Cameras Supported by Aurora HDR 2019

Pinned Answered

Comments

56 comments

Shane Dias

Hi

I looked at your list and it appears that even the Nikon Z7 is not supported. So both my X-T3 and Z7 is not supported. Now what do you expect me to do as this product has been and remains unusable.

regards

Comment actions Permalink
    Margaret Bright

Hi everyone,

We completely understand your frustration. Please note that our team did not 'give up' on Aurora HDR and will continue supporting it. Since the latest update for Aurora has just been released, there's just no precise ETA yet on the release of the next one.

In the latest Aurora HDR update, we have included the most requested features, such as support for MacOS Catalina, support of Luminar 4 as a plugin, full support for Photoshop 2020, etc. But we are hearing your requests for the support of the new cameras and file formats, and I will forward them to our team once more to let them know that our artists still need this.

For now, if the RAW file format from your camera is not yet supported, we recommend you to install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Aurora).

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/

If you wish to get a refund, please get in touch with our support team via https://skylum.com/support and our team will assist you.

Stay safe and healthy!

Shane Dias

Hi Margaret

Thanks. It is just that Skylum should come clean and advise that you no longer will support HDR2019.  The statement that I have heard since I bought the software  "For now, if the RAW file format from your camera is not yet supported, we recommend you to install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Aurora)" is not valid anymore .  I am summing Skylum does not have the resources to develop two separate packages, so logically would integrate the HDR functionality in Luminar. Regards 

Margaret Bright

Hi Shane,

Integrating HDR functionality in Luminar is a great suggestion, which I will now forward to our team to consider implementing in the future. Thank you for sharing this idea!

chris Sargent

This 'solution' did seem to be intimated at by the CEO during the recent TWIP interview. No specifics discussed and no timeline mentioned.

WORKAROUND:

Viewers of this thread may be interested to know that a workaround (for owners of Luminar!) seems to work OK - I tested on Fuji X-T3 RAW images

• Open Luminar and Select the shot that you wish to use for your HDR
    • Select Edit -> Plugins -> Aurora HDR

The Plugin does not exhibit the color shift issues seen in the stand-alone application but it only appears to work for single images rather than creating a merged multi-image HDR (which is kind of the point) - Unless I am missing something?

Chris

Maurizio Loreti

Chris, I tried the suggested workaround from Luminar 4 with 3 Canon CR3 Images. The selection triggered an error "Could not find Aurora HDR 2018 on your computer" – indeed, I have 2019. And now?

chris Sargent

Maurizio Loreti - Have you updated Luminar to the latest version. 4.1.0 (5709) - I understand that the update addressed some issues with Plugins.

If you are running the latest version (of both applications) you might try uninstalling and re-installing Luminar. It should automatically include the Aurora HDR plugin and connect to the right version (2019)

If the above fails try contact Skylum Support, they are usually pretty good at coming back with help.

Margaret Bright

Hi Maurizio,

Could you please get in touch with our support team regarding the plugin issue? You can submit a request here: https://skylum.com/support

We would appreciate it if you could enclose a couple of screenshots that can illustrate the issue.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Maurizio Loreti

Luminar is 4.2.0 (6124). I tried, instead of Edit → Plugin, the menu File → Open In → Aurora HDR; and Aurora HDR 2019 opens with the initial screen showing the 3 files for HDR build. But clicking on the button "Create HDR" Aurore dies with a crash report; IMHO because doesn't grok the CR3 format. Margaret, I will report that to the support team, any way.

chris Sargent

Maurizio Loreti - Ahem, yes sorry I copied the wrong release version info.

The issue has always been in the open In feature. The Edit -> Plugin path worked better for me.. although I have not tested it extensively on multiple edits as yet.

I hope the support team are able to help

chris Sargent

The issue with the workaround is that it does not seem to work with multiple selected images. e.g. If you have 3 bracketed shots selected and opt to use the plugin route it will only work with one of the images rather than blend the three files.

Unless I am missing something?

Helena Carter

Chris,

Please, note that indeed, currently, it's not yet possible to send brackets from Luminar 4 to Aurora HDR. However, I will make sure to pass your feedback to our developers.

Shane Dias

Hi Margaret, A question: Even though the above list does not include the Nikon Z7, your list includes the Nikon D850. The sensors of both cameras have similar sensors from an image capture aspect. So can I use HDR2019 for raw files from the Z7? Shane 

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Shane Dias,

Even though those camera models are similar in several aspects, we would still suggest converting your RAW files to DNG in order to prevent any image misinterpreting or system discrepancies.

You can install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Aurora).

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/

Hopefully Nikon Z7 will be added in future updates. Thank you for bringing this up to our attention!

Shane Dias

Thats ok, using DNG or any such application is not an option for me as I dont have the time. The best raw processor for Nikon files is Nikon Capture NXD. It only coverts to Jpeg and Tiff. I use ON1 Raw , it converts to JPEG.  So that means having X-T3 and Z7 cameras HDR 2019 is unusable for me. 

Helga Hufflepuff

Shane Dias,

Just wanted to let you know that you can import and edit both TIFF and JPEG files in Aurora HDR as well.

Here is the link to file formats Aurora HDR supports:

https://skylum.com/aurorahdr/tutorials/2019/starting-with-aurora-hdr-2019

Thanks!

Shane Dias

Thats not accurate:

1. A JPEG file is a stripped down version of the camera raw file, in-camera or via software and is 8 bits. It does not make sense  to use a file with compressed dynamic range and then again convert to a HDR image using a HDR application.

2.. The TIFF file theoretically can be done, but when you save the 14 bit raw file from the Nikon Z7 which is a 60MB file as a 16 bit TIFF file, I end up with a file that is 350 MB!

So, using a TIFF file is possible but time consuming and not practical.

Shane Dias

I did check this, yes HDR2019 can open a Nikon Z7 tiff file. The tiff file was 360 MB and takes quite a while to save in Capture NXD. HDR then takes a long time to open the tiff file. The "natural" effect HDR was accurate and good. When saving this processed file as a JPEG in HDR2019 results in a 64MB JPEG file.

So at the best for Nikon camera owners you need to recommend using Nikon Capture NXD to convert to TIFF 16bit and then use these files with HDR2019. 

Victoria Grace

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the hint and ideas on how to optimize the Aurora HDR performance!

It appears your software still has a long way to go.  I’ll be using other software til you fix it.  I’ll check back next year.

Taylor Wilkes

What an absolute joke of a company. 2 years since the CR3 file has been released by Canon with all new cameras from Canon using it and yet Skylum can’t bother themselves with updating their HDR. I saw a reply somewhere saying how much more difficult it is for them to add support in Aurora yet Adobe finds a way to support new formats within days. I have purchased 6 or 7 pieces of software from Skylum over the years and this will be my last purchase from them. I will never purchase a piece of Skylum software again.

Your solution of using Adobe DNG converter is an absolute joke. You’re telling us to use a competitors tool just to use your own software.

Bo Hjortstrand

Skylum, honestly you sell and charge 99€ for a product that doesn’t support any camera coming to market for the past 2 years, please take your product of the market or update the product to support the cameras your customers use. When is support for Nikon Z7 coming?

Matthew Perry

I have to chime in with the upset customers posting here. Its taking way too long for camera body updates, inexcusable for the cost of the product when other companies come out with monthly updates.

It has forced me to move to a competitor product, as I dont have time to add multiple additional steps to my workflows.

Maurizio Loreti

Matthew, exactly as I did. I tried EasyHDR and HDRtist, then I stayed with Canon Digital Photo Professional. DPP is available at no fee for Canon users and does a very very good job on RAW CR3 files.

It is inexusable. I will just get the Adobe bundle. Skylum is coming out every year with "great" updates for their products and asks for roundabout 99$. Adobe is a bit more, but comes with Photoshop. And Lightroom does HDRs. So screw this company. They do not care about their users at all.

haney haney

Indeed, it turns out great with Luminar 4. Much thanks to you for the response. cr3 was delivered in 2018. Not refreshing appears to be lethargic - or avaricious in the event that they discharge it just in a redesign.

Please sign in to leave a comment.