How can i access my Creative Kit plugins in Luminar 3

Comments

18 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Stephen,

Unfortunately since the Creative Kit apps have been discontinued, they will no longer be available as plugins with Luminar 3.

Comment actions Permalink
    David Tillett

Given they are written as standard Lightroom plugins and Luminar 3 supports standard Lightroom plugins if they work on current version of MacOS they should continue to run even if unsupported.

I found CK plugins in Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2018/Plug-ins/Filters and these were not greyed out. I have successfully added Noiseless and Snapheal plugins to Luminar 3. They do not appear in the Open In dialogue but can be run from Edit/Plugins when in Edit mode, returning the modified image as a new layer as it did in Luminar 2018.

If you are trying to run the CK apps as standalone apps then a workaround to fact you can't Open in them from Library is to right click on image in Luminar and select show in Finder (cmd-R) then right click on image in Finder and use "Open In" from Finder.

Save the modified image back to the same folder and Luminar 3 will automatically pick up that there is a new file in a catalogued folder and it will appear in the Library.

Of course if you are using RAW files and have a new camera that is not supported by the CK apps it never will be and you will have to use TIFF or similar to keep working.

Hope this helps.

David

Stephen Rudolph

excellent ! thanks

Steve Adams

Why am I not surprised that Skylum would fail to continue access to Skylum products in Luminar. I thought I'd be able to use FX Photo Studio, which I still use extensively, from the new version of Luminar.

As for the workarounds that David offered, I appreciate that information but I don't have to use workarounds with Alien Skin Exposure X4. In Exposure I can access Photo Studio directly. It's sad that a competitor does a better job of supporting Skylum products than Skylum does.

Stephen Rudolph

@Steve.

I have been using the creative kit, but i only use the apps occasionally as they are not the usual processing done on a photo. I will have no problem just launching the respective app and work on a single photo.. 

Aside from that .. apps like tonality shouldn't be deep 6'd. They should have been INCORPORATED into Luminar 3.  for example .. port TONALITY into a new filter with all the sliders... which would work in conjunction with a TONALITY LOOKS pack...  hmm... maybe luminar 4.

Steve Adams

@Stephen

Skylum has been incorporating Creative Kit functions into Luminar all along, but they don't have all of those functions covered yet. In my opinion, saying that you'll no longer allow access to functions OF YOUR OWN SOFTWARE because you no longer support that software doesn't make sense. People don't stop using software just because it's phased out. How many are STILL using Aperture?

Personally, I've been waiting for over a year for Luminar to live up to the hype. I thought there was something to be gained with Luminar's modular approach to image processing, but even in this new version I find implementation awkward. I feel like I'd have to adjust my workflow to work around Luminar shortcomings.

Luminar's ONLY FUNCTION that I can't do as well or better with Exposure is adding Sun Rays to an image, but if I really need that effect, I can implement it directly from Exposure by accessing Luminar as an external editor. That's even better than the kind of access Skylum killed for Creative Kit in Luminar.

So for me Luminar is a failed experiment and wasted money. My vision of how image processing should work is obviously quite different from Skylum's, and life is too short to wait for them to get it right.

All the best.

Stephen Rudolph

@steve adams,

Well of course everything is subjective, but i wouldn'dt call Luminar a failed experiment. I am only using Lightroom now for those deep processing capabilities , but I think Luminar covers about 95% of what i, and many others,  want.at a good price....d I used to triage my shots in Lightroom but i no longer have to with the Library Management Luminar

Just as i shoot some shots to Lightroom for special processing, i can shoot some shots to any of the Creative Kit apps. Not having to EDIT IN is a minor convenience compared with what Luminar Does..  I save HOURS of time with Luminar over lightroom and i'm happy with the results.

Now, of course the purists with say that Luminar is nothing but a glorified SNAPSEED, and there is nothing wrong with that. To each his own and sometimes the filters are amazing... 

i do agree with you that they should have allowed the plugin though...  A deal killer for me would have been that horrible little scroll bar.

All the best to your and loved ones at this time of year, Steve and i hope you have a great 2019 with a lot of WOW photography moments. 

Mike McClure

Thanks for the plug-in information David Tillet. Also, I agree with Steve Adams that easy access to the Creative Kit Plug-ins should have been included in Luminar 3. I started my relationship with Macphun purchasing individual plug-ins and then purchased Creative Kit Pro. Since then I have gone through all the versions of Luminar and Aurora, however, some of the plug-ins such as, Tonality and Focus are still excellent. I'm excited to see the implementation of Libraries, however, Luminar 3 doesn't feel as finished as Luminar 2018. I'd hoped it would carry on from Luminar 2018. Hopefully the version updates at the end of Dec.'18 and in Jan./Feb.'19 will start to improve things.  

Howie Nordstrom

I'm immensely disappointed to find that CK plugins aren't supported in L3. There's really no substitute for Noiseless. Thus far I'm finding L3 to be less useful than L2018: no support for CK plugins, slow to start, doesn't play well with macOS Photos. Thankfully it was a free upgrade... that's turning into an application trial that won't remain on my computer.

D Lynagh

I've asked this same question twice via email have been ignored.

Now I find that I cannot the best parts of the Creative Kit any longer with Luminar, simply because they are no longer supported.  Funny, I can pull the Nik collection in as plugins, but I'm also pretty sure that the old Nik suite isn't supported by Skylum either.

I'll be continuing to use Luminar 2018 for as long as I can...

Steve Adams

We can't link to Creative Kit because it's no longer supported by Skylum, but Aperture shows up on the list. How long has it been since Apple dropped support for Aperture? I don't follow the logic of that.

Direct access was available in Luminar 2018. It's gone in the new product. Unless Skylum developed completely new code for the new version of Luminar (doubtful), they took some action to remove that access.

I'll stick with products that allow me to work the way I want to work.

DENIS LABERGE

Waiting so long for this new version and kind of disappoint. I was waiting to decide if I will use lightroom ou luminar because I want to manage my picture outside of apple Photo. I bought over the years practically all product of Macphun an any off them can be use on Luminar 3 as plugins.  Very disappoint. Surely I would not pay for this version.

Blair Govan

ABSOLUTE BS!!! You no longer support!!! Seriously Creative Kit has beeter tools for more precise edits than what Luminar 3 has. So let me get this correct. I pay for a product and in less than 2 years you no longer support. At a minimum you should be offering the plugins to those who own the Creative Kit or one of the apps within. I get you stopped selling but to stop support to those who support you??? Poor business decision. Losing faith in Skylum quickly given the premature launch of Luminar 3 and now this. 

AND YES I EXPECT A REPLY BY SKYLUM. What is the justification behind this flawed decision?

Steve Adams

@Blair Govan

When you consider that Luminar 3 is not ready for prime time AFTER OVER A YEAR OF PROMISES ABOUT THE DAM RELEASE (the first promise I bought in to was for early 2018), I can't help but wonder about Skylum's business model. I lost faith and moved on a while back. 

As I stated earlier, if you really want a functional DAM and image editing and access to the Creative Kit modules you paid Skylum for, consider leaving Skylum for a competitor. I can do all of those things with Alien Skin Exposure X4 without having to make a subscription commitment.

Best of luck on getting any kind of satisfaction from Skylum. 

Blair Govan

K so figured out a workaround. But what a joke that Skylum has not incorporated as plugin for Luminar 3.

1. Open file in Luminar.
    2. Export as .psd
    3. Import into Lightroom
    4. Now use as plugin from Lightroom.

Honestly though, Luminar3 has so many issues and simply can’t use as a DAM. To slow too buggy.

So will continue to use Lightroom and Luminar3 as a plugin.

Blair Govan

I emailed Skylum Support and in fact we can use as a plugin!!!! As Angela states they no longer support Creative Kit (bad decision by Skylum) we can still use. Here are the steps for a Mac.

Open Finder, click Go > Go to Folder and paste the following path: /Library/Application Support/MacPhun Software. Locate the folder of the app you'd like to connect to Luminar 3. Navigate inside that folder - there will be a folder named Plug-ins there. Navigate inside the Plug-ins folder. There will be a bunch of files in there, the one you're interested in has .plugin extension.
    Copy the .plugin file somewhere where you can easily find it.
    In Luminar, double-click any photo to open the full preview mode.
    Click Edit > Plugins > Other > Open Plugin > point Luminar to the .plugin file you just copied. The CK app should open.

Note: not the one that has the numbers 32 in it.

William Jenks

It's stated elsewhere that all of CK functionality is in Luminar.  I don't believe that's true.  The blur effects in FX Studio are not easily duiplicated...or at laeast I can't find the they are.

Mike McClure

I agree with Blair Govan's comment. Skylum support was very helpful and provided me with the procedure Blair outlined. I followed that procedure and I now have access to my Creative Kit plug-ins when I'm using Luminar 3. He makes a very good point regarding 'not the plug-ins with the number 32'. I luckily chose the plug-ins without the number 32 by chance. I sent a note to Skylum support asking if the plug--ins would perform better with the 32 numbers. They advised no, don't use them.

Please sign in to leave a comment.