Aurora: Batch in defined multiples, not just auto

Comments

18 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Casey,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I will pass it to our developers for consideration.

Comment actions Permalink
    Olivier Fecteau

Hello I have the exact same issue. I do HDR Timelapse and I was hoping to use batch processing to edit them. I bought the first version of Aurora HDR when it first came out and was sad to find out the batch processing was broken. I mean, it works if all your photos are all different but if there not a lot of changes (like in timelapses) it does not work. I tried going through the technical support route and it did not yield any results. I've tested every versions that came out since and it still isn't working. Hoping 2019 fixes it.

All I ready need is a slider to choose to group pictures taken from an interval of time. This way any photos taken within, let's say, 3 secs of each other with be grouped as a bracket. Apple's Aperture photo app does that it works great.

Hoping this gets looked at. 

Thanks!

Denis Kotsee

At the moment there are several bracket detection rules that are at play when Aurora checks the images you send to batch.

In order to compose bracket groups, Aurora reads the images' metadata and checks for the following:

Rule 1

• Same file extension
    • Same exposure program
    • Same focal length

Rule 2

• Time difference between shots is less than 4 seconds

Rule 3

• If the image cannot be previewed the time difference between brackets should be less than 15 seconds in order for them to be recognized as a group

Rule 4

• Edges comparing

In case any of these checks returns false, the image will be recognized as a single. Maybe this helps you achieve the results you're looking for with your timelapses.

Casey Fry

Denis, that all sounds good, but it doesn't work very well; I only shoot in automatic brackets of three with my HDR camera (I use a different camera for my single shots), and Aurora will break up a dozen or so brackets for every job (I used multiple past jobs for the trial). Allowing user-specified grouping, like Photomatix and Oloneo do, will allow the user to bypass the auto-detection when problems arise for larger volumes; until then, I can't use it. At a bare minimum, at least allow the user to manually group images that Aurora got wrong...

Olivier Fecteau

I wish you guys were taking this seriously and actually attempt to fix it. I'd really love to use your software. I've reported the issue over a year ago (See support email exchange below). After being told I needed to shoot pictures in Auto mode I pretty much gave up hope that you would try to help. Seriously guys, auto mode ? Who shoots Auto mode? 

Aurora HDR Support   Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 10:26 AM

Hi Olivier, As far as I can see, you use the manual exposure for your photos. In order to fix the issue with your brackets in Aurora HDR 2017, please set up the automatic exposure.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

Julia
    Aurora HDR Support Team

Olivier Fecteau   Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 10:46 AM

Where should I setup automatic exposure? Sent from my iPhone
     (Thinking it was a setting in the program)

Aurora HDR Support
    Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 11:21 AM    

Hi Olivier,

You should setup it in your camera settings.

Read more about Automatic Exposure here: https://www.lifewire.com/automatic-exposure-ae-493263 

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Konstantin
    Aurora HDR Support Team

Casey Fry

Just downloaded and tried 2019 in hopes that the batch processing may have improved, but it almost seems worse... of course, this would be a non-issue if we could bypass the auto-batch and specify batches by multiples instead, or at least have the option to adjust/modify the auto "grouping"...

I'm shooting with a D750 and a D600, both in aperture priority, auto bracketing 3 frames at 2 stops apart.
    For example, I tried to test batch a job with 282 images; in Oloneo and Photomatix, this yielded the expected 94 hdr images (282/3=94). However, in Aurora 2019, it yielded 50. Not only did some images not get "grouped", some groups contained 2, 3, 6, 8 and 9 images!

Obviously, this is unacceptable, so I'm not really seeing the point of the batch feature in its current state, unless I'm missing a setting to specify multiples, or a way to adjust the auto groups... I tried manually dragging the images to their correct groups, which it allowed me to do, but it didn't change anything, as but the results remained the same.

Providing the ability to specify multiples would also solve Oliver's issue as well. While the Auto grouping feature is an neat idea, it really doesn't offer any advantages over the tried and true multiples method, but instead has critical disadvantages.

Anastasia Davis

@Casey Could you send us those files at support@skylum.com? We will test the batch processing of your files on our side. 

Here's how you can send us the files:

Visit https://wetransfer.com/ 

If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.

Click Add your files.

Select the file(s) on your computer.

After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).

In Send As select Link.

Click Transfer.

After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and send us at support@skylum.com

Also, please make a reference to this post.

Casey Fry

@Anastasia I sent a batch from the D600, and a portion of the 282 mention above from the D750 is uploading now.

Alexander Cargill

Hi ive tried a trial of 2019 and so far its been good a real game changer however i am somewhat unimpressed with the batch function.  I shoot  all my images on aperture priority with a -3 0 +3 setting the batch process makes a terrible job of getting the order of the exposures correct and introduces changes that are not there when the files are done individually. I've tried adding the files to the batch drag and drop in 3s in the hope that it will override the auto settings,  I would love to purchase this software however the main and only sticking point is the faulty batch processing.  I hope you folks can look at this and fix it so i can enjoy the full Aurora experience and then purchase the software.

thanks

Anastasia Davis

Hi Alexander! Could you specify how the order is incorrect? Are the brackets are mixed up? And what are the wrong changes made to the images? You can send us the files via Wetransfer so we could test it.

The file you were working with, so that we could test it on our side.

Here's how you can send us the files:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the email to support@skylum.com 

Also, send us the exact settings you used for batch processing in the same email to support@skylum.com

Alexander Cargill

Yea it mixes them up and the whites dont come out clean as they do when doing each set of brackets manually then applying the same setting at the same I'll do that tonight. I can also take video of the screen while he I will send your way. Thanks :)

Evan Thomas

Batch processing was broken from the day it was released. I sent samples and was promised a fix. Years later it is still completely broken. The algorithm described is the one they described years ago and is _obviously_ flawed. At the very least there should be an option to create your own brackets with the auto algorithm fails.

Skylum can produce some good results but once a product is out the door they refuse to fix defects. It's on to the next revenue generating feature, I guess.

Terry Rogers

Hi Evan! We've found your emails about Aurora HDR 2017 that you sent us back then. Could you please contact us again via https://skylum.com/support if you have the same issue in Aurora HDR 2019? We will be happy to help.

Casey Fry

Agreed, Evan, a way to specify your own brackets should be a no-brainer, and would fix everything. It really puzzles me why they would insist on pushing the "automatic" batching, especially as the only batch option.

Unfortunately the poor "automatic" batch function is what caused me to abandon Aurora in my workflow; I do large batches, and time is money. Oloneo and Photomatix continue as my HDR workhorses.

David Hyre

I found this thread trying to tweak my own batch processing sets. I've actually had quite good luck with the automatic groupings, and being able to correct most errors by adding a single that was grouped as a "single-image HDR" but should be with a bracket, or removing a single lone exposure that got added to a real bracket set. However, I *DID* notice a HUGE amount of what A.Cargill notes above - the order of the exposures in each properly-identified bracket set is TOTALLY random! IOW only rarely does it show them as -2/-1/0/+1/+2 EV for my sets of 5, and when it does it is cleary just blind random luck. Sometimes it's +2/-1/-2/+1/0, sometimes -2/+2/+2/-1/0, etc - yet ALL of mine are ALWAYS shot in automatic, aperture-priority mode centered on -0.3EV. It literally showed them in every possible order - I checked! Which then makes you wonder if this is partly the cause of the white-value issue he notes as well, using the wrong reference frame. Clearly, Aurora can identify the EV values, it shows you! At least in manual mode.

Note: Aurora *does* need to be able to create a new bracket set in the batch list, like for removing a single, or sometimes it put 2 separate 5-shot brackets into one single 10-shot group - my only choice was to remove 5 manually, but then that set doesn't get processed. Instead, that group should be able to be pulled out as its own bracket. Add select + right-click menu perhaps? 

I think part of what's frustrating is to us end-users, these errors seem like reasonably easy fixes, and we'd love to use Aurora to do our work if possible. The manual (non-batch) results are like a big tease because they turn out well, then we try to do a big batch and it lets us down. 

Helga Rowles

Hi David!

The order of exposures in a bracket set doesn't determine the way images are merged in Aurora.

As for the "add bracket set" button, it would be a great solution, thank you! I'll share your suggestion with a person in charge. 

David Hyre

Helga - you would also think Aurora would display thumbnails in the same order for brackets shot in the same order, too - yet it doesn't. Casts doubt on processing and reference-frame selection as well. 

Likewise, users would hope and the programmers intend that the order doesn't matter like you state, yet there seem to be anomalies that suggest there might be a programming error making order relevant. This and my comment above would suggest some rather rigorous testing be done to check - it's possible they're even linked to the same code. 

I suggest the programmers also look at how the de-ghosting reference is selected, since the display order seems random it suggests reference selection might not always be the center exposure. They are all related, and some clearly not handled correctly, thus all are called into question and worth checking. 

Helena Carter

@David,

Thanks so much for sharing your observations. I will make sure to pass them on to our developers so they could consider them for the future.

Please sign in to leave a comment.