Luminar 3 not opening

Comments

35 comments

Wayne Ludlam

As an extra note I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ( as I have done many times before after the Jupiter update ) but same result it wont open at all.

Cheers

Wayne

Comment actions Permalink
    Dean Fey

Yep, same problem. However, it will open from Lightroom from "Edit With", but it won't export the finished image back to the Lightroom catalog. I have no idea where the path is for my finished images. Very frustrating. I can't open it from my Window's 10 menu either.... 

Ambrose Fung

I ran into the same problem. After importing ~600 raw files and jpeg (.arw from A7R) and created a catalog.  I ran into 2 problems.

1. perform some edit 1 raw file using the Professional Workspace(incl. AI Sky Enhancer). /close down the program/ reopen.. it would be stuck on the splash screen. (Hide the catalog directory, Luminar can now be opened)

•   I tested with a new catalog with only 1 raw and 1 jpeg, the program could re-open. 

2. In both catalog from #1. I cannot re-edit the raw (.arw) file that I previously edited with AI sky Enhancer val > 0. (the Edit tab was disabled)

(Workaround -  select "resetting Adjustments" on that image and toggle to another image and back to trigger the program to re-process the image) - regain editing control for the file but lost all the editing

This is on windows 10 64bit with Nvidia GTX-970 card. 

Denis Kotsee

@Wayne Ludlam @Dean Fey could you please send us the contents of your Luminar Library folder? By default it's in Pictures.

Here's how you can send us the file:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Wayne Ludlam

Hi Denis

Couldn't find a file called Luminar Library, hope this is what you need.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/f4dca7be07acff8b0c2437778d93e8bf20181218045303/5a241ba5bce4dc1244d01fce51d179d320181218045303/4dcafd

Stuart Smith

Quite jealous that you got this far.

I am unable to install Luminar 3 and when I attempted to post to this community my iMac crashed.

Maybe posting a comment and asking for help will work?

Kevin Mills

Just installed Luminar 3  (on Windows 10) and it crashes at the splash screen.  It just goes aways, then nothing.  Never got the application screen so I could not try to import any pictures.  Reinstalled, same thing.  Any log files I can provide?  

Les Cornwell

When you say it gets stuck on the opening splash screen, how long did you wait? Reason I ask is that I find Luminar 3 takes around 72-75 seconds to open so i thought it was stuck at first. I have an I7 6 core processor, SSD, 64GB RAM & GTX980 graphics card so surprised it takes so long to open...

Dennis Billstein

I got the same problem. Startet Luminar 3, moced some raws from one folder to another and Luminar shut down. Now i cant open it again. I tried to reinstall it and restar my computer serveral times. 

Here the Link to the content of the said folder. Hope you can help us.

https://we.tl/t-lFv2kjw8xK

David Stevely

Same problem.  Luminar 3 won't open.  Tried uninstall yhen reinstall still not opening.  As it stands Luminar 3 in effect does not exist.

David Stevely

Jack Eccles

I did a post about something which helped me to get Luminar working but it doesn't seem to have shown up so here again is what I did.

In a reply to someone with this 'Luminar not opening' problem I noticed that Skylum had asked them to send them some details and that these details could be found in the Pictures folder.

However, I'd previously got rid of the Pictures folder by using Powershell to get rid of the Camera app so went back to the Microsoft store and re-installed it.

I then went into the Control Panel - Settings - Defaults and, just for now, clicked on the 'use Microsoft defaults' (or whatever it's called) to get everything working the way Microsoft wanted it.

I then tried to open Luminar and it was ok. I then went back into Settings and set the default apps to what I wanted, as opposed to what Microsoft wanted, and opened Luminar again. It still worked. To be sure I restarted the computer and Luminar still opened ok.

So if you also were annoyed with Microsoft's trying to force their will on everyone and deleted the photos/pictures then re-installing might help. Hope so. Jack

Jack Eccles

Sorry, maybe it should read 'Photos' app not 'Camera'.

Kenneth Breugelmans

Same issue here. The splash screen launches, then disappears and nothing happens.

Kevin Mills

Thanks Jack Eccles,  Your comments help me get mine working.  A long time ago I changed the default location for the "My Pictures" folder to a network drive.  Luminar 3 did not like that.  I set it back to the Microsoft default location and Luminar 3 launched successfully. 

At first I recreated "C:\Users\<username>\My Pictures", but left the system configuration of "My Pictures" pointing to my network drive.  That did not work.  So I really had to reset to the Microsoft defaults to get it working.

And, while Lumiar initially crashes hard when "My Pictures" is mapped to a network drive, it is happy to find pictures files on the network drive when I added the network folder to my library.  It was also happy to move it catalog location to the network drive.  Once I had my catalog configured to be on the network drive, I could restore my configuration to map "My Pictures" to the network drive.

Jack Eccles

Glad to help :)

Bernadette Buechler

I am trying to install Luminar 3 on a new windows 10 computer-it installed fine on my windows 7 but won't even try to open on the windows 10 new one. My old luminar on the windows 7 won't allow me to do the latest update that gave us sky replacements. Problems with the new and old!!! Is anything being done to address the issues of installing on some window 10's -one of these days I am going to get a full working program that I long ago paid for.

Kenneth Breugelmans

For anyone having the issue of the splash screen launching and then disappearing without opening luminar; for me, running it in compatibility mode for windows 8 solved the issue.

David Stevely

Compatibility windows 8 works BUT it is still terribly slow to load.  This is fix is not really satisfactory.  What are Skylum staff doing to fix properly?

Thomas Mahnken

What I don't know. But when is written here:
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360035144632-Upcoming-updates

Philip Cook

Have been using Luminar 3.  Closed it down.  Wont re-open.  I am frustrated with this software in a number of issues.  I hope there are a series of fixes very soon.

Seann Saw

I am having the same problem. It was running fine since I installed it, until it 'hang' on windows 10 PC about 2 hours ago. My PC has a i5 processor and 8GB of ram which is well within the requirements. Got to kill the process, but cannot restart Luminar after that. Rebooting and uninstalling/reinstalling make no difference. This is a nice piece of software but I think it is beginning to get on my nerves. Skylum, please do something!

Victor Safonov

I am on the same boat as all others above my post. Is there any fix coming soon? 

Please help

Karim Diab

So if this is apparently an issue that all of us is having, why does support act stupid? I mean I'm now on my 12th email trying to fix this back and forth and they are useless. If they know something is wrong with it - which is obvious from the comments here - then why not just say it will be fixed or whatever instead of just making me check my system whatever over and over and it is totally USELESS... they're trying to convince me that I have an unstable version of windows :D

Ken Cox

Really quit sickening, bought this back in November as soon as released crashed straight away. I don’t haver e to mess around so went back to capture one and light room. You would think after all the hype these basic issues would be fixed on day of release. I install again months later only to see an update way maybe its fixed after all 40+ crashes fixed.

Wrong all I hear is my heard drive wining normally an indication its being accessed 35 minutes in still on loading screen still sounds of hard drive being accessed.  No wait its now crashed…  I did not buy this for virtual dust expect product to work as intended.

You want to run with the big boys get your product working before release.

Denis Kotsee

Hi everyone. Currently there are two issues that may cause Luminar to only show the splash screen and then quit on Windows.

Issue 1.

A misconfigured Luminar Library folder. A library may break if there's an interruption during the indexing process, such as: a drive from which Luminar is reading files is disconnected; a user force closes Luminar while its indexing folders. We're aware that at the moment Luminar's performance while it's indexing the folders is slower than expected. We'll address this in the next update in about a week.

To resolve this:

• Make sure Luminar is closed.
    • Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    • Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.
    • Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type %appdata% in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the folder that opens, remove Luminar 3 folder.

When you start Luminar next time you'll be presented with the initial setup dialog. You will also need to reactivate the app. I'd recommend pointing Luminar to an empty folder just so that it doesn't index anything and loads up right away. You can always add folders later.

Issue 2.

An issue with Windows. In cases like this, when a user starts Luminar, a system library named KERNELBASE.DLL errors out. This doesn't seem to be connected to Luminar installation. Anyway, we're investigating this because information we have about this issue at the moment is inconclusive. A few users reported that using Windows 10 reset function solved this issue.

Simone Salotti

Same issue here.
    Tried the first method you suggest, now luminar starts but i've losed all my presets.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Simone,

I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue. Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll investigate the issue.

Han Speekhout

This is the 3rd time my Luminar tells me can not find database and closes at the start of the program. I regret the money i spend to buy the program. I love the options it has but this is frustrating me too much. Have bought a different program that does not give me this problems. Sorry guys but this was it for me with Luminar. Re-installed it every time when i had the issue but i am not willing to keep doing that. When you find a solution for this issue and make Luminar stable please let me know and i will try it again. You can reach me on my email if you have any other questions.

Han

Terry Rogers

Hi Han. We are sorry for the inconveniences. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to help you.

Ashok Soni

Got frustrated tried all solutions which did not work. Uninstalled Luminar 3 for the time being. Will wait for the next update and try installing and hope they have solved it as so many of are having the same problem :). Luminar 2018 still works.

Please sign in to leave a comment.