Database opening failed

Comments

79 comments

Maryna Skylum

Please send us the contents of your Luminar Catalog folder, so that we could investigate this issue.

The default location of Luminar Catalog folder is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location. Zip the contents of the folder before sending it to us: this way it will take up less space and will upload more quickly.

Click here for more information on creating zip files on Windows.

Here's how you can send us the zip file with your catalog:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and send it to us at support@skylum.com.
    Comment actions Permalink
    Bradley Reeder

Just tried this with Win10 following all that was stated and still have the same issue Database failed opening.

Hi Everyone,

To the best of our knowledge, this error was fixed in the 3.0.1 update. If you're still having trouble please try fully uninstalling and reinstalling Luminar 3:

Please try reinstalling Luminar 3. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall Luminar.

How to uninstall an app on Windows 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2601726

How to uninstall an app on Windows 8:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/how-do-i-delete-or-uninstall-a-program-in-windows/a4cbeb29-2ca3-46f0-855f-ba5e8df2436c

How to uninstall an app on Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028054/windows-10-repair-or-remove-programs

Clear your registry:

• Visit https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download?pc
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the table and click Download from CCleaner.com in the first column.
    • Once the download has finished, launch the file and install CCleaner on your computer.
    • Launch CCleaner.
    • Click Registry on the left.
    • Click Scan for Issues in the lower left. Wait for the scan to finish.
    • After the scan has finished, click Fix Selected Issues in the lower right.
    • Close CCleaner.

Reboot your PC.

Download the latest version of Luminar from here:

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/win/Luminar3_Installer.exe

Once the installer has finished downloading, locate it in your Downloads folder (or wherever you chose to save it), right-click the file, and click Run As Administrator. A prompt may appear asking you whether you wish to confirm your action, click Yes and wait for the installer to load. Then, follow the instructions on the screen.

If you still have issues, please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and include a link to this thread.

Danny Ruben

I had this issue this morning.

I found a second cache file had started to create but not completed.

With Luminar 3 closed (make sure there are no Luminar services running in Task manager) I ran CCleaner to clean the registry and then a general clean.

Then delete the new cache_db.db file.

Then started Luminar 3 and the cache rebuilt itself.

Hope this works for others.

P K

I recently purchased Luminar 3, and have the same issue after installing the application and attempting to open.  I get a dialog box that says, Database Opening Failed.  I followed the exact steps provided by Skylum tech support, (also posted by Galen Dalrymple), but still not working. 

Disappointed to learn of so many issues after purchasing this...  It seems Skylum is overwhelmed at this point.

Perfecture

I saw in the contact form on their website that this error may be showing because you have an apostrophe or some other special character in the path to your catalog folder. So maybe try removing the catalog folder and create a new catalog in a location that only has alphanumeric symbols in the path. You should be able to select a new location for the catalog if you remove the current one and start Luminar.

James Thomson

This latest theory that an apostrophe or similar in the catalog path is responsible for the Database Opening Error sounds like desperation. It's always "maybe this " and "try that", nothing definite.  I repeatedly tell them that L3 does not allow you to select a location for the catalog, it defaults to the Pictures folder - if I'm wrong tell me how to do it. That is ignored, it's really poor.

I've tried to work with Skylum but there seems to be no issue management there. I've now had five different folk essentially telling me the same as PP above. There's no ownership, they ignore my responses and we go back in a loop. It's beyond frustrating.

There's, unfortunately for Skylum. another issue here. My 'Pictures' folder path has the dreaded apostrophe but Microsoft won't allow the offending folder to be renamed. I've read that it is possible if you edit the registry, I've also read that it must not be attempted under any circumstances.

I'm bowing out until the next release. However, I'm not going to do Skylum's job for them, if it's not been properly tested then I'll regrettably bin Luminar and stick to Lightroom.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi James, 

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Please try removing your Luminar Catalog folder and then select another path without an apostrophe.

To remove Luminar Catalog:

On Windows:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.
    Bradley Reeder

Sorry Anna but we keep hearing this same thing and it doesn't work. I have deleted the Luminar Catalog folder tried a different drive to make the new folder and.... it doesn't work! Einstein's definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result. So we need to hear something new from Skylum or a new update.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bradley,

We're very sorry for the frustration. The next update will be released soon (end of January/early February).

Jeremy Alderton

Anna, you're not reading the posts that are being sent. We've all deleted the Luminar catalogue & we can't specify a different directory - the "Database opening failed" error appears as soon as we start the program. I've been reporting this from the day of release.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

I am sorry for the confusion.

After you remove the Catalog please make sure to follow the steps below: 

1. Type %appdata% in Search (folder Roaming should open);
    2. Find the folder “Luminar 3” and delete it;

You will be able to pass the Setup Wizzard once again. When Luminar prompts you to select a location for the catalog(step 2), change the default location of the catalog, i.e. place it somewhere other than your Pictures folder. If you have an apostrophe in the path to your catalog, place the catalog somewhere where there's no apostrophe in the path.

James Thomson

Just followed the steps in Anna's email above and relocated my Luminar trial folder to directly below C:.

I did get further but as soon as you hit the 'Next' button - 'Database Opening Failed'.

I did not uninstall L3, run CC and then re-install, I'll let someone else jump through the hoops.

Jeremy Alderton

I followed Anna's steps and wonder of wonders, it seems to be working!  It's at 31% of Creating an Image Library.  

I also had to rename my Documents folder, which other programs didn't appreciate, since it had a comma in the name.  Wasn't sure if I had to do that or not, but just to be safe I did.

Thank you Anna - finally solved my issues.

Maryna Skylum

Great to hear everything is fine now!

James Thomson

FAO Jeremy Alderton.

Assuming the install worked and you now have L3 up and running satisfactorily ........

Did you uninstall L3 etc or just run the previously installed version you were previously having problems with?

What location did you specify for your folder with your photos?

Where did L3 put the catalog? 

Cheers,

Jim

Galen Dalrymple

I'd be interested in knowing, too, Jeremy. I made sure there were no apostrophes, etc., in the pathname, did the %appdate% and removed the Luminar 3 as instructed, uninstalled the software, checked that the Luminar Catalog in /pictures was deleted, then reran the install and mine still fails. I had my hopes up there for a minute!

Angela Andrieux

If you're still having trouble, please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help.

Nick Buchko

After reading Anna’s post, I believe that the “Apostrophe” elimination may resolve my problem, but was unsure how to achieve it.  Unfortunately, my Win 10 primary computer account is “Nick’s PC”, in which L3 will not load due to a “database opening failed” error.  I created a second account called “Nick 2”.  L3 loaded right up in this account without any issues, confirming Anna’s post.

While the account name can be changed, the personal folder name will continue to display the old username.  The folder name can be changed by editing the Registry, but I’m not confident enough to edit the registry without fear of trashing my pc.  Also, if a previously created Restore Point is used in the future, it may possibly change the account name back to the old account name with the apostrophe.

I first created “L3 Pics” and “L3 Catalog” folders on my Desktop.  I planned to point the L3 to these folders. However, since the path for both of these files is C:\Users\Nick’s PC\Desktop, my concern is if “Nick’s PC” refers to a folder, then the same “database opening failed” error will occur.

To get around this issue I created “L3 Pic” and “L3 Catalog” folders in the C:\ root directory and pointed Luminar’s catalog and library on the initial installation screen to these folders.  Luminar 3 installed flawlessly. The problem is that any photo folder that I put into the L3 Pic folder in C:\ shows up as a subfolder in the L3 Pic folder in the Luminar 3 program and cannot be individually removed from L3.  I have since placed an L3 Pics folder on my Desktop and copy any photo file folders that I want in L3 into that folder and import them into the L3. All is working well.

Denis Kotsee

We'll address the issue with the apostrophe in the path in early February.

James Thomson

Update - I uninstalled L3, deleted the file from 'Roaming', searched for 'Luminar' and deleted anything relating to L3 except for the downloaded installer, then ran CCleaner. Re-booted, ran CCleaner again (belt and braces) and re-installed L3, this time specifying 5 folders within L3 Pics which was directly under 'C'. It installed and displayed the photos in the first folder. Great, let's use it. Unfortunately, it remains bug-ridden. 

I selected a pic and made a couple of minor edits, then selected another pic from the filmstrip - which has several blank entries. The 'Looks" strip along the bottom still shows the previous (edited) pic and the changes made to that pic are still 'live'.

I then selected the Library tab and selected another folder but it's blank, tried another and it's blank, too. Tried another, it's blank, tried the folder I previously edit a photo in - it's now blank, too. Selected "Recently Edited', 'Today' - blank, 'Recently Added and today's date - blank. Tried 'All Photos' and each of the months(related to each folder) - blank.

Closed L3 and restarted. The library opens up displaying the pics from last selected folder. Select a pic and 'Edit' and it looks good, ie. the old edits aren't applied. Made a couple of changes then selected another pic from the filmstrip which displays but again the previous edits remain and the Looks panel continues to display the previous photo. Sadly, L3 remains unusable for me.

The apostrophe issue is a potential showstopper for users who, like me and Nick above, have a Windows folder named "Jim's PC" or similar. Windows does not allow folders like Pictures to be renamed(I'd like to know how and why Jeremy renamed his 'Documents' folder).  Looks like there remains a lot more to do than just the apostrophe (and dash?) issue, Denis.

One more thing, I'd prefer to use this community to address common issues rather the piecemeal approach advocated by Angela above. That must waste an enormous amount of customer and Skylum support time and resource.

Hope this epistle helps.

Jeremy Alderton

FAO James & Galen - I followed Anna's steps, including removing the Luminar catalogue from both my "Pictures" directory and from the "Roaming" directory.  As mentioned, my Documents folder was named "Jeremy's Documents" so I remedied that by opening File Explorer, right clicking on the "Jeremy's Documents" directory, chose 'Properties' then selected the 'Location' tab.  In the box I entered the new directory name then clicked 'Move'.  10 minutes later the "Jeremy's Documents" folder was empty and a new Documents folder was created with all of my files neatly moved over.

I did not uninstall & reinstall Luminar 3... instead I just clicked on the program icon and it worked.  It will ask what directory to include in the catalogue.  My setup is that I use the 'Pictures' directory for works in progress then move completed files to my "D:\All Photos" directory and sub-directories, so I first added the 'Pictures' directory since that only had ~50 images in it.  Worked flawlessly.  I then added my 'All Photos" directory, with ~18,000 images and left it alone until the following day.  While the "Creating an Image Library" part was quick, having the images actually appear was a lot slower.  The program placed the Luminar 3 Catalogue in both my 'Pictures' and 'Roaming' directories.  No catalogue was created in the 'D:\All Photos' directory.

That should answer all of your questions.  Now to offer comments on the program now that it's up and running...

• The program is very slow.  It takes 15 seconds to load the program and every time you restart the program it reloads all of your images - this took almost 90 seconds.  In comparison, Lightroom CC Classic takes 8 seconds to load and the images are available immediately.
    • Despite what others have said, Luminar 3 is not really a Digital Asset Manager.  You can't rename files, no keywording, no IPTC editing, no search function (these are all coming in the near future according to the company).  So you can't manage your digital assets, just edit them.
    • Some of the features, notably keyboard shortcuts but many others, don't work in Windows.  Remember, this company was called MacPhun and it seems to still be Mac-centric.  
    • In Library view, a lot of the images are fuzzy.  If you double click on them they open fine in full screen mode, but when you go back to Library view they're fuzzy again.
    • For the life of me I can't find a Preferences option.  Right now, if I export from Lightroom to Luminar, when I save my edits it creates a new version of the file with "_Luminar3-edit" appended to the file name.  As a result, I mostly invoke Luminar from Photoshop.

That's the negative, but there are some positives...

• It's still Luminar, so the program works as you are used to (with the annoying exception that they moved the 'Apply' button to the top left, away from everything else)
    • The plugins integrate well with Lightroom & Photoshop.

Hope that answers your questions!  Although I've given up on using the Library feature I will keep trying it after every update.  For now, it's just a plugin I use with Lightroom and Photoshop.

For those who care, I'm running Intel i7-7700, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, Win 10 with all available updates applied.

Cathy Nicol

I was finally able to install by following all the steps to remove Luminar 3, including removing from roaming and cleaning with CCleaner, ect. Since i have an apostrophe in the User folder name it wanted to default to and changing it wasn't an option, I completely removed the Pictures folder. It was empty anyway since I keep my photos on another drive. This forced the install to find a new folder to install too on a path without an apostrophe, and it is finally working now. 

Enrique Iborra

Me pregunto cómo se atreven a lanzar un programa como Luminar 3 con semejante error, constatado por tantos usuarios. Es la enésima vez que sucede. Evidentemente el equipo de Luminar deja mucho que desear. 

Galen Dalrymple

I am happy to report that with the release and install of 3.0.2.2186 that I was finally able to get Luminar 3 working as soon as I ran the latest release with the fixes!  Thanks to the team at Skylum who got this issue resolved!

Maryna Skylum

@Galen

Great to hear everything is fine now!

Feel free to reach us if any questions arise. 

Have a marvelous day!

Michael Ganz

It is still not working, what can I do?

Tom Reynen

My Luminar 2018 was working fine and then I got the update this week and now it won't open.  Keep getting the Database Open Fail message.  I uninstalled, deleted the Luminar catalog and then reinstalled but still get the same message.  No luck.  And I really don't want the Lunimar catalog anyway!  I want to open the application and change photos one at a time.  I don't want Luminar to make copies of my photos and store them in a catalog under some strange file name.  I want to edit my photos and put them back in the file I started with.  I am not sure where to look but I don't see any apostrophes.

Gabriel Gonzalez

My Luminar 2018 was working very good and now with Luminar 3 is a terrilble bad dream with the same message impossible to open.

Brian Anderson

For those of you who think the issue of "Database not opening." error has been resolved with updates since this thread was started 2 months ago, it has not. "tech support" here give the equivalent of "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" which produces (predictably) the same result. I've zipped and emailed my Luminar catalog in the hopes a real tech support solution exists. 

All I've gathered is they think having an apostrophe in the catalog path is potentially the culprit. One would think if that were true the issue could be easily resolved. 2 months and 2 patches later, no solution. 

Kirk Osborn

Try the following steps to get Luminar up and running:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like. Don't remove this folder.
    4. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    5. Type %appdata%\Luminar 3 in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.
    6. In the folder that opens, locate the file named StateSettings.xml and send it to us.
    7. Next, remove Luminar 3 folder you opened in Step 5. Please note that this will remove your user looks and workspaces, so back up the folder into the safe location before removing it if necessary. You can then put your looks and workspaces back later.
    8. Start Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup. While performing the setup, leave the location of the catalog at the default.
    9. When Luminar has loaded, click File > Catalog > Open > navigate inside the folder you renamed in Step 3 > double-click Luminar Catalog.catalog file. Your previous catalog should load.

Please note: File > Catalog > Open is for opening catalog files, not photos. If you try to open a photo like this, you will receive a Database Opening Failed error.

How to load photos in Luminar 3: https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-8-loading-images 

Please sign in to leave a comment.