New Luminar with Libraries, No Paid Upgrades, and MORE!

Pinned Featured

Comments

161 comments

Roman Augustyn

@K.G.

Well, I'm not aware of any strict rule that the image's previews have to be equal size, who cares? as long as the previews provide us with the functionality we need.

And you actually don't know, maybe the system will give you an option to make the previews equal or variable size so calling it "idiotic" is a bit presumptuous on your part. Lets be positive and first see what features are coming and then we constructively comment on them.... just a thought.

Tom Pickering

Angela -

No migration tool from Lightroom!  Are you serious?  What's the point, then?

Sascha Picchiantano

I am not sure whether I should laugh or cry about this... but this last comment of Nastia confirms the worst concerns that many are having about the DAM. If one of THE most basic and THE most important feature of a DAM - namely keywords - isn't included in this initial release, people better get used to the fact that this piece of software will be nothing more than a glorified, overpriced picture browser that won't even be close to being a DAM for years to come. Mark my words.

Nancy Goodenough

I am delighted you are doing things to bring those who left Luminar in frustration back to the fold. I am Mac, so have been happy with each upgrade and use Luminar and Aurora regularly. Looking forward to your DAM/Libraries. I know it's too early to tell me, yet I want to know if I can import images from a card and choose to have them DEFAULT to folders (or whatever you call them) BY DATE, and the ability to rename that folder so I can add location(s) to the dated folder name. Like LR. I have half a million images in LR, so need to keep certain conventions. Thanks for listening. And thanks for bringing this out soon. Nancy

Colin Grant

The DAM in LR is not called library the library is but one element of LR. The same goes for CaptureOne et al. What people are asking is will the functionality of the Skylum version be anywhere near that of LR, as was promised at the outset. The answer to that is probably no because every time a question is asked, like mine re EXIF editing, they say they cannot answer that question at present.

And of course you overlook the fact that Skylum called the thing a DAM in the first place and have retreated to Library recently. That suggests an attempt to water-down expectations. I suspect all this speak about speed is also just a smoke screen - how fast do you really need to go!

So indeed yes - where is the LR equivalent that was promised.

Colin Grant

If the above is reference to key wording, Nastia, then it conflicts with Denis Kotsee (see above) who says keywording will be there. How can you expect people to pre order when there appears to be great difficulty in identifying exactly what the specs are,

Nastia Davis

@Colin @Manfred We are the part of Skylum and do have all the info from devs. We are aware of everything that is happening in the company, thus can provide you with a relevant info. This way, I can confirm that the release date is December 18.

Christoph Haug

As many others have noted, the UI is a huge disappointment (based on the speed text video) and the delay isn't great either, but I have to say that the decision regarding the free upgrades is fair. I interpret it as a sign that management is aware of the huge discontent that has been building up and that has been further fuelled by the disappointing UI video a few days ago. 

But if you want to make Luminar the success that you've been suggesting it will be, I think you still need to get much better in listening to and interacting with the community, especially when it comes to crucial decisions such as UI design. These can no longer be made by designers behind closed doors. See https://ideamotive.co/blog/design-thinking-in-software-development/ 

Tom Murray

Looks a bit different here with al the photos the same dimensions.

Brian Ramage

I guess the reason for not having a migration for other DAMs is you want to encourage people to use the new DAM like a soft launch. Enter a few photos at a time and heck out the new DAM.

If you encourage a mass migration you’d undoubtedly have many issues and complaining customers who wonder WHY the image from Lightroom doesn’t have the exact tags or post processing like in their former DAM.

Waiting a few weeks (probably months seeing how Skylum works) then releasing migration tools allows other DAM bugs to be worked out.

Also, would you really want to quickly dump your photos into a brand new DAM? Either you duplicate and try or have issues with conflict.

I know when I jumped to Aperture I did not pull all iPhoto photos into it. Instead I started fresh and check how things go.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

We will have to wait and see what luminar libraries provides.

But I am not liking the news about it, it seems it is going to be just a browser.

They did not only promised that it would have a way to import photos from Lightroom

They promised they were able to read the Lightroom catalog, that is quite more advance than just importing photos.

Now it is not clear if there is going to be some kind of catalog.

Jennifer Wolf

For all the complainers that are freaking out about "libraries" and "where is our DAM you promised".....

What is the DAM called in Lightroom...Libraries.

What is it called in Aperture...Libraries.

What is it called in Capture One...Libraries.

What is it called in On1 .... Browse.  (There's one in every crowd, right?)

The point is no one calls it a DAM.  It is implied.

They have only released a couple screen shots and short videos, how are people reaching all these conclusions on what it can and can't do from those?

As for transferring photos from LR after the mess that Adobe made of their migration tool from Aperture to LR and then LR deciding after a couple years that my hard drive has a different name than it actually does, I have to start from scratch anyway.  

Tony Collins

The library module in lighroom *is* where you manage your digital assets. And there was NO promise about what the functionality of the DAM would be - certainly not that it would be the same as LR. There was no LR equivalent promised. What was offered was an alternative.

Tomasz Kowalka

I bought the program, but without color management it is useless. The cms implementation should be a priority for the pc version. Photos after opening are oversaturated. You can not work professionally without the correct display of colors

Angela Andrieux

It looks like a bit of clarification is in order here:

Keywords will be included in the Luminar Library in future updates.

Sorry for the confusion!

Colin Grant

Yet you feel it is appropriate to offer the product for sale in advance? ON1 are doing that but have announced the specs. I ask, have Skylum learned anything?

Sascha Picchiantano

@Francis,

with all due respect and with as much passion I am bashing Skylum all the time myself, but bringing in a piece of software that has been dead for almost 5 years now and expecting a new software to have an importer for this just isn't fair at all. If you are still trapped in the Aperture ecosystem that is your fault, and your fault alone. You had enough time and opportunity to get out. You can't expect other software companies to provide a solution for a piece of software that was shut down 5 years ago. It would be a total waste of money and resources. 

Am I happy that Luminar doesn't have any catalog importers at all? No. But expecting one for Aperture is ridiculous. 

Denis Kotsee

We will be posting more details, news, and updates in the new section on our website mentioned in the post. Email us at support@skylum.com and we'll add your email to the list of candidates for the beta.

John Tweddell

That’s good news. It has been frustrating, but giving us a year without a paid upgrade is great for people like me on a limited budget ( 50 plus years as a professional photographer, but now 76, retired on a small pension, but still devoted to photography) I started with a 5by4 “speed graphic” hand held camera, through to early digital adopter. I still use Apple Aperture but desperate to change to your new DAM. If you are looking for more beta testers, I am in!

Colin Grant

That is excellent news. I just cannot believe you did not take this more open approach ages ago. I took a refund on Luminar because you did not deliver. This is far more promising and I am temped to come back into the fold. It is not an easy decision as there have new many broken promises in the past. I have always believed the software had promise, it was the other things that got me.....and many, many others.

Could you answer one question on functionality - will it provide full exif/IPTC editing, including tagging and location mapping? If so I'm probably back in.

Brian Ramage

another Aperture user! ...hooray

as for the "standard sizing" I guess that comes from years ago with negatives and contact sheets. as someone looking over a series of similar shots, a quick scan of ALL the same size makes no image stand out purely on size relative to others (possibly showing more light even if the exact same exposure/lighting but a larger image shows more light coming through)

I could see AI being used as you are editing a set of photos and it picks up on how you are editing a scene/photoshoot and adjusts the rest to a similar style. I know not every adjustment would follow through but perhaps the White Balance Temp would adjust on the fly, or exposure as it sees you are post processing a few at a similar style. (sure you could Copy & Paste but maybe you didn't). BUT just saying "AI Filter" really doesn't explain much. I know in the beginning I would use presets and then "decode" what they were doing and how/why the photo adjusted with each setting.

Colin Grant

Not a lot has changed then has it! You are sharing nothing but trying it seems to generate revenue by offering a reduced price.......but for what. Seems no more than a glorified image browser. Sorry if I sound suspicious but there is not a lot there to give one faith in Skylum, especially given your track history. Where is the road map or what hope is there when at this late stage you cannot answer a question on basic functionality such as EXIF? 

Jennifer Wolf

As someone who's first DAM was Aperture I'm excited to see similarities.  I've continually struggled to work with any other DAM having been spoiled it seems by the functionality and customizability that Aperture provided, especially regarding import options.  Capture One 11 comes close but still misses the mark for me.

It still blows my mind that Lightroom couldn't use a Photoshop file as a watermark, adjust time zones on import or show you the active focus points just to mention a few features.  All things the first version of Aperture could do.

I'm looking forward to what is to come.

K.G. Wuensch

@Christoph, I concur - the problem to me is that nobody who is a heavy DAM user has been involved in the design of the new DAM, else such bad UI decisions never would have happened.

To the casual user who has a few snapshots a day this may seem like a nice UI but once you get into for example a series of shots with similar but not identical subjects then you need to have an UI that allows you to spot the differences between the shots. For example I have panning shots of F1 cars, some of which bottomed out under load and the skid blocks hit the tarmac and produced a set of really nice looking sparks. If looking at the shots at consistent size I need to select the size so that even in the previews I can see those sparks. Or in a series of shots of a long feeler grasshopper you need to be able to see where the feelers end in selecting the shot(s) to edit further. With inconsistent sized previews as shown by the screenshot and the UI video from a few days ago you can't rely on Luminar to show those differences consistently, thus clearly showing that cardinal errors were made in the basic design of that feature. That should never have happened and the latest this should have been caught would have been an alpha release to someone who uses a DAM daily if they haven't one in the company.

Christoph Haug

No, of course Luminar DAM won't have a migration tool for now. Why would it? Just a couple of weirdos waiting to migrate their stuff over from lightroom, so who cares. Maybe later? Yes, no problem, I can wait another year or two. So many things to do in life, why play with your photos?

Jub De

I sense some serious problems here. Nobody was clamoring for libraries and its related features. Most complains are bugs and issues that the devs has not been able to address until now. Why keep your hands busy with developing libraries when there are other issues needs more immediate attention. Deliver the DAM, fixed the Win top/bottom tuning, make the brush adjustment (right click) useable across all filters, etc. Concentration was on the development of the DAM and as such other issues were set aside. Now the devs are getting their hands full with this so called libraries?

Steven Ralser

It's probably difficult to emulate LR in the first version - How many versions did it take LR to sort of get it right - they're up to 7 or something now.  My wish is for a robust writing solution.

Margarita Ney

It doesn't surprise me that this new addition to Luminar won't have a migration tool for Lightroom and that there will be free updates during 2019 ... I predict it is just another half-baked addition!  And I believe the reason they are offering updates for free in 2019 is because they very well know that the December release will be half-baked!  The long intro to this thread is just more marketing blah blah from this company, nothing new, nothing that they haven't said before.  There has been for quite some time a supposed list of interested people wanting to test the Beta version, but we haven't heard anything other than they are still doing internal testing.  This new addition may well suit the hobbyist out there, but serious photographers and pros will not leave Lightroom, PS or C1 for this "browser".

Nancy Goodenough

I recall recently getting an email from a Skylum US marketing official who suggested we do not need all the bells and whistles of LR's DAM. That what we need is something simple and fast. My fear, when I read this, was that we were being prepared for a stripped down DAM, an entry level system. I can understand that the early version(s) will not be as fully featured as Skylum expects to get to; however, I was concerned that a low expectation was being set, and I felt I was supposed to like that. I. Do. Not. It looks like I will be among those who will watch and wait. I have hundreds of thousands of images under LR6. I don't expect wonders on the first version. I support Skylum getting it right before releasing Luminar with Libraries. I didn't care for an attempt to lower my expectations because that's what I really need rather than a rich system that I do hope for it to become. Thanks for listening. n

Christoph Haug

I appreciate all the hopeful voices here - I'd like to be hopeful myself - but I'm engaging a lot with various software companies/ developers and have developed a good sense for predicting eventual outcomes based on how the company communicates with its users and I'm afraid that Skylum ticks quite a lot of boxes on the "this is going to be a painful journey" side. So I can't help but keep my expectations rather low.

For me, the question is: will Luminar eventually be abke to replace lightroom for people like me who don't have pro-grade requirements for DAM. (It seems clear that it will never be for most professionals).

But when I read that they can't even answer, at this point, whether Luminar Libraries will support such a basic feature EXIF editing, I'm just speechless. For two reasons: their unwillingness to communicate and the fact that it's even an option for them to release a DAM module that does not support EXIF editing.

Please sign in to leave a comment.