Color management still not working in case you are wondering

Comments

41 comments

Daniel Scholz

@Jeffrey, are you referring to Luminar 2018 for Windows? Please make sure that your monitor is calibrated. Luminar 2018 by default uses Melissa RGB colorspace.

Comment actions Permalink
    Rico Körner

Well, luminar has really no color management on Windows. Therefore, colors looks different. The colors in luminar are wrong and an calibrated monitor only help, if luminar has color management. Actually luminar ignores all calibration, all profiles for the monitor.
    In this thread, skylum states, that there is no color management and there are no plans to add it soon
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360004002991-Please-add-color-management-after-1-2-

Jeffrey Smith

I've read through all of the threads.

Someone also posted that the newest release offered color management. So, the response from Daniel Scholz is that Luminar is using "Melissa". Ok. I guess if you are a programmer, you know what that is. Google offered that it is a form of the Adobe color space that is used internally by Lightroom. Ok.

When an image is processed with Luminar and exported, is the program interpreting "Melissa" to SRGB or Adobe color space? Apparently not.

Do I now have to install "Melissa" color profile into my host editor and hope that it converts correctly to the other profiles?

Or, is it as RicoK states "luminar ignores all calibration, all profiles for the monitor." and therefore, the colors will never be what we see?

Leila Evans

As Daniel said before, our apps use Melissa RGB, so whenever you send an image from LR or PS to our app, it gets converted to another color profile. The conversion process isn't perfect, so this is why there might be differences in how the same image looks in different apps. We're aware of these differences, and our developers are working on making them as minimal as possible.

Darren Jones

I'm using a calibrated Adobe RGB monitor, editing alike and using both (paid) Luminar and Aurora plugins for Photoshop.

Interestingly, Aurora looks correct!

Luminar looks like a dozen too many drinks being highly saturated sRGB? While applying the edits essentially work and look right, trying to edit is pretty much a nightmare. Hope a fix is a priority on the dev side. 

FYI article on using MelissaRGB here http://www.colourspace.xyz/the-truth-about-lightroom-colour-management/ 

and for Photoshop https://www.color-management-guide.com/color-settings-photoshop.html 

Rico Körner

Maybe there are some misunderstanding about "color management"? The working color space (Melissa) is not the problem for me and many others. The problem is, that luminar shows colors wrong and every color tweaks are nearly impossible, becouse i do not see, what the results would be. I try to explain:

Luminar opens an image and this image has a color space. Than luminar converts the colors to the working color space (Melissa) and all tweaking are done in this, big space to prevent color clipping. For export luminar converts the colors again in an color space for the exported image (sRGB for example). This is all right. But this is not color management. 

Luminar not only work with pictures internally, it shows the actual picture on the monitor. And for this, luminar has to convert every color to the "monitor color space" and this is the problem. Luminar seams not to use the calibration date and profile for the monitor. Maybe luminar uses sRGB every time as display color space (?).

With an standard display (not able to display more than sRGB), this is ok but with an really good monitor, able to display far more color, this is an problem. An really good processed looking picture in luminar looks wrong after export. An really good processed picture in an program with color management, looks nearly exact the same after export.

My pictures in lightroom looks exact the same after export and shown in PS / Affinity / ON1 / Chrome / ... But the picture imported in luminar looks wrong on my monitor  (to saturarted reds, for example). Tweaked in luminar and exported again, the picture looks wrong in every other program (dull reds in this example).

So I've to stay with other programs for now.

But if color management works as expected, i will be happy to use this software.

Jeffrey Smith

RicoK, I followed your explanation. I wish my images retained the saturation! I don't really care about what color space the program uses internally, I do care about the finished product. I export tiffs to Photoshop to use Nik plugins and the end result is exactly what I saw regardless of the display program. What was appealing about Luminar to me was the ability to use layers, more evolved plugins, a development module that worked on tiffs, and, not having to deal with a subscription. 

Darren Jones, I am not interested in using either Lightroom, Photoshop or Luminar as a front end. I use DXO Photolabs and Capture One for that.  DXO Prime Noise Reduction is superior to everything else I have tried. I shoot theatre, choral,and more traditional music events.Noise reduction is important to me.

I export as tiff with adobe color space, process in Luminar (I do really like their plugins) and export in Adobe on an Asus PA279 monitor that is calibrated. I run in conjunction with that, a Dell XPS 15 with a 4k Adobe capable display. Also calibrated. My expectation is that when re-opened in Capture One or DXO as the finished file, is that it should have the same colors I was happy enough with in Luminar. 

Even the JPEGS do not display the same color! The color depth is gone. Blues from sunlight on dark coats are now gray, the richness of reddish/magenta tones disappears. Its like looking at an image on a wide gamut display and looking at that image on a 100 dollar monitor.

I just don't see how people like me are supposed to use this program. 

K.G. Wuensch

Nice of you to remove a lengthy explanation what color management is... Censorship is running rampant here!

Robert Golub

I agree. Good potential but not usable in current form. Other programs like On 1 have no issues with this. I won’t be buying the HDR product either. 

Angela Andrieux

@K.G. Wuensch - You post was removed because it violated this section of our Community Guidelines:

**INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR**
    Disrespectful behavior will not be permitted and will result in removal from the community.

You are welcome to voice your frustrations about our software and company, but please refrain from singling out our support representatives and treating them disrespectfully. I know we do not always have the answers you are looking for, but we are genuinely trying to help.

You can read our Community Guidelines in full here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360002269211-Community-Guidelines
    K.G. Wuensch

@Angela, then maybe it's time for you to educate your support staff what color management means and how it's used - because all statements given by any of you recently have been inaccurate or showing a total lack of understanding what color management is and why it's imperative to an image editor. Again an image editor is worthless without color management - and a DAM without color management is outright dangerous as it endangers any culling or selection processes (discarding images on the basis of false display is a concrete danger)...

Vinod Kalathil

This is really sad that customers have to try and educate a company that is building a so called professional photo editing software on what color management is. If they can't get this basic concept right, they should not be in this business at all. Like many people here, I am very frustrated with the oversaturated and misrepresented colors. I have a professionally calibrated 4K monitor and it is very clear that Luminar does not get the colors correct.

Conceptually, they have built a software that is very easy to use with the layers. However, it is completely lacking in fundamentals. I don't think it's worth any of our time belabouring this point when the company does not think it's an issue. There are enough professional software out there that provides better results. I will stick to them for now except for cases where I'm looking for unrealistic looking images.

ibon zabala

I think the same thing happens to me. an image that looks the same in the windows viewer as in lightroom as in photoshop, in luminar it looks darker, more contrasted .... I have windows. What I can do?

K.G. Wuensch

@Ibon, the only thing you can do is not to use Luminar. It's totally useless when you want to use anything else but sRGB. So your monitor better has hardware calibration (on the monitor side) and can display 100% sRGB after calibration. Else you are going to get problems editing your images.

Timothy Burgess

I concur that neither Skylum nor Photolemur on Windows recognises Monitor Color Profiles (or at least with my setup).

So basically it doesn't work for image correction as what you see on screen is not actually what is going on.

A very simple test:
    Open an image in Lightroom/Photoshop on a color calibrated monitor
    Open the same image in Luminar. Luminar looks completely different (& usually way way overly vibrant).

Which is super disappointing on many fronts.

Not sure if this is a version specific fail or is across the board but it seems amazing that this issue exists in a tool that is being marketed as a LR replacement.

Please fix.
    Can't buy (or edit images) without this.

Chris Bateman

I shared this in another thread, but for those with Photoshop, this workaround seems to work for me. Hopefully it also helps to explain what's going wrong:

1. Open your Luminar-exported image in Photoshop
    2. Go to Edit > Assign Profile, and choose your default system profile
    3. You should see the image update to look like it did in Luminar
    4. Go to Edit > Convert to Profile and switch it back to sRGB (or whatever you wanted)
    5. Save!

Timothy Burgess

Hi Chris,

This isn't the issue & misses the point.

The software does not display, through the software itself, correct colours as it does not recognise Monitor Profiles within Windows.

So any editing within the software is pointless rendering the software itself pointless until this is resolved.

ibon zabala

Thank you Chris but i think Timothy is right.
    The first adjustments are made in photoshop (or lightroom) and in luminar the final adjustments. And it is when they are exported to luminar when the colors change.
    Without trying it, I ask:
    In photoshop, before going to luminar, could you assign sRGB profile and pass it then?

K.G. Wuensch

@Chris, two wrong unfortunately don't make one right. Whatever Luminar exports is way off regarding to what the user saw in Luminar while editing. Only if all components are as close to sRGB as they can be Luminar is showing what you will get. And since image editing the the one thing that requires WISIWYG it's completely useless...

Chris Bateman

Tim - all I really know is that the above process corrects my images to look like they did when I was editing them in Luminar.

Chris Bateman

@ibon - let me clarify what I’m doing:

• Open raw file in Luminar, edit and get the colors how I want them
    • Export from Luminar with sRGB
    • The image now looks as expected in non-color-managed apps (like Luminar, Windows Photos, and Microsoft Edge). The image does not look as expected in color-managed apps (like Chrome, Firefox, Windows Photo Viewer, Picasa Photo Viewer, Photoshop, and mobile apps like Instagram).
    • Open in Photoshop, assign my monitor profile, convert back to sRGB, save
    • Now (in color-managed apps) it looks like it did while I was editing in Luminar

@K.G. I’m not defending Luminar at all! It’s a major pain that I have to do this.

K.G. Wuensch

@Ibon, no that will not solve the problem. It‘s the total inability of Luminar to show correct colors because it is not converting it‘s output to the monitor color space that throws the whole process useless. And converting to and from the monitor profile as suggested by Chris is going to massively destroy the image quality. Fact is, as long as Luminar doesn‘t get color management it‘s not fit for the purpose of image editing nor image preview - so the DAM will be totally useless too. 

Rolf Eriksen

I will just say thank you to you guys in here fighting for all of us Windows users frustrated with this problem!
    I tried long ago to send a mail to support at skylum, but as others also have described - I did never get any feedback. 

I had completly stopped using the software until I was tempted after seeing the new sky enhancement - but quickly found that color still is uslessly wrong....

Skylum - please fix - your product simply does not work!

Daniel Scholz

@Rolf - Our support team answers every single email request without exceptions. If you didn't get a reply, then there is a chance that this email ended up in your spam folder or our email address is blocked by your email client/provider. I really apologize if you didn't hear back from us!

We're aware about the problem with color management and we'll try to fix it in the future updates.

Vinod Kalathil

Completely agree with your comment @Rolf Eriksen. For some reason, Skylum seems to be focused on gimmicky enhancements rather than fundamental updates that can support professional work. I was very excited when Luminar was released for the PC, but have not been happy with the direction of the software. I still use Luminar quite a bit, but only for some final local enhancements. I don't trust the overblown colors I see on Luminar

Rolf Eriksen

@Daniel Scholz - I'm not in here to start an argument, but I can not help but to find it, for the lack of a better word - arrogant, that you do not seem to belive your customers, by saing "You must check your spam fiter" so often. I have seen you use this comment quite often. If it is a true fact, maby you as a professional partner should consider what content you add to your outgoing mail, if that is really a issue for so many of your customers? We are here for your, or was it the other way around....? 

I do in fact belive I am able to run a mail-box - and I am quite sure I never got any reply. But I'll happily live with that if you do actually fix my Windows application I have purchased from you!

So my suggestion is that you actually tell us your plan on when to fix and commit to it.

/R

Denis Kotsee

Sorry if you were offended by our suggestion to check your spam folder. This is the most common reason people don't receive emails - not just from us but from any company or individual. Not mentioning that would be very much irresponsible of us, but that's just my opinion.

We'll add color management to the windows version in one of the updates for Luminar 3. It won't be included in the initial release.

K.G. Wuensch

@Denis, then you better start wearing asbestos underwear. If any of your customers lose images because of the flawed display leading them to cull incorrectly (which may happen on MacOS as well despite the. olor management because sharpness can be shown misleading due to the idiotic automatic noise reduction at the behest if an uncontrollable noise detection) then you will be inunated by claims for compensation. I don’t think you’ll get the time to remedy the fundamental flaws due to the premature release of the DAM (late as it may be, releasing it with such flaws is premature)!

Lobbo Kelly

Luminar is my favourite editing software after Nik, but the only problem is that LUMINAR DOES NOT WORK. SKYLUM HAVE FAILED MISERABLY at the most simple of basic bread and butter tasks, like represent colors correctly!!!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Lobbo,

I'm very sorry that Luminar isn't working out well for you. Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.