Blending an edge between two composited images.

Comments

5 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tad,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but I think the Feather slider in the Mask menu might help.

Activate a mask (you can just click on the masking brush to do this if you've already created a mask) and then on the top left of the toolbar choose the Mask dropdown, and move the Feather slider to smooth the edges.

If you'd like you can post a screenshot or two of the project you're working on and I might be able to offer a better suggestion.

Comment actions Permalink
    Tad Rees

In the example below the upper half is part of an image I cut out of another image to overlay (composite) on the lower half image.  As you can see this leaves a very clear dividing line between the two images making it obvious that this is a composite.  I want to remove this dividing line by smoothly blending the color and luminance between the two image edges so that it looks natural.  One of the old programs I used to use is called FXfoto which can no longer be registered or purchased so I can't use it anymore.  It had a "Blemish Removal" tool, that let you zoom in the brush so that the edges of the brush cover a couple pixels on either side of what you wanted to blend and it would basically replace the white line with a gradiation of color and luminance between the edges of the brush.  I have yet to find an equivalent of this simple function in any other product and so I'm looking for a technique or method in your software to get the same job done.  The cloning tool makes me push one image into the other even with feathering and the erase tool won't deal with single pixel type issues like this and ends up looking more obvious when I try using that.

Angela Andrieux

I see. Did you try the Feather Mask suggestion posted above? I'm curious to know if that might be helpful in this instance. You can also try the Erase tool instead of the Clone/Stamp tool. It might get you closer to the result you're looking for.

Tad Rees

Thanks for the reply, as I've mentioned in both of my comments the erase tool actually makes it worse because it will do at least a dozen pixels in either direction of the target to be removed, apparently it has a limit to how small an area can be selected for erasure even though I mask it to the exact pixels I want removed in the line.  Feathering the mask won't help if I can't find a correction tool that does what I need in the first place,  Basically I'm looking for a way of anti-aliasing between the edges.  Right now the only way I can figure out to get what I want is to use paint software, use the color picker for a pixel on the edge and paint that pixel in the border between the two images and repeat all the way along the line.  An extremely time consuming process a blending / anti alias brush could do in seconds.  Thanks again for the help.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tad,

My mistake - I saw that you'd mentioned the clone/stamp tool, but missed the reference to the Erase tool.

Unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions for accomplishing this task, but I'll put a note in our feature request list and perhaps we can improve in this area in the future.

Please sign in to leave a comment.