Focus Stacking

Answered

Comments

28 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jeff,

At this time there is no dedicated focus stacking tool in Luminar. However, you can use the Add New Image Layer option to layer images and then manually align them and blend them together. It is pretty labor intense, though.

Comment actions Permalink
    Mark Dodd

Although I would prefer an option to Auto Align images added as layers, I would like to know how you do the "Manual" alignment in Luminar. It may be obvious to others, but I'm just missing how you move the image in the layer in Luminar.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mark,

For the manual alignment I would lower the opacity of the new Image Layer so you can see both the original and layered image, and then use the Free Transform tool to move the new image layer into place. I hope that helps!

Michael Sonshine

The Transform tool would be easier to use if L3 left the selected blend mode in place when using it, but unfortunately it does not. 

If you layer different shots in L3 and change the blend mode to difference you can see where the images differ very easily and it should be easy to move one image to align with another, but the Transform tool changes the blend mode. I can do this, using the difference blend mode, in Photoshop or Affinity Photo, and it should work in Luminar as well, but L3 forces the blend mode back to Normal when you invoke the Transform tool.

Denis Kotsee

We'll address this in upcoming updates for Luminar, our current focus is stability and performance improvements.

Art Yeo

Is there such a tool available in Luminar3?

Michael Sonshine

Not at this time.

This thread was mostly about how to do focus stacking manually using the Transform tool in L3. I do any focus stacking I need in either Photoshop or Affinity Photo, but Skylum may add a Focus Stacking tool later in the development cycle.

Paulius Stančiauskas

Please, add focus stacking feature ir L3. Also panorama stiching would be very nice to have :)

Michael Sonshine

At present the only way to do this sort of thing is to call Photoshop or Lightroom. It would be nice if L3 allowed users to select their own external editor so people could use lower cost editors like Affinity Photo or PhotoLine to do stuff that is not built into L3.

David Martin

"It would be nice if L3 allowed users to select their own external editor so people could use lower cost editors like Affinity Photo or PhotoLine to do stuff that is not built into L3."

Agree!!

Geoff blackman

Until L3 comes up with the ability to Focus stack, try "Picolay". This is a free program and has some limitations especially in file types but performs well. I think it was originally intended for macro photography but works well for landscape. It will also do colour based stacking, 3D images and a few other functions as well.

Greg Ghia

Any update on potential of focus stack development? I’d love this for both macro and landscape photography and right now I’m paying Adobe $9.99 per month. Shame. Aside from not wanting to hand Adobe my money the work flow of LR to PS to L3 is not ideal.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Greg! 
    At the moment we don't have the timeline for that. There are some other tasks which require some immediate actions.
    Stay tuned!

I agree focus stacking is simply a must for photo editing software these days. For heaven's sake, it can be done in-camera in many cases. Panorama stitching is also needed.

And while I'm at it, showing the focus point(s) would be great. I'm a former Nikon user and found this enormously helpful for several reasons. Come to think of it, my Olympus software also displays the FP.

And, why doesn't the INFO show me what mode the camera was in for the picture? That is almost a criminal omission.

And finally, the ability to attach tags to photos singularly or in batch mode can't come soon enough.

Otherwise, the program is pretty good.

Helga Rowles

Hi, thanks a lot for your suggestions! I'll make sure we have them on our list of features to consider. 

I hope you'll do more than consider. I'm not the only one desiring these features. I'd say the tagging and stacking are probably the most requested.

Anyway, let me clarify what I mean by INFo not showing the camera mode. The INFO should include A, S, P, or M in the window. Knowing you were shooting in S mode and your aperture and ISO values provide a wealth of information on what you did right, or wrong to get proper exposure. To not have that information means you're basically in the dark about how the picture was made. That is inexcusable. Every photographer needs that information to hand.

As it is, I'm fortunate in that I can open my Olympus software on one monitor and Luminar on another and get the missing info that way. I'm willing to bet most people using the Luminar won't be so lucky or even want the hassle. 

Let's be real, most people buy Luminar because it's cheaper than LR or PS and doesn't come with the monthly ransom demand. Ease of use is also a factor so please, make it easier!

Florian Konrad

Hi there

any news on the Photo Stacking feature yet?

Anyone delving in HDR, Macro, or Astrophotography would really apreciate this feature.

James Kamieniecki

I am very much interested in photo stacking.  I am not interested in purchasing Photoshop.

Elena Blum

Hi,

I could definitely see how you would want to have a feature like that. But right now, we don’t have anything like that in place. Currently, this feature is not compatible with our product’s developing plans. Nevertheless, we are an innovative, ‘space-age’ variety enterprise, so you may see this or other imaginative introductions in our future products.

Sven Witter

The lack of the stacking function is a point why I am thinking about a Adobe subscription :( 

Would be great to have this function in on the near future roadmap. 

Bent Christensen

Focus staking if also one area I'm interested in. Not really keen on buying another tool only for focus stacking.

Richard Aumann

So focus stacking and Pano stitching are still not available?

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Richard Aumann,

Not yet. We are currently gathering our users' feedback to see how soon we can implement this feature. Thank you very much for your feedback. I forwarded it to relevant department. We do appreciate your input, since it helps us a lot to improve!

Florian Konrad

When can we expect focus stacking? I don't understand why one has to gather user feedback to see how soon one can implement a feature. Focus stacking and most types of stitching are pretty basic features that even simple apps on cell phones handle with ease - where is the problem? Most of your competitors have this feature - even freeware offers stacking and stitching in some form... common guys you can do better than this.

Margaret Bright

Hi Florian,

Regrettably, there's no precise ETA yet on when this feature is going to be implemented. At this time, we are gathering feedback and requests that allow us to raise the priority for this feature. Therefore I would like to thank you for the feedback and for helping us see what we can do to become better.

Florian Konrad

Hi Margaret

So does that mean we have to request and request on a daily basis to get things experdited? If so - would everyone that wants this/these features please send in a request ever so often (daily would probably be best if we really want to speed up the process) Considering that this community post has been around for over 2 years I gather that so far the priority is rock bottom.

Sven Witter

Hi Margaret, 

and that's the reason why I am using Luminar sometimes as a plugin for Lightroom. The development focused on a space shuttle sky replacement (for example). Thats cool for some Insta stuff, but I want to edit my photos. I changes some weeks ago to the Adobe subscription. I have to say I hate subscriptions so much, but I not really see any developments in focus stacking for example.

Now I have everything I needed and an if I will buy an upgrade to the next version of Luminar? Actually no, 2 years of evaluation of a requested feature over your own community is way too long and not really innovative. 

Andre Myszkowski

Also ich habe Luminar nun schon seid Anfang an und bin jetzt ehrlich enttäuscht das es immer noch kein Fokus Stacking gibt!!!

ich komme ja klar damit das ich es in Ebenen mache, aber sorry es muss einfach gehen das die Bilder automatisch aufeinander ausgerichtet werden, es gibt Programme da markiert man die Fotos und es wird sofort verrechnet fertig ist das stacking !! Luminar 4 ist wohl das letzte Luminar das ich gekauft habe, werde auf Grund der fehlenden Stacking Funktion leider zu Photoshop wechseln müssen. Das ist schade da sich Luminar gut entwickelt hat aber wenn seid 2 Jahren über 3 Versionen und etliche Updates nichts tut, muss ich behaupten das Ihr schlaft was Kundenwünsche angeht !! Denkt mal darüber nach bevor Ihr immer eine neue Version raus bringt, verbessert eine und last euch lieber das Update für Neuerungen bezahlen und bring nicht immer eine neue Version raus die man teuer bezahlen muss und es fehlt wieder grundlegendes wie stacking !!!

Please sign in to leave a comment.