September DAM Update

Comments

104 comments

Andrew Hewitt

I'm sorry Angela, but I'm finding this appalling as customer service goes.

Many of us bought Luminar 2018 because of the expected DAM feature. It was a compelling reason for me to purchase it, as you'd obviously taken advantage of the furore over Lightroom's CC subscription changes, and I was one of those not wanting to go with their subscription plans.

I'm not quantifying value for money, or anything like that here. Luminar is a great app as it is. However, it's the very poor marketing tactics Skylum have employed that are, and what you have been promising is not being fulfilled. By the time Luminar 2019 arrives we might, if we're lucky, have used the DAM for a couple of months, when we have paid for it's use for over a year (since paying for it in the pre-release offer) by then, and then expected to pay again shortly after for the next upgrade.

Yes, I appreciate it's good value for money and all that, but it's not what I was sold.

Also remember that you state clearly that you don't have a subscription model, and it's "Luminar - pay once and enjoy forever". That's clearly not accurate, as you add a year onto the name and charge again for it.

I've bought your products since the early days, before CK, and the CK bundle, as well as Aurora, Aurora 2018, Luminar and Luminar 2018. Now I feel it's enough. I bought a bunch of Topaz plugins many years ago, and have not ever had to pay again for any of the products I bought from them, yet they still get updated.

I like Luminar and Aurora, but please start being more honest with your customers. You have good products, so don't spoil it with poor selling strategies.

Comment actions Permalink
    K.G. Wuensch

@Angela, if you still didn‘t understand what I was saying, Luminar must not be different between the platforms. Not 80%, not 90%, it must be 100% because else your proud ambassadors instead of promoting your product will reap a shitstorm from those that can’t reproduce the results because they happen to use the false platform. The DAM will effectively be DOA if there is a disparity between the platforms.

But it will also be a complete and utter dud if you don‘t remedy the big problem that there is an unavoidable and unpredictable noise reduction in the RAW conversion. Is it asking too much to add a simple „noise reduction on/off“ control to the RAW conversion? It seems very much so! Your marketing was so proud of that feature that it made the announcements earlier this year „yeah, we now got a heuristic that is determining if there is noise and eradicating it, if you want or not“ - that feature has no place in a tool that want‘s to be taken seriously because it prevents any workflow to be developed. Ever since that announcement I have stopped recommending Luminar.

Now this applies to one specific function - if there were similar nasty unpredictable surprises lurking (that the users are unaware of because they didn’t make the „we are proud“ list) then those need to be adressed too - again before even shedding a thought on releasing the DAM. You seem blisfully unaware what responsibilities come with that!

Robert Barr

Alex and crew will get this much cash from me in the future: $0.00.

For all of the reasons previously mentioned: vaporware (DAM), half finished products (MAC/PC parity), overuse of the word 'soon'. On an on it goes.

Verlon Smith

Going to be tough to get preorders from people still waiting on the DAM they ‘preordered.’

And my Aurora 2018 crashes a LOT. I emailed support, and they blamed it on my 2009 Mac Pro (with upgrades in gfx, ram, SSD, firmware etc) without saying WHY that Mac was inadequate. They swore a new Mac would fix the issue. Well, a 2018 MBPro didn’t fix it. I am markedly disappointed.

I think I will wait until there is actual software.

Colin Grant

Will they ever change? All sorts of promises get released and never kept. I just went back to Adobe, it will have to be something really great to make me trust this company again. They should have stuck with Luminar as a plugin to LR and made it friendly to the other DAMs out there. But no they saw a way to make money and as a result have ruined the credibility of Skylum and some wonderful products. It is a crying shame!

Yes I miss Luminar as a LR plugin but fortunately there is Nik and Topaz out there.

Rick Garvia

I received an email today about the release of Aurora 2019. I think I already know the answer, but why release new products when there are known issues with old products (for which people have already paid), issues that make the product unusable? Surely somebody must realize how this looks.

Michael Anderson

Note that today the marketing of Aurora 2019 started and there are many videos from Skylum affiliates showing demos of the software.  The software is supposed to be released in early October.   Try to find such a video of the DAM in action with someone explaining how it works....etc.    So do we think the DAM will be out in October of this year? Note there is no mention in the Aurora videos of how the app should be able to interwork with the DAM by the end of this year.

Guy Meacham

@Angela, does Luminar still intend to honor it's commitment of bringing functionality of Luminar for Windows 2018 up to the same level as the Mac version before 2019 is released? There are still many issues that need addressing in the Windows version before you could say that they were equal in functionality to the Mac version.

Colin Grant

Angela you say - " For now we are conducting internal beta testing. We are, however, gathering a list of those interested in beta testing. You can email us at support@skylulm.com to be added to the list". How does that statement reconcile to your CEO saying the DAM will be out  by the end of this year? It is pretty much mid September now. It is also true that you have been collecting names for beta testing for a while now - I know someone who is on it, the list that is and has been so for weeks.

Whilst here, I still use CK and you have said in the past that an update for that suite was in course. Is it any closer or are the suspicions that it is now abandonware true?

Rick Garvia

@Denis Kotsee

I was using the Mac version. I did switch at the suggestion of tech support to a previous version (provided with a link), but for some reason, I have a pre-installed version. It was at that point that tech support suggested I remove the program and wait. The whole process has been unnecessarily complicated. I've been deleting, sending screen shots, deleting...it's maddening. If you could provide me with a link to a program that works and that contains the upgraded presets for which I've paid, I'd be grateful

Guy Meacham

@Denis, @Angela,

So it seems you guys have given up on the promise that the same functionality will be available in both programs, that's a real shame. It shouldn't be up to us windows users (most of us who don't have a mac) to tell you whats missing so you can add it only if we ask for it. It's not the fact that there there are filters missing in one version compared to the other but that many of the filters in the Windows version don't work as well or correctly as the mac versions. many of these have been talked about in the Windows forum already. Are you saying you are only going to fix these if someone specifically asks now? There is a real problem documented by others already with some of the gradient filters not working correctly in the windows version, just one example.

One thing that is completely missing there is no plugin capabilities in the Windows version, but you know that already too!

I'm feeling more and more that us early windows users who saw promise in your program and believed Luminar's promises have just been beta testers who have had to pay for the privelidge :(

Douwe Huizinga

So there is no information about a specific release date. But why is there no blog post with some information about what to expect?  The software is already in beta ... and this info was promised to us to be released in August. Why can't you give us back some trust? Are there so many software issues, you are not certain what will make it to the release version?

Mike Hardisty

@Angela Andrieux

"For now we are conducting internal beta testing". OH! Really

I've just been watching a video from a well known photographer who says he has already tested the DAM and his conclusions are that he likes Luminar but will continue to use Lightroom as his DAM.

Says a lot...…….

Timothy Jans

How about releasing the DAM in Luminar 2019 and give all Luminar 2018 users a free update? I don't really like getting the DAM as one of the last updates that will leave me with an unusable Luminar full of bugs.

Andrew Hewitt

Tom, thanks for that update. That does seem to be more promising, and at least an idea of what it might look like. This would have helped and awful lot many months ago - just an idea of what to be expecting.

However, I'm not terribly reassured by the 'We're in very early Beta testing'. Surely you should have been at that stage a year ago, you should be in final stages of Beta testing at this point (or indeed some months ago). If you weren't, you should never have even announced the feature in the first place.

The feature you show there for free-form viewing is not really anything new. Lightroom CC already does this, and has done so for almost a year already, Apple Photos has done this for even longer. It's not a terribly useful feature to be honest, and one I tend to disable, preferring standard boxes with useful metadata showing.

Your last comment gives the impression that you're accepting you've lost a lot of regular users, those that have existing collections and may have wanted to switch from Lightroom, and experienced in using a DAM/editor with years of photos in their library. Instead aiming this at a new customer base.

As it is, the UI you present there does seem pretty similar to Lightroom CC, with a little of 'Classic' added.

And, please stop telling us we're getting the update for free. We already paid for it nearly a year ago. I would expect it to be 'free' - if anything you should not go with Luminar 2019, but I would suggest continue until Luminar 2020 before charging us again (which is very much not what you advertise on the Luminar page anyway, you strongly imply that you never have to pay again once you buy a licence). Honestly, have a good look at your marketing tactics, they're not very credible.

I'm sorry to sound to critical, but it's because I like the Skylum products a lot, and I am keen to see you creating great products that are competitive feature rich, as well as maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction, you're just not being very good at that at the moment.

Best regards.

Andy

Torrey Betts

Hi Angela,

I use Luminar to edit my photos almost daily and I throughly enjoy using the software. The only downside that I experience quite often is the amount of crashes that occur while editing. It's extremely frustrating to work on several layers of edits to only lose them and then having to redo them all again. My question in regards to this is, can the product move to more continuous delivery? Being a senior developer, I know that from the time of the last update a bunch of these crashes have most likely been fixed and they should be released on a more frequent basis (e.g. monthly). It not only improves my user experience, it'll gives new users a greater chance of not encountering these issues and possibly affecting their impressions of the software when it comes to that purchasing decision.

Rick Garvia

@angela

That's good because I have an unusable product and have been not-so-patiently waiting for that to be rectified.

Jub De

Why are you releasing the Aurora 2019 when you have not even fixed the TOP & BOTTOM TUNING on windows version for nearly a year now? You have even included it in 2019 features. Fix all the bugs first before you release a new version.

Verlon Smith

Well I do not hate the look as much as K.G., so I guess there is no pleasing everyone. I’m not sure how you handle conflicting preferences.

But, EARLY stages of beta? You showed a video Nearly a year ago and have been claiming to be in beta for months. Even in this post you say you will release this year. Early stages of beta does not sound promising at all.

Colin Grant

Laughable is it not? The entire history of Skylum is one of u turns and broken promises. I am on Mac so sympathise with Windows users; you bought on the basis of parity and it is still not here? Yet other Skylum products come along presumably because Skylum's business objective is to sell as much as they can without any loyalty to those who bought earlier. I got a refund weeks ago on the back of broken promises re the DAM. I am glad I did - there is better software out there and certainly more open and customer loyal companies. At the moment I am helping to test a DAM being developed by a competitor. They have only just picked that particular ball up but are already involving their users in the development process.......and there is already a working version, albeit limited in functionality.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Saul - For now we are conducting internal beta testing. We are, however, gathering a list of those interested in beta testing. You can email us at support@skylum.com to be added to the list. 

Rick Garvia

Did my comment about how my program continually crashed, which led to the service tech asking me to remove the program and wait for an update actually get removed? 

I emailed yesterday, politely asking how long it would take to fix the problem so that I could use Luminar, which, when it works, is an easy to use and intuitive program. Here's the reply:

Hi Rick,

Our technical department is working hard to resolve not only this issue that is why it can take some time.

Hope for your patience and understanding.

I sincerely hope that those in charge realize that a photographer's life needs to move forward, not stall in the mud. There are other software programs that work, and I'm pretty sure we're all using them.

Guy Meacham

@Angela, @ Denis,

Asked 2 days ago, no answer yet, can one of you answer please:

@Angela, does Luminar still intend to honor it's commitment of bringing functionality of Luminar for Windows 2018 up to the same level as the Mac version before 2019 is released? There are still many issues that need addressing in the Windows version before you could say that they were equal in functionality to the Mac version.

Colin Grant

So the statement a few weeks/months back that an update to CK would be forthcoming was mis-information, And let us be honest, Angela, Skylum has no intention of running a public beta re Luminar does it? You are just saying anything to keep the punters quiet. Trouble is you are fast running out of original ideas!

So, for this software now dumped into legacy status - are you offering a nice upgrade price? Incidentally - just how many upgrades were there following the packaging of the apps into CK? How long did development continue after that?

Robert Simoneau

I purchased the Creative Kit on Dec 19,2017, on Dec 23th Angela Andrieux wrote on the then facebook support page in response to a problem reported by Robert Kiss "Angela Andrieux-Skylum "Unfortunately there are known issues with the CK apps right now. We are working on an update for the entire Creative Kit and will hopefully get that out soon."  Now instead it is Legacy software. I spent $129.99 for CK, $89 for Luminar 2018 for windows, and $89 for Aurora 2018, and have gotten little of any use of the apps. I would be willing to consider a "Class Action Suit" if anyone else is considering the same.

Guy Meacham

Correct Angela, those are two things that I'm really missing. Please note that my frustration is not aimed at you or Denis or any Slylum employee  but with Skylum the company and Alex Tsepko. I mean we waited more than 2 months for an update then were really told next to nothing new about the dam DAM! 

Skylum (not the employees of Skylum) have treated their first 2017/18 Windows users very poorly but that's just my two cents and I'm sure worth significantly less than that to Alex!

Robert Simoneau

I appears that a post I made 12 hours ago has not cleared and ones from others at 9 & 10 hours have clear. I fear censorship is in play here. I hope not as I would have to post elsewhere. I shall repost in case it got lost.

I purchased the Creative Kit on Dec 19,2017, on Dec 23th Angela Andrieux wrote on the then facebook support page in response to a problem reported by Robert Kiss "Angela Andrieux-Skylum "Unfortunately there are known issues with the CK apps right now. We are working on an update for the entire Creative Kit and will hopefully get that out soon."  Now instead it is Legacy software. I spent $129.99 for CK, $89 for Luminar 2018 for windows, and $89 for Aurora 2018, and have gotten little of any use of the apps. I would be willing to consider joining a "Class Action Suit" if anyone else is considering the same.

Adrian Rose

Dear Skylum, I kindly request that you adopt the following policy immediately, and backdate it for the blog referenced here. When a significant update in progress is announced then, as well as posting in a blog that only a small minority of registered Luminar (or other product) users are likely to see, you must also send out the same information to the registered email address of all product owners. I do not see why tens of thousands of people need to spend their time individually and unreliably searching for news when your team could far more efficiently disseminate progress.

I may be unlucky in my recent purchases, but this experience is sadly not unique for me this year so perhaps there is a growing trend amongst online technology retailers to tick the box in providing updates but to do so using "stealthy" distribution methods that ensure as few customers as possible learn of delays and other frustrating news!

Thanks in advance for your assistance in keeping us all informed.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Adrian - Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. I will pass your suggestion to our team.

Rick Garvia

Received this email this morning:

you recently contacted our Customer Support team. We just want to make sure that you are up and running.

If any assistance is still needed, we're here for you. Just reply to this e-mail and we will get back to you ASAP with the answers.

If everything is fine, we’d like to know what you thought about your support experience with us.

Please take a moment to share your thoughts on how we did.

Just an FYI

I’m not sure what would make you think I was “up and running.” I’ve been in constant contact with your company about this. To recap, since you seem to have ignored my issue, it was suggested by your own tech department that I uninstall Luminar and wait (patiently) for the upcoming update since there are “known issues” with the program in Macs. 

I am not “up and running.” I am up and still waiting.

Please sign in to leave a comment.