September DAM Update

Comments

104 comments

Rick Garvia

@Leila I certainly understand that, but it sort of rubs salt in the wound and gives the impression that Skylum is on auto-pilot. "Thank you for your patience, Sorry about that. Fixed next update."

When will this new update be issued and, for the record (again) I have nothing to update. The program was removed, at your suggestion.

Comment actions Permalink
    Guy Meacham

This "We're in very early beta testing of some key components, including the browser." statement blows me away, it's completely at odds with every other vague statement we have had from Skylum all year long!

If after nearly a year of development you are still at this stage how are you possibly going to be able to release a non beta version by 12/31. The only way that's going to happen, is like Liminar Windows, release it as finished product even though it isn't then have your paying customers do the beta testing for you for free.

Tom Pickering

Angela -

Since you're asking what parity issues are most important to us Windows users, the top of my list would be a Duplicate Layer function, which exists in the Mac version and virtually every other layer-based image editor in the world.  The lack of this typically cripples my workflow.  Plugin support is also important, as are gradient filters that allow the horizon to be moved up and down.  These are basics that have eluded your Windows developers since the release of Luminar 2018.  I've stopped watching the wonderful videos produced by folks like Jim Nix because they cannot be duplicated on my Windows version and I'm beginning to think they never will.  For months now, we've heard you and your workmates say that everything is on hold until the DAM is released.  Now we hear that you're in private early beta for the DAM, but you're preselling Aurora 2019 and Photolemur 3.0, so apparently you're not putting everyone on the DAM.  This is insane.

Verlon Smith

@Magarita I too have been disappointed by the missing DAM, but I have to disagree with your comment on censorship.

I was able to read your comment, as well as @Collin and some of my own less than enthusiastic ramblings. While less respectful posts might get deleted, credit where it is due and Skyrim is at least tolerant of criticism.

Michael Anderson

But until we fully see Aurora 2019 in action, we do not know if they put back items like luminosity masking at least as well as we had it a couple of years ago.   None of the preview videos on Youtube have shown anything about that feature.     I guess we will all know more in a couple of weeks.  

Colin Grant

@Denis Kotsee, thank you for that. Useful stuff re the sorting but without keywording support the dam is pretty valueless to me seeing as I use it extensively, as do all the major photo web portals. Absolutely amazed this is not there yet, especially as Skylum have supposedly debated the dam requirement with many leading photographers. All you have really built is an image browser it seems and one that is far less capable than software already out there. Why are you even bothering? Am I correct in concluding the there is no exif/iptc editing support either? Or am I mis-understanding?

Verlon Smith

Sorting without keywording seems a pretty big miss.  Is the intended workflow that we assign virtual albums to all photos relevant to a specific keyword?  That ratings, colors, and favorites handle this?  Both seem rather week in comparison.

Unable to edit metadata is another big miss.  For photos I scan in from 80 years ago, showing a 2018 capture date is misleading.  

As a DAM, how is Luminar better than, or even comparable to Lightroom, Apple Photos, or even Finder?  

Michael Anderson

I shoot with two identical bodies.  So when I import into Lr, I have Lr change the file names to "camera body serial number"-"4 digit sequence number".   This means as long as I do not shoot more than 10,000 files per day with the same body (not very likely),  I do not have to work about duplicate file names.  For auto folder and file naming/renaming, we need the library to be about to use any of the metadata files such as shoot date, camera body serial number,....etc.

The classic reference how how a good Library works is the Library and Import functions in Capture One Pro.

Saul Tavarez

Why not release beta versions of Luminar with the DAM? wouldn't users feedback and testing help you on addressing bugs while also providing the public with what they've been waiting for all this time?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Eddy,

Thank you so much for your kind words!! I'll be sure to pass them to our team. 

Anna V

Hi Torrey, 

Sorry for the inconveniences caused, please message us at support@skylum.com We will be glad to assist you and provide you with the more stable version :)

Concerning the continuous delivery, thank you for a great suggestion! Our developers do their best to release the updates as frequent as possible.  However, we will try to improve this process.

Ritchie Hill

Tried to send an email to the mail you listed in the beginning of this thread and just get a mail that says the mail is not delivered due to not working email addresse.

Denis Kotsee

@Ritchie Hill there's a typo in that email, sorry. Try support@skylum.com

@Rick Garvia we never remove posts that adhere to our community guidelines from the forum. Could you please point me to the thread where your comment was? In any case, feel free to repost it here, we'll make sure that it's seen. True, there are issues with stability at the moment but we are indeed working around the clock to fix them in the next update.

Rick Garvia

Could have been something I did, but the gist of it is the same: Luminar didn't run without crashing and the solution was to uninstall and wait for an update. I really don't want to come off as whiny, but I've used and continue to use several programs and I've never had the solution to a problem (when there is one) be "uninstall it and wait an undetermined time until we can figure it out. Thanks for your patience." I can't imagine calling Apple for tech support and having them tell me to unplug the computer and stop using it until they can eventually figure out the problem.

Candidly, ON1 and Lightroom work great. Your own Tonality software (which you've all but abandoned) works great. When Luminar works, I love it, but this crashing issue has been going on off and on for quite a while, and got really bad after the last update.

I couldn't give two hoots about DAM. Frankly, given the problems I've seen, I wouldn't feel confident storing images via Skylum. Just make a program that doesn't crash. That would make me happy.

Frank Fiorentino

so, now you are saying that there may be another public beta after this so called-internal beta?  Skylum...you are the kings and queens of spin. I want what I paid for otherwise give me my money back. This is beyond ridiculous. Do you all fee good about the messages you are sending?

Denis Kotsee

@Rick Garvia Do I understand it correctly that the issue you've reported concerns the Mac version? There's a known bug in the latest version that causes crashes. The fix is ready and will be included in the next update. At the moment we recommend switching to the previous stable version that you can get here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1yejnmxt6f3wcq/Luminar2018_Distribution_v1_2_0_4245.zip?dl=0

@Guy Meacham we're working on addressing the missing components, please let us know what features exactly do you have in mind, I might be able to provide you with more information about them.

Angela Andrieux

@Guy - I thoroughly understand your frustration and appreciate your feedback on this. I'll make sure your priorities are shared with our team.

Julia Kot

@Robert, I see exactly what you mean. Please drop us a line to support@skylum.com. We will figure something out for you. 

Angela Andrieux

@Guy - Quick update for you: I don't have a specific release date quite yet, but I just received confirmation that those two features will be added in Luminar 2018.

K.G. Wuensch

@Angela, so we need to pester you here to get some of the features when in fact you must achieve feature parity before releasing the DAM - anything less will result in problems for your ambassadors because I don‘t know how long they will lke to get the blame and damage their reputation when training they release can‘t be reproduced 1:1 on both platforms. 

What about the ill conceived heuristic behind the RAW conversion noise reduction you are so unduly proud of? The Windows version hasn‘t got that deal breaker function yet, so can I assume that if I request it here that you will disable it permanently on MacOS - that would be marvelous. I don‘t want that workflow destroying function on either platform - and I wouldn‘t know anyone with a sane mind who would base his workflow on such an encumbered RAW conversion. Yes, noise reduction in the RAW conversion can make sense but then it must not be decided arbitrarily by a heuristic noise detection but rather a set of transparent rules or even better a setting in the RAW conversion. 

Angela Andrieux

@Timothy - We won't be releasing Luminar 2019 until later next year so we will have time to address any bugs that become apparent after the release. We have no intention of leaving our L18 customers who choose not to upgrade with an unusable product.

Rick Garvia

@daniel - No problem. Lightroom works fine. I can wait. Just a thought, though. Maybe you should have changed your name from MacPhun to We're Working On It.

Maybe it's just me, but did you actually read my comment? I have no program. Your tech support had me uninstall it.I couldn't care less what the current program is, because I have nothing to compare it to. Honestly, the replies I get from Skylum seem a little tone deaf and are always followed up with some sort of apology for the misunderstanding, then a thank you for my patience.

Let me share an analogy. If I brought my new car into the dealer for service, and they told me, "we have no ETA on when we can fix it. Just don't drive it until we can come up with a repair. Thanks for your patience,"  how do you think that would fly?

Tom Murray
    •  

bourne.scott
       For those of you asking - the next version of Luminar will be out in 2018 - I can't give you a better answer than that - but it will ship in 2018. And every owner of Luminar 2018 will get it free. We're in very early beta testing of some key components, including the browser.

I'm very proud of the speed our team has delivered here. It must be experienced in person to really grasp how fast it is. I also love the fact that your images aren't forced into square boxes without regard for whether or not you shot a horizontal or vertical. This free-form approach is more natural and easier to navigate. I can't answer any questions about specific tools in the new version. I can suggest that anyone who approaches the product with a beginner's mind will be blown away by what it does do. I know I am.

Stay tuned...
    Daniel Scholz

@Rick - I understand your frustration. Since Luminar 2018 doesn't work for you now, you can request a refund by contacting us directly at support@skylum.com. I found your ticket in our system, it looks like you had an issue with "MpCurve", this bug will definitely be fixed in our next update. I would also recommend you to install the latest version of Luminar 2018, since an update is offered via a pop-up alert.

Rick Garvia

@Daniel Scholz Does the currently available version have the problematic MpCurve bug or was it only the version that I had and uninstalled? if the current version doesn't have that bug, this sounds like a reasonable solution. 

OK, so I need an activation code if I want to install a clean version. if you could email that to me at the address you have on file, that'd be great.

Brian Ramage

That BETA shot looks like the graphic that has been up for 'ages' showing off the COMING SOON DAM.

I am not too thrilled with the spacing but that is because I am old school in the idea of a grid housing objects to easily discern the differences on a glance, not a packed object base that 'looks nice' but harder to find. I suppose an old dog can learn new tricks though.

I also hate how on many DAM screenshots (Photos, On1, the above, and on Luminar's page) they show just a couple shots that may be related but seem to be random shots. For my usage, a DAM allows me to see all shots within a certain set. and MANY seem to be similar, this way I can easily pick out "the best" on a glance. I haven't really seen this idea of a SET of photos from the same photoshoot, so I can see how a 'normal' layout is. 

from the screenshot above i don't see anything "stand-out-ish" so perhaps that is a good thing instead of "rebuilding the wheel" 

Angela Andrieux

@Rick - Sorry for the confusion. It is not necessary for you to reinstall the software at this time. Since you're unable to use it, I'm guessing you wouldn't open the software often (if at all) to check if an update is available. Instead, I recommend keeping an eye on the Luminar 2018 Mac section here in the forum and we'll post when an update is available.

Rick Garvia

@angelaandrieux--

I'm actually shaking my head right now. Do you have any idea how many correspondences I've had with various Luminar/Skylum people that include the phrase "sorry for the confusion." I've been very clear all along on this. One of the email discussions I had with someone after I explained for the umpteenth time that I do not have the program installed anymore, ended with "sorry for the confusion. We'll email you when the update happens."

I'm not checking back to this forum for an undetermined amount of time. Why is that my responsibility and how often? Every day, every week, every two weeks on Tuesdays. every month? There are 3.5 months left in 2018, that's a rather large opening. Email me when this update happens. There are elements of Luminar that I find wonderful, but man, you make it really hard to recommend this product.

Angela Andrieux

@Rick - At the risk of sounding repetitive, I am truly sorry that your experience with our support team has been frustrating. We will also email notices about updates when they are live and will likely post about their availability in our Facebook groups. If that doesn't work for you, you can request a refund by emailing support@skylum.com.

Rick Garvia

@angela -- no refund required. As I've said numerous times, when the program works, I like it. That said, I think we've explored and discussed the shortcomings of Skylum to death. I'm OK to move forward and hope things (and by things I mean better and honest communication with customers and a stable product) will improve. Let's chalk it up to growing pains. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.