Help!! Aurora 2019 crashed when it open the native HDR save file

Comments

58 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi Lawrence! Thanks for the detailed description of the issue.

I have tested your files and it seems to work fine on my side (Stunning photo btw :))

Does the issue remain if you use 3 brackets instead of 4? 

Also, please ensure you have the optimal versions of Microsoft libraries installed.

If you get a message that Visual C++ is already installed, choose Repair and proceed. You might also have a newer version of NET Framework already installed, in this case, simply skip the NET Framework installation.

In case the issue remains, please send your system info to support@skylum.com

Information about your PC.

• Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type msinfo32 in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have System Summary highlighted on the left.
    • Click File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it and attach this text file to your reply to this email.

Make a reference to this post in your email.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Lawrence Wong

Hi Anastasia,

Thank you so much for getting back to me quick.

I have tried your suggestions, but no luck with it. 

1. NET Framework 4.7.2

--- I already have NET Framework 4.7.2 installed on my windows 10 before.

2. Download and install C++ 2013

--- When I install it, it said C++ 2013 already installed, so I click on the "Repair". After its done and restarted, the Aurora 2019 still crash at the same process which saying "Final Touches to make it awesome"

3. Download and install Visual C++ 2015

--- At the first begining, it won't let me install, it shows there is another version of Visuall C++ already installed. So I go check the App manager on Windows 10, there is a newer version which is Visual C++ 2017.

So I uninstall  Visual C++ 2017 and install the Visual C++ 2015 from the link in your reply. After restarted the laptop, the Aurora 2019 still stop working and crash at the same point.

In the next couple minutes, I will be sending you my system info to support@skylum.com

the email title I would say "System info of Lawrence HP latop"

Please kindly let me know if there is any I might have missed, thank you.

Best,

Lawrence

Lawrence Wong

Hi Anastasia,

I just run few more tests on my laptop and pc, they are both running Windows 10 Pro, same problem here.

If I open a save file created from 3 raw files, that is totally fine, no problem at all.

But if I open a save "auh" file created from 4 raw files, or even contains 5 raw files, it crash. The Aurora 2019 stop working at the same point of "Final Touches to make it awesome".

If the problem is causing by the Net framework or C++ library, it should be cashed whatever the save file contained 2 raw files or 3 raw files. But now the problem is only happened at the save file contained more than 3 raw files, probably the software developer may like to look it up further?

Thank you .

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Best,

Lawrence

Samuel Dai

Hi,

I am also having the same problem as described above.  

I downloaded the trial copy 3 days ago and for the 1st 2 days it worked fine.  However, starting yesterday, it keeps crashing.  

I even uninstalled and reinstalled Aurora 2019 without any luck.  In my case, I only uploaded 3 bracketed Nikon D850 raw photos (-2, 0, +2).  

Hopefully the problem can be solved ASAP so I can continue with the evaluation before deciding to buy or not to buy. 

Thanks & regards, 

Sam.  

Angela Andrieux

Hi Samuel,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with Aurora HDR 2019 crashing. We need to investigate this issue. Could you please send us more info to support@skylum.com?

First, we'll need your PC info:

• Type msinfo32 in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have System Summary highlighted on the left.
    • Click File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it

Second, could you please check if there's anything in the event log?

• Cause the issue to occur.
    • Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    • Click Application in the directory tree. 
    • In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    • Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    • Right-click on any of the two selected entries  and click Save Selected Events.
    • Name the file, save it, and either link to it in your pots, or paste the contents directly.

Finally, we would highly appreciate if you can send us your original file(s). You can upload the file to www.WeTransfer.com & send us a shared download link.

Please specify which steps preceded the crash so that we can reproduce this issue on our side.

Thank you in advance! We look forward to receiving your email.

Lawrence Wong

Hey folks,

I have spent all my weekend to dig in further of this Aurora 2019 crash problem, I think I may have nailed down the issue.

Firstly, I came up 32 test cases including different combinations liked: different photo size / raw & jpeg / different sets of photos / various layers / different filters, etc..

p.s. I really think Skylum should ask me to be a volunteer to test out the software before it launched, LoL

Then I wrote down the test results of these scenarios, soon enough I found there is a set of my test cases tell the problem.

You can also download my test cases below to see if you can duplicate my issue on your end.

Sources:  Sony A7III raw files

System: Windows 10 Professional ( on both pc and laptop )

2 brackets - DeGhost - ChromaticReduction - Auto Alignment - Crop the photo == Crash !! 

3brackets - DeGhost- ChromaticReduction - Auto Alignment - Crop the photo == Software hanging, no response! 

3brackets - ChromaticReduction - Auto Alignment - Crop the photo == Software hanging, no response! 

3brackets - Auto Alignment - Crop the photo == Pass.

3brackets - DeGhost - Auto Alignment - Crop the photo == Pass.

So these results show that importing the Sony RAW files into Aurora 2019, if you have enabled "Chromatic Reduction", then Crop the photo and save it to "auh" file. That file can't be open again.

But that only effects on my Sony A7III raw files, JPEG has no such problem.

If you are using Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, etc, please run the same tests on your raw files, let me know if you have the same problem.

Down below are my Aurora 2019 save files with "Chromatic Reduction" enabled, then crop the photo on my tests. All these save files can't be open again on my end.  Feel free to test them on your computer, please let me know if you have the same problem to open them:

https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06094-3brackets-ChromaticRed-Alignment-Crop.auh
    https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06094-3brackets-DeGhost-ChromaticRed-Alignment-Crop.auh
    https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06095-2brackets-DeGhost-ChromaticRed-Alignment-Crop.auh

-----------------

Below are 2 sets of my Sony A7III raw files for your testing:

https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06093.ARW
    https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06094.ARW
    https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06095.ARW

https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06126.ARW
    https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06127.ARW
    https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06128.ARW
    https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06129.ARW

-----------------

I totally understand there might be some glitches when a new product is launching, the Aurora 2019 is still a fantastic software to bring lots of great features to us.  Hope the developer team can check and fix the issue to make it perfect !

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Regards,

Lawrence

Lawrence Wong

The "Chromatic Reduction" feature conflicts with the photo Crop function can be found when you are importing files:

Denis Kotsee

@Lawrence Wong we're testing your brackets and project files. Could you please send us the event log?

• Cause the crash.
    • Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    • Click Application in the directory tree. 
    • In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    • Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    • Right-click on any of the two selected entries  and click Save Selected Events.
    • Name the file, save it, and send it to us.
    Lawrence Wong

Hi Denis,

Thank you for your time helping us to look into the Aurora 2019 problem.

I just run 2 test cases again which are:

2 brackets - DeGhost - ChromaticReduction - Auto Alignment - Crop the photo == Crash !!

Test case download:

https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06095-2brackets-DeGhost-ChromaticRed-Alignment-Crop.auh

3brackets - DeGhost- ChromaticReduction - Auto Alignment - Crop the photo == Software hanging, no response!

Test case download:

https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/DSC06094-3brackets-DeGhost-ChromaticRed-Alignment-Crop.auh

My system event error log can be found here:

https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/Aurora.2019.crash.system.event.log.zip

Please let me know if you any further info, thanks.

Lawrence

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for your cooperation!

Unfortunately, the page with your event log can't be found, could you please send it to us via 

https://wetransfer.com ?

Lawrence Wong

Hey Anna, sorry my bad, forgot to upload it to our data server.  

We have a policy that not allow sharing files outside our data server. I just uploaded the event logs to the server, you can download it now. Thank you.

https://www.phoenixwise.ca/upload/aurora-issue/Aurora.2019.crash.system.event.log.zip

Lawrence

Edward Velasco

Hello, is there any update on this?

I'm running Aurora 2019 on a desktop computer. Have some saved files from brackets of 9 RAWs of a Nikon, so I'm unable to continue editing them.

This is my computer if it helps:

Intel Core i7-4790K

20GB RAM DDR3

GeForce GTX1070 8GB GDDR5

SSD240GB

Lawrence Wong

Hey Edward, the project file crash problem still persists.

It was back and forward many times when I contact the technical supports, they haven't tried the project files I provided at the very beginning, only after I posted a screencast video that duplicates the crashing issue on Aurora 2019, then they admitted it is a bug of the software, and say they will fix this issue on next software update. But still has no timeline on this, don't know when will it be fixed.

Personally I find this issue ruins all my project files on Aurora 2019, although the software is great, but if I crop the "Chromatic Reduction" hdr project file, the whole software will be crashed. This problem definitely stops me using the software until its been fixed. 

p.s.  Looks like I found another software bug about using the brush mask. I will be posting what I found in the next few days.

I have a little disappointment about how the software QA team testing out the software before it officially launched.

Lawrence

Norman Tan

Hi Aurora team,

i thought i might add to this area as this also happens to me. Mine either crashes like what Lawrence experiences or what happens to me as well even if you do not select the CA removal but still use the crop tool, the file never opens and stays at the "Final touches to make it awesome". 

this is annoying as all the hard work is essentially lost. i do hope when they fix this bug that we can still open our troubled files.

for now ill just revert back to the 2018 version. 

Maryna Skylum

Hi Norman,

I'm sorry for the inconveniences.

We need some more information to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs, otherwise, it would be quite difficult to troubleshoot it.

Could you, please specify if you're a Windows or MacOS user?

Would you be so kind as to contact us at support@skylum.com and send us a detailed step-by-step description of what you do in the software before encountering the issue?
    Please, make your reference to this post in your e-mail.

Also, please send us the image file, so we can test it our side.

Here's how:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.

Thank you in advance.
    Carsten Krebs

Hi Aurora team,

I'm having the same issue. I'm using Aurora 2019 1.0.0 (5825) on a Mac OS 10.14. Trying to re-open a saved aurora file containing 7 brackets (DNG), let Aurora crash. So far, it only happens with these specific 7 bracket files. This happened once, then I started again from scratch editing these brackets, saved them and again - unfortunately - I was not able to open them anymore. Luckily this didn't happened to other brackets, but of course, this bug makes Aurora unusable as there is a high risk that all edits are lost at the end.

Best,

Carsten

Angela Andrieux

Hi Carsten,

I'm sorry to hear that!

We need some more information to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs.

Would you be so kind as to contact us at support@skylum.com and send us a detailed step-by-step description of what you do in the software before encountering the issue?
    Please, make your reference to this post in your e-mail.

Also, please send us the image file, so we can test it our side.

Here's how:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.

Thank you in advance.
    Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi!

I am sorry to hear that.

Could you please contact us at support@skylum.com with the thread and the detailed steps + files(please try to reproduce the issue before sending the steps to us)? 

We will be glad to assist you there. 

Denis Kotsee

Thank you for contacting support via email. We'll study your case and will get back to you as soon as there are any news.

David Boehm

I am also experiencing a similar problem.

When i attempt to load ANY file, it gets to the bit where is says "final touches to make it awesome" and the program just crashes. I have tried with JPGs and DNGs.

It was working just fine a couple of weeks ago. 

Windows 10 updated: no change.

Reboot: no change

Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear that! Were there any changes to your machine (new software, updates, changes to hardware configurations) that occurred since Aurora last worked properly?

David Boehm

There has been a photoshop and bridge update. quite possibly a windows update too.

Leila Evans

Have you tried the steps suggested above like updating Microsoft libraries? In case the issue persists, please, send us your hardware configuration (msinfo32), the steps and the file you were working with to support@skylum.com

David Boehm

ok so I will send you the error log and system summary via email.

but the error was an unhandled exception 

unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at <Module>.mipl.GLRenderer.UpdateTexture(UInt32, mipl.TextureFormat, UInt32, UInt32, UInt32, UInt32, Void*)

I have multiple .net C++ redistributables installed the latest being 2017 (but also have both 2013 and 2015)

I have run repair on the 2017 ones, but have to restart so will get back to you on results of that....

David Boehm

ok so restarted the machine and no difference. 

I sent you an email with the requested logs. I did send any image file because the fault occurs on literally every single image I have tried.

Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

Thanks for emailing us the logs. One of our reps will be in touch via email as soon as possible.

Maryna Skylum

Unfortunately, it might take us some time to investigate the issue. We request all the info in order to understand at which point the issue occurs, otherwise it is quite difficult to troubleshoot it.

I'm really sorry if it causes you any inconveniences.

Stefan Puffer

I'm experiencing the same issues.  Windows 10, second day on a brand new computer.  Everything was working fine yesterday but today Aurora HDR crashes at "Final touches...."  It doesn't matter which file a single jpg, three tiffs or a single tiff.  Also having the same problem with Aurora 2018.  The application just closes.  

Stefan Puffer

Okay, looks like I found the problem. I right clicked on the Aurora icon and saw that I could select which graphics process to run the application with.  The default was set to integrated GPU so I selected Nvidia instead and now it's working.

Ryan Howrish

I'm having the exact same issue where the software crashes when the software indicates "making final touches".  It doesn't matter if I used 1, 2, 3, or 5 JPEG or RAW files.  I have the exact same issue with Aurora 2018 now as well.  I've sent in my log files numerous times.  I've tried installing Visual C++ 2015 but get an error indicating I have a newer version already installed.  My .NET framework is up to date.  All windows updates are installed.  I'm running a 16GB Surface Book 2.

Is it possible to get a refund for the software until you're able to fix the problem?  I have yet to process an image with Aurora 2019 as it crashes every time I try.

Please sign in to leave a comment.