September DAM Update

Comments

81 comments

Saul Tavarez

Why not release beta versions of Luminar with the DAM? wouldn't users feedback and testing help you on addressing bugs while also providing the public with what they've been waiting for all this time?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Saul - For now we are conducting internal beta testing. We are, however, gathering a list of those interested in beta testing. You can email us at support@skylum.com to be added to the list. 

Guy Meacham

@Angela, does Luminar still intend to honor it's commitment of bringing functionality of Luminar for Windows 2018 up to the same level as the Mac version before 2019 is released? There are still many issues that need addressing in the Windows version before you could say that they were equal in functionality to the Mac version.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Eddy,

Thank you so much for your kind words!! I'll be sure to pass them to our team. 

Torrey Betts

Hi Angela,

I use Luminar to edit my photos almost daily and I throughly enjoy using the software. The only downside that I experience quite often is the amount of crashes that occur while editing. It's extremely frustrating to work on several layers of edits to only lose them and then having to redo them all again. My question in regards to this is, can the product move to more continuous delivery? Being a senior developer, I know that from the time of the last update a bunch of these crashes have most likely been fixed and they should be released on a more frequent basis (e.g. monthly). It not only improves my user experience, it'll gives new users a greater chance of not encountering these issues and possibly affecting their impressions of the software when it comes to that purchasing decision.

Anna Veres

Hi Torrey, 

Sorry for the inconveniences caused, please message us at support@skylum.com We will be glad to assist you and provide you with the more stable version :)

Concerning the continuous delivery, thank you for a great suggestion! Our developers do their best to release the updates as frequent as possible.  However, we will try to improve this process.

Andrew Hewitt

I'm sorry Angela, but I'm finding this appalling as customer service goes.

Many of us bought Luminar 2018 because of the expected DAM feature. It was a compelling reason for me to purchase it, as you'd obviously taken advantage of the furore over Lightroom's CC subscription changes, and I was one of those not wanting to go with their subscription plans.

I'm not quantifying value for money, or anything like that here. Luminar is a great app as it is. However, it's the very poor marketing tactics Skylum have employed that are, and what you have been promising is not being fulfilled. By the time Luminar 2019 arrives we might, if we're lucky, have used the DAM for a couple of months, when we have paid for it's use for over a year (since paying for it in the pre-release offer) by then, and then expected to pay again shortly after for the next upgrade.

Yes, I appreciate it's good value for money and all that, but it's not what I was sold.

Also remember that you state clearly that you don't have a subscription model, and it's "Luminar - pay once and enjoy forever". That's clearly not accurate, as you add a year onto the name and charge again for it.

I've bought your products since the early days, before CK, and the CK bundle, as well as Aurora, Aurora 2018, Luminar and Luminar 2018. Now I feel it's enough. I bought a bunch of Topaz plugins many years ago, and have not ever had to pay again for any of the products I bought from them, yet they still get updated.

I like Luminar and Aurora, but please start being more honest with your customers. You have good products, so don't spoil it with poor selling strategies.

Colin Grant

Will they ever change? All sorts of promises get released and never kept. I just went back to Adobe, it will have to be something really great to make me trust this company again. They should have stuck with Luminar as a plugin to LR and made it friendly to the other DAMs out there. But no they saw a way to make money and as a result have ruined the credibility of Skylum and some wonderful products. It is a crying shame!

Yes I miss Luminar as a LR plugin but fortunately there is Nik and Topaz out there.

Ritchie Hill

Tried to send an email to the mail you listed in the beginning of this thread and just get a mail that says the mail is not delivered due to not working email addresse.

Rick Garvia

Did my comment about how my program continually crashed, which led to the service tech asking me to remove the program and wait for an update actually get removed? 

I emailed yesterday, politely asking how long it would take to fix the problem so that I could use Luminar, which, when it works, is an easy to use and intuitive program. Here's the reply:

Hi Rick,

Our technical department is working hard to resolve not only this issue that is why it can take some time.

Hope for your patience and understanding.

I sincerely hope that those in charge realize that a photographer's life needs to move forward, not stall in the mud. There are other software programs that work, and I'm pretty sure we're all using them.

Denis Kotsee

@Ritchie Hill there's a typo in that email, sorry. Try support@skylum.com

@Rick Garvia we never remove posts that adhere to our community guidelines from the forum. Could you please point me to the thread where your comment was? In any case, feel free to repost it here, we'll make sure that it's seen. True, there are issues with stability at the moment but we are indeed working around the clock to fix them in the next update.

Rick Garvia

Could have been something I did, but the gist of it is the same: Luminar didn't run without crashing and the solution was to uninstall and wait for an update. I really don't want to come off as whiny, but I've used and continue to use several programs and I've never had the solution to a problem (when there is one) be "uninstall it and wait an undetermined time until we can figure it out. Thanks for your patience." I can't imagine calling Apple for tech support and having them tell me to unplug the computer and stop using it until they can eventually figure out the problem.

Candidly, ON1 and Lightroom work great. Your own Tonality software (which you've all but abandoned) works great. When Luminar works, I love it, but this crashing issue has been going on off and on for quite a while, and got really bad after the last update.

I couldn't give two hoots about DAM. Frankly, given the problems I've seen, I wouldn't feel confident storing images via Skylum. Just make a program that doesn't crash. That would make me happy.

Guy Meacham

@Angela, @ Denis,

Asked 2 days ago, no answer yet, can one of you answer please:

@Angela, does Luminar still intend to honor it's commitment of bringing functionality of Luminar for Windows 2018 up to the same level as the Mac version before 2019 is released? There are still many issues that need addressing in the Windows version before you could say that they were equal in functionality to the Mac version.

Colin Grant

Angela you say - " For now we are conducting internal beta testing. We are, however, gathering a list of those interested in beta testing. You can email us at support@skylulm.com to be added to the list". How does that statement reconcile to your CEO saying the DAM will be out  by the end of this year? It is pretty much mid September now. It is also true that you have been collecting names for beta testing for a while now - I know someone who is on it, the list that is and has been so for weeks.

Whilst here, I still use CK and you have said in the past that an update for that suite was in course. Is it any closer or are the suspicions that it is now abandonware true?

Angela Andrieux

@Guy - Sorry it took a few days for me to reply. With regard to parity - the two platforms are currently very close both in terms of features and performance. As for the few remaining features - they will be added depending on what our users most need. Can you tell us which features that are available on Mac and not on Windows that are most important to you?

Angela Andrieux

@Colin - I cannot guarantee that we will conduct a public beta or that everyone on that list will be invited to participate in private testing. However, for those who are interested, we are happy to take their info and will contact them when/if we release testing to a larger group.

As for the CK apps - they have officially transitioned to "Legacy" status and will not be receiving further updates.

Frank Fiorentino

so, now you are saying that there may be another public beta after this so called-internal beta?  Skylum...you are the kings and queens of spin. I want what I paid for otherwise give me my money back. This is beyond ridiculous. Do you all fee good about the messages you are sending?

Colin Grant

So the statement a few weeks/months back that an update to CK would be forthcoming was mis-information, And let us be honest, Angela, Skylum has no intention of running a public beta re Luminar does it? You are just saying anything to keep the punters quiet. Trouble is you are fast running out of original ideas!

So, for this software now dumped into legacy status - are you offering a nice upgrade price? Incidentally - just how many upgrades were there following the packaging of the apps into CK? How long did development continue after that?

Denis Kotsee

@Rick Garvia Do I understand it correctly that the issue you've reported concerns the Mac version? There's a known bug in the latest version that causes crashes. The fix is ready and will be included in the next update. At the moment we recommend switching to the previous stable version that you can get here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1yejnmxt6f3wcq/Luminar2018_Distribution_v1_2_0_4245.zip?dl=0

@Guy Meacham we're working on addressing the missing components, please let us know what features exactly do you have in mind, I might be able to provide you with more information about them.

Rick Garvia

@Denis Kotsee

I was using the Mac version. I did switch at the suggestion of tech support to a previous version (provided with a link), but for some reason, I have a pre-installed version. It was at that point that tech support suggested I remove the program and wait. The whole process has been unnecessarily complicated. I've been deleting, sending screen shots, deleting...it's maddening. If you could provide me with a link to a program that works and that contains the upgraded presets for which I've paid, I'd be grateful

Robert Simoneau

I purchased the Creative Kit on Dec 19,2017, on Dec 23th Angela Andrieux wrote on the then facebook support page in response to a problem reported by Robert Kiss "Angela Andrieux-Skylum "Unfortunately there are known issues with the CK apps right now. We are working on an update for the entire Creative Kit and will hopefully get that out soon."  Now instead it is Legacy software. I spent $129.99 for CK, $89 for Luminar 2018 for windows, and $89 for Aurora 2018, and have gotten little of any use of the apps. I would be willing to consider a "Class Action Suit" if anyone else is considering the same.

Guy Meacham

@Denis, @Angela,

So it seems you guys have given up on the promise that the same functionality will be available in both programs, that's a real shame. It shouldn't be up to us windows users (most of us who don't have a mac) to tell you whats missing so you can add it only if we ask for it. It's not the fact that there there are filters missing in one version compared to the other but that many of the filters in the Windows version don't work as well or correctly as the mac versions. many of these have been talked about in the Windows forum already. Are you saying you are only going to fix these if someone specifically asks now? There is a real problem documented by others already with some of the gradient filters not working correctly in the windows version, just one example.

One thing that is completely missing there is no plugin capabilities in the Windows version, but you know that already too!

I'm feeling more and more that us early windows users who saw promise in your program and believed Luminar's promises have just been beta testers who have had to pay for the privelidge :(

Angela Andrieux

@Guy - I'm sorry if our request came across wrong. We aren't asking you (or any of our customers) to keep tabs on the differences between the two platforms. However, your feedback is valuable in helping us prioritize those tools or differences in functionality that would make the biggest impact on your workflow.

Based on your comment above - would I be correct to assume that both the issue with the gradient and the ability to use 3rd party plugins would be of high value to you and your workflow?

Guy Meacham

Correct Angela, those are two things that I'm really missing. Please note that my frustration is not aimed at you or Denis or any Slylum employee  but with Skylum the company and Alex Tsepko. I mean we waited more than 2 months for an update then were really told next to nothing new about the dam DAM! 

Skylum (not the employees of Skylum) have treated their first 2017/18 Windows users very poorly but that's just my two cents and I'm sure worth significantly less than that to Alex!

Robert Simoneau

I appears that a post I made 12 hours ago has not cleared and ones from others at 9 & 10 hours have clear. I fear censorship is in play here. I hope not as I would have to post elsewhere. I shall repost in case it got lost.

I purchased the Creative Kit on Dec 19,2017, on Dec 23th Angela Andrieux wrote on the then facebook support page in response to a problem reported by Robert Kiss "Angela Andrieux-Skylum "Unfortunately there are known issues with the CK apps right now. We are working on an update for the entire Creative Kit and will hopefully get that out soon."  Now instead it is Legacy software. I spent $129.99 for CK, $89 for Luminar 2018 for windows, and $89 for Aurora 2018, and have gotten little of any use of the apps. I would be willing to consider joining a "Class Action Suit" if anyone else is considering the same.

Angela Andrieux

@Guy - I thoroughly understand your frustration and appreciate your feedback on this. I'll make sure your priorities are shared with our team.

Julia Kot

@Robert, I see exactly what you mean. Please drop us a line to support@skylum.com. We will figure something out for you. 

Angela Andrieux

@Guy - Quick update for you: I don't have a specific release date quite yet, but I just received confirmation that those two features will be added in Luminar 2018.

Douwe Huizinga

So there is no information about a specific release date. But why is there no blog post with some information about what to expect?  The software is already in beta ... and this info was promised to us to be released in August. Why can't you give us back some trust? Are there so many software issues, you are not certain what will make it to the release version?

K.G. Wuensch

@Angela, so we need to pester you here to get some of the features when in fact you must achieve feature parity before releasing the DAM - anything less will result in problems for your ambassadors because I don‘t know how long they will lke to get the blame and damage their reputation when training they release can‘t be reproduced 1:1 on both platforms. 

What about the ill conceived heuristic behind the RAW conversion noise reduction you are so unduly proud of? The Windows version hasn‘t got that deal breaker function yet, so can I assume that if I request it here that you will disable it permanently on MacOS - that would be marvelous. I don‘t want that workflow destroying function on either platform - and I wouldn‘t know anyone with a sane mind who would base his workflow on such an encumbered RAW conversion. Yes, noise reduction in the RAW conversion can make sense but then it must not be decided arbitrarily by a heuristic noise detection but rather a set of transparent rules or even better a setting in the RAW conversion. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.