New Luminar with Libraries, No Paid Upgrades, and MORE!

Pinned Featured

Comments

150 comments

Jerry Dean

Great news and a positive outcome to everyone's. worries.  I am looking forward to the new version!

Peter Hanmore

This is great news!  It's nice to have some concrete details about the new release and a clearer roadmap of what's to come.  Kudos for making the upgrades free for 2019 - I"m sure that will be welcome news to a lot of users.

Will you be posting a more detailed feature list of what will be in Libraries?  I'm especially interested in being able to use multiple search criteria to find photos and being able to apply specific filters to a group of photos.

Any way to still be involved in this or future betas?

Jeffrey Raines

Sounds good to me. The importance of feedback to customers is paramount. Obviously people are quite frustrated and your comments have established a roadmap for future events. If Skylum can keep us fully up to date with events, I am sure there will be a great many satisfied customers at the end of the day, whose expectations will have been fulfilled.

Denis Kotsee

We will be posting more details, news, and updates in the new section on our website mentioned in the post. Email us at support@skylum.com and we'll add your email to the list of candidates for the beta.

K.G. Wuensch

Sorry, the first screenshot shows exactly what's wrong with your file browser. The line height is highly inconsistent and as a consequence images that should be shown with equal size previews get previews with highly varying sizes. That is idiotic in any organizational tool!

Roman Augustyn

Great news! I'm sure everybody is looking forward to seeing the feature list of the library module and how it will fit to our workflows.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

Well, good to hear you are implementing the upgrades with no payment till the end of 2019.

There are lots of rough edges in Luminar 2018, things that would work OK but don't. Several of them of great importance for a photo editor like correct color management.

The DAM is another thing that was promised quite long time ago and has been posponed several times, so a time for trying and polising it after putting it in the market would be needed.

I understand that things don't work always as planned, so posponing the advent of Luminar 2019 and giving users most of 2019 to upgrade without payment is a good policy. Thank you.

Let's see if major bugs and problems present in the software are mostly corrected mean while.

There is a point in your message that worries me: you say you are going to implement AI to process images.

AI may be great sometimes when you are in a hurry,  but most serious photographer's want to know what they are doing in their photos.

I don't want another app with intelligent filters that make your portraits look great (and your skin look like plastic). There are dozens of it, google play is full of them.

I want a serious developing and retouching app.

If there are intelligent filters (like current AI filter) great, as long as you can have control of your workflow and don't use them if you don't want.

Best results and best photos do not outcome from authomated software.

I like taking photos myself and deciding what to do to them.

Roman Augustyn

@K.G.

Well, I'm not aware of any strict rule that the image's previews have to be equal size, who cares? as long as the previews provide us with the functionality we need.

And you actually don't know, maybe the system will give you an option to make the previews equal or variable size so calling it "idiotic" is a bit presumptuous on your part. Lets be positive and first see what features are coming and then we constructively comment on them.... just a thought.

John Tweddell

That’s good news. It has been frustrating, but giving us a year without a paid upgrade is great for people like me on a limited budget ( 50 plus years as a professional photographer, but now 76, retired on a small pension, but still devoted to photography) I started with a 5by4 “speed graphic” hand held camera, through to early digital adopter. I still use Apple Aperture but desperate to change to your new DAM. If you are looking for more beta testers, I am in!

Colin Grant

That is excellent news. I just cannot believe you did not take this more open approach ages ago. I took a refund on Luminar because you did not deliver. This is far more promising and I am temped to come back into the fold. It is not an easy decision as there have new many broken promises in the past. I have always believed the software had promise, it was the other things that got me.....and many, many others.

Could you answer one question on functionality - will it provide full exif/IPTC editing, including tagging and location mapping? If so I'm probably back in.

K.G. Wuensch

@Roman, think about the needed functionality a file browser needs to fulfil if you want to cull or select images from a shoot. First and foremost it needs to be able to give you an unbiased view of the images - and having the line height vary is just not going to fulfil that brief, ever. It‘s an unusable design which will have cost them a lot of time (especially if they try to make that mess fast), time they could have spent fixing long standing issues like the missing color management, the messed up crop tool, the lack of influence on the RAW noise reduction (which renders the whole DAM unusable all by itself)... I could continue that list for quite a while. 

Brian Ramage

another Aperture user! ...hooray

as for the "standard sizing" I guess that comes from years ago with negatives and contact sheets. as someone looking over a series of similar shots, a quick scan of ALL the same size makes no image stand out purely on size relative to others (possibly showing more light even if the exact same exposure/lighting but a larger image shows more light coming through)

I could see AI being used as you are editing a set of photos and it picks up on how you are editing a scene/photoshoot and adjusts the rest to a similar style. I know not every adjustment would follow through but perhaps the White Balance Temp would adjust on the fly, or exposure as it sees you are post processing a few at a similar style. (sure you could Copy & Paste but maybe you didn't). BUT just saying "AI Filter" really doesn't explain much. I know in the beginning I would use presets and then "decode" what they were doing and how/why the photo adjusted with each setting.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

I can't share that info quite yet but we'll certainly give you the opportunity to do a trial before you re-purchase once the Luminar Library update is released.

Colin Grant

Not a lot has changed then has it! You are sharing nothing but trying it seems to generate revenue by offering a reduced price.......but for what. Seems no more than a glorified image browser. Sorry if I sound suspicious but there is not a lot there to give one faith in Skylum, especially given your track history. Where is the road map or what hope is there when at this late stage you cannot answer a question on basic functionality such as EXIF? 

Bjarne Winkler

Boy, writing is easy, delivery not so much.  It is still unclear what will happen to the not Windows compliant Luminar 2018 for Windows and its future.  In all the reading I have been able to do I see two different version (see postings https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360022362811-Remember-the-exported-Filename-?page=1#community_comment_360002355612)

Nancy Goodenough

I am delighted you are doing things to bring those who left Luminar in frustration back to the fold. I am Mac, so have been happy with each upgrade and use Luminar and Aurora regularly. Looking forward to your DAM/Libraries. I know it's too early to tell me, yet I want to know if I can import images from a card and choose to have them DEFAULT to folders (or whatever you call them) BY DATE, and the ability to rename that folder so I can add location(s) to the dated folder name. Like LR. I have half a million images in LR, so need to keep certain conventions. Thanks for listening. And thanks for bringing this out soon. Nancy

Jennifer Wolf

As someone who's first DAM was Aperture I'm excited to see similarities.  I've continually struggled to work with any other DAM having been spoiled it seems by the functionality and customizability that Aperture provided, especially regarding import options.  Capture One 11 comes close but still misses the mark for me.

It still blows my mind that Lightroom couldn't use a Photoshop file as a watermark, adjust time zones on import or show you the active focus points just to mention a few features.  All things the first version of Aperture could do.

I'm looking forward to what is to come.

Christoph Haug

As many others have noted, the UI is a huge disappointment (based on the speed text video) and the delay isn't great either, but I have to say that the decision regarding the free upgrades is fair. I interpret it as a sign that management is aware of the huge discontent that has been building up and that has been further fuelled by the disappointing UI video a few days ago. 

But if you want to make Luminar the success that you've been suggesting it will be, I think you still need to get much better in listening to and interacting with the community, especially when it comes to crucial decisions such as UI design. These can no longer be made by designers behind closed doors. See https://ideamotive.co/blog/design-thinking-in-software-development/ 

K.G. Wuensch

@Christoph, I concur - the problem to me is that nobody who is a heavy DAM user has been involved in the design of the new DAM, else such bad UI decisions never would have happened.

To the casual user who has a few snapshots a day this may seem like a nice UI but once you get into for example a series of shots with similar but not identical subjects then you need to have an UI that allows you to spot the differences between the shots. For example I have panning shots of F1 cars, some of which bottomed out under load and the skid blocks hit the tarmac and produced a set of really nice looking sparks. If looking at the shots at consistent size I need to select the size so that even in the previews I can see those sparks. Or in a series of shots of a long feeler grasshopper you need to be able to see where the feelers end in selecting the shot(s) to edit further. With inconsistent sized previews as shown by the screenshot and the UI video from a few days ago you can't rely on Luminar to show those differences consistently, thus clearly showing that cardinal errors were made in the basic design of that feature. That should never have happened and the latest this should have been caught would have been an alpha release to someone who uses a DAM daily if they haven't one in the company.

John Hanlon

As a registered Luminar owner, I'm a little disappointed that I have never heard a thing from Skylum since the day I bought the program. I would never had known of this upgrade had someone not posted it on a photography web site. I routinely receive info and updates from other software companies, Makes me second guess my purchase. 

Fede Rangthino

Great news!!!

Denis Kotsee

@John Hanlon we always send newsletters, updates and special offers to the emails that were used to purchase our products, unless the email owner unsubscribes.

Tom Murray

Looks a bit different here with al the photos the same dimensions.

Bjarne Winkler

Guys here is the difference between Skylum and a real company that really cares about its customers.

@Denis Kotsee point out to that the reason that @John Hanlon most likely have not received any email notification is that John may have unsubscribed – end of story.

A company that cares about its customers would have research what Johns statute was and reported that and if needed would have fixed it so John would become a very happy customer.

See if you can do that for your paying costumer then why would one think that you would pay attention to the issue that has been reported about the Luminar 2018 for Windows version.

However, November is going to really tell where Skylum is putting its money, I really pray that I would be proved so wrong and have to eat dirt since that would benefit the Post-Production world!   

John Robinson

Oh no. I've suddenly felt a chill in my bones. The latest emailed message from Skylum now talks about 'Luminar with Libraries' and Alexis says, "Libraries will be powerful right out of the gate, but it represents the first of many photo organization and management updates launching over the following months. ... The first version of Libraries in Luminar ... " 

Does this all mean we are getting only part of a DAM this year? I am bound to be sceptical when terminology changes and Skylum is gaining a reputation for not keeping promises.

Incidentally, the email came into my email box the same day that I updated to Apples's new OS - Mojave. Apple said it would deliver in the Fall. It did. Dark Mode for Photos is a welcome change. Luminar 2018 and my remaining extensions from Creative Kit by MacPhun work happily within Mojave.

Perhaps Skylum should think about why Apple has been so successful and see what good practices it can adopt. 

Carsten Scholl

Can't wait to see the new Luminar. Will there be a import function (database, etc from Lightroom)? Can picture settings be adopted from Lightroom (development, library settings, tags, etc.)? 

Jens Hauser

This is really great news. I have used Luminar for some time now and I just love it but I am missing the DAM part from Lightroom. The only problem I have at the moment is to get Luminar 2018 to work on my Mac. I just stopped working and I have to look into what is wrong

Angela Andrieux

@Carsten - The initial release will not have a Lightroom migration tool, but we'll likely implement one in the future.

Angela Andrieux

@Jens - I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with Luminar on your Mac! Please email us at support@skylum.com or start a new thread in the Luminar for Mac section here in the forums and we'll see if we can sort it out.

Christoph Haug

No, of course Luminar DAM won't have a migration tool for now. Why would it? Just a couple of weirdos waiting to migrate their stuff over from lightroom, so who cares. Maybe later? Yes, no problem, I can wait another year or two. So many things to do in life, why play with your photos?

Please sign in to leave a comment.