Resize, Change both width and hieght, keep ppi and adjust capture for a 8x10 print

Comments

9 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dave,

First, use the crop tool to crop to an 8x10 ratio (4:5 or 5:4 depending if it is portrait or landscape orientation).

Then, export your file as a TIFF and set the Resize drop-down to long edge and enter 3000 pixels and set your resolution to 300ppi.

You should then be able to print as desired.

Let me know if I can provide further guidance.

Comment actions Permalink
    Dave Boettcher

Angela,

Thank you very much. I would have never figured it out. LOL  

Angela Andrieux

You're very welcome, Dave! :-)

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure I fully understand the technical nuance of your question, but I'll do my best to answer.

There is no data loss in the crop if you save your image as a .lmnr file in addition to exporting. The .lmnr files are non-destructive and you can go back and modify (or undo) the crop if you wish.

If you export a cropped image (to a TIFF for example) the loss would be whatever parts of the image were cropped. In addition, if your export includes a resize such as limiting the pixels on the long edge thereby reducing the overall resolution, there would be some data loss there as well.

It is worth noting that neither of these methods/steps will overwrite your raw image so you can go back and work with the original pixels whenever you wish.

If I can further elaborate, please let me know. Also, if I didn't fully address your question please clarify and I can pass the question to our technical department.

Angela Andrieux

Will do, Mike. I'll get back to you when I have more information.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mike - Just heard back from our tech department. We use Lanczos resampling. As far as I understand this is used for both crop and resizing.

I hope that helps!

Dave Boettcher

Hi Angela,

In follow up to my question. as an example, I take a photo of pond an old dock, Oak trees with ducks around it and a beatiful old house. In the view finder each is postioned exactly as I want them. The semitry is perfect.  

I view the photo in Luminar (after post processing) it look exactly as I want it printed. 

I need an 8 x 10 print. As you pointed out, using the crop tool with an aspect ratio of 5:4, the crop eliminates part of the sceen and it no longer is the capture I orginally made.

Is there a way to shrink the entire capture so it all fits in a 8 x 10 print? Or, another standard size. Custom printing, matting and framing becomes very expensive.

I hope you are able to understand this mess of a question, LOL.

Thanks

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mike,

Yes, Luminar resamples when cropping and exporting. At this time there is no way to export or crop without resampling.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dave,

Most cameras shoot at a 2:3 ratio so a similar size would be an 8x12 without any cropping. Most framing shops in the US (Michaels, Aaron Brothers, etc.) sell mats and frames to fit an 8x12 print these days.

I hope that helps!

Please sign in to leave a comment.