September DAM Update

Comments

104 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tom,

I can confirm that both the Top and Bottom Tuning Filter and plugin support will be added in Luminar 2018, though I don't have a specific date I can share yet.

As for Duplicate Layer - I will check on the status of this and get back to you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Margarita Ney

@Colin - I followed in your footsteps and got a refund as well.  Now that I watched that sneak peak of the upcoming DAM, I don't like the way it's displaying the images at all. I have gone back to LR and still assessing ON1. Luminar will never be an LR replacement for serious photographers. - Will this post also be deleted? Yes, I know censorship is rife in this forum.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tom,

I was able to confirm that the option to Duplicate a Layer will also be added in one of the nearest updates.

Colin Grant

@Margarita - you have done the right thing and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how well ON1 has come on, especially after the last update. Just a shame the content aware eraser is not all it should be but that might be tweaked later. I am still on LR as you know but remain close to PhotoLab which I really do think is the elephant in the room. It is capable of some amazing results once you get to understand the workings and combined with Nik it can do so much. Shame it is not Fuji compatible though - hopefully that will change, although it does not impact me.

Margarita Ney

@Verlon - My experience has been that I have had posts deleted from the Skylum FB page as well as their FB Group page and here.  None have been abusive or with inappropriate language, but have been truthful about what has transpired in the last year or so. My disappointment with Luminar extended far beyond just the DAM.  The only credit I give them is for Aurora 2018, which is pretty good, in my opinion.

Adrian Rose

@Angela Andrieux, many thanks for your reply to my post. Today I received the email linking to Alex's detailed update so I greatly appreciate that Skylum has listened, learned and acted - very useful to know straight away that significant announcements have been made. All of the news is very positive and in my opinion should mitigate the concerns stated by everyone here. Really good news.

Martin P.

I think the title of this thread has to be edited... It's no DAM, it's a photo library.

Colin Grant

I agree, Martin P

Verlon Smith

@Martin nah, it’s a DAM photo library.

Rick Garvia

This is good news. Fingers crossed that the rest of the program works. Will somebody at Skylum send me an email with an activation code so I can (finally) download a working program? Thanks.

Alina Skylum

Hi Rick, you will get an e-mail when the update is available. Also, you can always access your licenses and download links in your personal Skylum account. 

Ritchie Hill

Hey guys,I am in Cologne Germany for Photokina 2018. To my big surprise as I was leaving for the day I suddenly sat that skylum was there and had a small standby. So I ofcourse had to ask very cat fully about the coming DAM. Ans guess what I got a little demo from head of AI at Skylum Alex Tsepko. And yes that DAM excist and it is FAST like hell.

Brian Ramage

probably can't say and not asking for too much info but... FAST?

is this with a large library?

on a new machine?

with photos that have edits/post-processing of SOOC? RAW/JPG?

** then again my ancient Apple Aperture is really fast on an older MBP with lots of edited images. 

Colin Grant

Speed is not everything, perhaps you could enlighten us about the functionality? Also you should to read the other posts on here -  rose tinted glasses are not required!

Piotr S.

So is the DAM coming his year?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Piotr,

Yes, the Luminar Library will be released in December. We've been sharing quite a bit of information about it on our blog. Here is the latest post: https://skylum.com/blog/luminar-with-libraries-lets-you-label-and-rate-your-photos

Colin Grant

That is a pretty low level post. What dates can we sort by - date captured, date edited, date loaded into Luminar? What other fields can we sort on within the exif/iptc data fields. So far the dam is nowhere near as functional as NeoFinder on Mac, which also has mapping.

K.G. Wuensch

@Angela, why isn't there even the slightest hint at keywording in all those screenshots? Open menus, open sidebars, no hint whatsoever of keywords!

And then what about Luminar 3.0? Is the name Luminar 2019 already burnt that you have to rename - or do you intend to give existing customers Luminar 2019 and for Luminar 3.0 we'd be expected to cough up an update fee?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

The initial release will have the option to view metadata, but not edit it. However, this will likely be added in a future update.

Colin Grant

Thanks Angela, but you say "will likely be added". That does not seem a definite yes so we know not if we will get it at all and even if we do when. I certainly have no intention of buying back into Luminar if this is the vision re an alternative to LR. Indeed with the latest incarnation of ON1 it appears you may be getting further behind the field.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Verlon,

Our goal is not to copy Lightroom (or Aperture, Apple Photos, etc.). The Luminar Library has been designed from the ground up to be fast and simple - and presents a new way of organizing and working with photos. It may not be the perfect fit for all photographers, but we hope you'll take the time to check it out once it is released. It might surprise you.

K.G. Wuensch

Addendum: Had you asked DAM users you would have heard that star ratings, color labels are rarely used at all because they are much too coarse. How would you go ahead and find a Mantis religiosa on say a sloe bush when asked to produce such an image for a panel in a nature reserve? I have about 1000 different subjects in my collection - all are nature images, the color tags are woefully inadequate to make any meaningful selections, I have done photography projects trying to photograph certain species spanning over 10 years, so your date search is ridiculously limited...

Brian Ramage

I am beginning to think the Library feature will be less than spectacular. borderline just a simple folder view....kinda like Mojave is now with photos in a folder.

The blog post showing off colors, star-ratings, favorites seems very basic. This is NOT exciting and new and simply the way others have used  in their DAMs. this is copying a system already and a very basic one at that. the blog post tries to show these great ways photographers can use those ratings but if a photographer is already using a DAM (or has in the past) we know what those are and how we can use them. And even Apple Photos and GooglePhotos use Favorites, so that is nothing special.

Will we see any concrete information in November showing off the Libraries that will launch in December? Not a few clips of scrolling images, or sorting by date (really nothing new there in the world of DAM). BUT Key Features that will set Luminar Libraries apart? 

On1 Photo Raw 2019 has a list of key features they are pushing in their latest release. these are exciting to customers and potential customers. Luminar simply says we have great things...ratings, favorites, scrolling, oh ahh but those are nothing NEW in the DAM world. Nothing that sets Luminar apart. It seems that Luminar Libraries will be on par with free Photo DAMs.

Michael Anderson

Planning ahead....I am importing my Lr catalog into Capture One Pro trial.  By end of the year....all will be revealed.  

George Rundt

Angela is the king of Spin, been hearing her lame repetitive excuses for 2 years now  on DAM and other topics. So sorry I bought from this company. 2plus years to develop DAM they must hire high school kids to do their programing. I uninstalled all their software and went back to my older version of LR and Photo elements. At least they gave what was promised. CEO promised DAM by the end of this year, now I see post sometime late 2019. I give up.

Torrey Betts

@George Rundt,

You should really take the time to read a little more thoroughly as well as check your emails from Skylum. The post mentions late 2019 for Luminar 2019. The DAM was already released.

Verlon Smith

I think his gripe is that the DAM features introduced are only marginally better than what already exists in Firnder.

Colin Grant

But we knew that would be the case ages ago. It is actually a little better than I thought it would be but it is really a pre-release beta rather than a 1.0 release imo. Needs stuff like keywords and searching to become of real value.

K.G. Wuensch

@Verlon, Finder is way more capable than Luminar currently is.

Verlon Smith

@Colin Grant there was the promise of a new system to free us from the shackles of old ways. It wasn’t just going to be a “checklist of must-have features.” So how does this radically alter my organizing workflow? Order by date? Tag by color?
    @skylum I do not see the grand vision. How is this an improvement over Lightroom or any of the competition? I’m sure you had something in mind, but this looks like what I did in my pre-DAM days in Windows Explorer; create a year folder, create a month folder, create an event folder, and copy photos.

Please sign in to leave a comment.