BUG: Undo in masking

Answered

Comments

17 comments

Daniel Scholz

Hi Matt, we're going to investigate this case further. Please specify the following two things: 1. Operating System 2. Is it Luminar or Aurora HDR? Thank you in advance! 

Comment actions Permalink
    Matt Savard

It is in the latest release of Luminar and it is in Windows 10.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Thank you for the explanation. This is the way the app works. However, I have forwarded your suggestion to our technical department for further consideration to add new functionality. It can take some time as far as the DAM is our major priority now.

Matt Savard

Is this how it works in the Mac version?

Anastasia Davis

@Matt Yes, on Mac version the hotkey undo the last brush stroke, thus, it works properly. We are sorry for the inconveniences. We are working so to bring both versions to a parity in the future. 

K.G. Wuensch

@Nastia, @Anna - so what‘s true, that it is a feature suggestion or that it‘s part of the lacking feature parity between platforms? If it‘s the latter then you have been lying (or don’t know your own products and can’t be bothered to check - I don’t know what’s worse) because the tech department you forwarded the request to must have told you that it‘s working like that on MacOS and that they are already working on getting that to work properly on Windows.

What does that tell us about the other instances where „this is being forwarded to the developers“? 

Tom Pickering

Imagine how the DAM is going to be on the Windows platform if they can't reach parity on even the simplest of things.

Dave C

Wow this bug is really annoying.  Today I was working with the brush tool on a filter mask in Luminar for like 15 mins.  I hit CTRL-z to undo my last brush stroke and the whole mask I just spent all that time on just went away with no way to recover it.  This should be a priority bug to fix as it makes the app very cumbersome to use without brush stroke undo capability.

Martial Fournier

J'ai l'impression que luminar sous la plate -forme windows sera toujours en retard par rapport à Mac

Daniel Scholz

@Martial - we'll do our best to eliminate the difference as much as we can, this might of course take some time, but we're working hard on it.

Martial Fournier

Merci de la réponse, j'espère que c'est une réalité.

Cordialement, Martial

Guy M

This is still an issue 7 months after being reported. I am currently testing Luminar 3 on Windows 10, but there is no way I am buying it if simple bugs like this aren't fixed after 7 months.

It is not good that pressing undo undoes everything from your last filter and not the last brush stroke. And, as above, there is no way to redo and get it back.

Undo should simply undo your last action, whatever that was. Redo should redo the last undo. This is how every program I've ever used works... Apart from Luminar.

Collin Knapp

I am still having this issue on windows. I cannot undo individual brush stokes when masking. I bought this program specifically for the sky replacement to use in real estate photography, which doesn't work exactly as I've seen it advertised, the sky covers up major objects with lots of contrast like tree trunks and houses which are easily differentiated between in the select color range option of photoshop. It still saves me a decent amount of time over using photoshop if I use the gradient mask option but I have to mask out some edges of houses and trees and if i mess up, i can't undo my brush strokes.

I really need to be able to do this and it has been over a year since this thread was started.

Helena Carter

Hi Colin,

We plan adding the ability to undo individual brush strokes in one of the next updates, so it will be implemented pretty soon. Please, stay tuned!

Collin Knapp

That's great thank you!

I apologize if I seemed annoyed or pushy. I'm sure the devs are working hard and I have no idea how any of this stuff works. The more I work with the sky replacement, the more impressed I am. It doesn't work in every situation but for most of my exterior shots I'm able to save a lot of time with it.

I also wanted to add, I noticed that it's not just the brush stokes that I am unable to undo, I can't undo anything when masking, such as accidental rotations of the gradient mask.

Also, It would also be nice to set the default mask brush opacity or to have it default to 100% instead of 50%, and with the sky replacement, it'd be cool to have a blend option, as well as a total replacement option, as sometimes I can still see clouds through the new sky. Another idea is to have an option to simply adjust the exposure/contrast etc.. and the HSL/color of the sky instead of outright replacing it.

Just some ideas from a user.

I'm looking forward to the new update! The sky replacement is such a cool idea and I'm excited to see it evolve.

Kate Williams

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Colin! 

You are right, the undo shortcut is not enabled for any steps you do while using masks. 

However, as my colleague Helena says, soon you'll be able to do revert the changes when masking in a much more efficient way. Our team is already working on it. 

As far as your further comments are concerned: 

If your original clouds are bleeding through the replaced sky, you may want to experiment with the following sliders: 

• Sky Global. This affects how the texture is mixed into the scene. A higher value will increase the amount of new sky that is added.
    • Sky Local. This slider is useful to control the overlap of the new sky with the original clouds. This slider is designed to influence how much the original clouds are replaced.

This also needs to be checked on our end - we're currently improving the algorithms of AI Sky Replacement, so we'd highly appreciate it if you could contact us at https://skylum.com/support and send us the samples where the original skies are not fully replaced this way: 

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it may ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support

Another kind reminder is that you can use AI Sky Enhancer (in the Essentials tab) to improve the original sky automatically. 

I'll also make sure to share your suggestion regarding the default brush opacity with our devs. 

Again, thanks for your insights :) 

Danie Guenter

I'd really like to see undo in masking implemented soon. Also it would be nice to have some indicator of where the mask is applying. This is one of those last must have features before I can truly switch away from Lightroom.

Please sign in to leave a comment.