Luminar 3 & Nik Collection

Comments

32 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Philip,

They should be recognized, but if you encounter any issues when Luminar 3 is released please let us know and we'll be happy to help sort it out.

Comment actions Permalink
    Deborah Hinter

I have Luminar 3 with Libraries, and the NIK Collection is greyed out when I go to Plugins, Other.

Denis Kotsee
    1. Is Luminar 3 installed into your Applications folder?
    2. Can you still use Nik plugins in Luminar 2018?
    3. Please send us a screenshot of how the Plugins menu looks in your Luminar.
    Deborah Hinter

I can use NIK Plugins with Lightroom.  They are in my Applications folder.  They do not work with Luminar 2018 or with Luminar 3

Angela Andrieux

Hi Deborah,

In the screenshot you sent, it looks like the Nik apps are accessible. From that screen can you click on one of the Nik apps to add it to Luminar 3?

Deborah Hinter

They are all greyed out, not able to click on them to add them. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Deborah,

For convenience, if a user has Photoshop, Luminar looks for third-party apps in PS plugin folder but it's not required to have Photoshop to use third-party apps as plugins. What you need is a .plugin file. You can then point Luminar to those files and the third-party app should launch. You may need to contact DXO to download the .plugin files for the Nik apps.

Roger Backhouse

This was helpful. However, I have two machines, one which had Photoshop installed, and one which did not. On the one with Photoshop, Luminar recognised all my Nik plugins, but on the other it did not. I tried to fix the problem by finding the plugin files and copying them to the other machine, but that did not work. So I ended up with menu entries that do not work .

I realised one solution was to install Photoshop on the other machine (even though I cannot actually use it as I chose not to renew my CC licence, anticipating I would be able to use Luminar instead :-) ), and when I did that, it almost worked in that a list of Nik plugins appeared. I should have thought of this first! But a couple of the plugins still don't work, presumably because of my messed up attempt to copy them from the other machine. So I think what I need to do is to completely remove Luminar 3 and reinstall it. How do I do that? If I drag Luminar3 to the recycle bin, and delete the catalog, and then reinstall, the system still remembers the incorrectly installed menu items that I want to delete. All I can think of is erasing the HDD and reinstalling MacOS, but there is no way I am going to do that just for this.

Philip Allen

Roger. I have manged to install Nik plug ins in Luminar3. I'm on a Mac and I don't have Photoshop.

This way around the issue is taken from a tutorial to install the plug ins into Affinity but it works with Luminar.

In Applications create a new folder and rename it. I've called mine 'Luminar Nik Plug ins'.  Copy and paste the complete Nik Collection into this folder.  In Luminar  go to Plugins > Other. Navigate to the new folder in Applications and install each plug in individually.  Hope that helps.

Roger Backhouse

Thanks for this, but it does not work for me, I assume you mean a duplicate copy of the nik.app files, which are already in "Applications/Nik Collection". My problem now is that nothing is happening when I select Plugins/Other, or any of the plugins listed. This happens, or rather does not happen, even after I have dragged Luminar to the trash and re-installed it. It clearly stores some configuration information somewhere, that is not getting deleted when I erase and reinstall. I found one other Luminar folder containing settings and deleted that too, but no difference. I feel some setting has got corrupted and I am failing to reset it.

This will probably have to wait until after the holiday season now.

Denis Kotsee

@Roger Backhouse you need the .plugin files for Nik Collection. To add those plugins to L3:

1. In L3, double-click any image in the gallery to open full image preview.
    2. Click Edit > Plugins > Other > Select Plugin > point L3 to the .plugin file of your choice.

There's a known issue with the Plugin menu not opening when you're in the gallery mode, we'll fix it soon:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360035405452-Luminar-3-Update-From-Support-Team-2

Roger Backhouse

Thank you. On my iMac, this explains why the plugins suddenly stopped working. I must have been using them from Edit before, and then tried from Library without realising I was doing anything different. However, I still have the problem on the Macbook. The plugins appear to work from other host applications, but when I try from the Macbook, I get a blank window with some. Also, as I said before, I would really like to know how to erase all settings and start again, if only  because there are now multiple entries for Silver Efex 2 in the plugin menu: a couple do nothing when selected, and a couple bring up a window that is entirely pure red. 

Ian Forber

The workaround still doesn't seem to work for me. I downloaded the new version of Nik Collection (I had been using the older versions), created a copy of the plugins as described above by Denis. I can navigate using the Edit menu and can see both the Nik Collection and my copied "Luminar Nik Plug ins" folders, but the actual plug ins are greyed out.

Any ideas?

Update: I was previously trying to connect to the app files. When I try to connect to the plug in files they are there and able to be clicked on but trying to open a file from L3 in SFX Pro just results in a bright red screen.

Update 2: just tried it in Luminar 2018 and the new SFX Pro plug worked fine. All I need now is to make it work in L3!!

Help!

Ian

Colin Grant

All I get on Mac when opening L3 edit in Color Efex is a red window. What is going on? This software really is a crock of .... Please Skylum pull the release and let us all go back to a supported L2018. If you want to build a dam (and you appear incapable) please build it as a separate app. Most of us don't want it anyway, especially now.

Roger Backhouse

I hoped the latest Luminar upgrade would fix it, but no. I also get a Red window with Silver Efex, a transparent window with HDR efex, Viveza works as it should, and nothing happens when I select Color Efex.

I would still like to know how to reset everything, because I now have four Silver Efex entries in the plugins sub-menu, and would like to be able to clean it up.

Colin Grant

Me thinks the entire piece of software should be cleaned from our computers as it seems to be doing more harm than good. I certainly would not and do not use it for production work. I value the safety of my images too much.

Deborah Hinter

Hello All, I have tried all the solutions presented here on my macbook pro, with L3 and the NIK apps are greyed out.  Is there a way to find the NIK .plugin files spoken of here?  I have searched in OS but they do not show

Denis Kotsee
    1. Open Finder, click Go > Go to Folder and paste the following path: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CC/DxO
    2. There should be folders with the names of Nik apps there, each folder contains the .plugin file you're looking for.

Deborah Hinter

Thx Denis.  I however have the original NIK, and those plugins work with my LR6

Deborah Hinter

Mine all appear as apps

Angela Andrieux

Hi Deborah,

Please do the following:
    1. Make sure you have Nik Collection installed in the Applications Folder.
    2. Launch the installer>Right-click Nik Collection icon>Show Package Contents>Contents>Resources.
    3. You will find some files with .tar.gz. extension there. Please, copy all of them to any location on your Mac.
    4. Unzip each of the files you have copied in Step 3. The files you are interested in have .plugin extension.

Bernard Claro

I have installed the 3 1 2 version of Luminar on my mac and try to add silver efex pro 2 as a plug in but it doesn’t work : you can add it because you are not able to click on it

Can you help me

Ric Ferrentino

Per the most recent Jim Nix video (regarding the 3.1.2 update) he states that 3.1.2 now supports the Nik collection as plug-ins on Mac. I have attempted - from within Luminar and as best I can from the above 'instructions' - and can not enable Nik tools as plug-ins within Luminar 3.1.2. Can Skylum please publish some detailed instructions on how to achieve this. Further - where are the release notes for this update, so that users can know what the update is supposed to contain?

Bernard Claro

I can't add Tonality as well because you are not able to click on it.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bernard and Axis of Beagles - Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help you.

Kris De Winter

Any ETA for WIN?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kris,

We are working on Nik Support for Windows, but I don't have an ETA for the release at this time.

Deborah Hinter

I was able to get the Google NIK Collection working with Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3.  I uninstalled both programs.  I went into Lightroom and removed all connections from there also and uninstalled Skylum products as plugins.  I then used App Cleaner and removed all references to Skylum products.

I then created a NEW FOLDER in the APPLICATIONS, called PHOTOSHOP PLUGINS.

I then used the Installer with Google NIK, and clicked on the + sign while installing, and pointed the installer to the newly created PHOTOSHOP PLUGINS folder in the APPLICATIONS.

I then told the installer to install NIK to that folder.

Then I downloaded my programs again from Skylum.

I installed Luminar 2018.

I opened up an image inside Luminar 2018, and went up to Plugins, other and pointed it to the NEW PHOTOSHOP PLUGINS folder, then kept drilling down until the actual .plugin was located and clicked.

I did the same process for Luminar 3.

Now when I open these programs, and go to plugins, the NIK plugins show up and work fine.  

I hope this helps someone here who has experienced the same frustrations.

René Vlak

Hi Deborah,

Thank you so much for sharing this solution! I have been in contact with Luminar support about this, but they did not (yet) come up with this solution. So I will gladly share it with them.

By the way, I uninstalled Google Nik collection, but there was no need to uninstall Luminar 3 from my Mac. The trick really is that during the install procedure, when asked which applications should work with Google Nik Collection, you have to add the newly created 'Photoshop plugins' folder with the + sign (as if that empty folder were an application) and then install the Google Nik collection into that folder.

By the way, in case anyone is looking for the original Google Nik Collection installer (not the newly updated DXO version that offers a 30-day trial only), it can be downloaded here: https://filehippo.com/mac/download_dxo_nik_collection_for_mac/67076/

Chris Johnson

Hi

I have downloaded from the Mac App store Luminar 3 version 3.1.2 today which I run on an iMac. I have attempted to get the Nik plugins to work but am failing. I have the plugin files in a 'Photoshop Plugins' folder but when I go to File/Open In, all I can see are a list of programs such as Lightroom. Photos, etc. There doesn't seem to be any way to point it at the 'Photoshop Plugins' folder. 

Any help to sort this out would be much appreciated.

Please sign in to leave a comment.