New Luminar with Libraries, No Paid Upgrades, and MORE!

Pinned Featured

Comments

161 comments

Michael Anderson

I was encouraged by this video.   Seems to be a decent start.    One topic not covered is how you can tell Luminar to rename files using tokens.    Lr, C1P and other DAMs provide a sizable list of tokens usually based on EXIF and IPTC fields.   I hope Luminar does likewise.   I guess we will find out in just under 2 weeks.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5n0_zcxFvY 

Colin Grant

I doubt it will even be close to that, John. I dislike the owners of Skylum immensely. Arrogant in the extreme and dismissive of both their customers and business ethics. Being upset by what is generally perceived as misleading advertising and none delivery of promises is hardly being cynical!

Francis Mariani

Did I mention that I cannot stand the fact that one needs to login to Facebook to comment on Skylum blog posts? Facebook? Are you kidding? what's wrong with allowing login via the Skylum Community (this) ID?

Jerry Dean

Francis Mariani, this is not true, I login with my Skylum info without any issues.

Francis Mariani

On the blog, example URL: https://skylum.com/blog/user-spotlight-kevin-dooley

Even though I'm logged in to the blog, I cannot make a comment unless I log in to Facebook. I don't want to use that absolutely awful company's social network.

Jerry Dean

Sorry it doesn't work for you, strange, I just login with my Skylum info and am able to comment and post.  Maybe email Skylum support and see if they can help.

Michael Anderson

Skylum must have OKed folks with beta copies to release reviews and demos on the 6th.   There are several demo videos on Youtube.   Search for Luminar 3.  

Francis Mariani

When viewing the blog, you may have logged in with your Skylum credentials, but perhaps when you post a comment it uses your Facebook account, which you've already logged in with. The blue text and the "Like" and "thumbs up" smells of Facebook.

Colin Grant

The library demos I have seen fail to mention there is no search function.

John Robinson

@Michael Anderson

Thanks for the tip off. 

Jerry Dean

I have never signed in here or anywhere else with my Facebook login except Facebook.

Michael Anderson

Luminar 3 with its DAM, all its filters, ability to use my DCP file, combined with Topaz Studio as a plugin set should provide a world of possibilities using layers, masks, AI effects, blend modes, and a world of filters. It could make for a very interesting combo.

Francis Mariani

I have 80,000 photos in my Apple Aperture library, with hundreds of keywords applied, as well as ratings, flags, etc. Apple Aperture still runs on my Mac, and it's fast, but it will probably not be compatible with the next OS upgrade. As it was last updated in 2014, it's missing some features that newer programs have. 

Because there is no import feature in Luminar, the DAM appears to be for people that never have used a DAM before. I am truly disappointed that an import feature could not be included - at the very least, they could have partnered with a third-party software company to come up with a solution, like Aperture Exporter.

Lightroom, Capture One and Mylio all can import many aspects of Apple Aperture metadata and edits, and have had this capability for several years.

Why would someone already using a DAM be willing to start all over again, it makes no sense.

Colin Grant

There is no keyword support in Luminer 3, Francis. So you do lose everything! Might be ok for some I guess but not those who have invested time in the likes of Aperture or Lightroom. Even Jim Nix in his video says he will not be moving from Lr.

Sascha Picchiantano

@Francis,

with all due respect and with as much passion I am bashing Skylum all the time myself, but bringing in a piece of software that has been dead for almost 5 years now and expecting a new software to have an importer for this just isn't fair at all. If you are still trapped in the Aperture ecosystem that is your fault, and your fault alone. You had enough time and opportunity to get out. You can't expect other software companies to provide a solution for a piece of software that was shut down 5 years ago. It would be a total waste of money and resources. 

Am I happy that Luminar doesn't have any catalog importers at all? No. But expecting one for Aperture is ridiculous. 

Francis Mariani

The software isn't dead yet - it runs quite well on my Mac and I am not trapped in the Aperture ecosystem. I have had a contingency plan for at least two years - migrating to Capture One Pro, though I was hoping I could instead migrate to software less professional and perhaps cheaper.

Luminar is not a "new software". Macphun launched Luminar in November 2016. The final update to Aperture was released on October 2014. It's not ludicrous to expect a software launched on MacOS to have the capability to import Aperture libraries - there were many people in the same boat as me. So I waited patiently while Macphun promised a DAM, which was released about a year after it was promised and with less features than more than a few people hoped for.

But, not to worry, you will no longer see me complaining here.

Francis Mariani

So, no keywords in a digital asset management system, eh? Pity. Some people may be happy with what they do get, others don't know what a DAM is, and are happy with some folder structure of their choosing. Unfortunately, it's not enough for me.

Colin Grant

Why is it ridiculous, they want Aperture users to come on board? There is not even a Lr importer and even ON1 has that!

Michael Anderson

If someone wants our of Aperture, both Lightroom and Capture 1 Pro offered tools for that a few years back.   Must be very close to zero business case for developing such a migration tool these days.   

Both Jim Nix and Matt Suess have said they will not be moving to the Luminar DAM's first release.   Who knows what will happen by next July when we should have a Lr migration tool and support for more of the DAM basics that are missing in the initial release.   In the meantime, Luminar does have some very interesting filters.  

Sascha Picchiantano

Of course is Aperture dead. It may still run, but it's been marked End Of Life by Apple some 5 years ago. No one is going to support it for you. 

And yes, it's ludicrous to expect Skylum to support it. Luminar, as you said, launched 2 years after Apple shut down Aperture. And when Luminar launched, it was a photo editor at heart, not a DAM. When I said Luminar is new, I was referring to the new DAM module, and that thing will be far from perfect for the foreseeable future. It would make absolutely zero sense for Skylum to build an Aperture importer for the hand full of people who still use it (e.g. next to no market) while at the same time not getting any kind of support or documentation from Apple to be able to build that thing in the first place. 

So yes, your expectation actually is ludicrous. No offense. 

Sascha Picchiantano

Question for Skylum:

Judging by some of the videos on the Library module, it seems you're generating thumbnails based on the embedded JPG thumbnails in RAW files. I hope that is optional. I want my thumbnails generated from the RAW directly. The embedded thumbs in most RAWs are usually pretty crappy.

Maryna Skylum

Hi Sascha,

I'm afraid, this is not optional. Luminar generates thumbnails based on the embedded JPG in RAW files by default. 

John Robinson

I've watched a few of the Luminar with Libraries videos. I'm underwhelmed but then I expected to be. Photo Joseph suggests experienced photographers will not move over to Libraries and neither will those who already use Apple's Photos as the DAM and Luminar editing tools. I'm a snapper in the latter camp and it looks like my expectation of a manageable workflow of Skylum's DAM and Luminar by the end of the year has not be met.

Well at least I know where I stand.

Colin Grant

Did we really expect anything other than this? I was, perhaps foolishly, a little hopeful when they said they had spent hours talking to pro photographers about what would be needed in this re-imagined dam. The functionality in Apple Photos far exceeds Luminar so why would anyone switch from there or Lr.

Jeff Kovitz

Well these guys are WAY better at marketing than they are at software development.  Having said that, their hearts are in the right place but they are still second tier developers.  Luminar is less buggy than it used to be, and the DAM is not very far along at all but they are doing a great job of messaging how sexy it is.   It will likely be another year until it is ready for prime time. On1 is much further along in it's file management and functionality (managing presets, layers, local adjustments etc) but there are some things (AI, specialized filters) that Luminar is preferable for.   Alienskin is better at some things as well.   Kind of makes me laugh at all the complaining however as these pieces of software are so cheap that it makes good sense to have at least two of them.  I move back and forth all the time, taking the best of each one as required.    As far as the Luminar DAM is concerned, its essentially useless right now, but they will get there.

Sascha Picchiantano

Marya, 

re: thumbnails - this just gets worse and worse. If you guys want to attract the professional and semi-professional crowd, you need to do better than this. No one will seriously judge their photos by the embedded JPG thumbnails, which in 99.99% of all cases look completely different than the actual photo (rendered from the RAW). 

You should seriously consider changing this. Otherwise, I am just going to think you are faking the speed of the app with this.

Maryna Skylum

Thank you for your feedback. 

Yes, there are a lot of features we want to improve and add to make Luminar 3 as good as possible, and we're constantly improving our software. Needless to say, all our plans cannot be released at once, it requires time. Nevertheless, we try to do our best.

Also, you can check our future plans for Luminar 3 here:

https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Jeff Kovitz

Well looking at the roadmap - especially what isn't mentioned, expect two years until this product fleshes out as it should.  Oh yah you will have to pay for an upgrade in mid 2019 for a still half finished product.  But I still say, while they have bit off more than they can chew in the short run, its coming along,,,,

Michael Anderson

Both On1 and Skylum want to offer their products as Lr replacements.   And neither have a catalog that can import and rename files with the same abilities as Lr Library.   So short term, you may need to either continue with Lr for handling the imports or use something like PhotoMechanic to do the imports with file renaming, EXIF and IPTC data input, and adding keywords.   In the example PhotoMechanic is setup to create a destination folder of the year (if needed) and then a folder for each shoot day. the shoot day folder names would be like "2018-12-11".    The file renaming example is creating files using the camera body serial number followed by a 4 digit sequence number, "BUBBA-1234".   

Think about and carefully plan how you will setup a new folder structure or continue your current one.   Make sure the apps you plan to use can do the job with a minimum of intervention.  

Tomasz Kowalka

It's 18.12.2018, will we get download link today ?

Please sign in to leave a comment.