Luminar 3 early release issues

Comments

22 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Peter,

I'm glad to hear you are up and running, even though you had a few speed bumps along the way.

You can change your default Workspace by clicking the Workspaces drop-down and choose an alternate workspace. At that point click that same menu and set the new Workspace as your default. You can also do this a custom Workspace.

I'll check on the keyboard shortcuts and tooltips and see if I can find out when they will be added.

Comment actions Permalink
    :hintingimage

I am from Australia and got the same email. 

I actually had problems installing Luminar 3.  Is the installation process rely on large internet download?  And is there a support/FAQ page for Luminar 3?

Peter Hanmore

Angela, I noticed that option after changing the workspace a few times - that's all sorted out now.

I'm very surprised to hear that keyboard shortcuts were removed in this version (or maybe it's just my installation?) because they were all there in L18 and the shortcuts are even listed in the menus for L3 - they just don't work.

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the response I got from support which basically said "those are great suggestions... I'll speak to the engineers and they'll be in touch if they have questions.".  To me the questions (NOT suggestions) I had should have been immediately answerable by support if they had used the new version much at all.

L3 did a great job on the edits from today though.  Fast output and easy to use.

Chris Hammond

I also got the early release. 

Good to hear that I am not the only one that the C for crop shortcut isnt working.
    Library crashed when I tried to let it scan all my pics, working on folder by folder now. 

I am also having huge issue with colour looking different than what I export, that is pretty much a deal killer for me. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Peter,

A quick update for you. Here are the keyboard shortcuts that are currently available in Luminar 3. We'll be added more (as well as tool tips) in future updates.

General
    Space Quick switch between Single Image View/Gallery View

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit Menu
    Ctrl+Z Undo
    Ctrl+Y Redo
    Ctrl+A Select All
    Ctrl+D Deselect All

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Image Menu

Set Flag
    P Flagged
    X Rejected
    U Unmarked

Set Rating
    5 5-star rating
    4 4-star rating
    3 3-star rating
    2 2-star rating
    1 1-star rating
    0 0-star rating

Set Color Label
    6 Red
    7 Yellow
    8 Green
    9 Blue

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    View Menu
    Cmd++ Zoom In
    Cmd+- Zoom Out

Peter Hanmore

Thanks for the update/confirmation of the current keyboard shortcuts, Angela.

Please understand my (and I'm sure others) frustration that from a usability standpoint, the product has regressed because you removed functionality that was already in the previous version.  Being able to do something as simple as pressing C to crop or adjusting the brush size using the [ and ] keys instead of using the mouse to select a new brush size saves a huge amount of time when doing touch up work.

Angela Andrieux

@:hintingimage - The FAQ and User Guide will be available on our website on December 18 when Luminar 3 officially launches.

With regard to your installation issues, please reach out to support@skylum.com with the following information:

In case the steps above didn't help:

• Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type msinfo32 in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have System Summary highlighted on the left.
    • Click File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it
      and attach this text file to your email to support@skylum.com.
    Angela Andrieux

@Chris Hammond - Can you tell us a bit more about the color issues you're having? What settings are you using to export your images?

Peter Hanmore

@Angela - I think I'm also seeing what Chris may have commented about but I'm not sure that it's an issue with L3 or not.  The image I see in L3 compared to the outuput jpg (100%, sRGB) is lighter and less orangey.  I looked at the output jpg in a couple different viewers (ms Photos & Irfanview).  For comparison I opened the jpg from L3 in another colour managed photo editor and it looks the same as L3.  Here is a sample comparison -perhaps not the best but I did notice the difference - L3 on the left (original raw with edits), MS Photo showing L3 output jpg, alternate image editor (colour managed) of L3 output jpg.  Based on this it looks like the issue may be due to viewing the output file in an application that isn't colour managed - might not be Chris' issue but it's one possible reason for the difference.

Chris Hammond

@Angela Andrieux 

Best I can do is show you in a picture. Luminar3 is inconsistent even within its self. It shows me one colour in the edit window and a different colour in the crop window. And when I export with all default settings I get the colour from the crop window.

Edit window on the left and Crop window on the right.

Peter Hanmore

@Chris,

that's a pretty serious colour shift.  I do see some shifting between different viewers (see comment above) but I did screenshots (using snipping tool) of the edit and crop screens and they look the same on my system.  I'm assuming you have colour calibrated your monitor?

Denis Kotsee

@Chris Hammond could you please send us the image with which you're having this issue? Also, are you using a color profile? What is it?

Chris Hammond

I found something interesting out.

I loaded the same pics into lightroom and found that in the LR Library I get the same yellow look. But when I load it into the LR Develop module I get the colour I would expect. This look is also constant with what I see if I export and upload the picture and view it on my phone, TV, other computer.

So as there is more resources for lighroom I looked around and found lots of people with this issue. 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4202338

I need to look into my colour profiles a bit and pick up a monitor calibrator but my primary problem is Luminar3 is using the colour I see in library as the edit colour profile and when I export I get a completely different looking picture. 

Denis Kotsee

I see, thanks for the additional insight. I'd recommend verifying that your monitor is properly calibrated first, and then, if the issue with Luminar persists, we'll troubleshoot it.

Peter Hanmore

@angela,

I was looking at the L3 user guide that was linked in a different post and it states on page 183 that brush size can be controlled with [ and ] and softness with SHIFT+[ and SHIFT+] .  On page 200 is also states that pressing C will enter crop mode.  Neither of these work, and by your own list posted above are not currently supported.

Which is correct?  Should these other keyboard shortcuts work as the user guide suggests?  If not, please have someone go through the manual and remove all the incorrect information.  If they should work, please let me know and I will file a bug report with Skylum support.

ibon zabala

I think luminar 3.0 for windows don't have a color management.

John Aldred

I am having some of these problems.  I complained about lack of tool tips with the previous version.  I do not find the stamp clone tool working properly as I cannot seem to reset its point of origin. The erase tool does not show you progress you have to wait until you enter your actions before you see what it has achieved.  No other software is this clunky with such tools.

I wonder why Luminar 3 lists 2018 in my folder list after 2008 and before 2009 ... that is very confusing.

John Aldred

Have just reinstalled Luminar 3 as I have a number of issues.  I waited after installation for the program to start  ... after staring at a very boring splash-screen for about 3 minutes and eventually clicking my mouse several times it woke up.  My 2018 folder is still out of place as mentioned in my post above.  Very disappointed in this update. 

ibon zabala

Thanks for the reply.

The monitor is correctly calibrated.

If you wish, I can send screenshots showing the differences of working with an AdobeRGB file in LR, PS, .... regarding Luminar 3.0 .

In all those programs (LR, PS, windows viewer, ..) the photo looks the same and when you open it in Luminar it looks different.

Regards

Ibon

Chris Hammond

@ibon zabala

Yes this is also my problem. My Monitor isnt calibrated but when I open the picture in LR, PS, Windows, Multiple devices(computer, phone, laptop) it looks the same. But I open to edit in Luminar3 and it looks different in the edit window. 

Denis Kotsee

We'll bring back keyboard shortcuts on Windows by the end of December or in the end of January - beginning of Februrary.

Here's the correct version of the user guide:https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fhnni2xdvlthda/Luminar%20User%20Guide_1.pdf?dl=0

Luminar 3 is color managed on Windows. If you're seeing color differences, verify that your monitor is properly calibrated.

We'll address performance and stability issues in the end of January - beginning of Februrary.

Chris Hammond

I understand that my monitor might not be calibrated, but that dosent remove the fact that LR and PS and other programs show me the picture correctly but Luminar cant?

Please sign in to leave a comment.