A sneak peek at the new Luminar with Libraries

Comments

17 comments

Tom Pickering

This is what all the hubub is about?  All the things in Luminar that need to be addressed and have been pushed aside in order to bring us this by the end of the year?  Really??? <...sigh...>

Comment actions Permalink
    K.G. Wuensch

Had you released the video months ago then you wouldn‘t have put that much effort into a browser which is basically useless when you got someone not buying assorted unordered images but rather shoots his own images and thus has images that need culling - the mess you show with the layout resetting itself several times in the first few seconds reeks of „reactive design“ which works soso on websites but usually is a complete dud if the data exceeds a few 100 images, because every time you delete a single image the layout will reset, the position of the scrollbar is unpredictable because the ordering of portrait and landscape images is having an influence on how many images fit onto a single line.

What’s worse though is that you scale individual lines vastly differently - so to make it a horizontal fit a line with 2 landscape images get’s scaled much larger than the line above containing two landscape and one portrait oriented images. That’s so effing stupid that it should never have been coded! Looking at the video there are lines of images which are barely half the height than other lines! 

Michael Anderson

I have an image browser in Finder that lets me see the jpg preview images in my raw files.   Something tells me that is all that Luminar browser was doing in the video.   It was not rending high quality previews from edited raw files at that speed correct?   

Brian Ramage

I agree that their video should show a photographers catalog where there are many of a similar shot, or a photoshoot in general. it is hard to really understand a catalog/DAM that shows such a variety of images. I notice this with many DAMs in previews.

I may take a bunch of photos varying the shutter speed, or aperture to see the effect. and then in post, sort through my files in Aperture...still using what still works to cull my photos and edit within the same application.

The video promo is rather confusing to try and visualize any differences in images. this is FINE for Flickr, as it is a showcase of "the best" but not for a DAM.

K.G. Wuensch

@Brian, my biggest fear is not just the line height and preview size variance (that‘s already quite a ludicrous sacrifice of the usability to gain a bit of unnecessary eye candy) - there are clearly shots shown in the video that are from the same photographer, same camera, only minutes apart and yet they are not shown as a series of consecutive shots but dispersed randomly among the other photographer‘s inages... Since that is supposed to be the file browser then something weird is going on with regard to the image ordering!

Brian Ramage

@ K.G.

YES!!!!! I too noticed that. I see that the folder/library said something like favorite or or Liked photos. 

I want to see a Photoshoot set. like. 2018.09.03_Trip To Beach....then see a series of shots taken then in order.

Another thought I had was, I wonder if this new DAM with "amazing features" not seen before would try to use AI and GROUP alike shots, and then pick a shot to show but then somehow still show a stack of very similar shots. THAT would be interesting. Like Apple's Camera App/Photos app shows a BURST and then tries to pick the best shot using AI. 

But to your point, I sometimes quickly go back and forth over a series of photos to pick the best shot to then edit.

I probably should have bought the On1 deal today. that one clearly said BUY 2018 and get the next MAJOR release free....sounds like a good deal.

Houssam Ghandour

@alina how can we get a beta to test please?

Denis Kotsee

There's no open beta available at the moment.

Houssam Ghandour

please keep us posted when available or should you require any users to test the beta for you...

Marc Peeters

Better a product that really works ( needs time to do that) than a half - backed product.

So patience is needed.

I am sure of it that everything becomes OK!!!!!!

Gabe Flicker

If Luminar can put together an adequate Libraries program they will have a real winner on their hands.  Dont worry about lightroom migration.  Learn to use it and then migrate what you need.

Colin Grant

If Luminar can put together? Clearly they have not done so thus far. I can never see Luminar being more than an excellent  LR/Affinity etc plugin. They should provide an option to turn the library off. Then they should forget about it and go and do some real development. Luminar started as a plugin with stand-alone capabilities and that is where it should remain. It is quite capable of turning out results every bit as good as DxO Nik.

So Skylum, forget the LR alternative rubbish, admit your mistake (we all know about it anyway) and go back to doing what you did best.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

For users who wish to continue using Lightroom as their DAM, they'll still be able to use Luminar as a plugin as they do now.

Colin Grant

Good to know, Angela. Will the new Library always be visible or will it just be something like a tab that can be ignored?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

If you're using it as a plugin the Library tab will be grayed out so you can just ignore it.

Gabe Flicker

I find it interesting that an individuals who uses a product would beleive that they know what a company should do or make inferences that because a company sets aside other matters to accomplish a goal that ignored  demons must be lurking.  I've migrated some of my work from LR to Luminar and expect to do even more so in the future.  This is not a trade war between compaies. One is not best for all.  In fact competition makes each one better. People process solutions in various ways and personally I like how Luminar does many things. I have never seen a professional gallery that says..... Powered by Lightoom.... or....Made Possible by Luminar.  Photographers can express talent through both. But lets also not forget the need to get better behind the camera. Perhaps that is the one thing we can all agree upon. 

Colin Grant

What on earth are you talking about Gabe, there are people on here who were promised functionality in Luminar 2017 that is still not here so they were sold software under very doubtful circumstances. That functionality is still not here and in addition the DAM has become a basic browser it seems. This has nothing to do with taking better pictures but everything to with Skylum’s claim that Luminar was comparable, if not better, that Lr. It is not and in my view will never be so. Also the new version launches in under a month but no specifications have been published that I have seen. People have every right to be unhappy and not trust the company. The road back will not be an easy one.

Skylum have said they have listened to customer complaints and are changing. Let us hope that is true for as I have said many, many times - whilst I do not see Luminar being an alternative to LR any time soon it remains a fine plugin/stand alone editor for those special enhancements. I say that from the perspective of a Mac user.

Please sign in to leave a comment.