Thumbnails re .lmnr files

Comments

35 comments

Anna V

Hi Colin,

Please untick "Windows compatible" when saving the file and you should be able to see the thumbnails on Mac. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

No go I'm afraid, Anna.

John West

Hi Anna,

Luminar 1.3.2 (5560) Mac High Sierra

I also cannot see thumbnails on .lmnr files in either Luminar as a stand alone or when viewing in Finder.

Denis Kotsee

This is odd. Could you please see if the same behavior occurs when you save the sample image in a project file (mark only Save Original Resources when saving).

Colin Grant

That was how I was saving anyway. Have also tried with history checked. Mac Mojave. Strange that NeoFinder reads the thumbnail ok though.

Colin

Denis Kotsee

I'm thinking that this might have something to do with the custom previewers that might be installed on your system. You can try installing a fresh copy of Luminar in a guest account on your Mac and see if you get project previews there.

John West

Hi Denise

Also did not work Mac High Sierra

Leila Evans

Have you tried reinstalling the app? It can help. Also, please, don't forget to uncheck "Windows compatible" checkbox.

Colin Grant

The last time I saw this working was on Luminar 2017. Ever since then it has been an acknowledged bug and I have never heard that it had been cured. Maybe this is the same thing? Because of the great deal being offered I have comer back to Luminar in the hope that real progress had been made. Thus far it is not looking so good - I am finding corrections lagging well behind slider movement, thumbnails that do not show up  in .lmnr files and an AI Sky Tool that really is of little use.

Mark Quatz

Same problem here. Reinstalled the app and unchecked the "windows compatible" checkbox.

Denis Kotsee

My apologies to anyone who I might have mislead with my answer. The previews for Luminar 2018 projects are displayed when the following two conditions are true:

• you have Luminar Neptune installed
    • you have unchecked Windows Compatible when saving .lmnr project file

As Colin Grant mentioned above, this is a known issue that is yet to be addressed.

Colin Grant

You must admit Denis this is very poor seeing as thumbnails have not worked since Neptune! Why has nothing been done after all it must be a developer inflicted bug as it did work in Neptune? Can you confirm that the thumbnails will be viewable (that is the project file thumbnails) in the forthcoming DAM?

To other Mac users, you may like to have a look at NeoFinder (there is a free trial). It is a nice DAM with lots of features, including geo-tagging linked to map functionality. It does read the thumbnails from Luminar project files, and also Affinity Photo I believe. I have absolutely no connection with the software other than I have trialled it and quite like it but use LR. My plan was  if ever Luminar caught up with Adobe I could move to Luminar and use NeoFinder as my DAM. 

Colin Grant

Denis Kotsee, it seems some of the old Luminar bugs persist - project file thumbnail viewing, exif data stripping and unreliable lens correction. Will this all be corrected at the next update? If you cannot confirm that then perhaps I should exercise my right to a refund.

Mark Quatz

This problem is already reported in November 2017...

Colin Grant

My point is exactly that - it is  now Nov 2018 and no fix!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

I'm waiting on answers about the EXIF data and lens correction, but the .lmnr file icons will not have thumbnail previews in the December release.

Colin Grant

Thank you for the update, Angela, it is appreciated. Words though rather escape me for we have had all the hype about a DAM that is being redesigned from the ground up and it will not even be able to read Luminar's project files. And that is whilst a completely unrelated Mac DAM can. How do Skylum explain that, especially since we had the functionality in 2017!

This is all smoke and mirrors and I am not sure we can really believe all we here from the devs. I see no point in hanging around so what do I do to claim my refund please - the software is not working as expected and there is no timescale to suggest when it will. We do not even know the specs for the DAM to be released or what the ensuing road map looks like. To be frank that AI Sky Filter is not working too well here either.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

The Library should recognize and preview (and of course open) .lmnr files, but in the Finder (Mac) and Explorer (Windows) the .lmnr icon will show rather than a thumbnail preview.

Colin Grant

Ah a bit of a misunderstanding there, Angela. If the DAM recognises Luminar project files then that is not so bad and I take back my refund request and will watch development with interest. Have to say I would not have done that if it were not for the price deals around but they are around so I have :-)

Michael Klass

The problem continues with Luminar files not being visible in Mac Finder (Mojave 10.14.4). The fact that this appears to be a 2 year old problem is discouraging. 

All that time developing the cataloging functionality, but nothing to fix the basic problems with Luminar. 

It pretty stupid having to open a lmnr file, just to see what image it is. 

Colin Grant

If I were a gambler I would bet that they are discontinuing .lmnr but like always they are not communicating. They never communicate in an informative way, not when it comes to development or bugs. When you think about it L3 has no need for the project files and the same could be argued with Flex which is just a plugin.

Anna V

Hi Michael, 

You can see the thumbnail of the .lmnr files via Mac Finder if you save the file via Save as and untick the option "Windows compatible", see the screenshot: http://prntscr.com/nraj4t 

Colin Grant

@Anna Veras, have you actually tried this because it does not work on my 2017 iMac and never has? Have any other users had success with this approach?

Michael Klass

Yeah, it doesn't work. I have never checked that box, and I still cannot see the thumbnail in Finder on a Mac running OS 10.14.4. 

The lmnr fils is what gave Luminar 2018 and gives Flex it's "non-destructive" capability. That is important to me and to most photographers. Most serious photo editing software achieves that with side-cars files (LightRoom. OneOne Photo RAW, Capture NX-D, etc). You can cchieve that using ACR just by saving the edited image as a DNG. PS, of course, useless it PSD file format. The best implementation was the old Nikon Capture NX and NX2 which simply save get edits as instructions back into the NEF. 

As I have no interest in relying on Luminar 3 or any other "all-in-one solution" for maintaining my image library, if Luminar doesn't increase the compatibility fo the lmnr file, much less eliminate it, I can see no way to continue to use Luminar in any form. The same applies to the standalone status of Flex.

This is promising photo editing software, bu the seeming pig-headedness of Skylum seems to be dooming it to irrelevance.

When I asked CamerBIts to enable viewing lmnr files in Photo Mechanic, they said they probably wouldn't bother as me and 1 other user of PM seemed to be the only users of Luminar that also use Photo Mechanic.

Colin Grant

Lr allows for sidecar files or to save edits in the same way as L3, DxO is the same. L3 is a none destructive editor but does not give a sidecar file option. There are those who hate sidecar files which is fair enough although I am not one of them.

Trouble with anything Skylum is you cannot trust the staff and therefore the software. They clearly do not know their own products as evidenced by Anna Veres' ridiculous response to the question of .lmnr files. All that said I am not aware of any raw editor that allows for edited raws to be viewed outside of the software - unless converted to a standard format where the edit is baked in. Even edits in Capture NX, where edits are saved back to the nef, were not visible outside of the software itself. I guess the best you are ever going to get is a view of the raw files base thumbnail.

Michael Klass

Maybe you can't see the edits, but you can have a non-destructive way to re-edit. How do you accomplish that in Flex if you do not save the lmnr file?

The problem with the lmnr file is that, even through it has an embedded thumbnail, you can't see it in a file browser/manager.So unless you already know what that file is, you don't know what image it covers.

As I said, I have no interest in L3 or even LR. I want an independent way of managing files so that I can assure future availability. So far, the best bet for that is ACR with saved DNGs/Flex offered a possibility with lmnr files, but that may not develop into a viable option long-term.

Maybe with enough suggestions Camera Bits will buy Luminar. They could probably develop it into a great editor and they certainly have some of the best, most responsive customer service in the business. Photo Mechanic is far and away the best image management system around. L3 is a toy compared to it.

Colin Grant

Flex is just a plug-in like Nik. It round trips back to the host and that is it. They have already said that the .lmr function will be removed. It is not for you then.

I agree L3 is poor indeed

Michael Klass

Too bad. Skylum has a declining client base due to their tone-deafness. Just another software company that will probably end up in the tech scrapheap.

Guess I'll go back to ACR and delete Luminar. Adobe is probably long-term.

Anna V

Hi Everyone, 

Please see the screenshot of the thumbnail of the .lmnr file created in Luminar Flex, that is how it looks like when you untick Windows compatible option(10.13.5):

http://prntscr.com/nrhe5k 

It works the same in Luminar 2018.  

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support  and we'll be happy to help.

Michael Klass

Well that's not what happens on my Mac (10.14.4) with the Windows compatible option unchecked.

Please sign in to leave a comment.