New Luminar with Libraries, No Paid Upgrades, and MORE!

Comments

182 comments

Mark Hoffman

Lots of hype. But Luminar 3 will not even allow me to change the default catalog location when I try and install it. So really, nothing has changed at Luminar. Substandard software. Poorly tested. Not supported. Pathetic.

Mark

Comment actions Permalink
    Peter Dijkhuis

Luminar 3 installed. It is Very slow. Launching the app is slow also when using any of the tools. Please remove the possibility of clicking (< > ) to the next photo in the editscreen. It reacts directly when you touch the mouse a little bit on top ( magic mouse).
    Cplourmanagenent reacts very strange. Colors Chang during the processing

andy gray

love luminar 2018 but sadly not an immediate fan on luminar 3 --- running an i7 with 16 of ram, dedicated graphics and its too slow to be practical when viewing/editing raw files.

will be sticking to luminar 2018 and fingers crossed you can tweak the coding to be less resource hungry..........

Bob Warwick

As of December 21, 2018 I am still getting 

Luminar 2018 1.3.2 is currently the newest version available.

when checking for the Luminar for Libraries update.   Any idea when it will be ready?  

Colin Grant

You should be able to get it from the website. Have a look at your account.

Bob Warwick

Thanks!  Perhaps I didn't understand.  I thought that it was coming as an update to my 2018 version.  Am I correct that the upgrade is actually Luminar 3 and that as I have Luminar 2018 it is a free upgrade to Luminar 3?  Am pretty sure all previous upgrades (I started with 2017) have been updates, not new installs. 

Is it possible to install Luminar 3 alongside of my existing 2018?  After reading many negative comments on this forum I am concerned with wiping out 2018.  I had a bad experience when I upgraded 2018 last Spring on my Windows laptop.  It no longer works there due to the graphics driver being "too old". The only solution I was told was to go back to the earlier version.  Now I only run Luminar on a Macbook Pro. 

Where on the Skylum site is the "fre" upgrade to Luminar 3 explained?  

Colin Grant

Yes, it is a free upgrade to L2018 registered users. Yes, it can be installed alongside. It has been published for a long time now, there is a pinned post on the announcement part of tis forum. You should have received an email saying it is now available but either way it will show in your account (My Software) on the Skylum website.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360023749731

Bob Warwick

Thanks!  Now that I understand it's Luminar 3 I needed I have downloaded the Luminar 3 installer zip.  I see all it contains is a Luminar 3 Installer App.  I would really like to read something that tells how to install alongside 2018 before I run the install app and learn that I should have done something differently and it had replaced my 2018 version.   Can you possibly point me to an explanation on how to install so that it will NOT wipe out my current version? 

Sorry for being so anal but I've learned from past experiences NOT to take things for granted.

Tony Collins

Bob - I just ran the installer app, and it installs L3 as a completely separate application. I can still open and run 2018. I don't even think it is possible for the L3 app to replace 2018.

Bob Warwick

Thanks Tony!  You gave me the confidence to give it a try,  The install was very easy and loaded incredibly fast.  My 2018 Luminar is still there too.  Just what I wanted.   

I surely recommend that Skylum spend a few minutes explaining:

1. This is not merely an update to Luminar 2018 but 2018 users are being provided a NEW version (Luminar 3) ant no added cost.  In spending far too much time today reading the forum I saw I was certainly NOT the only person with a misconception. 

2. Somewhere on the Skylum site it should be made clear that you can download and install Version 3 for no added cost.  I saw one poor bloke who had 2018 but had paid for Luminar 3 and now has to contact support to arrange to get his money back.

3. Explain that installing Luminar 3 will not overlay Luminar 2018 and 2018 will continue working as before.

If someone at Skylum would better explain the 3 things above it would alleviate support personnel having to explain thge same things over and over.....and over as is happening now.  I would have much preferred reading a few paragraphs of explanation and would not have had to add to this lengthy community blog.  

OK.....just my 2 cents.  

John Robinson

@Bob from what you say Skylum should have made things clearer. For me, though, it was clear.

I still use some MacPhun's Creative Kit, Luminar and Luminar 18 as extensions in Photos on my iMac. I'm used to following the instructions in emails that Skylum/MacPhun send and so within minutes I had new working Luminar 3 software [as a Photos extension] as intended. Whilst I am not going to use the Library as it is so shorn of functionality, I did open, import some images and change the source catalog.

Let's hope Skylum make a better effort addressing the different needs of its customers in future rather than assume too much. Then your  'penny for your thoughts' will be well spent - I'm English!

Yves Smolders

"We have initially planned to release those features in Luminar 2019, as a paid upgrade, just like we usually do. However, this week, we made a decision to forgo any paid upgrades at least until the end of 2019, and add those features to Luminar 2018 for free.

Luminar will be getting faster, more powerful, and smarter, but you won't have to pay a dime to get new upgrades."

• So fast forward to ***JULY 2019*** - Luminar 4!  Just $49 instead of $89?  Free upgrades until 2019?  Not a dime?  What's happening?
    Sascha Picchiantano

Wow. Seriously, Skylum? You think you got us silenced and can now break your promises?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Yves and Sascha,

Luminar 4 will not be available until late Autumn of 2019 - right now we are just beginning the pre-order. The pre-order (and upgrade when it is released) is completely optional. We will continue to update Luminar 3 over the coming months.

Colin Grant

Yves, that's is what I remember as well. It is probably time to start challenging the legality of this crowd's operating model. Clearly we have been mislead and it is not the fist time. The CEO is not reliable and to be honest Skylum is but a two bit company trying to make money any way it can. Of course the offer might be to potential new users with L3 owners getting the update free (as we are still in 2019), but I doubt it.

Me thinks they have a huge cash flow problem due to their poor performance and lack of loyalty to customers.

Colin Grant

Angela, that sucks and you know it. Autumn 2019 is not the end of 2019 is it (I though 2019 ended on 31 Dec)! You have not delivered the functionality you promised at the outset. You say you will continue to update L3  - on what path and with what functionality. Please explain, we are all ears. I seem to recall that you were once going to continue upgrading/updating CK but that is now on the dump. 

Sascha Picchiantano

Angela, the point is, we were promised free upgrades throughout 2019. Now you just slap a new major version number in front of that update and think that way you can just bypass your promises? Just how stupid do you think your customers are?

Ridiculous.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Sascha - We aren't reneging on that promise. Luminar 3 will continue to get free updates through late 2019 as promised.

John Robinson

Will the fully functioning DAM promised last year be included in Luminar 3 or Luminar 4? Or neither. It would be useful to know whether the DAM is now dead, or in palliative care, given that Skylum has spent a lot of time recently making Luminar products fit with Lightroom.

I like Luminar products. But I'm not sure I want to pay out more money when Skylum has not delivered on its 2018 promises.

Brian Ramage

technically they said no paid upgrade to Luminar 2019...that is a fact since the 2019 version is called Luminar 4. I suppose this paid upgrade is coming late Autumn 2019 and falling in line with "end 2019"

I do think it is crazy re-reading the announcement above with "all new features simply offered free to current 2018 users) ...MANY of those features were said to be included in a 2018 release anyway, the BIGGEST being the DAM (still not a fully-fleshed out DAM)

since my post is still in a "pending approval" since yesterday, I'll try to just add it here:

I purchased Luminar 2018 with the expectation of a DAM. That never happened and a free update to Luminar 3 gave a DAM...or at least a basic file browser.

Luminar Flex came next as a way to use the power of Luminar from an existing DAM or editor. Nice if you need a DAM since L3 was not adequate. however with the next released of Luminar and FLEX it made it sound like you have to choose one or the other (you don't get both) and in order to use Luminar with another application you would NEED Flex going forward.

Now with the announcement of Luminar 4 in the fall with Sky Replacement AI, will that feature (and all other L4 features) port to FLEX? 

I feel at this time Luminar will not have an advanced enough DAM. I am [still] using Aperture and LOVE the DAM and editing capabilities HOWEVER Catalina in the fall means i CANNOT use Aperture anymore. So, perhaps Photos will be enough/better than Luminar's DAM. so, can I get the features from Luminar 4 in a Luminar FLEX 2019/2020 or how will that work? --will FLEX be on par with the standard release - feature-wise??

Thanks in advance

Sascha Picchiantano

Angela, don't start the semantics game with us. We really are NOT as stupid as you think we are. You promised ALL upgrades in 2019 to be free. You can slap a new version number on it all the way you want, that doesn't change anything. You better get this escalated to your management ASAP. Because I will make sure all hell will break loose if you pull through with this scam. The social media backlash will not be healthy for you guys. 

And by the way... one major new feature usually does not warrant a major version change. You really need to try harder if you want to fool your customers. 

Maryna Skylum

Luminar 4 is a brand new app with a bunch of innovative AI features which bring your editing process to the next level. Researching the market of photo-editing tools, we developed unique technologies to enhance your images like never before. Step by step we will reveal all the bells and whistles Luminar 4 acquires.

Nevertheless, the upgrade is absolutely optional. It is up to you whether to stick to your current version or to go ahead with Luminar 4.

We can assure you that we will continue to support Luminar 3 in terms of performance and compatibility. For instance, the next update will be released within a few weeks. Speed improvements alongside some new functionality will be implemented.

Sascha Picchiantano

How hard is it to understand that it is NOT about a silly version number? Please re-read your promises you made. You promised ALL upgrades to be free for 2019. All means all. Do you need an explanation what "all" means?

John Robinson

Maryna, from what you say,

Lumina 4 is a brand new app for editing photos. No mention of organising photos so my presumption is that Luminar 4 will not be delivering improvements to what we were promised was a DAM but is actually a Library with limited functionality.

Luminar 3 will get additional support in terms of performance and compatibility. No mention of the improvements to the Library.

There will come a time when Skylum will not support Luminar 3 - it has stopped supporting the excellent Creative Kit apps. Where will that leave people who looked to Skylum to deliver a functioning DAMin Luminar 3?

Colin Grant

The CEO is the owner of the company so no bonus just cash swindled out of the users. I have little doubt this company is in  breach of many trading and advertising standards on a global basis. They are lucky they have not been driven to the courts but perhaps that is a measure of their client base. I doubt any true professional would put up with this crap. 

I most certainly would not take my hat off to the CEO and am surprised that you would, Dayo. 

Sascha Picchiantano

They are just going to sit this out, while censoring forum posts of those who protest. The Verge will have a nice article up on this scam soon, keep your eyes peeled. 

Colin Grant

Keep us posted, Sascha, here and on the independent FB Groups.

John Robinson

What I would like to see is Skylum sorting out my problem of whether its DAM/Library has any legs left. Once I know, I can move on. I've posted twice on this so far this week with no response. I do not want to waste time and effort in trying to use the Library when it has no future so an answer would make me happy, whether it is yes or no. 

I must be one of the 94% mentioned by Dayo Akanji because I am satisfied with the Creative Kit > Luminar 3/Flex products. They all work on my iMac as extensions.

So Skylum, what is the future of your Library as you continue to support Luminar 3 and roll out Luminar 4. If the answer is continued silence, then I have my answer. It's none. 

Colin Grant

Dayo, I think it depends how you interpret coercion. It is usually a reference to force but...........

Kirk Osborn

Luminar 4 will have the Libraries feature. Still, we are going to release more updates for Luminar 3. Please stay tuned.

Please sign in to leave a comment.