, is there still not a solution to this problem???

Please sign in to leave a comment.