New Luminar with Libraries, No Paid Upgrades, and MORE!

Comments

161 comments

Mark Hoffman

Lots of hype. But Luminar 3 will not even allow me to change the default catalog location when I try and install it. So really, nothing has changed at Luminar. Substandard software. Poorly tested. Not supported. Pathetic.

Mark

Peter Dijkhuis

Luminar 3 installed. It is Very slow. Launching the app is slow also when using any of the tools. Please remove the possibility of clicking (< > ) to the next photo in the editscreen. It reacts directly when you touch the mouse a little bit on top ( magic mouse).
    Cplourmanagenent reacts very strange. Colors Chang during the processing

andy gray

love luminar 2018 but sadly not an immediate fan on luminar 3 --- running an i7 with 16 of ram, dedicated graphics and its too slow to be practical when viewing/editing raw files.

will be sticking to luminar 2018 and fingers crossed you can tweak the coding to be less resource hungry..........

Bob Warwick

As of December 21, 2018 I am still getting 

Luminar 2018 1.3.2 is currently the newest version available.

when checking for the Luminar for Libraries update.   Any idea when it will be ready?  

Colin Grant

You should be able to get it from the website. Have a look at your account.

Bob Warwick

Thanks!  Perhaps I didn't understand.  I thought that it was coming as an update to my 2018 version.  Am I correct that the upgrade is actually Luminar 3 and that as I have Luminar 2018 it is a free upgrade to Luminar 3?  Am pretty sure all previous upgrades (I started with 2017) have been updates, not new installs. 

Is it possible to install Luminar 3 alongside of my existing 2018?  After reading many negative comments on this forum I am concerned with wiping out 2018.  I had a bad experience when I upgraded 2018 last Spring on my Windows laptop.  It no longer works there due to the graphics driver being "too old". The only solution I was told was to go back to the earlier version.  Now I only run Luminar on a Macbook Pro. 

Where on the Skylum site is the "fre" upgrade to Luminar 3 explained?  

Colin Grant

Yes, it is a free upgrade to L2018 registered users. Yes, it can be installed alongside. It has been published for a long time now, there is a pinned post on the announcement part of tis forum. You should have received an email saying it is now available but either way it will show in your account (My Software) on the Skylum website.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360023749731

Bob Warwick

Thanks!  Now that I understand it's Luminar 3 I needed I have downloaded the Luminar 3 installer zip.  I see all it contains is a Luminar 3 Installer App.  I would really like to read something that tells how to install alongside 2018 before I run the install app and learn that I should have done something differently and it had replaced my 2018 version.   Can you possibly point me to an explanation on how to install so that it will NOT wipe out my current version? 

Sorry for being so anal but I've learned from past experiences NOT to take things for granted.

Tony Collins

Bob - I just ran the installer app, and it installs L3 as a completely separate application. I can still open and run 2018. I don't even think it is possible for the L3 app to replace 2018.

Bob Warwick

Thanks Tony!  You gave me the confidence to give it a try,  The install was very easy and loaded incredibly fast.  My 2018 Luminar is still there too.  Just what I wanted.   

I surely recommend that Skylum spend a few minutes explaining:

1. This is not merely an update to Luminar 2018 but 2018 users are being provided a NEW version (Luminar 3) ant no added cost.  In spending far too much time today reading the forum I saw I was certainly NOT the only person with a misconception. 

2. Somewhere on the Skylum site it should be made clear that you can download and install Version 3 for no added cost.  I saw one poor bloke who had 2018 but had paid for Luminar 3 and now has to contact support to arrange to get his money back.

3. Explain that installing Luminar 3 will not overlay Luminar 2018 and 2018 will continue working as before.

If someone at Skylum would better explain the 3 things above it would alleviate support personnel having to explain thge same things over and over.....and over as is happening now.  I would have much preferred reading a few paragraphs of explanation and would not have had to add to this lengthy community blog.  

OK.....just my 2 cents.  

John Robinson

@Bob from what you say Skylum should have made things clearer. For me, though, it was clear.

I still use some MacPhun's Creative Kit, Luminar and Luminar 18 as extensions in Photos on my iMac. I'm used to following the instructions in emails that Skylum/MacPhun send and so within minutes I had new working Luminar 3 software [as a Photos extension] as intended. Whilst I am not going to use the Library as it is so shorn of functionality, I did open, import some images and change the source catalog.

Let's hope Skylum make a better effort addressing the different needs of its customers in future rather than assume too much. Then your  'penny for your thoughts' will be well spent - I'm English!

Please sign in to leave a comment.