New Luminar with Libraries, No Paid Upgrades, and MORE!

Comments

182 comments

Bjarne Winkler

@Angela Andrieux - thanks

Comment actions Permalink
    Tony Collins

@Bjarne - that's what I said - it MIGHT be possible to import database (Tags ratings etc) but not edits (By which I meant image edits - Keving was talking about the non destructive edits to his raw files, and not losing all that work).

Alex We

I'm interested in buying Luminar, but what about Color Management for Windows? Without that the software is unusable. When will that be available?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Alex,

Our developers are working on color management solutions for Windows, but I do not have a specific release date for those updates at this time.

Lance Miller

Will Libraries also manage photos for Aurora HDR?

For example, when browsing photos, can the user select multiple exposures and choose Open In > Aurora HDR?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Lance,

I don't have the specifics on this yet, but it is highly likely that you'll be able to do so.

Jerry Dean

I just watched the latest video posted on Facebook/Skylum about the Library organizing photos automatically by date, will we be able to specify a location subfolder after the year before import into the Library?  For me just organizing by date is not enough, I wish to have the location also.  

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jerry,

We'll be releasing info on those kinds of details soon. (Sorry the the repetitive answer!!)

Tomasz Kowalka

I bought the program, but without color management it is useless. The cms implementation should be a priority for the pc version. Photos after opening are oversaturated. You can not work professionally without the correct display of colors

Leila Evans

Hi Tomasz - I can understand how frustrated you are. Our dev team is working on this.

Christoph Haug

I watched the latest pre-release video (announcing the revolutionary feature of sorting by date! Yeay!) and I'm wondering whether the library module will support multiple date formats (i.e. not force the US format on the rest of the world)?

Colin Grant

Will the Library support viewing and editing exif/iptc data (that includes keywording)? This is a question that has gone unanswered for a long time and it is a basic piece of DAM functionality.

Denis Kotsee

Yes, it will added in future updates.

Colin Grant

That is excellent news. Thank you.

Nancy Goodenough

My current view point about the upcoming Luminar DAM is that if it doesn't use XMP sidecar files for metadata I will pass on it. I have been been learning and experimenting with Photo Mechanic. I like how Photo Mechanic and Lightroom can share non-edit metadata such as keywords, star ratings and color tags. I will want the Luminar DAM to at least be that open to the world. My first priority is to be able to find my photos. I don't want to use some new proprietary catalog system. 

Will Luminar use XMP sidecar files for metadata?

Nancy Goodenough

Will I be able to use the Luminar Library across multiple drives? I have about 500k images across three 4TB or 8TB drives.

Rich Carstensen

This is great news!  Thanks for the update.  By chance will this new version have the ability to add keyword tags and copyright in the metadata?

Tomasz Kowalka

How can I get a beta version with working cms (PC Version) ? I'd like to become a beta tester.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Tomasz! Reach us at support@skylum.com and we will add you to the list for future open beta testing.

Anastasia Davis

@Rich Carstensen Hi! The release version will not have this functionality yet. Nevertheless, we are working on it.

Sascha Picchiantano

I am not sure whether I should laugh or cry about this... but this last comment of Nastia confirms the worst concerns that many are having about the DAM. If one of THE most basic and THE most important feature of a DAM - namely keywords - isn't included in this initial release, people better get used to the fact that this piece of software will be nothing more than a glorified, overpriced picture browser that won't even be close to being a DAM for years to come. Mark my words.

Colin Grant

If the above is reference to key wording, Nastia, then it conflicts with Denis Kotsee (see above) who says keywording will be there. How can you expect people to pre order when there appears to be great difficulty in identifying exactly what the specs are,

Brian Ramage

After the DAM is released will you then say what features we should expect in updates?

Reading what the Skylum team keeps saying how on initial release it won't include THIS or THAT. I dread that this is merely a folder/thumbnail view and nothing more. a DAM allows you to manage digital assets and it is hard to manage without adding keywords to then make searching easier.

I fear with my Luminar DAM blind following I should just invest in a better DAM/PP at this point. It seems we have a lot of "not on release" statements. :(

Fernando Ariznavarreta

All this is a complete mess.

One representative confirms keywording is there, then comes another one that says it will be added in the future.

Nobody, even skylum people, seems to know what to expect, it seems just like programing on the road, with no roadmap.

Well, we will see what they release after almost a year. I have few expectations.

K.G. Wuensch

But guys, don't forget that they are re-imagining the DAM. They are not going to tick the list of indispensable functionality, no, they are going to give us a DAM we couldn't have imagined because we are too stupid to see that concepts like keywords and the like are so outdated and must therefore be abandoned...

Just like the concept that images could have atmosphere to them because they have noise and we shouldn't worry about noise, it will be kept from ever bothering us again (unavoidable RAW noise reduction when some heuristic determines that the noise is going to be bothersome). Or the concept of color management, that too is so quaint, why bother when sRGB is all we'll ever need. Or color proofing... Or cropping to a fixed aspect ratio which does actually work, why wouldn't you want the orientation of your crop to change when you drag mainly along one axis - who would ever expect that the area should enlarge proportionally along both axes even if it's the shorter you're dragging...

What is next? Automatic dust spot detection and removal? Let me guess, you have never seen the pseudo-pupil of a praying mantis and you're going to mistake that dark spot for a dust spot and remove it irrevocably...

Sorry, Skylum, get your act together - while some automatic functions are of interest as a starting point those automatic functions are not without their flaws and when these rear their ugly mush there must be a way to disable that function. With every new version you add new functions that "automatically improve" our images - so what's going to be the next hapless, moronic idea unleashed upon your users?

Tomasz Kowalka

As pc user what i'm missing: cms, libraries, keywords.

Brian Ramage

I know Skylum doesn't want to reveal too much info now, but on release can you also release a Timeline of Updates?

Surely you are finalizing the initial release now and have some form of BETAs for the next 1-2 updates after that to keep on pace. Can you give out a list of Features with possible .Point releases/Timeframe?

so an example...Dec 15 Initial DAM (1.0) then by Jan 10 )DAM 1.1) with added Keywording, Image Previews, Ratings, ...Jan 31 (DAM 1.2) to include Organizing by folders, deleting files, editing files... 

If you continue to just state COMING SOON you will continue to lose your customer base as people get fed up with the vague information. Thanks

Angela Andrieux

It looks like a bit of clarification is in order here:

Keywords will be included in the Luminar Library in future updates.

Sorry for the confusion!

Anastasia Davis

Hi Brian! We would be glad to inform you of the dates but we don't know the exact dates yet. Thus, we don't want to give you a misleading info. 

Colin Grant

And what exactly will the metadata support be and if keywords are not written to the metadata how will they carry across to other apps, photo websites?

Please sign in to leave a comment.