Aperture Library

Comments

25 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Michael,

The initial release of the Luminar Library won't have a migration tool for Aperture. For now, we recommend organizing your images into folders for import into the Luminar Library once it is released.

Comment actions Permalink
    Tim Trim

Capture one supports migration of Aperture library and will maintain some adjustments.

Pricey but you get what you pay for in my opinion. I’ve not opened Luminar since buying C1, I couldn’t wait for the DAM in Luminar any longer. Lots of really good support on Phase One site and also on YouTube AlexonRAW.

cc

Hi Angela,

Is there any folder structure in particular that would be best for Luminar Libraries? Would folders simply for year and month be sufficient? How about for sorting raws and jpgs?

Thanks.

Angela Andrieux

@csc - Folders for year and month would be quite sufficient. I would keep raws and jpgs side by side so you can compare it to the original quickly and easily and go back and re-edit the original if desired.

Brian Ramage

Good thought on saving/exporting RAW and JPG.

so, the RAW is the original (unedited version)

the JPG is the Aperture Edited version.

This way, you can then reedit, if you prefer within Luminar?

Angela Andrieux

@Brian - Correct - the raw would be your original, unedited version. And the JPG would be the Aperture edit.

I would personally choose TIFF over JPG, though. JPG is a lossy format, meaning once you commit an image to JPG all of the extra data is thrown away and you'll have a reduction in image quality every time you edit it. With a TIFF, you'll be able to preserve all of the original image data in case you prefer to use your edited image as your starting point for a re-edit, rather than going all the way back to your raw file. You can always export a JPG later if you want to share online/email/etc.

The down side is that it will take up quite a bit more space on your hard drive to save TIFFs instead of JPGs. It is a personal decision - but I usually choose the option that will give me the most flexibility moving forward, even if I have to go buy another external hard drive.

I hope that helps!

Dann Lavery

@Angela - As most digital cameras record video, will "Luminar Libraries" be capable of cataloguing video files?  I personally don't shoot much video right now but it may happen in the future.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dann - The Luminar Library initial release will not catalog video, but that functionality will likely be added at some point.

David Adams

This is a real disappointment. I was so excited when I got the email about DAM, but no migration tool from Aperture? Huge disappointment.

Neil Laubenthal

How about Lightroom CC Libraries? Will they be supported and if so will they be imported into Luminar and hence result in a duplicate originals folder structure or will Luminar import them while leaving the originals in place and just referring to a a single copy of the original. If it's the latter…if one goes back and forth between LR and Luminar will each app keep it's image database (not the originals) in place and recognize any originals that were added to the library by the other application?

Thanks.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Neil,

The initial release will not include a Lightroom migration tool, but we'll likely add that in the future. Once the Library is released I suggest choosing to do your cataloging in one app. If you prefer to stay with Lightroom for your asset management you'll still be able to use Luminar as a plugin in the same way you do now.

Neil Laubenthal

I guess I'll have to do that…at least until the DAM feature in Luminar grows up a bit…I've got years of high end amateur images in LR and I'm reasonably sure that at least initially the DAM features in Luminar will lag behind, have bugs that need to get sorted out, and the like. I'll still play with it a bit once it's released but I would think that not too many of your users will abandon a tried and true workflow for a v1.0 (the DAM, not Luminar) feature.

I'm not a software writer…but assuming Luminar will keep the originals in some location and just have the equivalent of a LR catalog to keep track of them…so it seems like using the existing LR originals structure ought to work…albeit with perhaps using the Sync Folders feature in LR to catch up on any changes Luminar made and a similar command in Luminar for any changes that LR makes.

I'm not asking for you to coexist with LR's catalog structure…just the existing structure of years/months or whatever folder structure a user has for the original RAW files on disk…those are completely separate from the LR catalog…and probably from the Luminar "catalog" as well unless you're using the same crappy method for original storage that Aperture used when it stuck everything inside a .pkg file with completely arbitrary internal to the .pkg folders and filenames that made no sense outside of Aperture.

Tom James

It’s disappointing that there will be no migration tool for Aperture or, indeed, for Lightroom in the new DAM.. The suggestion that we should start converting our library to a folder structure really implies that we will have to abandon Aperture adjustments and start again from scratch with the RAW versions. Looks like I’ll be hanging onto Aperture for my existing library in the possiblyvain hope that some enterprising developer meets the demand. To end on a positive note, I really do love Luminar and its user friendly interface. I have copies of Affinity and On1 but neither are so easy to use as Luminar.

Matthieu Kopp

We (https://cyme.io) are working on a tool to transfer Aperture libraries to other DAMs (including some of the tonal / color edits and organization structure). Drop us a line and stay tuned ! We are currently investigating the feasibility of transfering to Luminar 3 (even if the Luminar DAM is really in its infancy).

Brian Ramage

@Matthieu that does sound encouraging. I think the hard part of transferring OUT of Aperture is having an updated "library" in the current DAM. 

now looking at other DAM options and trying to figure out which direction to go...or if in multiple directions.

Matthieu Kopp

@Brian Thanks. What do you mean by 'having an updated library in the current DAM' ? Are you referring to the potential difficulties of running Aperture itself ? We are not relying on a working copy of Aperture...only the library file in its current state.

Sorry if I misunderstood your point.

Brian Ramage

when I find a replacement for aperture I’d like to move my files over to a new DAM.

Some people say leave aperture library alone or bring into Photos. Some say to save as JPG and bring into the new DAM. Some say to bring in originals RAW and simply re-Edit.

What would be nice (and probably too difficult) would be for the New DAM to ‘read’ the aperture library and use AI on previews to magically adjust a RAW to [almost] match the aperture preview. OnOne PhotoRaw 2019 claims to do something similar with AI from a Lightroom library.

Over the years I have gone back to review and sometimes process/edit again when I realize a better adjustment. Though maybe after 5 years I bite the bullet and just save out a flattened/edit file and move on.

Matthieu Kopp

@Brian,

This is exactly the kind of 'magic' that we are looking to deliver. We use AI to find what are the adjustments to be applied in the new DAM in order to retrieve the same aspect for the migrated picture. It works well in a lot of cases but it would be lying to say that it works 100% of the time. But when a migrated image might be too much off, we flag it by putting it in a special album for you to review. Stay tuned on cyme.io to get updates as we near our release date.

Best regards and happy holidays.

Matthew Stough

I’m with you David Adams. I was extremely disappointed Skylum (remember, birth on Mac as MacPhun) decided to ignore us photographers who always preferred Aperture over subscription ware Adobe or others. Luminar jumped out ahead trying to capture converters and I was intrigued. When DAM discussion picked up, I was now excited.  So Luminar 3 appears without an Aperture converter, and to rub salt into the wound, they’re working on a Lightroom converter!  Time to do what others have bravely done, explore Capture and others who DO care.

Francis Mariani

Us Apple Aperture users have been ignored by most of the image editing programs, except Adobe Lightroom, Capture One Pro and Mylio - these programs import most of the Aperture metadata and some of the edits. Many don't want to migrate to Adobe Lightroom, Capture One Pro is an expensive proposition and Mylio isn't a sophisticated image editor, though it has other interesting features. This leaves many of us out in the cold. Luminar promised a DAM for over a year, and they did not deliver. The anxiety us Apple Aperture users have felt has been going on for over two years, so, Matthieu Kopp, how long do we "stay tuned"? 

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Everyone, 

Your request has been forwarded to the person in charge but for now, we don't have any exact information or ETA. 

Michael Ehrlich

Hi, 

I started this thread, it would be nice to have some idea of when we can expect the features that we are all desperate for. I have 125,000 images in aperture and we are now being told by apple that the next ios update will stop Aperture working.

Please, Please can we have a little info as there are lots of people in this situation who are getting worried about a way forwards.

Cheers

Mike

Matthieu Kopp

@Francis  Hello, and thank you for provoking the reply. We are in a position to seed the first beta of our new software - Avalanche - in the coming days. In its planned v1 release, it reads natively from a number of DAMs (Aperture, Lightroom) and allows to migrate metadata and edits to a new DAM. Currently we support Lightroom and Folder/Files as an output and plan of course to add more input sources and output DAMs. 

I cannot comment on the possibility to export to Luminar yet but everything is ready on our side. ;-)

Francis Mariani

Matthieu, Lightroom can already import an Aperture Library. What goes in the Folder/Files output? I have set up Aperture with Referenced Images, so I have folders/files at the moment, though these only contain the images, not the metadata. Aperture can export metadata, though I don't know what one can do with the exported file(s).

Matthieu Kopp

@Francis.

You are right in a way, but all these import procedures lose your edits. Look at the samples below.

Migrating also deserves a proper treatment of your metadata : the Aperture importer in LR handles stacks, faces, etc... as keywords. Clearly your catalogs deserve a better treatment. Not to mention how slow and sometimes unreliable these imports are when dealing with large catalogs.

I do believe that if you consider a transfer of your photos to any DAM seriously, including Luminar, you'd expect these edits to be carried across as much as possible, and the metadata to be translated into appropriate concepts in the new host (stacks, collections, keywords, faces,...)

To answer your questions about Files/Folders: this export allows to extract the images in bulk from the Aperture database with an XML sidecar. If you already use referenced images (aka stored outside Aperture), this will not be of use to you. 

Kind regards

Please sign in to leave a comment.