Remember the exported Filename!

Comments

18 comments

Denis Kotsee

I'm sorry to hear that this causes inconvenience in your workflow. The filename that's being reset is a minor design issue. I wish I could say that we'll be able to fix it asap but we've got tasks with higher priority that concern core functionality and performance.

If I might suggest a workaround: copy the filename to clipboard the first time you name your exported file. Then all you'll need to do is press CTRL+V on your keyboard the next time you decide to export.

Comment actions Permalink
    Bjarne Winkler

Denis, thanks for your response.

I have done software support since the early eighties when the IBM PC hit the market and one thing I have learned is that if a client has an issue to never call it “minor design issue” – it is either a bug or worse a bad design and should be fixed ASAP, like all the other bugs, or design issues, that we, the paid users, have reported.  You guys have not been good at issuing timely patches!

Second, but with all respect, I run more that Luminar on my Windows box and your CTRL+V workaround may then only work 10% of the time (I am sure you understand why) – not the answer to the solution.

If Skylum want to be the leader and I think that you have the tiger by the tail, then you need to act like the leader.  Tell unhappy Windows users (that means making a commitment, which seems to be missing) that Skylum have committed to fix issues and do a quarterly release.  Then every quarter we get some of the issues removed.  I for one will accept that not all of the issue I have pointed out get fixed in the next release, but the following release the issue should have been totally removed.

PS: Please do not read this as an attack on you and any other person.  I am simply trying to get you guys on the right track and are voicing what may photographers are telling me direct, but do not want to openly talk to you guys.

So, let’s get all this stuff fixed

Denis Kotsee

Not at all, I'd never think anything like that. I do understand where you're coming from, and I wish I could offer a more immediate solution than waiting until we prioritize all the tasks we have at the moment and start delivering fixes regularly.

At the moment there are numerous things that take higher priority for us with most of our team's efforts being focused on the DAM for Luminar. We do want to fix the issues and imperfections that have been sitting there for a while but at the moment it's the DAM that we spend most of our time on. I hope that things will eventually even out after the DAM is released and we'll be able to start delivering regular updates.

K.G. Wuensch

@Denis, do you really believe it a good idea to put a whole new program feature on an highly instable, in parts it seems unmanagable code basis? You are not able to add a single setting, disabling an automatic, erratic function in 9 months - without the ability to control the noise reduction the RAW conversion in Luminar it is unusable for a DAM with editing capability as it makes presets or profiles inconsistent, and that‘s intolerable in such a tool! 

What you don‘t seem to realize is that every bug, every ill conceived automatism, every flaw in filters will be set in stone once you release the DAM as there will be people that base their workflow on that and will include workarounds in that very workflow to circumvent or reduce the impact of the bugs. Any late fixes will thus mean that you have to maintain bith the old code in it’s flawed state and the new code with the fixes. Another thing is that 100% feature parity will be required, if your „ambassadors“ release videos on how to achieve certain things using MacOS then the average Windows user must be able to reproduce the results. So releasing the DAM before the bugs have been ironed out and without having achieved feature parity is going to put a lot of additional workload on your developers and your support.

My suggestion would be you own up the errors, put the DAM release on halt until the foundation is solid (as explained above) and give the users a realistic timeline and a list of planned features (not just a overzealous „we will replace Lightroom“ - you are not able to, that‘s a pipe dream - be realistic for once). Factor in that your decelopers will need time to replace OpenGL/OpenCL on MacOS as it will be deprecated in the upcoming MacOS Mojave and can be removed in any later releases...

Bjarne Winkler

@K.G.Wuensch, well written and to the point, like it.

The real problem here is the Skylum wanted to make some quick money without committing them self to putting the resources into the project Luminar 2018 for Windows.

Clearly you can take the Image Code from the Apple version (which by the way is fantastic!) and use that, but you must understand that there is a standard Windows GUI that must be coded.   If Skylum is claiming that they did, them explain to me how the Apple version can work on multiple photos at the same time, whereas the Windows version can only have one single photo open at a time.  By not being able to work on multiple photo one must save the setting that was applied to one picture and then close the photo (oh wait that function does not exists in Luminar 2018 for Windows) and then open the batch and reload the previous saved setting.  Man, if you do not get that original (preset just saved) nailed then this is a full nights nightmare to do and Skylum is saying “we will replace Lightroom” – not so fast guys, lets fix the basic before we get there.

PS: I am not a complainer, I am a paying costumer that got sold something that should never have been released as a finish product!  

SALLIE CAROTHERS

As someone put it so succinctly--=we paid to be Beta testers and now we are dealing with software that is loaded with bugs---I have had this software for 6 months and have been trying to make it work from the minute I purchased it.  I was in contact with Denis Kotkee who  had my send over all my PC information and then told me he would give me a refund---which I refused.   I like the possibilities of this software and every few weeks I run CCleaner to fix the registry, restart the PC and then try to install and run as an administrator ---with no success.   It doesn't work at all as a plug in ---i get a message saying that the file format is not recognized---the only way i can get it to run is from the stand alone and then it won't save.  I am holding on because I want this company to recognize that they put a product out that wasn't ready for market and that people like me (and like the others on this thread) have been inconvenienced and lied to about a product.  I use ON1, ALIEN SKIN,NIK, ATHENTECH, TIFFEN, AUTO FX WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. running them as plug ins from photoshop 2018---there is no way that Skylum can put the blame on my system which is basically what they were doing when they offered me my $ back.  

There has been no admission on their part that the product they sold is defective with no resolution in sight.

Bjarne Winkler

@Sallie Carothers, you hit the nail on the head with the “this company to recognize that they put a product out that wasn't ready for market and that people like me (and like the others on this thread) have been inconvenienced and lied to about a product.”

The prove in the pudding is when they sometimes in 2019 is releasing Luminar 2019 for windows and are asking for upgrade fee!

As it is going right now Skylum is all in on the new Aurora HDR 2019.  It is my understanding that it too comes in a Windows version too. 

Oh I forgot they have already our money so what is the need?

Denis Kotsee

We addressed these and some other concerns of our users in a blog post here:

https://skylum.com/blog/new-luminar-with-libraries-no-paid-upgrades-and-more

Sorry it took us a while.

Bjarne Winkler

Thanks @Denis Kotsee for the pointer to the blog and I like what I am reading from @Alex Tsepko.   However, over the last year or so I have learned that Luminar 2018 Windows version is not the same as Luminar 2018 for Mac and @Alex Tsepko is not addressing that Skylum have committed to that Luminar 2019 Windows version would be par with the Luminar 2019 Mac version.

Can you confirm that this is what the goal is, or should the Windows world still be treated as the stepchild?

Denis Kotsee

Yes, it is the goal, although some of the things might be implemented differently due to the differences between the platforms. If you have something specific in mind in addition to the subject of this thread, let us know.

Bjarne Winkler

@Denis Kotsee, this is great news.  Please see other threads that has posting not only from me but also from others regarding findings that has discrepancy between the two versions.  I totally understand that the OS may force way of handling things slightly differently but things like the Luminar 2018 Mac version can open multiple images whereas the Luminar 2018 Windows version can’t.  That can’t be an OS discrepancy since I have a ton of other Windows program that can do that.  This itself makes Luminar 2018 Windows not even a contender in the Photo Post Processing World.  Also, please ensure that standard Windows functioning is in place like Close an open image, but not exiting the program etc.

I will be happy to do beta testing for you guys if there is a lag of Windows testers, since I can only assume that you are getting very close to Luminar 2019 Windows beta test if you have a December 2018 delivery deadline.

K.G. Wuensch

@Denis, what use is a DAM where you can’t follow the instructions from your ambassadors (which all seem to be running the Mac version) just because you don’t have a Mac. What good is a tool where your Mac workflow will not translate to the Windows version you may run beside it on your notebook?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bjarne,

Thanks for your offer of helping with beta testing! Right now we are doing private testing, but may open it up to a larger group. If you'd like you be involved please email support@skylum.com and we'll add you to the list.

Also, we won't be releasing Luminar 2019, but rather updating Luminar 2018. We released a blog post over the weekend with a lot of updated info that you might be interested in. You can read it here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360023749731-New-Luminar-with-Libraries-No-Paid-Upgrades-and-MORE-

Bjarne Winkler

@Angela Andrieux, I knew this would not last a full day.  In the @Alex Tsepko blog he is stating the following: 

A summary (if you hate long reads)

The new Luminar with Libraries will come this December.

This update is free for all Luminar 2018 users.

There will be NO paid upgrade to Luminar 2019.

Instead, you will get the new tools and features as free updates to your current version of Luminar.

More AI-powered tools will come to Luminar soon.

We will get better in keeping you updated on what’s coming.

Some of you will have a chance to become a part of Luminar development.

More users will get an early access to beta versions of Luminar.

For new users, Luminar is available at a discounted price for a limited time.

We are sorry to keep you waiting for these updates.

We love you!

Notice the “This update is free for all Luminar 2018 users.” and the “There will be NO paid upgrade to Luminar 2019.” And if I read your post here then you are saying “Also, we won't be releasing Luminar 2019, but rather updating Luminar 2018.”  To me this means that you two are not on the same page and we the end-users can still only hope for the best.  Or are you saying that we will get a Luminar 2018 Windows upgrade (that works correctly under Windows) with all the new features like the Libraries and stuff (that we will see in Luminar 2019)?  Again at no cost and any upgrades in 2019 will be free?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bjarne,

I apologize for my poorly worded statement. I misunderstood your question/statement. Luminar 2019 (of which you were requesting to beta test) won't be released until later next year. The Luminar Library will be added as a free update to Luminar 2018 and there will be no paid upgrade to Luminar 2019. By directing you to that article I was trying to provide you with the latest information that I have and can share. I'm sorry if I caused confusion.

Bjarne Winkler

@Angela Andieux, @Alex Tsepko writing was then a little be loose in that “There will be NO paid upgrade to Luminar 2019.” Should really have been “There will be NO paid upgrade to Luminar 2019, when release in 2019.” But hey he is the CEO so what can you expect 😉

It is still troubling that nobody @ Skylum have still stepped up to the place and either said that the Luminar 2018 for Windows November release will be compatible in functionality of the released Liminar 2018 for Mac and if not, what is missing – so fare you have not let that part out of the bag.

If you are not spec clear on what is what in the Mac and Windows version most intelligent users will assume that to two are the same or with very small differences.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bjarne,

As far as I know the version comparison chart on our website is complete with regard to the big differences between the Mac and Windows versions. https://skylum.com/luminar/versions The only exceptions being the bug with the Top & Bottom Lighting filter, and the lack of ability to duplicate a layer.

I have been able to confirm that the following will be fixed/added in Luminar 2018, but I cannot guarantee if it will be the next release:

• Gradient tool (top & bottom lighting filter)
    • 3rd Party Plugin ability
    • Ability to duplicate a layer

Are there any other issues that are important to you? If so, please let me know and I'll see if I can get a status update for you.

Bjarne Winkler

@Angela Andrieux Your chart have left out several things, like the Luminar 2018 for Windows can only open and edit one singe photo at a time, whereas the Luminar 2018 for Mac can open and edit multiple photos concurrent,  like all Skylum’s competitors program can under Windows.
    I know that you are trying to help, but it is so sad that you guys do not get it how professional photographer works.  All your ambassadors that is endorsing the product are all Apple users and when I read the chart the first time and had heard and seen how the ambassadors was using it I could not imagine that the Windows version would not do all the things that they were showing.

Let’s stop excusing things and let’s get the November release ready as a professional Windows tool!

Please sign in to leave a comment.