About the new Aurora HDR 2019 reset problem

Comments

9 comments

Denis Kotsee

Reset all resets all filters in the filter stack to zero values. There's automatic tone mapping that is being applied when you import images into Aurora, so your photos will look differently after import. At the moment we're collecting user feedback about this. If this indeed turns out to be an issue, we'll take appropriate action.

Comment actions Permalink
    Lucien Routhier

Keeping tone mapping after a "reset all" does not make sense to me and should be corrected as soon as possible !!!! After a "reset all", it should be like the original photo. This is required in case the effects applied by the AI does not produce something good or artistic enough, which happened to me several times.For now I have to go back to Aurora HDR 2018 in order to do it manually without this toning effect. To me this is a major bug !!!!!

Denis Kotsee

Reset all button concerns only the filter stack on the right, and tone mapping is applied before that. It's not a bug per se but a design feature - we'll make a decision on whether to keep it or change it later.

Ed Richtsteig

When I started with HDR 2019 my first couple of images looked great when the program opened.  Now however the images are horribly over processed when the program opens.  Was wondering if there is a "Reset to factory specs" option.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ed,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with some of your images. There is no reset button, but if you'd like us to take a look, please email an example to support@skylum.com along with the steps you're taking in Aurora and we'll see what we can do to resolve it.

If the files are too large to email you can use WeTransfer.com and then send us the shared download link.

Thanks in advance!

Lucien Routhier

I know you asked us to provide examples of photos. I don't think it is really necessarily because the issue is that there should be an option to allow a photographer to do it completely manual, even if the photo is processed properly. The issue is to give the photographer some creative control to adjust the way he/she likes, even if technically the photo turns out good. Let's say the software produce a beautiful, very clear and colorful photo but I prefer to give it a darker grungy look... I think you should add an option on the "reset all" to clear absolutely everything that the software did when necessary. I am surprised this option does not exist. To me this is a bad design decision to not allow the user to completely have control when necessary.

Allen Cheuvront

The ability to add an unprocessed layer is crucial to my workflow. I need a base exposure layer without the lens correction. Please allow the adding a new image layer on the Windows platform

Maryna Skylum

Hi Allen,

To add another image layer, click the + button at the top of the Layers controls.

Also, you can learn more here:

https://skylum.com/aurorahdr/tutorials/2019/working-with-layers

Keith Spurlock

I second this.  Sometimes I want to add a photo that has people in the photo.  The AI corrections added changes makes their skin look horrid/harsh.  I need to be able to open them (or open as a plugin from other programs) just as they are, then I will mask out the people's skin and apply the HDR look I desire.   Skylum should add an option on the little "Create HDR from this image" window to the little gear icon to click on "Open original" or "Do not apply corrections", etc.  Of course this is for a single photo not a bunch of bracketed photos which require alignment.

I see Maryna's response about adding the photo manually as a New Image Layer.  I am assuming it does no AI corrections?  Can I delete the original file?  If not, can I click the disable icon to the side and save/apply without the original AI corrected file showing in the saved photo?  This work around is a time consuming and adds hours to your workflow when one is working with hundreds of photos.  A simple code write to add the option to "Do not apply corrections" would save hours of work and frustration.  Thank you for your consideration.

Please sign in to leave a comment.