Name changing in the new Luminar 3

Comments

14 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Henry,

Is this something you do on import or export?

In Luminar 3 you'll be able to rename your images on export, but not on import (at least with the initial release).

Comment actions Permalink
    Henny Jesterhoudt

I upload my pictures from GSM or Camera to a folder on my Mac, under the year (2018) and the month (12) and than a subfolder originals. Ater that I rename in batch them to e.g. 20181211-001 with Bridge.

This to avoid different names from cam. and gsm. They are all sorted by the time of taking.

As the DAM works in a different way I have seen, I wondered if Luminar does somewhat simular, sothat maybe I can skip one action.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Henry,

Luminar does not rename photos upon import. If you wish to continue this naming strategy you'll want to do that step in Bridge before importing your images into Luminar 3.

George Christian

Is renaming ever going to be an option with the DAM. I know there is a roadmap for it, but is there somewhere to see the actual features being implemented?

Denis Kotsee

Check the roadmap page from time to time, we'll be posting updates and announcements about upcoming features there: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

George Christian

That is not really a great list; future January 2019 - December 2019. How many releases? When are they planned? Which features in which release?

Angela Andrieux

Hi George,

The features and dates for each release will be added when we get closer to each update.

George Christian

Surely you have targets in mind, and you have to have a plan of what features will be in those releases. Everybody knows that roadmaps are not set in stone and can be changed. But telling me that the LR import is coming sometime is useless. You may as well not have a roadmap.

mary riley

So this is my replacement for Adobe and Bridge... are you going to get renaming put in here. I waited a year for this library and am shocked that this basic feature for photo management is not there... and i have to download another tool to do this for me.  (also gps tagging at the same time :) )

Jörg Hahn

This is really disappointing. Renaming on import is a very basic feature of any DAM software but what really worries me is that renaming is not even on your roadmap.

@ Angela Andrieux: I don‘t know if this feature has been left out intentionally but if this is the case I would be interrested to hear from you (Skylum) why you believe that renaming is not necessary... or if there is an alternative solution (other than using an Adobe product).

Christopher Grisanti

It appears that there are some great tools in Luminar, and I'm certain that a team of people has worked very hard to meet deadlines of releasing the new version. But, after waiting patiently for such a long time, it's hard to believe that I cannot batch rename images on export. Nor can I add keywords, or see full EXIF data. I used Luminar for my first shoot of 2019 hoping that I'd be able to use it for all my professional work going forward. It's still clunky (which is not unexpected for a new version). But I think there's a way to go yet. 

mary riley

I fully agree C Grisanti 

Seamus Warren

I was using Lightroom systematically replacing cryptic with meaningful file names while weeding out (redundant) duplicate and triplicate images and then stopped using it for months and months.

Update: I am reminded Photo Mechanic may be a viable alternative to Lightroom (6.14) for applying file names to images upon import.

My hope is that within Photo Mechanic, batches of images already imported via Lightroom can be renamed with ease, though I think these updates will not be reflected in the Luminar catalogue. 

Meanwhile, I remembered why I wanted the original file number suffix (applied in-camera) to be included in the file naming convention - to uniquely identify burst images captured in milliseconds. 

Also found some nice file naming tips here but I did lose interest when they started describing written php scripts:

https://medium.com/@maartendeboer/advanced-file-naming-with-lightroom-5adcdd6c800e 

The file naming convention is shaping up as described below:

PHOTOGRAPHER’S NAME_CAMERA MAKE_CAMERA MODEL_CAMERA SERIAL NUMBER_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_Original number suffix (distinguishes burst images captured in milliseconds)_Event & Location

Example:

SWARREN_OLYMPUS_E-M1_BHP124365_20180411_231142_4110782_”The Recliner” Harry Warren at Balgowlah.JPG

"Event" and "Location" are an informal field - a description along the lines of that used in the analogue world when we'd write a note on the back of an actual physical photograph. 🤪

Lightroom facilitates file naming templates to streamline the process:

Lightroom 6.14 on my old iMac is a bit clunky or "lethargic".

Photo Mechanic is reportedly faster at "ingesting" (importing) images and maybe offers more file naming options.

Donna Miller

I agree Christopher Grisanti! 

It doesn't have any ability to batch rename images. How hard is this? On1 RAW has the ability. AlienSkin Exposure really rocks batch renaming. It seems ridiculous that I have to pay for a separate image editing program just to do this. But that's what I'm going to do. Once I'm in another program though, I'm not likely to go back to Luminar for the few things that it can do which others can't, like Accent AI.

Unless big improvements are made in Luminar 3 and provided as free updates to those of us who have bought it. I even pre-paid on the promise of DAM libraries, and then waited a year to get the DAM functionality which was so buggy that I couldn't even use the program to edit an image because it crashed on me even when I was just browsing for the image I wanted to edit. I've been buying Luminar since it's inception, and used MacPhun products before then. But Luminar 3 has been so problematic, lost so many of my edits, that I'm about to leave the tribe even though I have been a supporter from the beginning. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Please sign in to leave a comment.