Help!! Aurora 2019 crashed when it open the native HDR save file

Answered

Comments

68 comments

Denis Kotsee

Hi everyone - first of all, sorry for my late reply. I filed this issue with the QA team, we'll do our best to fix it in the next update for Aurora.

@Ryan Howrish email the support team via the form at the bottom of this page if you'd like to request a refund: http://skylum.com/support

Comment actions Permalink
    Lynn Peiffer

I experienced the same issue when I switched to a brand new laptop.
    Stefan's advice to switch to NVIDIA actually solved the issues for me.
    Thanks Stefan!

Ryan Howrish

Despite having auto-update turned on and manually checking for updates numerous times, the October 2018 windows update was never installed on my laptop or desktop.  After manually updating to the Oct 2018 version of windows, I'm now able to use Aurora.  I don't know what changed or what conflict was fixed but for now I'm able to use the software without doing anything different.

cyber il

@Denis Kotsee When the next update will be released pls?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Cyber il,

I don't have a release date for the next update quite yet. 

Lawrence Wong

Thank you everyone who support this thread and report the Aurora 2019 crashing issue here. My name is Lawrence, I opened this thread to report the software critical crashing problem since last October 2018.

At the time I reported the Aurora 2019 crashing bug to this forum and the support team, the supports keep telling me they don't have such problem on their end, asked me to check the .NET or reinstall the software, but apparently they didn't even try my test cases at the first place until I posted my steam video to show the exact software cashing problem:

https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/record_aurora2019_crash_issue.mp4

After I posted the steam video, the support, Anastasia, got back to me to say they have reproduced the software crashing issue. Be honest I am quite disappointed in the technical support, if they take 1 minute to open my test cases, I am positively sure they can totally reproduce the software crashing bug without 10+ emails back and forward.

Besides that, since the support Anastasia confirmed the Aurora 2019 crashing issue on October 12, 2018, ** 3 Months ** till now, this critical software crashing bug still not being fixed.   I spent $100+ on this software, but can't use it on my work due to this critical software crashing issue, it is unacceptable.

I strongly asking Skylum to issue the refund.

To Angela,

please don't take it personally, I appreciate every effort you have help us to report the user issue. I would strongly suggest you should really talk to the Skylum management team about this critical issue seriously!   3 MONTHS can't fix a software critical crashing bug, really? Its liked your new car has the engine issue but the vendor left you the problem car without any fixes in 3 months and you don't know when its going to be fixed or not. 

I am really disappointed in the Skylum support team, Angela, please talk to the Skylum Management team about this critical issue, it makes the Aurora 2019 useless. Thank you.

Regards,

Lawrence

cyber il

I agree with you, Lawrence.
    As a software developer, I know this kind of bug would not resist more than a week to me. It took me 2 hours to find out what was causing the bug (image rotation) and I think it's a bullshit to ask us to reinstall the .Net framework or other software or say that the bug can not be reproduced. I provided a very clear explanation for reproducing this bug and how to fix a saved file.
    I really think that nobody has never worked on it.
    Now, they say it is planned to solve this problem in the next update, but no date could be given, maybe next year?
    A software where you can not reopen a saved file is called a demo software. 100 € for a demonstration software, it's really too expensive.
    I love this software and I do not ask for a refund, I ask for this bug to be solved yesterday (or earlier) as it should be. 

Angela Andrieux

HI Lawrence,

I'm very sorry for the frustrating experience you've had with our support team. We can't issue refunds here on the forum but if you can request a refund by emailing support@skylum.com. Please be sure to include a link to this thread in your message.

Max Greco

Unfortunately, I have to agree with cyber il.

I spent a long time fine-tuning a multiple-shots image. I saved and when I tried to open my work, Aurora HDR crashed every single time. All my work was lost and I will never get back the time I spent.

Crashes that take place when one loads a native Aurora HDR file are inexcusable.

It's simple. Customers pay for software that works. Skylum has the moral, professional and, I suspect, legal obligation of providing what customers pay for.

The statement "it will be fixed before the next version" is simply not good enough. Personally, I'm happy to discuss the next version when it will be released. Right now, I am interested in the current version - the version I use. When a program cannot load its native file, a patch has to be released within hours or, at worse, days.

Surprisingly, Skylum doesn't look interested in projecting the image of a company with limited interest in users' priorities, time and money.

cyber il

this critical crash has been reported 5 months, and there is still no fix, not even a try. should we wait for the next major update and pay for it?

Max Greco

cyber il, at this point, it is a distinct possibility.

I cannot believe that in 5 months (roughly 100 working days) nobody managed to fix a problem like this. It should be at the very top of any possible activity. Far more important than releasing a new version of Luminar 3, for instance. With all its problems, Luminar didn't crash. Aurora HDR crashes when one opens a native file. Imagine what would happen if Microsoft Word crashed every time users open a document with a word in italic.

On a separate note, I edited the native file and, in my tests, I had to remove rotation and crop to avoid the crash. My wild guess, as a former software developer, is that there is a write access to a memory location outside the allocated memory space. Regardless how complex or easy the solution to the bug is, the fact that has not been fix yet is inexcusable.

Ard Jongsma

Thanks Lawrence Wong for bringing this up. I really want to like Skylum stuff, but I have on two trials on two different computers not been able to produce one single HDR. All images are D850 images, I tried with anything from one to four bracketed images, the computers are wildly different. The program crashes exactly where you indicate. In the past I would have started long-winded support threads. No longer so. I just need to work and this does not work.

Terry Rogers

Hi Ard. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

cyber il

Hi!
    Still no news 8 months later?
    I really enjoy this software, but this crash kills me!

@angela Andrieux:
    You said on 08 january 2019:
    "We don't have a specific date yet, but are anticipating early February."

We are in June.

Dmytro B.

@Cyber il - I am afraid there is still no ETA for the next Aurora HDR 2019 update, as we're currently extremely focused on Luminar 3 and its performance.

Ernest McCcreight

Hi, I have just read all of the comments on being unable to open files and having just spent some hours making HDR's of some holiday shots I find I can't open them . Not good tech support, let's get this fixed.

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

c ARNY

Is it just rotation and cropping of an image that cause the crash when trying to reopen the saved file? Or are there other alterations that cause the crash too?

Helena Carter

Hi, 

Indeed, the issue may occur after using Free Transform or Crop Tools and we are aware of this issue. Our developers are working to get it fixed. Still, there's no ETA yet as for now, but we will keep you updated.

However, we would suggest contacting our Support Team if you suspect that something else is causing it.

Best regards

cyber il

In fact, I Think that nobody works on it. nobody cares about Aurora.

Someone admitted a few days ago that everyone is focused on Luminar.

As a software developer for over 20 years, I can say that if someone was really working on it, the problem would have been solved in less than 7 days, but we've been talking about it for 9 months, and nothing happened!

The skylum team even announced a fix for February in this thread, then the comment disapeared later.

Lawrence Wong

Hi Angela,

Kindly check in with you to see if there is any updates for the crashing bug on Aurora HDR 2019? Its been almost a year since I posted this critical bug on October 2018 !

Due to this unstable crashing problem on Aurora HDR 2019, I can't put it to the real world usage since the day one I bought the software.  Can you please let me know if there is any updates for the software? Even the manual fix could help here, thank you.

Please let me know, thanks.

Best,

Lawrence

Angela Andrieux

Hi Lawrence,

Unfortunately there have not been any updates to Aurora HDR 2019. Please contact us at support@skylum.com so our techs can re-examine your case and see if a solution can be found. 

Clark Everson

I just submitted this bug with the video and all the logs. I am still in the return period. Now that I see this is an old bug that is critical to workflows yet still not resolved I may return the product. This is so unfortunate. I am trying all the fixes here I have found but so far everything on my system checks out. 

My specs

3900x AMD

Ryzen 5700XT 8gb

32GB RAM

2tb ssd

3tb HDD

So not my computer specs by any means

cyber il

This thread was opened 1 year ago.

we heard many things in this thread, many files were asked, many files were sent, a fix has even been planned for february, and nothing else but words ever came out

When will someone finally care about us and finally fix it?
    how many years should we wait?
    Do we have to pay two times (one for this release, one for the next release) to get a fully fonctionnal software?

Regards

Max Greco

Based on the posts so far, I think it is fair to assume that:

- "When will someone finally (...) fix it?"

Never.

- "how many years should we wait?"

My wild guess is more than one.

- "Do we have to pay two times (one for this release, one for the next release) to get a fully fonctionnal software?"

Yes. Providing of course that the next version will be bug-free.

Slylum can of course prove me wrong but so far, I think I'm right.

Olha Rowles

Hi,

I'm afraid for now there's no ETA for Aurora HDR 2019 update.

Max Greco

Helga,

I hope you realise that you have just proved my point.

Alan Gow

Can you give an update on when this will be fixed? (and I hope it is very soon) I am having the same problem and although I really like Aurora HDR, I don't like that I am saving files that Aurora then can't reopen. I don't save the bracketed files as well as the Aurora file so if I can't reopen, I can never re-edit and am forever stuck with my original edit and filesize, resolution etc.  It seems unacceptable that this has been ignored by the company.  

Joe Joe

this software is waste of time. Mine crashed without a warming. It just disappered with half an hour work

Helena Carter

Hi Joe,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help.

Please, note that profanity is prohibited on the Community Forum. We've edited your post, but in the future, due to the Community Rules, we warn you that you might be blocked.

Please sign in to leave a comment.