Comments

7 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi James,

The Luminar Library will not have a migration tool in the initial release, but we will likely add one in the future.

Comment actions Permalink
    Ross Collins

Uh-oh - first strike to OnOne!  This isn't good news.  The comment appears to be code for the need for users to pay to get migration capability in Luminar later.  However it begs the question as to what the the technical challenges have been in getting the "initial release" of DAM capability, or perhaps there are legal/intellectual property issues complicating delivery of a LR migration tool, and still with up to a further three months to wait.  I'm a believer and I'm still hopeful Skylum will deliver a best-in-class DAM capability, but my optimism has taken a knock. 

Daniel Scholz

@Ross, as we promised in our blog post, we're going to provide all our Luminar 2018 customers with free updates throughout the whole next year.

James Ormiston

Thank you Angela, I hope it will come sooner rather than later, I’ve been waiting on the DAM in anticipation as I want to fully move from Lightroom 

Ken Andrews

An import tool, while nice, would have to support the existing edits (non-destructive) from LR or any other system.  I plan on exporting my "4 and 5 star images" with edits to preserve that work.  The underlying structure of my library source (year/month/date/individual file name) should be able to be read easily by Luminar as original files.  This will give me the opportunity to take a fresh look at favorite images and reprocess (if desired) in Luminar. At least that's how I'm planning on it. 

Rembert Oldenboom

I have over 40.000 photos, both RAWs and JPEGs, in my Lightroom library which I need to move over, including all edits. Somehow I was under the impression the Luminar DAM would include an import tool, guess as a Lightroom plugin allowing to move over the images to the Luminar DAM. But the note from Alexandra worries me. How long to wait for the LR import option? I bought Luminar in november 2017, have been waiting for the DAM since - not using Luminar, I'm still with Lightroom and paying them every month again.

As soon as I find some time I will definitely take a look at the competition. But maybe Skylum will surprises me even sooner.

Bob Rockefeller

For me, importing a Lightroom catalog is much less important than importing .xmp sidecar file data. I moved from Lightroom to Capture One quite a while ago; the metadata in the .xmp files is what I really want anyway.

Please sign in to leave a comment.