Another Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug

Comments

11 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mike,

Thanks for letting us know. If you still have an ongoing email conversation with support, please be sure to mention this issue. Otherwise, please email support@skylum.com and we'll be happy to look into it.

Comment actions Permalink
    Mike Hunt
    Hi Angela, yeah I already emailed support@skylum.com and advised them of the problem.

Anyway, I found out what caused the batch process to cancel abruptly. The Aurora HDR batch detection algorithm is incorrectly detecting then grouping the wrong images.

I have sent support@skylum.com 6 raw images(2x3 bracketed images) to test the batch process themselves.
    They'll notice the Aurora HDR algorithm fails to recognise them as 3 image sets, and adds the first image of the second set as a fourth bracket image to the first set. I don't know why the Aurora HDR coders didn't just allow the user to set the number of bracket images manually before initiating the batch process, like every other HDR application???

I must say, so far, I'm pretty disappointed with Aurora HDR's lack of bug testing before release.
    My needs are pretty basic, and every other HDR package I've used doesn't have any problems processing my test images.
    Regards
    Mike

Denis Kotsee

Thank you, we'll keep in touch via email - in the meantime I'd recommend trying to drag and drop photos into bracket groups of your choice - this way you'll be able to override Aurora's automatic bracket detection.

Mike Hunt

Thank you for your reply Denis,

Unfortunately I process a minimum of 120 images at a time, which means dragging and dropping 3 image groups 40 times, to guarantee that Aurora processes the images correctly.

A bit unreasonable to be considered practical don't you think?

Mike

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mike,

I completely understand your frustration. Having to manually group 120 images at a time is not convenient or efficient. Our techs will look into the images you sent over and will be in touch via email. I the meantime, take a look at the parameters that Aurora uses to group brackets below. If you notice anything in your process that might be causing a glitch with the rules please let us know.

In order to compose bracket groups, Aurora reads the images' metadata and checks for the following:

Rule 1

• Same file extension
    • Same exposure program
    • Same focal length

Rule 2

• Time difference between shots is less than 4 seconds

Rule 3

• If the image cannot be previewed the time difference between brackets should be less than 15 seconds in order for them to be recognized as a group

Rule 4

• Edges comparing

In case any of these checks returns false, the image will be recognized as a single.

Mike Hunt

The 6 images I sent you are two sets of 3 bracketed shots.

They are part of 120 bracket shots, all taken with the same camera/lens setup.

Aurora batch processed the first 90 images, then cancelled out as soon as they got to the 6 images I sent you.

When I tried another batch process on those 6 images again, it canceled out again.

Thats when I noticed that Aurora was grouping the 6 images incorrectly.

Please try them for yourself, that's why I sent them to you.

Mike

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Mike,

Thank you for sending them to us.

We will check them and contact you back soon via email.

Evan Thomas

Batch processing has been broken since it was released, with much fanfare, a couple of years ago. I provided support with images at the time that demonstrated the problem and was promised a fix multiple times. It never came. I gave up. Now we have version 2019 and it is still broken. 

The algorithm described above fails with panorama shooting perhaps because the time between brackets is less than 4s (move the camera, shoot, move, shoot, etc can be very quick) and edges are similar. 2018 had other failure scenarios as well.

Since it doesn't look like you can reliably detect the batches, you need to provide the ability in the UI to manually fix the brackets when your algorithms get it wrong. I asked for this when the "feature" first came out. 

Fortunately, PTGui can do the merging reliably and then I can tone map in Aurora. Oh, but then I can't export because exporting is broken too. 

Stefaan Boonen

Hi Mike,

I'm afraid that's not even the whole story ... even when the Batch detection algorithm works correctly it will/may fail/crash to DESKTOP at *any* time !

I used the EXACT same batches many times and it fails at all times! ... but sometimes at the first HDR bracketed images, at other occasions after 100 or so.

My guess is that we are seeing a serious memory corruption bug here and it will be there at all times, probably even for non-batch bracketed/singel? images.

I notified Support asap, but until now, got no feedback whatsoever. Guess at this time of release of this major new version Skylum gets quite a lot of feedback !?

BTW Aurora HDR 2018 does or did *not* have this problem (at least not with my Leica RWL/RAW files). Aurora 2019 OTOH does have problems with these exact same batches. I surely tested this more than once to be absolutely sure !

Kind regards,

Stefaan

Daniel Conklin

Angela,

Doing a simple bracket count input option, "3 brackets" "7 Brackets" would fix the problem if auto sort feature isn't working. Especially if we are shooting is dark areas needing 30 second exposures. I have done this with a simple script to separate my inside and outside bracket sets automatically. I would like to then just grab a folder and say here are all 5 bracket shots, batch them. But since I can't because we shoot 2500 brackets a day, I don't have time to babysit a batcher and the auto sort isn't working right for me either, I cannot use your program. I hope this can be added since I do like the results I am getting in testing.

Thanks,

Dan

Leila Evans

Hi Daniel,

Our team is working on implementing the better logic of grouping brackets in batch processing.

Thanks for being with us and stay tuned!

Please sign in to leave a comment.