New Luminar with Libraries, No Paid Upgrades, and MORE!

Comments

161 comments

Angela Andrieux

@Colin - I don't have that info yet, so I prefer not to speculate. 

Colin Grant

Yet you feel it is appropriate to offer the product for sale in advance? ON1 are doing that but have announced the specs. I ask, have Skylum learned anything?

Lance Miller

Does the DAM feature the ability to watermark photos?

Rich Carstensen

Bummer about the Metadata thing, but I still support you guys!  You offer a GREAT product at a reasonable price.  Keep up the good work and look forward to the continued updates!

Daniel Scholz

@Lance - most likely not in our December update, but we have this feature on our list. 

Bjarne Winkler

@Rich Carstensen, can I ask which version, Luminar 2018 Mac version or Luminar 2018 Windows version?

Rich Carstensen

@Bjarne Winkler  What version of Luminar am I using now?  Mac 1.3.0

Bjarne Winkler

@Angela, wow – really!  Are you saying that we get library functions in the first release (the end of the year release) but no Keywords?  That is like Ford selling cars without an engine.  I sure hope I am missing something here.  Please elaborate!  

Bjarne Winkler

@Rich, the I understand why you are happy, you are using the Mac version.  You should try the Windows version (no you should not, you will cry of all the missing functions)

Douwe Huizinga

I really like what I am seeing so far. Using the folder structure instead of a catalog system and a clean modern minimal UI with the focus on the photos.

But it looks like this is gonna be a VERY basic implementations of a DAM. The blog posts are mentioning big features like copy edits, rating and sorting on date. Come on Skylum, this all very basic stuff. So far nothing on copy photo's from a card to a automatic folder structure, virtual copies, advanced search on metadata, smart albums, export functionality, compair photo's (see 2 or more photos next to each other), multiple monitor support, search based on AI, folder management,  ...

I am really curious about the user experience from this statement: "The new Luminar (with DAM) will bring you great speed and the most incredible user experience available."  Will there be any feature that is not very basic and not already present in all other tools?

I hope Skylum shows more than just teasers < 1 minute. Look at On1 with more than 1 hour of video about there new release. Please show us more content and the promised roadmap.

Edgar Torres

This is great news, but I am more than a little upset with the way Skylum has treated its customers.  The reason I bought the product a year ago was because of your promise to include a DAM in a vague future in 2018.  The way Skylum phrased it made it seem it would come sometime in early 2018, we now know that it was not the case.

We bought a product based on a promised feature only to be left in the dark for almost a year. A feature will be released almost at the end of the product life cycle.  I believed Skylum and thought that the DAM would be an integral part of Luminar 2018 only to find out now that it will likely be released in the very last month of 2018.  This might sound harsh but I consider Luminar 2018 an incomplete product and consider that Skylum did not do right by their customers.

This is no way to treat your paying customers nor earn their loyalty.  Quite frankly this update would have been better if it were part of Skylum 2019 and Skylum would have saved themselves such a hit on their reputation.  I can guarantee that I am far from the only customer who feels this way.  Three of my colleagues bought Luminar because I recommended the application to them and they are just as disappointed as I am.

I used both Luminar and lightroom and enjoy both applications, and would have been more than happy to pay every year to have the latest and the greatest, no more.

Thank you for your time, from a very frustrated customer.

Manfred Ram

There is a German language Youtube video, mentioning that the new version will be released by end December 2018.

Are you not mainting  the release date mentioned earlier, Decmbr 18th ?

regards/Manfred

Angela Andrieux

Hi Manfred,

As far as I know the release date is still December 18.

Michael Anderson

Regarding the Lr Migration Tool for next year....

On1 has a Lr Migration Tool for their 2019 Photo RAW release.   I have not tried it as I have a huge problem with their Browse module.    I have used Lr Library's list of token (mostly EXIF and IPTC fields) to create have rules for the names of the folders that Lr automatically creates during an import process.   The same goes for renaming the image files as they are imported.   

The PR Browse module has only a few tokens that can be used for folder and file naming.   I could not get Browse to replicated the folder and file naming conventions I have used for years with Lr.    So, I will not use 2019 PR because of the huge limitations in their Browse module (plus some other things I will not discuss here).

Why bring this up here?   Because Skylum needs to be ready for the same problem set.   If you migrate Lr Libraries to Luminary's DAM, then the DAM needs to have the same folder and file naming capabilities as folks have used in Lr for many years.   The DAM folder and file naming routines need to support the same tokens as in Lr Library (and Bridge).  CiP and Photo Mechanic also support a large list of naming tokens. 

Manfred Ram

Good day Angela.  Appreciate your reply and support. But I would like to have a reply from Skylum itself. From the developers. Is that possible, please ?

regards Manfred

#

Colin Grant

Has a dev ever responded on these threads? They rely on people like Angela to pass on the news, good or bad. It would be good if the CEO would enter into a dialogue but I guess the truth is it would end upon a slanging match and get nobody anywhere. Why not email the CEO directly?

Anastasia Davis

@Colin @Manfred We are the part of Skylum and do have all the info from devs. We are aware of everything that is happening in the company, thus can provide you with a relevant info. This way, I can confirm that the release date is December 18.

John Tweddell

Have you started public beta tests yet. With less than a month to go, I assume you must have. Put my name down but heard nothing. Still using Aperture so keen to start with a new dam 

Colin Grant

I think we all understand you position Nastia. I just think Manfred would like to hear directly from those who run the company. Perhaps not completely unreasonable given the history,

Micu Daniel Sandu

Hello, I have 2 questions:
    1. On how many computers can I use a Luminary license?
    2. If I buy Luminar and AuroraHDR together at 119$, will I get the Black Friday bonuses of each item purchased separately at 59, respectively 99$ ?
    Thank you!

Anna Veres

Hi John, at the moment we don't have any beta testing, sorry. Just in 3 weeks, you will be able to try the Photo Libraries out on your own :)

Anna Veres

Hi Micu Daniel, 

You can install the app on up to 5 devices, using one license. You will receive all the bonuses that are included in the special bundle deal. 

Fernando Ariznavarreta

So you are going to put it in the market with no beta testing at all, thus we are going to make the beta testing on road.

Well, we will see if the bugs are not huge enough to make it unusable.

I expect some problems, but if it lets me clasify photos in a basic way and does correct color management, it would be better than we have now, at least.

Anna Veres

Luminar 3 has already undergone a series of internal tests. It has been also tested by selected pros and educators across the globe. Just, at the moment we are not conducting an open beta. 

K.G. Wuensch

@Anna, you have learned nothing from the desasterous previous releases, no public beta for a product where you are struggling to understand what the users expect set you up for a collosal failure!

David Martinez

Hi,

A beta does not have to be necessarily public, and nor does it mean that the released product has the most errors for this reason. Let us hope that Luminar progress in their life cycle to be able to forget Ligtroom (at least in my case)

Michael Anderson

If Luminar 3 can replace Lr (standalone, CC, or Classic) will greatly depend on your requirements on the DAM and image development.    If you use Lr to do imports with automatic folder creation and name plus image renaming using the extensive token names support in Lr Library......at least. the first release of the Luminar Libraries may not be enough.    

We should all know enough by this time next month to know if we can migrate from Lr to Luminar with Libraries.....or not. 

Fernando Ariznavarreta

I am pretty sure that Luminar won't be enough for me.

Skylum has hided us every bit of information about the progress, the features, etc. after promising almost a year ago that if would import and read lightroom databases.

It does not seem to make any advance searching, clasification, etc.

It has no printing utilities. It has no import, we will see if it does correct color management at last.

But I am not thinking of me, I am thinking of my wife. She was using windows live photo to organize her photos, and she may be can take advantage of luminar.

I would use some filter and have a look at it, until it finally provides what were promised.

Meanwhile I won't put a buck more in it.

Francis Mariani

No Adobe Lightroom migration tool means no Apple Aperture migration tool. I bet you there is more than one person dreaming of finally letting go of Apple Aperture but also hoping to be able migrate images, metadata, some edits.

I purchased Luminar in the hope that the much ballyhooed Library would be something to behold, I'm guessing that, while you made it speedy, it won't be as speedy as Apple Aperture.

I tried the AI Sky Enhancer filter on a few photos that had poorly exposed skies, and I wasn't impressed - in each photo I got a halo at hard edges of the composition.

I'm jumping ship. Cheers, thanks a lot.

John Robinson

My guess is that what we will get is an under-developed version of Apple's Photos Organiser. I'm no longer expecting anything more than that. Fortunately, I use Apple's Photos [I'm a snapper] and I like the way it works with Luminar so I'll stay put for now and pick up the upgrades as they are released. I won't be paying for anything from Skylum until it delivers for the unfortunate Windows users and a recognisable DAM. I still cannot commit to Lighroom and associated Adobe software.

In his blog of September 2018 - Dima Sytnik, CTO of Skylum, Co-Founder of Skylum & Photolemur said, "Some amount of negative feedback is impossible to avoid. And if you lend too much credence to it, you’ll likely damage your business more than help it." He goes on to expound the view that, "Happy customers are usually quiet customers."

https://skylum.com/blog/why-you-shouldnt-focus-too-much-on-negative-feedback- 

Nothing new in what Sytnik says. I came across this approach in the early 90's when Leyland DAF Trucks used this approach with its staff [according to the book subsequently published when it had become a success story]. Leyland DAF remains one of the most productive truck makes in the world. It advocated looking after the 'early adopters of change', focusing on the sceptics, and ignoring the cynics unless they put the business at risk or prompted innovation. Who knows why Dima came out with his blog before Skylum was a success for Apple AND Windows customers.

Please sign in to leave a comment.