Luminar is Very Poor replacement Noiseless & SnapHeal

Answered

Comments

5 comments

John Minick

I need to mention that I really like Luminar.  I am not wanting to leave Skylum.  With a three small tweaks Luminar could go from being a good product to an EXCELLENT PRODUCT!

Improvement # 1

I really miss Noiseless.  This feature has really opened up a new world of photography for me.  In the past phone and tablet  pictures were just too noisy to share.  With Noiseless that is no longer true.  Some of my favorite pictures were taken on an iPhone 7+ and perfected in Noiseless.

Improvement # 2

The other tool I miss is SnapHeal's content aware removal tool.  On several occasions, this was the most useful tool in replacing an unwanted artifact in a photo.  Affinity Photo and Pixelmator Pro have similar technologies, yet as I mentioned there were times that SnapHeal clearly produced the best results.  I wish Skylum would improve their content removal tool and incorporate it into Luminar.

Improvement # 3

Finally, I sure wish Luminar had the ability to do local adjustments!

Luminar has all of these neat filters which I am glad to have.  I just want the ability to easily apply these neat filters to specific areas of my photos.  Is that too much to ask?

Frequently I need to reduce the noise, increase contrast or saturation in only one section of the photo.  I am not an artist so painting the effect in is difficult.

DXO has this amazing U-Point Technology.  Skylum really needs their own version of this technology.

With U-Point technology All you have to do is select a point of interest and add a control point.  The app then figures out what you want and automatically and intelligently extends your selection to areas that share the same characteristics within an adjustable radius. Your adjustments will only be added to the specific places you want.

This would allow the excellent Luminar filters to be applied to specific areas of a photo easily with clean selections.  The glaring weakness in Luminar is the inability to easily and accurately apply Luminar's neat tools and filters to specific regions of a photo.

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

U Point is colour aware so it only adjusts the colour under the control point within the confines of the circle. It is a very useful tool but it is to an extent old tech now. Colour range and luminosity masking for instance is better and sits higher up the wanted list for me, although there is a place for U Point.

I agree with you when you say the masking functionality of Luminar needs improvement but there is at least the masking brush, the dodge and burn filter and the gradient mask. That should surely give you the ability to do some selective/local adjustment editing? You make it sound like it is altogether impossible!

John Minick

Colin,

Thanks for your clarification.

Yes you can do selective editing if you have a very steady hand.  I have a steady hand, but I not an artist so making an accurate mask quickly and easily is not my forte. 

Luminar is a very up to date application except in this area.  Every time I do a mask in Luminar I remember the old days of Micrographix Paint.  As you stated above - masking in Luminar needs improvement.  Let us hope that masking in Luminar will be greatly improved soon.

Colin Grant

Some will say that fine masking is not a requirement in an image enhancement app as opposed to a PS type app - it is one of the ongoing debates over at DxO. Some believe that U Point is fine enough, others disagree. One thing for sure stuff like luminosity and colour range are sadly lacking in both DxO and Luminar.

Billy Fisher

In Luminar 3 just found the Tools > Erase functionality which works really well for what I used to use Snapheal for 💡

Please sign in to leave a comment.