New Luminar with Libraries, No Paid Upgrades, and MORE!

Comments

161 comments

Tom Pickering

Angela -

No migration tool from Lightroom!  Are you serious?  What's the point, then?

Bjarne Winkler

@Tom Pickering, what is really scary to me is that Skylum does not have a long-term road map with release dates and features.  And why you may ask?  My guess is that some of this stuff is coded by the seat of there pants and not really designed.  Why else would we have had to wait close to a year for DAM or Libraries?  And now it is coming out that there is no migration from Lightroom.  How do Skylum expect that Lightroom users would move over to Luminar? 
    The real sad part to me is that I think the internal imaging manipulation algorithm engine is good, no it is great, but the GUI part with all the features and how you use those features is not up to pare (and here I am talking about Luminar 2018 for Windows).

Let’s see what happens in November!    

Brian Ramage

I guess the reason for not having a migration for other DAMs is you want to encourage people to use the new DAM like a soft launch. Enter a few photos at a time and heck out the new DAM.

If you encourage a mass migration you’d undoubtedly have many issues and complaining customers who wonder WHY the image from Lightroom doesn’t have the exact tags or post processing like in their former DAM.

Waiting a few weeks (probably months seeing how Skylum works) then releasing migration tools allows other DAM bugs to be worked out.

Also, would you really want to quickly dump your photos into a brand new DAM? Either you duplicate and try or have issues with conflict.

I know when I jumped to Aperture I did not pull all iPhoto photos into it. Instead I started fresh and check how things go.

Jub De

I sense some serious problems here. Nobody was clamoring for libraries and its related features. Most complains are bugs and issues that the devs has not been able to address until now. Why keep your hands busy with developing libraries when there are other issues needs more immediate attention. Deliver the DAM, fixed the Win top/bottom tuning, make the brush adjustment (right click) useable across all filters, etc. Concentration was on the development of the DAM and as such other issues were set aside. Now the devs are getting their hands full with this so called libraries?

Steven Ralser

It's probably difficult to emulate LR in the first version - How many versions did it take LR to sort of get it right - they're up to 7 or something now.  My wish is for a robust writing solution.

Jeff Kovitz

I will say this Alex - you have taken to heart the fact that you had bit off more than you could chew.  I really like Luminar but had to move my important work to ON1 and Affinity because they don't crash after a ton of work.  But I like your approach and am hopeful you will continue to clean up this software and add reliable features.  Looking forward to the new and improved Skylum.   While you are reading this, one of my real frustrations is not being able to organize the buckets of presets - eg moving some of the best of black and white into one preset group.  I have them all and it is quite hard to find what I am looking for.  I know there is a business strategy to sell "bundles" but after a while, its a bit much.  eg:

Thanks and good luck

Andy Hewitt

Finally this is the news we have been waiting for. Should have been done a year ago when you announced the DAM feature though.

However, it looks promising now, but in the meantime I have signed up for a year of Lightroom CC. With the time and effort invested in Lightroom management and editing over a few years, I will be waiting to see how 'Libraries' develops, and see some promises fulfilled, before planning on any migrations.

I also appreciate the upgrade pricing gesture, although if you still plan on charging annual upgrade fees in the future, you really need to remove the 'Luminar - pay once and enjoy forever' slogan, it is not relevant or accurate.

Hopefully you (as a company) have learnt a harsh lesson here, and maybe try to stop over-promising and under-delivering. Many of the comments show that there is a loyal following of MacPhun/Skylum software, and we only want to see you continue to produce great products, but you need to do it in a way that does not alienate them too.

Even in these comments I see more promises of features, but surely you can appreciate that it's going to be hard to take such promises seriously. Let's see what is delivered, and I hope we can restore faith in Skylum and your products.

Thank you and best wishes going forward,

Andy

K.G. Wuensch

@Tom, that they are all the same size simply is down to the fact that all the photos are the same aspect ratio throughout the collection. Wait and see if that can be maintained if there are changes in orientation or aspect ratio - as there are in the speed video...

Martin P.

BTW: They don't call it DAM anymore... They call it Luminar with libraries.

According to the answer to my question on Twitter it's only for photos and no other 'digital assets' (especially videos). Another difference to Lightroom. So I'm out...

Margarita Ney

It doesn't surprise me that this new addition to Luminar won't have a migration tool for Lightroom and that there will be free updates during 2019 ... I predict it is just another half-baked addition!  And I believe the reason they are offering updates for free in 2019 is because they very well know that the December release will be half-baked!  The long intro to this thread is just more marketing blah blah from this company, nothing new, nothing that they haven't said before.  There has been for quite some time a supposed list of interested people wanting to test the Beta version, but we haven't heard anything other than they are still doing internal testing.  This new addition may well suit the hobbyist out there, but serious photographers and pros will not leave Lightroom, PS or C1 for this "browser".

Marc Peeters

I like Liminar, and Luminar Dam is needed to compete with Lightroom.

Some things I miss, like selecting tools.

But I am sure that the Skylum-team fix this.

For the rest it's an Amazing program.

Bjarne Winkler

@Brian Ramage, sorry but if Skylum did the standard Alpha and the Beta testing this this would never be an issue.  So, some new car company comes out with the new electric car, but they do not let you charge the batteries in the car, since something could go wrong – what kind of thinking is that.  

No if Skylum want to play with the big boys they design, code, test (including Alpha and Beta) before releasing – remember they have spent close to a year on this from the day it was preannounced, and we still have not seen it.

Brian Ramage

even with Standard Alpha Beta testing companies tend to put off certain advancements until later.

Apple is a BIG company that does this all the time. OR they keep it in the application/OS/Hardware and simply refer to it as BETA for 1-2 years.

I'd have to look up other companies that use this same tactic but busy with work at the moment. 

AND, using Luminar with Libraries can still work, it is the retro-fitting of another DAM into Luminar that is not added, the DAM feature can still work fully without that addition. I remember opening a Quark file in some version of InDesign and the conversion never worked properly. it was faster to start from scratch. 

**I am not thrilled by the response "soon" time and time again and finally saying on the last month of the year 2018 ew will finally get what has been talked about for more than a year. and we are all very much IN THE DARK with Luminar. I do feel like jumping ship soon if they do not announce and show off some features (before actual release)

Nancy Goodenough

I recall recently getting an email from a Skylum US marketing official who suggested we do not need all the bells and whistles of LR's DAM. That what we need is something simple and fast. My fear, when I read this, was that we were being prepared for a stripped down DAM, an entry level system. I can understand that the early version(s) will not be as fully featured as Skylum expects to get to; however, I was concerned that a low expectation was being set, and I felt I was supposed to like that. I. Do. Not. It looks like I will be among those who will watch and wait. I have hundreds of thousands of images under LR6. I don't expect wonders on the first version. I support Skylum getting it right before releasing Luminar with Libraries. I didn't care for an attempt to lower my expectations because that's what I really need rather than a rich system that I do hope for it to become. Thanks for listening. n

Fernando Ariznavarreta

We will have to wait and see what luminar libraries provides.

But I am not liking the news about it, it seems it is going to be just a browser.

They did not only promised that it would have a way to import photos from Lightroom

They promised they were able to read the Lightroom catalog, that is quite more advance than just importing photos.

Now it is not clear if there is going to be some kind of catalog.

Colin Grant

But when did they ever live up to expectations. I guess we could say that by attempting to lower expectations they are at least being honest. Of course none of that matters as a significant number of people have bought into Luminar on the basis of it being a replacement for LR when it appears to be no more than a low grade alternative. Remember - it was a DAM now its Libraries! And they still won't answer questions re functionality. That suggests to me the functionality being asked about is not there.

But we must not forget the main app itself which is still sadly lacking in functionality when compared to LR and ON1. Masking for a start is a joke. That is not to forget the Windows/Mac parity, or lack of.

Jennifer Wolf

For all the complainers that are freaking out about "libraries" and "where is our DAM you promised".....

What is the DAM called in Lightroom...Libraries.

What is it called in Aperture...Libraries.

What is it called in Capture One...Libraries.

What is it called in On1 .... Browse.  (There's one in every crowd, right?)

The point is no one calls it a DAM.  It is implied.

They have only released a couple screen shots and short videos, how are people reaching all these conclusions on what it can and can't do from those?

As for transferring photos from LR after the mess that Adobe made of their migration tool from Aperture to LR and then LR deciding after a couple years that my hard drive has a different name than it actually does, I have to start from scratch anyway.  

Colin Grant

The DAM in LR is not called library the library is but one element of LR. The same goes for CaptureOne et al. What people are asking is will the functionality of the Skylum version be anywhere near that of LR, as was promised at the outset. The answer to that is probably no because every time a question is asked, like mine re EXIF editing, they say they cannot answer that question at present.

And of course you overlook the fact that Skylum called the thing a DAM in the first place and have retreated to Library recently. That suggests an attempt to water-down expectations. I suspect all this speak about speed is also just a smoke screen - how fast do you really need to go!

So indeed yes - where is the LR equivalent that was promised.

Christoph Haug

I appreciate all the hopeful voices here - I'd like to be hopeful myself - but I'm engaging a lot with various software companies/ developers and have developed a good sense for predicting eventual outcomes based on how the company communicates with its users and I'm afraid that Skylum ticks quite a lot of boxes on the "this is going to be a painful journey" side. So I can't help but keep my expectations rather low.

For me, the question is: will Luminar eventually be abke to replace lightroom for people like me who don't have pro-grade requirements for DAM. (It seems clear that it will never be for most professionals).

But when I read that they can't even answer, at this point, whether Luminar Libraries will support such a basic feature EXIF editing, I'm just speechless. For two reasons: their unwillingness to communicate and the fact that it's even an option for them to release a DAM module that does not support EXIF editing.

Tony Collins

The library module in lighroom *is* where you manage your digital assets. And there was NO promise about what the functionality of the DAM would be - certainly not that it would be the same as LR. There was no LR equivalent promised. What was offered was an alternative.

Colin Grant

The implication was clearly that Luminar would be an equivalent/viable alternative after all people are not going to jump ship for something that is less capable than they already use. There was also that ridiculous comparison chart that showed what LR did not have but Luminar did but did not show what LR had that Luminar did not. The entire advertising campaign was at best doubtful and given the number of refunds that have probably been made I suspect Skylum know this.

Kevin Skarbek

I'm sure time will tell but has there been any word if you will be able to import your current LR catalog with edits into your library?  I spent a lot of time creating the LR catalog with all my tags, rating and edits. I have a large NAS so everything is stored as a raw file so not to have destructive edits.  It would be oh so nice just to import it from LR and not loose any of my work.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kevin,

The initial release of the Luminar Library will not have a Lightroom migration tool, but we'll likely add one in the future.

Niranjan Acharya

whats the ETA for the Luminar update / release?

Angela Andrieux

@Niranjan Acharya - The update with the Luminar Library will be released by the end of the year.

Bjarne Winkler

Do not get me wrong I too are looking forward to the next release later this year which I have been told will still be called Luminar 2018 (for Windows in my case).  I could really care less about the new stuff, I would be a happy user if I could get some of the current stuff working, like this one:

This simple option Open | Open Images does not work.  Yes, in the Mac version it will give you the option to Open Images.  Notice this is plural, meaning you can select a one or a group of pictures to open.  Well, in the Windows version the option is as you can see in plural, but the Windows version cannot open more than one image.

So how do you do batch correction.  You open one image and hope that is a good representation of your batch, not sure which part of Luminar you use to select the best single image.  You then do the corrections and you save the correction in a “Preset”.  Now you can open the batch procession and apply this new “Preset” to the batch.  Most of you guys a much smarter than me, since I do not get the correction correct in the first try and therefor I have to go back and load the single images again with the new “Preset” to fix what I did not get right.  This type of correction of my sports picture takes so long that I miss my deadline for suppling my shots to the TV news director – this is not going to work.

Now think that the above must also work with “Libraries” – dream on.  Skylum need to fix the single image work are first before even thinking that “Libraries” will work!

Tony Collins

@kevin - while it might be possible at some time in the future to import your LR catalogue with tags and ratings etc - I think it is extremely unlikely you'll be able to copy your edits. Luminar has a fundamentally different set of tools - and a different raw processing engine - compared with lightroom. Even if Skylum implemented some sort of equivalence - it is very unlikely the end result would be the same as you see in LR.

Bjarne Winkler

@Tony Collins, if I can correct you.  The tags and ratings have nothing to do with the underling graphic processing engine.  It is a simple database issue, so it come down to do Skylum want to do a little bit of reversed engineering or not.

Bjarne Winkler

To increase the speed, we work with, everything is streamlined in Luminar 2018 for Windows – not so fast.

So, you are ready to save the edit picture and you have the above Black Dialog Box with white Text displayed.  Skylum have never tested this, if they had they would know that you can see the Black Cursor so altering a part of the filename is a gamble.
    Can we get that fixed in the next release?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bjarne - I will certainly pass your suggestion to our developers for their consideration (I can see how the black cursor could be problematic on a gray background), but I cannot guarantee that it will be fixed in the next update.

Please sign in to leave a comment.