Alignment in Aurora 2019

Answered

Comments

45 comments

Guy Kimola

Same alignment problem here with 2019, tried a few different ones that align fine in 2018 and 2017. Tried your trick of adding de-ghosting and it worked but the images still weren't as crisp as with the older versions.

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Guy,

I'm glad the deghosting workaround helped, but sorry to hear that the alignment isn't working properly for you. Would you mind sending us an example of bracketed images that you're having trouble with to support@skylum.com and referencing this thread?

If the images are too large to email you can use WeTransfer.com.

HOW TO USE WETRANSFER

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your email.

Thank you in advance!

Guy Kimola

Done.

Rip Smith

I have noticed some severe problems with auto alignment and Aurora 2019. I've assembled some split screens showing the mis-alignment in Aurora 2019 and single images displayed in either Photoshop or Lightroom.

Not sure what's going on. I think I've done them right. In two cases I opened the the three bracketed files out of Adobe Bridge. The last one via the export to Aurora 2019 in Lightroom CC Classic.

The second screenshot includes the same images opened with Aurora 2018. That is much better although it still looks a bit soft to me. I am a fan of Skylum's products and I am curious about what reaction there might be to these.

Denis Kotsee

Have you turned on the Auto Alignment checkbox in the import dialog? Your shots looks like they were taken with a handheld, alignment should fix the blur.

Rip Smith

Yes. I even went back and did them again to make sure. They are hand held.

Brad Ashbrook

I am sure he did, he has been using the product at least since 2018.

I am having the exact same problem with severe alignment issues.

Daniel Scholz

Could you please send us your brackets? We'll try to reproduce the same issue on our side and try to resolve it. Our email: support@skylum.com

I would recommend using wetransfer.com to send the files.

Rip Smith

@Daniel Scholz: the files are on the way via wetransfer.com. I sent only one set with the merged files from Aurora 2019 and 2018.

For others who are interested, the effect does not happen with every bracket set. Merging with Aurora 2018 works OK.

Daniel Scholz

@Rip Smith, we'll reply back via email. our technical department is now going to investigate this particular problem. 

Rip Smith

I received email from Support suggesting:

"Please try tick also Chromatic Aberration Reduction, Ghost Reduction with Color Denoise and Alignment." Seemed like a kind of boilerplate response that doesn't really address the problem but it does seem to be a usable workaround.

I wouldn't normally check these things unless I had obvious movement within the frame, such as tree branches or a waving flag. Normally in my experience I find that auto alignment is good enough for compensating for slight camera movement with hand-held brackets. I have not found CA to be a problem in the past.

I tried it with only Ghost Reduction (medium), Only Chromatic Aberration Reduction, and both. In all cases I had Color Denoise and Alignment checked.

In all cases the merge seemed to me to be clean so therefore a usable workaround.

it is curious, however,  that the problem with alignment does not occur with the older version of the software (Aurora 2018).

In any event, I will work with it in combination with Luminar and Photolemur and find the most comfortable workflow. All in all, I think the software is very good, and I expect that we'll see some updates in the near future.

Leo Wilson

Is there any news on this?  I'm having big alignment problems too.  I've got A18 installed and that can align the bracket sets just fine.  I even tried combining the set in A18, saving as an *.mpaur2 file and then opening that in A19.  The images are aligned just fine in A18 but when i open the mpaur2 file in A19 the alignment has gone.

I can provide examples if you want, but am assuming that you've been able to replicate the problem with those already sent.

I'm seeing this on the Mac and Windows versions of A19.

Anastasia Davis

@Leo Wilson Our tech department is working on a fix for alignment. As we mentioned, it will available in the next updates.
    Your case would be useful for us to see the core of the problem as well. Please send us the following items:

The files you were working with, so that we could test it on our side.

Here's how you can send us the file:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.

A detailed step-by-step description of the steps you perform in the software that cause the issue to occur.

If possible, please make sure that your steps produce the same issue each time they are repeated. We need to be able to reproduce the issue to understand at which point it occurs.

Send the link to the files and the info to support@skylum.com with reference to this post.

Thanks for the cooperation!

Alec Dann

What happened to the update.  This thread ended six months ago and Aurora HDR 19 is still on 1.0.0.  Lightroom doesnt have the same alignment problem Aurora HDR 19 does.  

And if there are import settings, it would be nice if there was a preference of some kind to apply them to plug-in work with LR.

Brad Ashbrook

The previous version doesn’t have these problems.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Alec and Brad, 

We are still working on the update but for now, there is no ETA. 

Hope for your patience and understanding. 

Alec Dann

Ok, I'll start using Aurora HDR again when you fix it.

David Sutton

For what it is worth, I have been using Aurora since it's beta days. And have been bracketing and shooting HDR for many many years before that.  I absolutely concur that the align images in Aurora is no where near where I need it to be for handheld images.  Sometimes de-ghosting helps, but it affects image sharpness and has other side effects.  

Heck almost any of my other HDR packages do a better job, and did a better a long time ago TBH.

Please get this improved and don't force us to wait for Aurora 2020 :)

Dan TheMan

I bought Aurora HDR 2018 last year. It didn't take long to find out that Aurora HDR's photo-merging alignment issues are a horrible nuisance! There is always ghosting, no matter what check boxes I click. I abandoned trying to merge bracketed shots using this product. The same photos overlay perfectly crisp and clear using merge in other post-prod products... but not this one. 

Anastasia Davis

Hi Dan! Did you try Aurora HDR 2019? If you have some particular issues, please reach us here wit the images you have problems with: https://skylum.com/support

Brad Ashbrook

Anastasia, little confused. There are numerous people having issues with alignment on the Mac. 2019 is not usable, I’m still using 2018 even though I purchased 2019.

Do you still need examples?

Helena Carter

Brad,

Could you please specify if you're facing issues with Aurora HDR 2019 or Aurora HDR 2018? Anyway, please, make sure to report them to our Support Team via the contact form, it would be way more productive to address these issues via email so we could track our communication in a more convenient way.

Brad Ashbrook

2019, I did shortly after purchasing the upgrade when it was released. Do I need to again?

Helena Carter

Brad,

No you won't, could you please specify if the issues you were referring to are related to Aurora HDR 2019 or Aurora HDR 2018?

Brad Ashbrook

Just to join this thread. Have been using Aurora HDR for a long time with HDR 2018 and am finding that most of my photo brackets never align properly now that I have upgraded to 2019.

I use a Fujjifilm x-h1, shooting raw images and these always came out great in 2018. 

in 2019 there is always a problem with alignment that either affects the whole image or the mid and backgrounds.

All shots always handheld using a 5 shot bracket. 

I realise that there can be drift over the 5 shots etc which would cause issues if not aligned but have been using the software for a long time and have been very happy, until now!

2019:

2018:

Angela Andrieux

Hi Wildyam,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll look into the issue.

Toshiyuki Oshiki

Hello, 

The alignment issue does NOT appear always on my PC (Mac OS) Aurora HDR 2019.  I have been used the Aurora from 2017, I found the issue several weeks ago.  I checked my older photos created by the Aurora HDR 2019, I couldn't find deviations.  I hope the team to solve the problem in the next version.

Michele Galli

Ciao, ho anche problemi con l'allineamento ...
    cosa facciamo?

Michele Galli

Ciao, anche io ho problemi con l'allineamento ...
    cosa facciamo?

Post is closed for comments.