September DAM Update

Comments

104 comments

Colin Grant

If you had followed the threads here and elsewhere you would have known the functionality was going to be nowhere near that of the professional level stuff like Lr. It was always going to come in well below the level of the Skylum hype and the hope is that future updates will bring with them increased functionality. That is the promise. I never expected Skylum to deliver even a 75% completed DAM but what we have been given does perhaps give them something to build on. My personal view is that they should not have built a DAM but rather taken steps to ensure Luminar could work with other DAMs (Neofinder is quite nice). However none of this worries me personally as I use Lr and do not see that changing. L3 still makes for a nice plugin.

Of course if the DAM improves as promised I might consider leaving Adobe but there-again Lr continues to improve. Competition is good and, well, anything could happen :-)

Comment actions Permalink
    Denis Kotsee

Aurora is going to be released on October 4th this year. The DAM is also scheduled for the release by the end of this year. The reason we're showing Aurora HDR 2019 but not the DAM is because the DAM is going to be a free update and the new Aurora is a paid product which requires promotion.

Leila Evans

Sorry about this. It's an automatically generated email. In the next update your issue will be fixed.

K.G. Wuensch

@Tom, that screenshot looks god damned awful!

A browser like this is useless to find an overview of your own images because the wider landscape oriented image draw every bit of the attention away from the portrait oriented ones which get much less real estate with the lack of optical separation! That separation that a fixed grid brings is badly needed to organize your images, you often can‘t properly do multiple selections in that unorganized messy view!

That higglety pigglety unorganized mess also is the thing I hate the most in LR CC on my tablet and why I‘d probably never switch from LR Classic CC to the mess that Lightroom CC is. If that‘s the look of Luminar of the Luminar DAM then RIP! 

Denis Kotsee

@Colin Grant the default and the main way to sort is by capture date; there is a recently edited tab that allows you to access photos you edited today, this week, and this month; there's a recently added tab that shows the latest additions to the library; there's no sorting by the addition date as such because Luminar doesn't require importing and re-importing photos - you point it to a folder once, and it syncs the files in it automatically. There's a folder view that duplicates the folder structure on your storage device. You can also create albums that are independent of the folder structure in file system.

@K.G. Wuensch Luminar 3 is the name of the free upgrade with library functionality. Keywording won't be available in the initial release of the 3, we'll add it later in an free update. There will be no paid upgrades for Luminar up until the late 2019.

K.G. Wuensch

@Angela,

sorrry to rain on your parade but you should have asked people who are using a DAM. Keywording for many (if not all) is a must (that's why Lightroom CC has a slow uptake, nobody I know who really needs a DAM is willing to dumb down his workflow with that tool). What's even worse though is that you don't give us control over the metadata - when exporting photos, due the new legislation within the EU - photographers better strip certain information from the export (location data for example) while adding other data (copyright) is a must. To be able to produce images that can be uploaded to (micro-)stock proper IPTC keywording is a must. So sorry, while "re-imagining" things may be the way for small companies to find their niche you have (and still are) marketing Luminar as a Lightroom alternative and there you currently score a 0 out of 100 possible points and the new library will only get you to 5/100 of what really makes LR so indispensable.

Verlon Smith

Hi Angela,

I am not suggesting you copy Lightroom. After all, I do not like Lightroom. That said, certain features are expected in a photo DAM. For example, the ability to manage photos. You could not handle the photos at all under the claim of being different, but you see how that might fail to appeal to photographers.

Abandoning keywords and the inability to edit metadata introduces real concerns. Someone already mentioned new privacy regulations in the EU. If you intend to make a radical change to how we manage photos, you’re going to have to give us a clue or expect us to be suspicious.

Angela Andrieux

@Guy - I'm sorry if our request came across wrong. We aren't asking you (or any of our customers) to keep tabs on the differences between the two platforms. However, your feedback is valuable in helping us prioritize those tools or differences in functionality that would make the biggest impact on your workflow.

Based on your comment above - would I be correct to assume that both the issue with the gradient and the ability to use 3rd party plugins would be of high value to you and your workflow?

Daniel Scholz

@Rick - as of now there is no ETA for this new update, but we're working on it.  The latest version of Luminar 2018 for Mac OS is now 1.3.0 (5235).

Angela Andrieux

@Guy - Sorry it took a few days for me to reply. With regard to parity - the two platforms are currently very close both in terms of features and performance. As for the few remaining features - they will be added depending on what our users most need. Can you tell us which features that are available on Mac and not on Windows that are most important to you?

Angela Andrieux

@Colin - I cannot guarantee that we will conduct a public beta or that everyone on that list will be invited to participate in private testing. However, for those who are interested, we are happy to take their info and will contact them when/if we release testing to a larger group.

As for the CK apps - they have officially transitioned to "Legacy" status and will not be receiving further updates.

Angela Andrieux

@Mike - Perhaps a better description would have been "private beta testing". I apologize for my poor word choice.

As for a noted professional opting to stick with Lightroom - every one of us must choose which solution is best for their workflow. For seasoned pros with an established asset management system there are a myriad of considerations that will need to be weighed. I would enjoy seeing the video you're referring to if you'd be willing to share the link.

Angela Andrieux

@K.G. - No need to pester us, but if there are specific features missing from the Windows version that matter to you and your workflow we'd like to know. From that info we can give you an update on when to expect that particular feature.

Angela Andrieux

@Douwe - Unfortunately I can't be more specific than what is posted above in that Luminar 2018 will be updated with the DAM by the end of the year. You can read more from our CEO, Alex Tsepko on the blog at https://skylum.com/blog/skylum-innovation-future

Please sign in to leave a comment.